Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What new penalty point offence would you create if you could?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Smoking with kids in the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

6 points for people who drive around with only one working headlight. I wouldn’t issue penalty points on the spot because a bulb can blow at any time. A visit to a Garda station with the offending bulb replaced within x days would be a way to avoid them. The number of people who can’t be bothered replacing them is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,831 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Phone use = automatic ban. There is ZERO reason or excuse for it, none, EVER. Fûck points it’s not an error of judgement of doing 10 over with a heavy foot it’s proactive endangerment of your fellow motorists. By conscious choice, removing away 50% or more of your ability to control a vehicle safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

3 points for cyclists who don't use the cycle lane on the footpath provided - you've your own lane so get out of mine. And before the cycle brigade start - I cycle to work when the weather is right
    6 points for people doing 100kph in the outside lane of the motorway - if you're not going to overtake then get out of the lane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

donvito99 wrote: »
    Username so appropriate.

I'd put money on more cyclists having valid insurance/tax (on the cars they've left at home) than drivers in the city

Stooping to insulting someone's username is so utterly childish.

Its more about being traceable in the event of an accident. But no you wouldnt want that, would you? Because once you are traceable, you can be held accountable when the fault is actually yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

micar wrote: »
    Educating the moronic motorists that it's other motorisrs not cyclists who are the danger on our roads.......yes ....our roads.....roads are for everyone ......except motorways

I'll be back after watching the Tour De France highlights.......big climb to end the days racing.

Lol, you might be better off trying to sort out your own back garden first before looking into your neighbours. Cyclists are far from perfect road users themselves and alot only follow the rules of the road when it suits them.

Cycle on though, up there on your high saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

tomister wrote: »
    3 points for cyclists who don't use the cycle lane on the footpath provided - you've your own lane so get out of mine. And before the cycle brigade start - I cycle to work when the weather is right
    6 points for people doing 100kph in the outside lane of the motorway - if you're not going to overtake then get out of the lane

It's the fair weather cyclists who should be getting penalty points.

Also, funny how we should be awarding penalty points to people using the road as they are entitled to do...

Go down to Rathmines Rd tomorrow morning and see if you can find any amongst the hundreds getting to work before the BARFATTs.

(Balding ars*holes responsible for all that traffic)

Did I hit a nerve there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

tomister wrote: »
    get out of mine

Wrong on so many levels.....wish motorits wouldn't park in cycle lane forcing me into your lane but I just deal with it.

Some cycle lanes are in such a poor state....it's dangerous to be in them.

owning a bmw

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Did I hit a nerve there?

Almost 50,000 posts and this is the quality

I take that as a yes then.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Lol, you might be better off trying to sort out your own back garden first before looking into your neighbours. Cyclists are far from perfect road users themselves and alot only follow the rules of the road when it suits them.

Cycle on though, up there on your high saddle.

I never said there were. Plenty of terrible irresponsible cyclist giving those who are responsible a bad name.

Saw 2 go through a red light yesterday morning and almost get hit by a dublin bus
    Saw 1 yesterday evening go through a red light and had to swerve to avoid hitting 2 pedestrians crossing the road.

None wearing a helmet.

Both times I'm patiently waiting at a red light .

micar wrote: »
    I never said there were. Plenty of terrible irresponsible cyclist giving those who are responsible a bad name.

Saw 2 go through a red light yesterday morning and almost get hit by a dublin bus
    Saw 1 yesterday evening go through a red light and had to swerve to avoid hitting 2 pedestrians crossing the road.

None wearing a helmet.

Both times I'm patiently waiting at a red light .

This is the thing, I see cyclists wall to wall breaking red lights and... nothing happens. But one car does this from South Circular Rd onto Camden St and the whole thing falls apart. So the question is why are we treating people on their bicycles like the people shiting the bed in their cars every rush hour

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

9 points for parking in a disabled bay without the correct permit.

6 points for parking an HGV trailer the "wrong way round" at night on a public road.

6 points for towing a trailer with no lights at night.

6 points for parking on the pavement and cycle lane to save having to park legally "to use the ATM, or collect the take away".

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Cyclical Apocalypse

Probably the 3 biggest things that piss me off the most when driving in this country.

1. Driving after dark without any lights on ( seen this more than once) how stupid do you have to be.

2. Failing to stop at a red traffic light (we should really have red light cameras in this country)

3. Overtaking or bullying a learner driver on the road just because they are a learner, for example, I was on the road the other day doing the speed limit and was just in the process of slowing down for a 50 kph limit through a village but no some idiot driver had to overtake me although we were literally 100m from the village.

Sorry about that last one just needed to rant.

This is the thing, I see cyclists wall to wall breaking red lights and... nothing happens. But one car does this from South Circular Rd onto Camden St and the whole thing falls apart. So the question is why are we treating people on their bicycles like the people shiting the bed in their cars every rush hour

They should be held accountable. But how often do you see a Gardai on road policing activity.....rarely.

The first incident I described took place outside Kevin St garda station .......the second going from cuffe st to Kevin st lower

9 points for parking in a disabled bay without the correct permit.

6 points for parking on the pavement and cycle lane to save having to park legally "to use the ATM, or collect the take away".

Totally agree with this

Regularly see the first in OMNI shopping centre in santry as well as parking on the double yellows despite empty parking space 20m away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

speeding up when being overtaken , die you dangerous little turd.

- no points just public be heading .

ok then , 12 points.

DaDumTish wrote: »
    speeding up when being overtaken , die you dangerous little turd.

- no points just public be heading .

ok then, 12 points.

Absolutely I should have added that to my list believe it or not an ambulance driver did that to my mother when she tried to overtake it. In hindsight wish, I got it on video and reported the driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

grogi wrote: »
    What is wrong with number three? If there is no solid line forcing motorists to exit from particular lane at said exit, it is ok to do so.

The Rules of the Road (RSA) indicate that any exit beyond 12 o'clock (straight ahead) should commence from the right hand lane.

I'm not sure if it's a law or a guideline.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    The Rules of the Road (RSA) indicate that any exit beyond 12 o'clock (straight ahead) should commence from the right hand lane.

I'm not sure if it's a law or a guideline.

Since they use the word should instead of must I assume it's not the law just a guideline that they have issued.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Driving at 20 km/h below the speed limit, 6 points.
    Saying "it's a limit, not a target", 2 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

3 points for the wing mirror smashers.

These are the morons who plough on basically in the middle of the road on small un-marked rural roads which are perfectly wide enough for two cars to pass if some cop on is used.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

A major annoyance of mine is people in a newish car talking on their phones, either use the bluetooth in the car, use the headset that came with the phone or ignore the call, 3 points is not enough in my opinion.

Any by the way, in regards to spotting smartphone usage especially at night, I've the habit now of turning on Google Maps no matter where I'm going as it alerts to traffic incidents on the way ahead, I was stuck on a motorway needlessly twice because I didn't have Google Maps on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

A frying pan in the face for anyone who abandons their car at the pumps

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

ba_barabus wrote: »

I was advised always leave your car at the pumps because there is nothing to stop someone pulling up to the pump after you and topping up their car on your fill, the pump is only reset after a sale is gone through, that could be completely wrong though but unless someone tells me differently I'm not going to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

6 points for parking an HGV trailer the "wrong way round" at night on a public road.

Do elaborate please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Clareman wrote: »
    ba_barabus wrote: »

I was advised always leave your car at the pumps because there is nothing to stop someone pulling up to the pump after you and topping up their car on your fill, the pump is only reset after a sale is gone through, that could be completely wrong though but unless someone tells me differently I'm not going to stop.

Yeah, completely wrong. Once you return the nozzle to the pump it closes the transaction. Another motorist can then start filling, at the register it shows the individual transactions awaiting payment on the pump.

Older systems could only store up to two transactions, after that nothing could be dispensed until one of them was paid for. Don't know if that's still the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

ectoraige wrote: »
    Yeah, completely wrong. Once you return the nozzle to the pump it closes the transaction. Another motorist can then start filling, at the register it shows the individual transactions awaiting payment on the pump.

Older systems could only store up to two transactions, after that nothing could be dispensed until one of them was paid for. Don't know if that's still the case.

Nothing wrong with leaving the car there and going in to pay. It's the idiots who leave the car there and go in for the toilet, chat, coffee, milk, atm, paper, weeks shopping and a deli.

Or worse, the people who don't even fill up, who just park at a pump.

Advertisement