Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Moyà throwing them all under the bus

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/riverdances-moya-doherty-says-rte-board-did-sign-off-on-toy-show-the-musical-as-redacted-names-released-in-report/a111213438.html

Riverdance’s Moya Doherty says RTÉ board did sign off on Toy Show the Musical, as redacted names released in report

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Technically it's a license for having a TV. Do with it as you please.

Those going to court have had many opportunities to buy a licence or pay the fine before jail comes into the picture. As I understand it it's a quick visit anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,516 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nobody is in reality getting jailed for not having a TV licence and no serial offenders are being let out because of TV licences.

Nobody who has bought a TV since analogue switch-off (since before that, actually) has to buy a box to receive Saorview.

The licence funds more than just TV.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Yes but the vast bulk of it goes to fund RTE! We all can see how this has been handled..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Yeah RTÉ needs to change. The TV licence system and funding of public service broadcasting is a different situtation.

Sinn Féin's plan of €140m is too little.

All TV's now have Soarview as standard, you might need to put up an outdoor or attic aerial but, I have seen Saorview work very well in many areas just on a standard set of Rabbit Ears.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭feelings

So only 20 of 26 gave permission for their name to be released. Are we allowed speculate who the other six are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭saabsaab

How about 5 per month on Elecrticity and 1 a month on mobile phones. Difficult/Impossible to evade and would cover virtually everyone plus relatively painless.

1. Person 1 (Ms. Susan Ahern, Board of Director Member and Audit and Risk Committee Member)
    2. Person 2 (Mr. Richard Collins, CFO of RTÉ and Board Director of RTÉ Commercial Enterprises DAC)
    3. Person 3 (Mr. Rory Coveney, Director of Strategy)
    4. Person 4 (Ms. Eimear Cusack, Director of Human Resources)
    5. Person 5
    6. Person 6 (Mr. Julian Erskine, External Consultant)
    7. Person 7
    8. Person 8 (Mr. David Harvey, Board of Director Member)
    9. Person 9 (Mr. Daire Hickey, Board of Director Member and Board Director of RTÉ Commercial Enterprises DAC)
    10. Person 10 (Mr. Jim Jennings, Director of Content)
    11. Person 11 (Mr. Ian Kehoe, Board of Director Member and Audit and Risk Committee Member and Board Director of RTÉ Commercial Enterprises DAC)
    12. Person 12 (Ms. Deborah Kelleher, Board of Director Member)
    13. Person 13 (Mr. Adrian Lynch, Director of Audience Channels Marketing in RTÉ)
    14. Person 14 (Mr. PJ Mathews, Board of Director Member)
    15. Person 15
    16. Person 16 (Ms. Paula Mullooly, Director of Legal Affairs and Group Secretary)
    17. Person 17
    18. Person 18 (Mr. Connor Murphy, Board of Director Member, and Board Director of RTÉ Commercial Enterprises DAC)
    19. Person 19
    20. Person 20 (Ms. Anne O’Leary, Board of Director Member and Chair of the Audit and Risk Committee)
    21. Person 21 (Ms. Geraldine O’Leary, Director of Commercial and Board Director of RTÉ Commercial Enterprises DAC)
    22. Person 22
    23. Person 23 (Mr. Jonathan Ruane, Board of Director Member)
    24. Person 24 (Mr. Robert Shortt, Board of Director Member and Audit and Risk Committee Member)
    25. Person 25 (Mr. Richard Waghorn, Director of Operations, Transformation & Technology)
    26. Person 26 (Ms. Moya Doherty, Chair of the RTÉ Board until November 2022).

______

Yesterday

The report only really mentions

Person 3 (Mr. Rory Coveney, Director of Strategy)

Person 6 (Mr. Julian Erskine, External Consultant)

Person 26 (Ms. Moya Doherty, Chair of the RTÉ Board until November 2022)

The missing 6 are not really mentioned in the report. It's interesting that so few had so little to say.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

140 million for the executives to **** on top of the license paying public with sicknotes,140 euro is too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Neither of my TVs have Saorview built in. Not sure how old they are but they are not "smart". They are stupid flatscreen TVs.

Really? What make and model are they? Do they have Freeview built in or a satellite tuner. I have a 13 year old TV with Saorview from Walker.

______

Yesterday

______

Yesterday

Plus nowadays, you could have a family of 4, 4 phones, 4 tablets, 4 laptops, all accessing RTE content but no TV so no license.

There are students up and down the country whose student accomodation isn't big enough to fit a TV in, so they watch the Sunday Game or whatever on their phone. No TV, so no License.

I'm looking to upgrade my digital TV package and Sky are pushing Sky Stream which looks to be the future. No cable connection, no satelite, just stream it, which means you could have a monitor plugged into the sky box not a television, so no TV license required, but you can watch RTE.

You are saying 140 million of taxpayers money isn't enough, they will have some sham review, sacrifice one or two and it will be business as usual, how many times will that old trick keep working?

The one or two with the biggest pensions so winner winner.

The one im "looking" at right now is a Toshiba, I bought it for my dad for his 70th so its 16 years old. It has a Sky box plugged into it. No freeview.

So you have a TV that predates Saorview by 3 or so years. Many people have upgraded, very few TV sold since 2011 that have not been soarview approved.

The TV you have still has a tuner and thus requires a TV licence.

I would say regardless of how we pay for the National Public Service Broadcaster, it has been mismanaged from the start. It is a failed public service broadcaster, and you may as well go to the pub and by a round for everyone with 160 euro because that's what RTÉ management do.

______

Yesterday

I am because I am looking about this from the point of view of actual public service broadcasting not RTÉ.

As I say, you need to fix RTÉ before you change the way we pay for public service broadcasting. My preference is to split RTÉ, and to get rid of the company completely. But any new or existing public service broadcaster won't get very far with 140m, on top of paying for local media and broadcast services.

______

Yesterday

It has a TV tuner but can't receive RTE, and then they wonder why people dont comply with this bullsh1t of a "law".

Its my fathers TV, and he was exempt from the license because he was over 65.

• Advertisement

Who watches or listens, not many people under fifty that I know anyway, don't get me started on tg4 , just pissing millions away with jobs for friends and relatives,sink or swim,if they can produce good shows efficiently they will get revenue,less would be more not the more money you are suggesting.

In fairness this was known about on the introduction of Digital Terrestrial TV, that many TV's would no longer be supported, I'd say 90% of all TV currently in use have a digital tuner, while I'd say 99% of those sold are all Soarview approved.

Is your opposition to Public Service Broadcasting/media?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Whats wrong with TG4? By all accounts, they appear to be a well run organisation who produce quality programming for an agreed budget. If RTE cut their spend on programming/flipflops/agencies to match their budget, they wouldn't be in this mess. Instead it's spend beyond their means and look for more.

Also your skybox is a TV, under the law you need a licence for any device that receive a signal either terrestrial or via satellite, and the TV itself needs on even though those signals are no longer available.

They only way around being exempt is to insure that you have no device with any form of TV tuner on the premises even if you only had an old VCR you'd still be required to get a licence.

______

Yesterday

I don't think it's a coincidence that three of the first four letters in your username spell rte ....

lol anyone here will tell you that I have been very anti-RTÉ over the last years, and I have nothing to do with the broadcaster in anyway shape or form. They'd not have me. and I want to split them up and want full reform.

I have no problem with you having the opinion that you don't want to have a public service broadcaster that is your opinion and its one that we don't often get.

I was once a different user many years ago but decided to change and happened to go with RoTelly (Republic Of Telly if you remember, wasn't a major fan but just suited as I'd be mainly talking about Broadcasting on Boards).

Oh and I haven't paid my TV licence in the last 3 years, they can bring me to court.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

i didnt get my rte flip-flops yet so leave them out :)

the few times ive managed to watch TG4 it seems good..

on a more serious note...after the latest shite to come out rte needs to be closed until the garda fraud squad is brought in and finish their investigation...keep the one telly station and one radio station going with a few lads to keep the servers/transmitters going,run the archives as tv,break for news at 06:00/08:00/12:00/18:00/22:00 have a guy/girl to read that(radio and tv) but close it down now before any more of public(OUR)money is flushed down the jacks...all the staff out and be re-interviewed for their job,if they had no hand or part in any of the fraud thats gone on..yeah maybe you can have your job back...no more half a mill plus for talking utter scutter on the radio(joe duffy im looking at you) in fact no more super wages for the "talent". yes sounds harsh but enough is enough ffs...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

@Baba Yaga "break for news at 06:00/08:00/12:00/18:00/22:00" They don't even do that on TV now ! Unions would be up in arms if you get them to run a news programme on TV after 11pm or before 1pm!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

let the unions be up in arms...havnt any time for unions after what was done by them in my industry,but they still looked for their sub every week!!

id jump at the chance to read the news,could do it from home nowadays on a zoom call into the station,get the tech lads to beam it out country-wide,sure id only have to wear a nice shirt and maybe a tie,have me superman shorts and flip-flops on under the table!

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Who do you think you are….. David McCullough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

So this is what your TV License is paying for ... Loreal moments:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Karppi

Says it all, really. Speaks volumes whilst they thumb their noses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Karppi

Remember that scene in Alien? The one where Ripley initiates the Scuttle Procedure of the Nostromo? This paitr have just initiated the Scuttle Procedure of RTE.

All hands abandon ship, all hands abandon ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭jmcc

There's a whole Wayne's World vibe there. Dee's World. Party time! Excellent! :)

Regards...jmcc

With bags of money and fat pensions, laughing at all the suckers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭political analyst

Going by media coverage, it seems that the current government seems to be on course to do something about the funding of public-service broadcasting before the next general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

A genuine question… if you are on sick leave but retired early, can you still draw your pension?

Is Dee Forbes drawing an early pension? I understand she’s under 65 but I’d almost guess the RTE pensions can kick in around 50/55?

Where are the investigative journalists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

"Who watches or listens, not many people under fifty that I know anyway..."

This is the elephant in the room that seems to be completely ignored. Younger people are watching significantly less TV than older generations.

From a recent Ofcom report in the UK.

People aged 16-24 now only spend 53 minutes watching broadcast TV on the average day, while those aged 65 and over are spending 5 hours and 50 minutes in front of the box each day.

Broadcast TV is in serious decline, advertising revenue will start to decline as well.

RTE are increasingly going to want viewers who don't use their services, to fork out more and more through licence fees to keep them afloat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Once the licence fee fee is replaced with a universal charge or exchequer funding, then RTE becomes free to drop quality and skimp on production values knowing that people can't walk away from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Theyre after signing off 500m to BAM to continue the scandal at the new hospital. Committing to fund RTE from exchequer funding/an extra unavoidable charge will be a drop in the ocean for them, and will also be delivered as a quid pro quo ahead of an election - "i'll give you this, you report that," etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭squonk

Thoughts and prayers for Dee Forbes. Hope she recovers from her long and debilitating illness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The person named as writer has no idea who wrote the final product.

These people couldn't organise a CD collection.

I don’t see the point of today’s committee. Most broadcasts are already outlinjngbwhstvRTE members will say. It’s grandstanding for the committee TDs ‘in an election year’ and they’re still ‘seeking advice’ on getting those I’ll executives well enough to attend.

So not only are RTE pissing away iur money but now this committee is as well. Not a bit will happen after today’s hearing. A diligent person would have expected a sudden outbreak of illness after the hearings last June and would have put measures in place to counteract that by now. So, really, a massive waste of time and money all round and we’re somehow expected to not realise we’re ultimately footing the bill for all this.

That story is dated today but I read it weeks if not months ago??

Scrap the cap!

SF are proposing not only to end the TV licence going forward, but an amnesty for anyone who hasn't paid

This is going to lead to a complete collapse of RTE's income. Perhaps intentional as there is certainly no love lost there.

They're comparing it to water charges, but not only were those who didn't pay let off the hook, those who had paid were refunded. There's no feckin' way anyone who's paid their TV licence is getting refunded.

Scrap the cap!

It’ll be vastly unpopular though if a broadcasting charge is brought in with people who haven’t paid facing a bill of potentially several years non payment. If Revenue collect they might even add interest. That’s a bad look for any government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

This whole RTE debacle is beyond silly at this point. Many of the former board members are taking us for fools. This toothless Oireachtas committee is only faffing about now. The government need to do a lot more and the Gardai/Revenue should be involved. Minister Martin has done nothing.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement