Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 Water protesters jailed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,569 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Knine wrote: »
    It annoys me that these were jailed when the parasite who broke into my house & stole my things was smirking as he walked by my house this week. He has multiple previous convictions.

I sympathise with you on that but i have none for these lads. There are other ways to protest. However it seems that bankrupting the country does not carry a jail sentence which is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Roads still blocked? I am leaving work in a few

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Ah but they have no right to touch these people "peacefully" protesting

They can arrest them for a multitude of reasons; refusing to obey the directions of a guard, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yes but the space won't be. I would much rather see someone who committed a serious crime in jail than a water protester.

If the state deems this more important than rapists or bank robbers well then no one should be surprised about all the resources that have to pour into policing the people referenced in the article.

People are not being given suspended sentences for rape or bank robbery to keep spaces in the jail for contempt of court cases, much as I'm sure you'd love that to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

They will be out before monday and claiming a victory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

It matters to the state if they don't.

They're saving time, effort and money sending them straight to prison.

Do you not understand, the referenced legislation now makes it possible to take money from them, whether they agree or not.

No their not, it's way more expensive to lock someone up than deal with them in other ways.
    Valetta wrote: »
    What rapists or bank robbers are not in prison because of a lack of places?
    Have there been any rape reports or bank robberies in the news lately?

I'm sure if any pop up the state will find space for them somewhere too.
    Have there been any rape reports or bank robberies in the news lately?

I'm sure if any pop up the state will find space for them somewhere too.

I know a fella who took part in a tiger kidnapping in 2012, tagged and sitting in his house with a non-custodial sentence. The state chose to let him have a degree of liberty and are choosing to send water protesters to jail. To me that's crazy.

The argument isn't literally about rapists or bank robbers or handbag snatchers, it's about sending water protesters to jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

The state chose to let him have a degree of liberty and...

From which institution did he receive the award?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

EyesClosed wrote: »
    Roads still blocked? I am leaving work in a few

Just got the bus there 5 mins ago. They were in front of the GPO blocking traffic going north. Going south was alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

RobertKK wrote: »
    Good on the judge

not at all.
    RobertKK wrote: »
    these idiots were stopping people from doing an honest day's work, maybe because they were too busy protesting to be working themselves.

good. these heroes were right. the installers are not doing an honest days work. installation of the water metres must be disrupted come what may. these boys will go down in history.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Do you not understand, the referenced legislation now makes it possible to take money from them, whether they agree or not.

No their not, it's way more expensive to lock someone up than deal with them in oth

I know a fella who took part in a tiger kidnapping in 2012, tagged and sitting in his house with a non-custodial sentence. The state chose to let him have a degree of liberty and are choosing to send water protesters to jail. To me that's crazy.

The argument isn't literally about rapists or bank robbers or handbag snatchers, it's about sending water protesters to jail.

They were jailed for not doing as the court legally told them to do. The fact their original reason for being in court was blocking people from legally working is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Bob24 wrote: »
    Just got the bus there 5 mins ago. They were in front of the GPO blocking traffic going north. Going south was alright.

Thanks, pity I am going north

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

not at all.

good. these heroes were right. the installers are not doing an honest days work. installation of the water metres must be disrupted come what may. these boys will go down in history.

Oh, hello you.

From which institution did he receive the award?

UCD, like all the best crooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

not at all.

No offence now, but you are really starting to get on my nerves

. these boys will go down in history.

yep. Even idiots get in the history books . They aren't reserved for those in the right.

fedor.2. wrote: »

I know how you feel :)

SweetChaos wrote: »
    This is fantastic one of them Derek Byrne was the one that heckled the President, about time they can see they are not above the law this is a good day

they are above the law as they have to stop and disrupt these metres from being installed. its only a great day for gambling debt tax supporters like yourself. the president was only heckled, not nice but hardly the end of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

not at all.

Disgraceful comment.

They'll go down all right, just not in history.

Foxhound38 wrote: »

How is it that it wasn't political policing before he was arrested? The cases of the people in the op are going on longer than a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

They'll go down in history for being a punch of dole scrounging dickheads with nothing better to do that harass other people.

I doubt any of them have a day's work between them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

fedor.2. wrote: »

Remember the time he thought Slavs was a mis-spelling of Slaves. Oh, the laughter we had.

They were jailed for not doing as the court legally told them to do. The fact their original reason for being in court was blocking people from legally working is irrelevant.

No it's not irrelevant, if anything at al it's very relevant. We have chosen to criminalise people who have protested, not robbed a bank, raped someone, robbed a shop. As I said before they should be fined, have the money withdrawn from their wage/dole/pension, and let go. Steadily increase the fine and they will eventually stop. Sending them to prison is a waste of resources.

If it was up to people like you and the other restless keyboard warriors they would be in jail with God knows how many others. Waste of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

they are above the law
    I hope they used that one in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Nothing like seizing the initiative and organising a protest march a few days from now. With marshals, flags, a band or two maybe. Inspiring speeches, maybe even some music from someone with a beard and a guitar.

God above, we have the most useless left wingers in the world. Any decent European leftwing party would have called everyone out right now to march on Mountjoy and shut the town down. Thankfully for the rest of us they haven't.

Sadly our country hasn't quite grasped that concept yet.

No doubt these idiots would just claim inability to pay anyway. Jail the lot of them until the meters have been installed.
    to costly. death to irish water

not at all.

Heroes? they went down alright :).

The installers are paying a tax on their wage, spending it in local shops so whats not honest about that?
    If you are not going to pay the charge then what difference is the meter going in to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

not at all.

What is it that you work as?

If you went into work one day and your boss assigned you a job that you really didn't want to do would you quit? Knowing you've got a family to feed?

Doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

• Advertisement

What about the assaults on the workers from GMC? Should they just be fined for those too?

I'm sure the country can afford to throw these twats inside for a few days without the whole country going into economic depression.
    the gmcc eire lot gave back as good as they got. no the country couldn't afford it without serious hardship upon all. gmcc and irish water must be destroyed for the greater good as the whole thing is being used to bring in more revenue for the banks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement