Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 Water protesters jailed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I had a few pints of dodgy Caledonia last night. The barrel must have been sitting there ages. Im like a broken ice cream machine today

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

They would have got less jail time if they robbed the Motor Tax office

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Good on the judge, these idiots were stopping people from doing an honest day's work, maybe because they were too busy protesting to be working themselves.

Hopefully the person who bit a water meter installer is jailed next.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

RobertKK wrote: »

Hopefully the person who bit a water meter installer is jailed next.
    Well hopefully they won't put him down ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

This is fantastic one of them Derek Byrne was the one that heckled the President, about time they can see they are not above the law this is a good day

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Martyrs are generally dead, maybe that's the next step in their cunning plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Thursday just got better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I am ****ing delighted after reading that,

Literally made my day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

Fair enough they were contempt of court, a fine rather than prison would have been more appropriate.

Yet again the organs of the state not realising that there are finite amount of resources to put to good use and in this case it has failed to realise that.

It also makes you wonder do we have the right of civil disobedience in this country. I'm going with no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

I'll give the potential of this thread a "3 Popcorn" rating

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wouldn't have jailed them, as its exactly what they wanted. they are now martyrs
    Not really. This isn't some grand ideological movement, just some thugs who are able to make a quick whiparound to gather more thugs together. They turn up to these events to cause trouble and get into fights with the Gardai, not to make a point about civil rights (and wrongs).

Cut off the head and the body dies. Without these guys cheerleading the rent-a-mob crowd, the violent element in these protests won't be bothered turning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The guy with a leather jacket on the second picture is really dressed to impress ...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Fair enough they were contempt of court, a fine rather than prison would have been more appropriate.

Yet again the organs of the state not realising that there are finite amount of resources to put to good use and in this case it has failed to realise that.

It also makes you wonder do we have the right of civil disobedience in this country. I'm going with no.
    cos they'll happily pay a fine Yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I don't think they are martyrs I just think they're idiots.

Do you really think these people will pay a fine if they think they don't have to pay for water?

Jail sentences were a bit lenient IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'll give the potential of this thread a "3 Popcorn" rating

I'll raise that to four by suggesting that those imprisoned are probably on social welfare.

cos they'll happily pay a fine Yeah?

More than likely what will happen with these people is that they will be brought to the Joy, looked at by the prison officer, told where to sit for the day and then told to go home and not to cause any more trouble.

Locking them up does two things, it costs money (a considerable amount) and takes a place away from a real scumbag who would happily rob your Granny and rape your Ma.

Also, they've infringed a court order, not exactly the same as doing over a Post Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

seamus wrote: »
    Not really. This isn't some grand ideological movement, just some thugs who are able to make a quick whiparound to gather more thugs together. They turn up to these events to cause trouble and get into fights with the Gardai, not to make a point about civil rights (and wrongs).

Cut off the head and the body dies. Without these guys cheerleading the rent-a-mob crowd, the violent element in these protests won't be bothered turning up.

but there are many more heads to take their place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

They were stranded not jailed and given some WD-40 as ironic punishment

• Advertisement

Do you really think these people will pay a fine if they think they don't have to pay for water?

Jail sentences were a bit lenient IMO.

Where to after jail sentences being lenient, capital punishment?

Subtract fine from dole/wages/pension. Much like is being done with the Local Property Tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

More than likely what will happen with these people is that they will be brought to the Joy, looked at by the prison officer, told where to sit for the day and then told to go home and not to cause any more trouble.

Locking them up does two things, it costs money (a considerable amount) and takes a place away from a real scumbag who would happily rob your Granny and rape your Ma.

Also, they've infringed a court order, not exactly the same as doing over a Post Office.
    How much money and time should be continuously wasted bringing them to court or fining them over and over?

Subtract fine from dole/wages/pension. Much like is being done with the Local Property Tax.

Sadly our country hasn't quite grasped that concept yet.

No doubt these idiots would just claim inability to pay anyway. Jail the lot of them until the meters have been installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

They are twats not martyrs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

See one of them was not in court as he had to be in a warm and sunny climate due to his asthma?:confused:

Stheno wrote: »
    See one of them was not in court as he had to be in a warm and sunny climate due to his asthma?:confused:

Utter ****e. No doubt s/he was obstructing during these protests and if a Guard laid a finger on they they'd have been "assaulting" a disabled person or some ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Stheno wrote: »

Probably covered by medical card..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Should have just beat the ****e out of someone and break into their house. Suspended sentences all round.

How much money and time should be continuously wasted bringing them to court or fining them over and over?

A lot less than being locked up 24 hours a day and being guarded by God knows how many Prison officers is the answer to your question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Morons blocking the North Quays and O' Connell Bridge now, because, it helps their cause. :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement