Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What new penalty point offence would you create if you could?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Parking on the 'wrong' side of the road and then holding up everyone when you want to pull out of the spot. A ticketable offence in parts of Australia I believe

Parking like an arsehole in general

Delivery trucks and vans parking on footpaths/bike lanes

Smoking while driving full stop. Lost count of the amount of times over the last few months I've been wondering what the hell the eejit in front of me is doing only for a cigarette to appear out the window as they tap it. It's distracted driving. Not much different to using the phone.

Incorrect use of hazard lights (aka using them as park anywhere lights)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

What is it with people dawdling along 10/20 km/h below the speed limit, out on the white line, and you come to a long straight, indicate to overtake and they pull over as your passing into the hard shoulder!

Like, could they not have done that 10km further back when I was clearly trying to overtake?!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭the14thwarrior

12 points and three weeks on public transport to the people who zoom up the wrong lane pretending they are going left or onto the M50 or right............. and then zip in at the last minute. to the correct lane.

same cars do it ALL THE TIME on my commute and they really piss me off, they think they so smart and we so dumb and they cause people to jam on their brakes and hold up traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Parking on the 'wrong' side of the road and then holding up everyone when you want to pull out of the spot. A ticketable offence in parts of Australia I believe

Parking like an arsehole in general

Delivery trucks and vans parking on footpaths/bike lanes

Smoking while driving full stop. Lost count of the amount of times over the last few months I've been wondering what the hell the eejit in front of me is doing only for a cigarette to appear out the window as they tap it. It's distracted driving. Not much different to using the phone.

Incorrect use of hazard lights (aka using them as park anywhere lights)

Anti Trucker?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Anti Trucker?

No, only one of them is specific to trucks. A particular foodservice company delivering to restaurants and a particular wholesalers are notorious for it on my very short commute. I'm anti-parking-like-an-entitled-asshole.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Do elaborate please.

There's a haulage crowd around our area that doesn't have enough yard space to store trailers, so they have developed the habit of dropping them on the roads around the industrial estate to await pick up by a contractor. Problem is, they are dropping them on the "wrong" side of the road, so the trailer is facing traffic coming towards it. I've seen several incidents where people don't realise it's there until they have almost collided with it, as there are no reflectors or anything else on the front of the trailer to make it more visible at night. If it's wet, and dark, and the driver has less than optimal eyesight, it's an accident waiting to happen, especially if the trailer does not have a container or body on it, so there's not much vertical surface to reflect any light back to the oncoming driver. Even more dangerous when there's a vehicle on the opposite side of the road passing the trailer at the same time, as that makes it even more difficult to spot the obstacle that's in front of them.

I don't know if it's part of the Rules of the Road here, in the UK, it's illegal to park "wrong way round", and it should be the same here.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

1,000,000 points for people who don't get motorways and think the overtaking lane is a fast lane. I know it's been done to death on here but the problem persists, it's so embarrassing how bad the standard of driving is in Ireland.

Points too for this business of switching lanes on said motorway with no indicator required.

Slowing down to 70kmph when you see a GATSO van:confused::confused: the speed limit is 100 in this instance, I just don't get this mentality.

Points for not saluting a driver for letting you out:pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    2. German italics number plates.

I know a car locally that has German font on square Jap dimension plates.

The best bit? It’s a diesel Mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

This was a funny thread til the lycra brigade arrived.

Now it's a hilarious one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭endacl

AulWan wrote: »
    Stooping to insulting someone's username is so utterly childish.

Username so appropriate.

:pac:

• Advertisement

freddieot wrote: »
    acting the maggot

I love that expression, so much. :D

Mine would be lack of indicator use or middle-lane hoggers.

Noveight wrote: »
    I know a car locally that has German font on square Jap dimension plates.

The best bit? It’s a diesel Mondeo.

Local car to me is white, and they've put black 'go faster' air vents on the bonnet.

It's a Leaf :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Six points for driving too close to a cyclist

Seven points for knocking one down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Yester wrote: »
    Seven points for knocking one down.

What do you win if you get to 12?

AulWan wrote: »
    Stooping to insulting someone's username is so utterly childish.

Its more about being traceable in the event of an accident. But no you wouldnt want that, would you? Because once you are traceable, you can be held accountable when the fault is actually yours.

Pedestrians

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

What do you win if you get to 12?

A slap on the back on internet motors forums

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

tomister wrote: »
    3 points for cyclists who don't use the cycle lane on the footpath provided - you've your own lane so get out of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Points for motorists that accelerate through amber lights.
    This is prevalent in Dublin where 90% of the time they actually miss the amber light and as a result speed through red lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

My personal favourite would be points for people who invade space on the road that they have no legal place to be:

Eg. A local road to me which is fairly rural- narrow, no footpaths, with some blind bends. I often encounter drivers coming around those bends with their wheels over the middle line on the other side of the road. And then I see local what's app alerts every other week saying there's been an accident on that road- no wonder with the sh*t driving!

Other examples
    - cutting the arse off corners with turning
    - edging over and way past the line of a red light ( just f***ing relax and wait for the f***ing light to turn green)
    - lack of regard for bike areas at traffic lights
    - parking in bike lanes
    - obstructing bike lanes unnecessarily when stopped in traffic
    - driving up on footpaths to get past other traffic (just wait you d*ck)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Driving with dogs without dog harnass and dog seatbelt. 7 points. One for each dog year.

Dogs in car boots on hot days....banned and jail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,835 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m not a cyclist but it drives me nuts too when I see cars encroaching on cycle lanes undertaking especially, stop zones or whatever they are called at traffic lights. We are all trying to get somewhere, safely. Cyclists are obviously more vulnerable, cop the fûck on and have patience and ‘think’.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,060 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

10 points for those complete thicks who enter a two laned roundabout in the outside lane, indicate right before entering.....and maintain the right indicator all the way round

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Points for people who pass themselves off as experts despite never having driven the cars they are offering opinions on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Driving with one arm out the window to enjoy the breeze on your hand rather than having both hands on the steering wheel: 2 points

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Citing Jeremy Clarkson as an authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Strumms wrote: »
    I’m not a cyclist but it drives me nuts too when I see cars encroaching on cycle lanes undertaking especially, stop zones or whatever they are called at traffic lights. We are all trying to get somewhere, safely. Cyclists are obviously more vulnerable, cop the fûck on and have patience and ‘think’.

I was cycling through a small village that has a long traffic island in the middle of the road. Van squeezes past me and I'm thinking 'he's going hit the traffic island' - I was wrong, he was on the fuc*king thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

1. 3 points for driving in the right lane when left lane is empty.

2. 6 points for refusing to move over from the right lane when the left lane is empty and a faster moving car is behind you.

3. 3 points for entering yellow box when you know fine well that you are not going to clear it before the light changes.

4. 6 points if you get stuck in the yellow box and then sit staring straight ahead like an angel and fail to acknowledge the driver on your right/left that has a green light and can’t move because you are blocking their path.

5. 3 points if you drive an X5/X6/Range Rover size vehicle and cannot park it properly.

6. 3 month driving ban if you park in a disabled spot.

7. 3 points if you have your rear foglight on when there is no fog.

8. 6 points for driving without your lights on at night/low light because you think your DRL’s will suffice.

9. 6 points for driving at night/low light with only the parking lights on. Lifetime ban for a second offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

4 points: For trying to reverse out onto a busy road.
    5 points: For brake checking.
    At the same time..
    5 points: For driving aggressively too close to the car in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Idiots driving around with those ****ing stupid DRLs on the newer Clio and Hyubdai models after dark, blinding oncoming traffic and invisible to traffic behind them.

People using auxiliary lanes and roundabouts as overtaking lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

freddieot wrote: »

Doing 60 in a 100 zone on a twisty back road and holding up dozens of cars (like a guy I met today) :D (1 point)
    (1 point)
    Twisty back road would suggest R or L class of road, that’s not a 100 zone.

Advertisement