Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Idleater wrote: »
    If it's any use, I walked home through Lucan village that evening and three red mini's went the other way. I didn't remember from the video the colour of the stripes or roof, but the lady driving 2 of them was messing with her phone. The third was parked at an angle causing annoyance to other traffic.
    Good luck narrowing down the search conclusively.
    It's not my video or my search, but if it was my video, I'd find a way to progress the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Did you get the reg from any of the three? We could edit it into the video before report it to the Garda. Or would vigilante justice be a better approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭buffalo

Idleater wrote: »
    If it's any use, I walked home through Lucan village that evening and three red mini's went the other way. I didn't remember from the video the colour of the stripes or roof, but the lady driving 2 of them was messing with her phone. The third was parked at an angle causing annoyance to other traffic.
    Good luck narrowing down the search conclusively.

I caught up with a red mini later on the same commute as the original incident, but given I didn't see the driver in the first place or any of the reg, it'd be madness to take any kind of action.

Also, I'm very impressed that there was a lady driving 2 minis! I'd pay money to see that! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

buffalo wrote: »
    I caught up with a red mini later on the same commute as the original incident, but given I didn't see the driver in the first place or any of the reg, it'd be madness to take any kind of action.

Also, I'm very impressed that there was a lady driving 2 minis! I'd pay money to see that! :pac:

I had visions of something like this, but with Minis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OacuWBh9Z0

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Eamonnator wrote: »
    [/B]

I figured that was a video of a woman riding two things alright but wasn't sure if it would be NSFW!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭buffalo

Eamonnator wrote: »
    [/B]

Or

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

buffalo wrote: »
    I know it's stereotypical to place a blond on the phone in a mini, but you know, she just didn't do herself justice. I mean she passed 3 hairdressers doing those laps :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

fat bloke wrote: »
    I'd say there's a very high probability of coming across the same lad in the same car in the same place at the same time, and in all likelihood driving in the same manner . - Always amuses/intrigues me how habitual commuting can be and how aligned one's own commute is to others. Walking to school with the kids, it tickled me how often the same guy on a Ducati would drone under the M50 pedestrian bridge as we traversed it. A bike coming from God knows where, travelling at 100kph routinely coinciding with our 20 second bridge crossing. The slightest delay to tie a shoe-lace and we'd miss each other entirely.

Indeed. I have several dash cam clips of a white Tiquan coming into Lucan who drives the same route as I do into Clonee. He's always in the bus lane flying along. Once he gets into Lucan village he tailgates everyone the whole way. One morning a council bin truck was in the bus lane on the other side of the junction. As our light went green the VW had to swerve from the bus lane to avoid hitting the man walking to the driver side, barely squeezing into the gap with the car in front of me. If the car in front wasn't so slow to take off he would have smashed into one of us.

If you see another red Mini driving aggressively around Lucan then you know who it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Indeed. I have several dash cam clips of a white Tiquan coming into Lucan who drives the same route as I do into Clonee. He's always in the bus lane flying along. Once he gets into Lucan village he tailgates everyone the whole way. One morning a council bin truck was in the bus lane on the other side of the junction. As our light went green the VW had to swerve from the bus lane to avoid hitting the man walking to the driver side, barely squeezing into the gap with the car in front of me. If the car in front wasn't so slow to take off he would have smashed into one of us.

If you see another red Mini driving aggressively around Lucan then you know who it is...

Be careful. I was merging in to a left turn lane where the bus lane ends in Clontaaaarf (Joe Duffy!) in my car when I was blown out of it by a car flaking up the bus lane, didn't realise he was going that fast. I waved an apology (luckily enough).... cop in uniform!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Maybe it's fashion. Fashion happens in transport just like in everything else; there's a road near mine where there are something like 5 Bikeshels, and they've now started branching out into cargo bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Be careful. I was merging in to a left turn lane where the bus lane ends in Clontaaaarf (Joe Duffy!) in my car when I was blown out of it by a car flaking up the bus lane, didn't realise he was going that fast. I waved an apology (luckily enough).... cop in uniform!!

I bet you the Tiquan is driven by the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

John_Rambo wrote: »

Must say - there's lots of things I'll readily hold my hand up and apologise for on the road. Moving into a bus lane in a controlled way in a busy urban environment and getting blasted at by someone coming from way back down the road doing stupid speeds isn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

I've been off injured the past 2 weeks due to a herniated disc in my lower back. My physio said I could start back this week and I was looking forward to it. So off I went off and planned to do an hours easy ride to the Phoenix Park and back.

Within 15 mins - I had one black Passat veer into me nearly cutting me (guy was texting on his phone). Second incident a driver of a clapped out Yaris exited out of a petrol station forcing me to slam on (he pulled out into a row of cars stopped at set of traffic lights so it was ridiculous why he couldn't wait). Not a single up to date disc on the window and he tells me to f*** off.

The the car behind the Yaris holds the horn down to throughout the entire interaction with the Yaris driver.

At that stage - I just turned around and went home.

I think I actually give up. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Veloce wrote: »
    I've been off injured the past 2 weeks due to a herniated disc in my lower back. My physio said I could start back this week and I was looking forward to it. So off I went off and planned to do an hours easy ride to the Phoenix Park and back.

Within 15 mins - I had one black Passat veer into me nearly cutting me (guy was texting on his phone). Second incident a driver of a clapped out Yaris exited out of a petrol station forcing me to slam on (he pulled out into a row of cars stopped at set of traffic lights so it was ridiculous why he couldn't wait). Not a single up to date disc on the window and he tells me to f*** off.

The the car behind the Yaris holds the horn down to throughout the entire interaction with the Yaris driver.

At that stage - I just turned around and went home.

I think I actually give up. FFS.

Nil carborundum illegitimi

The more people cycle, the safer cycling gets. Be part of the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Stop me if you've heard this one before...

Macken St. Junction with Pearse St., heading north pull up at the lights and advise the cyclist at the kerb that he could be trapped by left turning traffic as they get the filter 1st. He joins me in the advance box left turning traffic filters through sure enough, light to go through the junction turns green 3 cyclists take off and half way across the junction some charmer in a Transit connect goes straight from the left only lane nearly taking out the 3 of us.

That junction needs serious attention before some self-regarding, impatient half-wit kills someone, "'cos he was turning right I HAD to use the left only lane..."

Actually a lot closer than in the video, felt like 30 cm off my right shoulder. Sorry for the expletive.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Chiparus wrote: »
    Actually a lot closer than in the video, felt like 30 cm off my right shoulder. Sorry for the expletive.
    Has the driver even crossed the white line?

You were hugging the edge far too much. I'd be slap bang in the middle of the lane in a place like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I'd be giving Musgraves a call about their driver.

https://www.musgravegroup.com/contact/

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

This is an absolute everyday occurence at these bloody lights.

9Dr9cRF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

blackwhite wrote: »
    I'd be giving Musgraves a call about their driver.

https://www.musgravegroup.com/contact/

According to the date on the video, it happened 4 years ago!!!

According to the date on the video, it happened 4 years ago!!!

Very balmy January that year.

Duckjob wrote: »
    You were hugging the edge far too much. I'd be slap bang in the middle of the lane in a place like that.

The problem with that is the out of control guy coming from behind, this video is from the same bend a couple of years ago

Another near miss on my cycle this morning!

The problem with that is the out of control guy coming from behind, this video is from the same bend a couple of years ago

Well, a couple of points -

- firstly, if you were further out he/she will be able to see you from earlier on the bend (assuming they're not instagramming or the like) and have more chance to react.

- In reacting, seeing you further out in the road is likely to influence him/her more to make the decision to kill their speed and wait rather than chance passing you on the bend.

- Of course, they may be of that sad mentality of "f**kin cyclist, not going to slow me down, don't pay road tax" and plough on through regardless, but to be honest, if someone is that determined to be dangerous on the road there's very little you can do stop them.

- On roads like that I always keep one ear and one eye out over my shoulder to suss out potential trouble from behind. If you're out a bit and it looks like they're going to skim you or worse at least you've got some escape room to play with on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

Fifth point - by staying out, and if you do get squeezed, at least you have some room to maneuver and avoid contact. If in doubt, stay out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not a near miss, but an interesting 'that could have ended badly' story - and the first time i can remember circumstances a bit like this.

i was southbound on the R122, heading for oldtown, and catching up with three lads in front of me, also on bikes. we were approaching this junction - https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5369881,-6.3238188,17.75z - with me maybe 10m, more likely about 15m or even 20m behind the three guys in front.
    there was a cement truck waiting to pull out of the junction from our left, and as we approached it, two (i think) of the guys in front indicated left. it was only as i saw the cement truck move i realised that the driver was looking on the four of us as a single bunch, and probably assumed we were all turning left onto the road we was exiting.
    thankfully i saw it happening in enough time, and as i swerved in anticipation of him pulling out, he obviously realised i wasn't turning left and stood on the brakes.

if i'd been directly behind the three guys, both myself and the cement truck driver would have had a second or two less to cop the situation. something i'll definitely be considering in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheJak01

Cycling down the Rochestown avenue earlier today. Finally got myself a camera in the amazon prime sale last week, so this is the first time I've caught on on camera. The wide angle doesn't make it look as bad, but it felt pretty hairy at the time. Driver never slowed down and didn't move out at all. Caught him at the next set out lights, and the lad was using his phone. Fairly disappointing.

Could I have been more in the middle of the road considering there were cars approaching? Probably. However, no excuse at all for that carry on, and considering he had the email of the company he worked for plastered all over the van he was driving I've sent an email to the company with an extended video. Nothing nasty, just a reminder that we all have a responsibility to look after each other on the road, and that dangerous passes in what is essentially a giant advert for their company probably isn't the greatest look for potential clientele.

https://streamable.com/6uf5q

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

Cycling to work yesterday. Coming down constitution hill towards the qusys to a junction where I have a green light.

No traffic behind me. BMW turns right into my path.

I think he has a green arrow and thinks that there's is red light for me.

This isn't the first time I had this happen at this junction .

https://youtu.be/tugNvBClqHg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If he had a green arrow your light would be red. He had the same green as you so should have yielded to you. I used to commute that way a few years ago, always had to be on my toes if I had green all the way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement