Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

5 Water protesters jailed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Yes they really are idiots.Image not wanting to hand over more and more of your own money to German banks to ensure THEY recoup THEIR losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

A lot less than being locked up 24 hours a day and being guarded by God knows how many Prison officers is the answer to your question.

What about the assaults on the workers from GMC? Should they just be fined for those too?

I'm sure the country can afford to throw these twats inside for a few days without the whole country going into economic depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

Birneybau wrote: »
    Morons blocking the North Quays and O' Connell Bridge now, because, it helps their cause. :confused:

Should lift everyone of them bring them into that judge and lock em up aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

ankaragucu wrote: »
    Yes they really are idiots.Image not wanting to hand over more and more of your own money to German banks to ensure THEY recoup THEIR losses.

Nothing to do with German banks, just idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A lot less than being locked up 24 hours a day and being guarded by God knows how many Prison officers is the answer to your question.

Those prison officers will be there anyway. The gardai that have to police their court orders, arrest them, turn up in court etc plus the court time to deal with them, are optional.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Morons blocking the North Quays and O' Connell Bridge now, because, it helps their cause. :confused:

Crap .. need to get a bus on O'Connel Street going south shortly.

Traffic is completely stopped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Imagine not breaking the law and wasting taxpayers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Bob24 wrote: »
    Crap .. need to get a bus on O'Connel Street going south shortly.

Traffic is completely stopped?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0219/681355-water-charge-protesters-court/

She must have taken the day off work:

https://twitter.com/conorfhunt/status/568447016294080513/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

SweetChaos wrote: »
    This is fantastic one of them Derek Byrne was the one that heckled the President, about time they can see they are not above the law this is a good day

That has honestly made my day - let him sit in jail until he learns how to behave like an adult

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

Sadly our country hasn't quite grasped that concept yet.

Interestingly enough this was enacted late last year and should stop that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Yeah stay away from o Connell street if you can. They're all standing on the bridge blocking traffic. Couple of the these fools are even sitting right in front of cars. Gonna have to walk home or fork out 20 quid for a taxi because of these morons!! Bare in mind this was 10 minutes ok, might have changed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Were they killed?

Yeah stay away from o Connell street if you can. They're all standing on the bridge blocking traffic. Couple of the these fools are even sitting right in front of cars. Gonna have to walk home or fork out 20 quid for a taxi because of these morons!!

Cheers, will walk to Trinity and see if Dublin Bus has a plan to still have buses going from there ... I have faith!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

Cut their welfare. They are obviously not looking for a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bob24 wrote: »
    see if Dublin Bus has a plan to still have buses going from there ... I have faith!

clip on snow plough attachment would sort it sharpish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Why do they always decide to block the traffic? It doesn't help them or their cause, it just annoys and delays everyone else. Brings my piss to a boil every time.

They should be hosed off the road with water cannons next time IMO -protest away, just don't force others to sit around for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Stheno wrote: »
    See one of them was not in court as he had to be in a warm and sunny climate due to his asthma?:confused:

They didnt give a ****e about the asthma when they were out obstructing the work.

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    They should be hosed off the road with water cannons next time IMO

I think they'll refuse to pay the water bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

It annoys me that these were jailed when the parasite who broke into my house & stole my things was smirking as he walked by my house this week. He has multiple previous convictions.

• Advertisement

What about the assaults on the workers from GMC? Should they just be fined for those too?

I'm sure the country can afford to throw these twats inside for a few days without the whole country going into economic depression.

OPs reference didn't cite assault merely infringement of the order. As much as you want to put other people's crimes on them it's best to hold off unless they do assault someone.

As said before it's more expensive to lock someone up than deal with them through a fine. I've highlighted in a previous post the relevant legislation that now allows for collection of the fines through wages/dole/pension.

Also there are people who have committed much more serious crime that deserve to be in prison.

Generally people who tend to give out water protesters are those who are concerned about the money we spend as a nation. So would it not make more sense, and cost less money, to fine them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    That has honestly made my day - let him sit in jail until he learns how to behave like an adult
    Anyone stupid enough to wear a 'Je suis Derek' cap has to be jailed even if only for being a clown.

OPs reference didn't cite assault merely infringement of the order. As much as you want to put other people's crimes on them it's best to hold off unless they do assault someone.

As said before it's more expensive to lock someone up than deal with them through a fine. I've highlighted in a previous post the relevant legislation that now allows for collection of the fines through wages/dole/pension.

Also there are people who have committed much more serious crime that deserve to be in prison.

Generally people who tend to give out water protesters are those who are concerned about the money we spend as a nation. So would it not make more sense, and cost less money, to fine them?

Answer me this -

Do you really think these people are going to pay a fine?

"Oh right, yeah, I've been protesting about how I won't give the government another penny of my money, but shur I'll pas this fine and never go on about it again"

Those prison officers will be there anyway. The gardai that have to police their court orders, arrest them, turn up in court etc plus the court time to deal with them, are optional.

Yes but the space won't be. I would much rather see someone who committed a serious crime in jail than a water protester.

If the state deems this more important than rapists or bank robbers well then no one should be surprised about all the resources that have to pour into policing the people referenced in the article.

Yes but the space won't be. I would much rather see someone who committed a serious crime in jail than a water protester.

If the state deems this more important than rapists or bank robbers well then no one should be surprised about all the resources that have to pour into policing the people referenced in the article.

Have there been any rape reports or bank robberies in the news lately?

I'm sure if any pop up the state will find space for them somewhere too.

Answer me this -

Do you really think these people are going to pay a fine?

"Oh right, yeah, I've been protesting about how I won't give the government another penny of my money, but shur I'll pas this fine and never go on about it again"

No one wants to pay a fine. Whether they choose to or not doesn't matter anymore as there is now a way of it being taken from dole/wages/pension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

What rapists or bank robbers are not in prison because of a lack of places?

No one wants to pay a fine. Whether they choose to or not doesn't matter anymore as there is now a way of it being taken from dole/wages/pension.

It matters to the state if they don't.

They're saving time, effort and money sending them straight to prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Gardai need to get the batons out and clear O'Connell Street and other blocked routes, using force where necessary.

• Advertisement

wyndham wrote: »
    Gardai need to get the batons out and clear O'Connell Street and other blocked routes, using force where necessary.

Ah but they have no right to touch these people "peacefully" protesting

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement