Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Principal Officer competition 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Tr1ckieD1ckie

Maestro123 wrote: »
    Hi all, thanks for the very helpful info to date. I'm a current AP and also placed on the PO panel, and at the current rate hopefully will be reached in the Autumn at some point.

I was wondering whether anyone knows if many posts outside Dublin have come up/been offered as yet? Or if there is any info available on numbers of PO positions located within each county/zone? If you recall we were asked to indicate preference for up to 2 counties outside Dublin. The mobility map via DPER website only lists organisations but not which of those have PO positions available.

Many thanks

Just rechecking earlier communications with PAS and realised the number they quoted me was specifically for the Dublin panel- they phrase it there are currently approximately X candidates ahead of you on the Dublin panel- so if you had a particular county in mind and you've recorded your interest there I'm sure they can advise how many if any numbers of people had been placed for that county.

Latest update- Dublin panel now in the late twenties or thereabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Molly Keane

Hi has anyone in this thread or reading this thread been appointed from this panel? Just wondering how it works in these virtual times with remote working the norm - is there a physical induction and an office environment? And how long did it take from offer through clearance to appointment? Thanks

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Grey AP

it seems things are rattling along at the moment. Has anyone at 30 or over been contacted yet?

• Advertisement

Grey AP wrote: »
    it seems things are rattling along at the moment. Has anyone at 30 or over been contacted yet?

31 appointed apparently

31 appointed apparently

Excellent - still moving at about five a month. If the panel is 65 (no evidence to the contrary so far), then it is at nearly halfway less than six months from the first appointment. At this pace, it may hit mid 50s by year end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Excellent - still moving at about five a month. If the panel is 65 (no evidence to the contrary so far), then it is at nearly halfway less than six months from the first appointment. At this pace, it may hit mid 50s by year end.

Going back to previous discussion on the topic, that would be in line with our guesstimates that the panel would last until sometime in Q1-Q2 2021, after which point they'd be most likely to run another competition rather than dipping back into the 2019 pot again.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Going back to previous discussion on the topic, that would be in line with our guesstimates that the panel would last until sometime in Q1-Q2 2021, after which point they'd be most likely to run another competition rather than dipping back into the 2019 pot again.

A report in the Examiner last week (can’t find link now) suggested possible recruitment freeze in public service in response to deficit in October budget - hope it’s not the case

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

A report in the Examiner last week (can’t find link now) suggested possible recruitment freeze in public service in response to deficit in October budget - hope it’s not the case

Can't see it personally - as things stand.

• Advertisement

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40025909.html

This report seems to have come out of the release, under FoI, of all the departmental briefings for new ministers. DPER usually sets out a range of very unpalatable measures for a new minister and pay/recruitment/promotion freezes are old favourites, which the fourth estate loves to pick out from the hundreds of pages of briefing. That doesn't mean that they won't happen, as they have been done before, but it has usually been in far bleaker circumstances (eg 1980s, 2008/9 bailout requirements), so this looks more like the opening salvo in preparations for the next public service pay agreement than a genuine budget proposal. (I think it is quite telling also that only one news outlet, as far as I am aware, has reported it.)

There's probably a glass half empty analysis too, but this is how I see it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 meteoris

31 appointed apparently

I was told today that there were 12 candidates before me in the Dublin panel.

As I am number 42, that means the next candidate is number 30.

This is roughly, but not exactly, in agreement with the numbers reported above. Does anybody have any further details?

meteoris wrote: »
    I was told today that there were 12 candidates before me in the Dublin panel.

As I am number 42, that means the next candidate is number 30.

This is roughly, but not exactly, in agreement with the numbers reported above. Does anybody have any further details?

Waiting to hear back from PAS on the current position, but it can be hard to work out exactly what the information they give you means. For example, if you are at 42 and they say there are twelve people ahead of you, they could have made offers to people up to six places ahead of you, but another six ahead of them might have not accepted an offer yet or might be in clearance or holding out for a rural post.

It would be easier if PAS put up a table for each current panel, showing, in our case, nos. 1-65 and their status eg offer made, offer accepted, in clearance, appointment date agreed, appointed, withdrawn, waiting for non-Dublin offer etc. It could be updated weekly, would not breach confidentiality as numbers only and would save them a lot of work in answering queries. It would also make it a lot clearer where you stand, which is all we really want to know.

Well, the number of candidates that PAS says are ahead of me would indicate that the panel is only up to number 28, which we seem to be beyond.

