Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda shoots dog in Longford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Did TV3 show the unedited piece?

They showed the piece when he fired...the Dog was so far away as not to be visible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

archer22 wrote: »
    They showed the piece when he fired...the Dog was so far away as not to be visible.

Can you confirm it wasn't the video that has already been posted here a few times and gives a better perspective on what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭yoke

Effects wrote: »
    I've been subject to the effects of a mild dose of pepper spray. It wasn't nice. I presumed it would have a similar effect on the breathing and vision of a dog.

Humans have receptors which respond to the capsaicin in chilies, while dogs don’t.

It’s possible for a human to desensitize themselves to pepper spray a little

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

archer22 wrote:

So the edited piece from Mrs Speilberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

banie01 wrote: »
    I've yet to see an edit of the video that shows a dog, let alone a dead one?
    I know it has been confirmed that a dog was killed and don't doubt it, but who has seen the video containing that?

The Garda would not have drawn a firearm without feeling threatened, and that he drew a gun rather than an asp should give an indication of the level of threat he felt was imminent.

It has reported on every single source of media that a dog was killed and yet you still don't believe it? Bias much?

• Advertisement

So a guard is not supposed to get involved when a crime has been reported and he is on the scene? Sure why have guards at all?

If a crime was reported to the Guards then 2 Gardaí in a police car would have been dispatched wouldn't you agree?

BBFAN wrote: »
    If a crime was reported to the Guards then 2 Gardaí in a police car would have been dispatched wouldn't you agree?

I'd agree unless it was reported that someone was in serious danger and the detective was near by. But yes a lone Garda arriving on scene is not standard practice.

tuxy wrote: »
    Can you confirm it wasn't the video that has already been posted here a few times and gives a better perspective on what happened?

The TV3 clip showed clearly the moment he fired...I do not see that on clip shown on page one here.

BBFAN wrote:

I wouldn't as at the time neither I or you know what resources were available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

The TV3 clip showed clearly the moment he fired...I do not see that on clip shown on page one here.

I just watched the tv3 news clip it was just a segment of the video posted on this thread.

• Advertisement

So they cut the clip further to make it look even worse for the garda :(
    The full clip shows signs that there is a dog very close to the detective. That traveller is reaching down and holding something low to the ground. When the tie is grabbed the garda says "get him to let go of me" as he aims at whatever is the thing that's been held low down.

Almost everyone on here has stated that you can't hear or see the dog on the video yet at the same time later saying the dog must have been savaging the Gardaí for him to shoot. Now which one is it? Seriously? Nail your hammer to the mast.

Facts are that 1. A dog is dead 2. 1 shot was fired.

So either the dog was a dumb dog who was savaging the Garda without a sound or he shot the dog out of spite because he knew he'd get in serious **** for shooting a person?

Whatever the case maybe, from the very beginning he looks like an absolute loolaa. He's not there in an official capacity. He's simply trying to act the big man to help his mate and it quite literally backfired on him.

I've no sympathy for anyone in this scenario except the dog. The travellers were obviously acting the dick, the person who had gone to get their car repaired from travellers was an idiot to deal with them and the Garda was a macho gob****e trying to act it to impress his mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Just imagine grabbing an armed police in a different country.

They would be lucky to be alive after it!

So they cut the clip further to make it look even worse for the garda :(
    The full clip shows signs that there is a dog very close to the detective. That traveller is reaching down and holding something low to the ground. When the tie is grabbed the garda says "get him to let go of me" as he aims at whatever is the thing that's been held low down.

There does not seem to be any immediate threat when he fired..the Dog was so far away from him as to be out of frame.

BBFAN wrote:
    He's not there in an official capacity. He's simply trying to act the big man to help his mate and it quite literally backfired on him.

How did you arrive at this nugget?

I wouldn't as at the time neither I or you know what resources were available.

Okay, so you clearly don't know that there are procedures in place for when someone places a call to 999?

There does not seem to be any immediate threat when he fired..the Dog was so far away from him as to be out of frame.

You need to watch the video on the first page, almost the entire frame is taken up by the garda's body at the time of the shot.

archer22 wrote:

Couldn't be that far away if he asked the Traveller to get him to let go....... Btw you can hear the guard ask this on the video Mrs Speilberg posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

BBFAN wrote: »
    Almost everyone on here has stated that you can't hear or see the dog on the video yet at the same time later saying the dog must have been savaging the Gardaí for him to shoot. Now which one is it? Seriously? Nail your hammer to the mast.

Facts are that 1. A dog is dead 2. 1 shot was fired.

So either the dog was a dumb dog who was savaging the Garda without a sound or he shot the dog out of spite because he knew he'd get in serious **** for shooting a person?

Whatever the case maybe, from the very beginning he looks like an absolute loolaa. He's not there in an official capacity. He's simply trying to act the big man to help his mate and it quite literally backfired on him.

I've no sympathy for anyone in this scenario except the dog. The travellers were obviously acting the dick, the person who had gone to get their car repaired from travellers was an idiot to deal with them and the Garda was a macho gob****e trying to act it to impress his mate.

Blame the man dealing with the travellers??

How did you arrive at this nugget?

He's on his own. Have you ever called the Gardaí in your life? Not a chance an armed detective would arrive if you called and said you were being assaulted.

Not a chance in hell. It has been said that rumour has it he was a friend of the person who owns the fan which seems a much more likely story wouldn't you agree?

Btw, I might add I have direct experience of ringing the Gardaí whilst being assaulted and NO-ONE arrived. You know why? Because they didn't have a car with 2 Gardaí in it available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

ebbsy wrote: »
    Love this shoot em up bang bang stuff.

More please.
    Mod note: ebbsy, don't post in this thread again,

Buford T. Justice

Blame the man dealing with the travellers??

For shooting the dog yes of course, who else is to blame?

You need to watch the video on the first page, almost the entire frame is taken up by the garda's body at the time of the shot.

On the TV3 video clip the guard is there with his arms extended holding the pistol in a two handed grip and there is a large empty space between him and what he fired at, apparently the Dog

Here's the full frame not cropped at the exact moment the shot was fired.
    And you claim to know for sure there was no dog near him?

4da3b7eca56f58af8785f1c4939e890d.png

Do you think it's a man or a dog that is trying to strangle the detective?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mea_k

I would shoot the dog too if he was threat to mine and others safety. Dog was not letting go of him. Dog was protecting owner and essentially became weapon used against garda. Any normal person would have done the same.

Here's the full frame not cropped at the exact moment the shot was fired.
    And you claim to know for sure there was no dog near him?

4da3b7eca56f58af8785f1c4939e890d.png

Watch the TV3 clip...its not a close up!

archer22 wrote:
    On the TV3 video clip the guard is there with his arms extended holding the pistol in a two handed grip and there is a large empty space between him and what he fired at, apparently the Dog

The 9th post on this thread shows the edited video from Mrs Speilberg have a look.

mea_k wrote: »
    I would shoot the dog too if he was threat to mine and others safety. Dog was not letting go of him. Dog was protecting owner and essentially became weapon used against garda. Any normal person would have done the same.

Any normal person would shoot a dog who was a threat to them?

Thanks be to jaysus we don't live in America. There'd be no dogs left in the country.

Watch the TV3 clip...its not a close up!

I will when you post the link as I can't find it.

• Advertisement

BBFAN wrote:
    Any normal person would shoot a dog who was a threat to them?

What's your suggestion if a dog is attacking you and you're armed, give it a doggie treat and tickle it's belly or protect yourself. Sensible answer now no bs please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement