Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

J. Marston wrote: »
    Got nothing to play and looking for something different. Tales of Berseria is one of the Playstation Hits on sale for €10. Never played a game like it, it looks Japanese(!) so is it any good?

Tales of games are alright. They basically are all the same and tell the same story. They're very generic and safe. There's so many better rpgs out there I wouldn't waste my time.

You might play one of them and enjoy it was a b tier rpg but you'll never play another again as you'll discover they are way too similar and safe.

Play something better my advice is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

You've angered the Jrpg god xenji! how dare you! get down on your knees and beg for forgiveness :mad:

:pac::pac:

God :confused: More like I have spent far to much time having to travel with work and either have a laptop or handheld with me!

But I am a big fan of the series and would highly recommend it.

There are better games out there then the recent Tales games, but Beseria was probably the best since Vesperia, I would recommend getting Ys VIII instead though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    God :confused: !

Don't be so modest, you know your stuff when it comes too Jrpg's :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

J. Marston wrote: »
    Got nothing to play and looking for something different. Tales of Berseria is one of the Playstation Hits on sale for €10. Never played a game like it, it looks Japanese(!) so is it any good?

Tokyo xanadu is a worth a go if its on sale, or ys as Xenji mentioned, or the trails of cold steel games, I would get any of them before Beseria.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Tokyo xanadu is a worth a go if its on sale, or ys as Xenji mentioned, or the trails of cold steel games, I would get any of them before Beseria.

Any idea if first Trails game is a recent release on PS4, I keep looking out for it on sale but it never seems to drop.

Edit: just checked there, only released in March.

• Advertisement

skerry wrote: »
    Any idea if first Trails game is a recent release on PS4, I keep looking out for it on sale but it never seems to drop.

Edit: just checked there, only released in March.

Well it came too ps4 in march but it released originally on ps3 and vita in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Will I like Tokyo Xanadu if I loved Persona and Ys VIII?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Cina wrote: »

Probably. The characters in Xanadu aren't as endearing as the persona games though.

Cina wrote: »

Its an action rpg similar to Ys VIII so I would say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Enjoying Wargroove quite a bit now so I've taken the plunge and pre-ordered Fire Emblem. Baby on the way next month so not sure where I'm thinking I'll be getting 80+ hours to spare to play another JRPG but I'm sure it'll all fall into place :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Finally got around to killing the Final-final boss in DQ XI, whopper of a game. Took awhile to get going but before i knew it i was sinking countless hours into it.

Pretty much clocked at 100hrs, could prob squeeze more out of it collecting everything, but not sure im arsed :D

nix wrote: »
    Finally got around to killing the Final-final boss in DQ XI, whopper of a game. Took awhile to get going but before i knew it i was sinking countless hours into it.

Pretty much clocked at 100hrs, could prob squeeze more out of it collecting everything, but not sure im arsed :D

The missions can take a while sometimes!
    skerry wrote: »
    Enjoying Wargroove quite a bit now so I've taken the plunge and pre-ordered Fire Emblem. Baby on the way next month so not sure where I'm thinking I'll be getting 80+ hours to spare to play another JRPG but I'm sure it'll all fall into place :D

How did you find the last couple of bosses and what level did you finish at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

So I'm playing Tokyo Xanadu and it's basically a Trails of Cold Steel clone with a few Persona elements lazily thrown in.

Sounds good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Saw a good deal for Ys VIII on Amazon so went for it. Have never played any of these games before but have to say I’m really enjoying it!

Combat system is great!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Beat Atelier Meruru but got the bad ending where you don't hit 10k population by the fifth year (only had 65k, pretty poor). I'll jump into NG+ with better equipment. Not sure how I did so poorly. I kept popularity up but maybe I was too late with making development items and I only made end game weaponry in the last 3 months.

So spent last night crafting the best quality equipable development items and the best armour and weapons I could make before NG+ in Meruru. Currently steamrolling the game in NG+.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Finished Persona 5 last night with 70 hours on the clock.
    Amazing game but I felt I ended up being more interested in the story than the battles and dungeons by the end of it, the battles just got too repetitive.
    I would 100% get Person 5: Royal when it comes out but I heard you cant transfer your saves from the original and I don't have time to go through another 70 hours for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

rejkin wrote: »
    Finished Persona 5 last night with 70 hours on the clock.
    Amazing game but I felt I ended up being more interested in the story than the battles and dungeons by the end of it, the battles just got too repetitive.
    I would 100% get Person 5: Royal when it comes out but I heard you cant transfer your saves from the original and I don't have time to go through another 70 hours for it.
    I think they said you'd get a "useful" item, I dunno if its worth it though
    https://gematsu.com/2019/06/persona-5-royal-faq-addresses-persona-5-save-data-and-dlc-compatibility

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,135 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The new content is embedded throughout the game AFAIK so even if you could carry over your save you’d have to start over and play through the whole thing from the beginning.

While I’m sure The Royal will be a nice package for those who haven’t played yet, I also felt there was already a too much stuff in the base game so have to say the prospect of starting over for a smattering of new content and an extended (!) school year doesn’t appeal much!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

That makes sense, it's the same way they did it with persona 3 and 4.

I'll leave it and start up dragon quest 11.

Have had that for ages.

Next after that is Divinity Original Sin 2 so a good few hours to sink into both!

Sure the PS5 will be out before I finish these considering the speed I got through Persona ha.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,135 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Persona 3 FES did have a stand-alone expansion that was completely separate to the main game.

It also removed most of the good stuff from the core game in favour of an insanely, annoyingly hard dungeon crawler :pac:

Replaying trail of cold steel, never finished it, gonna try and plat it this time around.

Persona 3 FES did have a stand-alone expansion that was completely separate to the main game.

It also removed most of the good stuff from the core game in favour of an insanely, annoyingly hard dungeon crawler :pac:

I've actually gone back to it just recently and it's a lot better if you just treat it more like a straight up old school SMT dungeon crawler. It still gets very repetitive with very little to break up the dungeon crawling but I don't hate it like I used to!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Big NIS sale on the Switch at the moment, going to pick up YS VIII for €30 and the SNK Collection for €27. Anything else from them worth getting on the Switch? I already have Disgaea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Replaying trail of cold steel, never finished it, gonna try and plat it this time around.

The PS4 version is down to €25 on psn atm.

The PS4 version is down to €25 on psn atm.

Yup I got that, I lost my vita copy last year on the way back from a trip abroad, left my games on the plane :'(.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Big NIS sale on the Switch at the moment, going to pick up YS VIII for €30 and the SNK Collection for €27. Anything else from them worth getting on the Switch? I already have Disgaea.

Labyrinth Of Refrain is a solid dungeon crawler if you are really stuck for something to play.

I'm currently playing Tales of Berseria and just past the 20hr mark and im finding it hard to keep going, the story unfolds a little bit too slowly and the amount of skits they keep throwing at you is a bit too much,i wouldnt mind it so much if you were able to keep moving while they natter on..

But I'm just finding half of the characters in the party more annoying than anything, Vesperia had loads of skits but i liked pretty much all the characters and the comedy was spot on.. In this its just missing the mark every time and the voice acting on that feckin cat is driving me insane...

So, anybody thats played this, shall i soldier on? does it get much better? I'm just after freeing
    Medissa

I hate to give up on a game, especially when this far invested, but its all a bit meh and i have so many other games to play :(

There's one piece of advice I give to everyone starting a Tales of game: Don't

There's an incredible variety of amazing rpgs to play out there that you shouldn't waste your time with Tales of.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's an incredible variety of amazing rpgs to play out there that you shouldn't waste your time with Tales of.

Well don't hold back Retro! Hit me with a list! :pac:

Advertisement