Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

GRACKEA wrote: »
    I just finished the Country Girls trilogy by Edna O Brien. Oh my god I tore through them in 5 days. The characters and situations were so accurate and believable that I put the book down numerous times feeling second hand emotions and anxiety.

I feel like leaving my partner, getting sterilized, and living the rest of my life as a "savage". I want to read everything the author's ever written.

*orders books* :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

GRACKEA wrote: »
    I feel like leaving my partner, getting sterilized, and living the rest of my life as a "savage". I want to read everything the author's ever written.

They should put that quote on the cover!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Xofpod wrote: »
    Interested to hear your opinion. I'm a big fan but Beatlebone just didn't click for me. Might give it another go though.

It's superb, very dark & oddly funny ... well not "oddly" it is Kevin Barry after all. He is just getting better & better.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭minnow

The Shipping News, by Annie Proulx

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

minnow wrote: »
    The Shipping News, by Annie Proulx

Love Annie Proulx.

• Advertisement

Finished The Gamal by Ciaran Collins ... very, very impressed, both heartbreaking & funny & very original writing style which I loved.

Currently reading Different Class by Joanne Harris & listening to Colum McCann's Dancer on audio ... not simultaneously of course.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Daisies wrote: »
    About half way through A Little Life and really enjoying it

Finished A Little Life. Loved it, heart wrenching, beautifully written. Started on The Bean Tree by Barbara Kingsolver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Just started The Call Of The Wild by Jack London.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished Violin by Anne Rice. One of her stand alone books but still classic Anne Rice.

Just picked up Shadowplay by Joseph O'Connor from the library ... weekend sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Half way through the Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov, apparently Elon Musk's favourite book, its very apparent why from the technological prophesy to the political intrigue .

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Normal People, by Sally Rooney.
    Had been put off by the god awful " Salinger for the Instagram generation" sh1te but I found it be a brilliant read.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

They are making it into a film at the moment.

Frankissstein by Jeanette Winterson ... a hundred pages in & not loving it to be honest

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

New Home wrote: »
    They are making it into a film at the moment.

Think it's a TV series rather than a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Spill Simmer Falter Wither, by Sara Baume, and There There, Tommy Orange

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Xofpod wrote: »
    Spill Simmer Falter Wither, by Sara Baume, and There There, Tommy Orange

I'm reading that too, ATM. Gorgeous.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

rading The Rosie Project at the moment, a nice, easy read.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Blazedup

Star of the Sea

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead. Superb book and Pulitzer winner in 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

is_that_so wrote: »
    The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead. Superb book and Pulitzer winner in 2017.

I've just finished this also, been on my TBR pile for a while. Great read with excellent character development.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've also just started Period Power by Maisie Hill which looks like it could be very educational.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭eire4

Blazedup wrote: »
    Star of the Sea

What did you think of it? personally I liked it. Thought it was very good and well written by Joseph O'Connor.

I'm reading "The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto" by Mitch Albom (his "The Next Person You Meet in Heaven", which I had read just before this, wasn't up to his usual standards, IMO) - not bad, but not mindblowingly good, so far, but I'm in a hurry to finish it because I need to return it to the Library by Friday. I'm also still reading "My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologises" by Fredrik Backman, "Spill Simmer Falter Wither" by Sarah Baume, and "Dilbert 2.0" by Scott Adams, and I've more waiting for me. I pick one up and leave the others depending on what mood I'm in, what room I'm in, or where I'm going. It's like a smörgåsbord of stories! :)

Just starting into The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭pavb2

eire4 wrote: »
    What did you think of it? personally I liked it. Thought it was very good and well written by Joseph O'Connor.

Yes, I read Star of the Sea a few years ago and just took it out for another re-read.

Constantinople: The Last Great Siege - Roger Crowley

This is one of the best works of historical fiction which gives an account of the fall of the Byzantine capital Constantinople. The narrative is engaging and the characters, political subterfuge, sub-plots such as the miners, the navies, the walls, construction of the massive guns and the sheer effort and methods employed by Mehmet, the Ottoman Sultan to capture the city makes it a real page turner.

There's also so much scope for discussion especiallly with respect to the 'what if's' of history.

With all the remakes of films nowadays and success of TV programmes like Games of Thrones I am suprised that this has never been brought to the screen, the story is already there and the CGI would be so impressive.

The strange thing for me is that having read the book many times and knowing the final outcome I'm still rooting for the besieged Byzantians, hoping that I might have missed a chapter or two and that they do prevail.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0571221866?_encoding=UTF8&isInIframe=0&n=266239&ref_=dp_proddesc_0&s=books&showDetailProductDesc=1#product-description_feature_div

Synopsis

In the spring of 1453, the Ottoman Turks advanced on Constantinople in pursuit of an ancient Islamic dream: capturing the thousand-year-old capital of Christian Byzantium. During the siege that followed, a small band of defenders, outnumbered ten to one, confronted the might of the Ottoman army in an epic contest fought on land, sea and underground.

Am reading Troubles by J.G. Farrell, one of the empire trilogy, a series which focuses on the disintegration of the British Empire.

Have to admit that I had never heard of him or his books but I note that the second book in this trilogy, The Siege of Krishnapur, won the booker prize in 1973.

I am only a few pages in but so far this books is set in a crumbling hotel in Wexford in 1919 and is quite funny!

I think I'll enjoy these books.

I think you will as well, the humour is very subtle and there aren't many books like Troubles which tell the story of the Anglo English in Ireland. I'm not sure how satirical the books are meant to be they deserve some analysis for the hidden messages (if there are any). For example is the hotel an analogy for the decline of the British Empire?

The Siege of Krisnapur has some great scenes such as the use of the silver cutlery.

You, do wonder why his books aren't more popular as stated it's a shame JG Farrell died so relatively young and in such tragic circumstances, RTE did a podcast documentary on his time in Ireland link below.

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2010/1207/646580-radio-documentary-jg-farrell-booker-author-drowned/

pavb2 wrote: »
    I think you will as well, the humour is very subtle and there aren't many books like Troubles which tell the story of the Anglo English in Ireland. I'm not sure how satirical the books are meant to be they deserve some analysis for the hidden messages (if there are any). For example is the hotel an analogy for the decline of the British Empire?

The Siege of Krisnapur has some great scenes such as the use of the silver cutlery.

You, do wonder why his books aren't more popular as stated it's a shame JG Farrell died so relatively young and in such tragic circumstances, RTE did a podcast documentary on his time in Ireland link below.

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2010/1207/646580-radio-documentary-jg-farrell-booker-author-drowned/

I wondered the same about the hotel. Hotel sounds huge and amazing and it's a shame it doesn't exist as I love exploring abandoned places!

I've kind of put it down for a while as I've felt it wasn't going anywhere, but my free time has been scarce lately so I'll look forward to diving in again. There's not too many breaks in the narrative so I think it needs longer reads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 helenawalsh

I read The Baltimore Boys by Joel Dicker last month, highly recommend. Currently reading The King's Curse by Philippa Gregory

Advertisement