I can only think that some replies from PAS are all the people ahead of you who are not actually in a post yet (including still under offer etc and those waiting for a non-Dublin offer) and some are the number reached on the panel, whether or not those ahead of them have accepted a job, left the panel and so on. I suppose it is a small enough difference but it is a bit unclear.

I was told 10 days ago there were 5 ahead of me and I’m at number 36...so I posted we were at number 31! Now I’m really confused
    Well, the number of candidates that PAS says are ahead of me would indicate that the panel is only up to number 28, which we seem to be beyond.

I can only think that some replies from PAS are all the people ahead of you who are not actually in a post yet (including still under offer etc and those waiting for a non-Dublin offer) and some are the number reached on the panel, whether or not those ahead of them have accepted a job, left the panel and so on. I suppose it is a small enough difference but it is a bit unclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Conovski

Thanks for all the updates everyone.

Just wondering - I recall from previous competitions that PAS take batches for clearance. Would this have some impact on where people were told where the panel was?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 meteoris

I was told 10 days ago there were 5 ahead of me and I’m at number 36...so I posted we were at number 31! Now I’m really confused

I think we are all confused. The system lacks clarity.

If it helps I can confirm that at least 28 have been contacted and assigned to roles. I'm roundabout that number myself and have been appointed and have a start date confirmed with my new department.

I was contacted approximately one month ago to advise that my place on the panel had been reached and I had been assigned so unless things have ground to a complete halt..(which is possible given the time of year)... I'd guess the panel must be at least somewhere in the early thirties by now.

Perhaps it depends on what question you ask. This time, I asked what the current position on vacancies and appointments from this panel is and previously I've asked how many appointments have been made. I think next time I'll just ask what number the panel is up to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Triapin

Do you have any say in what department you are placed in? Do they match you to your experience/skills?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Triapin wrote: »
    Do you have any say in what department you are placed in? Do they match you to your experience/skills?

No, not at any grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Conovski

The panel has reached 32, based on an update I received today about the number of people ahead of me on the panel

Triapin wrote: »

As An Ri Rua said, strictly speaking the answer is no. We have been recruited as generalists onto a general panel, so we are expected to go anywhere as we have shown the core competencies and skills to carry out the PO role. In any event, PAS don't solicit vacancies, departments send them in, so they can't keep your place until something matching your skills or preferences comes up or keep such a post until your place on the panel comes up.

Informally, however, it may be useful to ask PAS about your preferences - if they have a bunch of vacancies come in together, they may be able to provide a sort of least unsuitable service to you. Similarly, your new department may have a post that fits your skills and it is certainly worthwhile, for a senior posting, contacting their HR unit once you have an offer. This may vary between departments, but in my experience HR in most places do their best for new entrants - no guarantees but you won't know if you don't ask.

And congratulations to Trickie Dickie on your appointment. That's great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Whaleseye

Hello,
    Many thanks to all the posters for these very useful posts. I am on the panel with OOM in the 40’s. I’ve found it difficult to get much information on progress, timelines etc further than how many are ahead of me currently on the panel. As of last week, I understood that it was at around 33.
    I just wondered if anyone had a sense of how long approximately it can take from your place being reached on the panel to actually starting in a new post (understanding of course that it can vary from dept to dept - I’m just wondering in general what to expect). I’m coming from outside the CS so this process is all very new to me.
    Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Whaleseye wrote: »
    Hello,
    Many thanks to all the posters for these very useful posts. I am on the panel with OOM in the 40’s. I’ve found it difficult to get much information on progress, timelines etc further than how many are ahead of me currently on the panel. As of last week, I understood that it was at around 33.
    I just wondered if anyone had a sense of how long approximately it can take from your place being reached on the panel to actually starting in a new post (understanding of course that it can vary from dept to dept - I’m just wondering in general what to expect). I’m coming from outside the CS so this process is all very new to me.
    Many thanks.

If you're in the 40s I'd imagine there can't be more than 10 or so ahead of you.
    Re timelines, I was CS, promoted in my existing Dept and the process took 2-3 weeks for paperwork, etc. If they have to do full clearance for you I'd image it would be double that at least. Pure guesstimates on my part but hope it's some way helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Sorry reread your message. You understand that the panel is currently at person #33? Sounds about right from what I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 celticfan1

Folks - just a thought.
    Given the talk amongst some of a possible embargo on recruitment.
    Is it possible that we could see some Departments rushing to this panel to fill posts in the near future ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Whaleseye

Xofpod wrote: »
    If you're in the 40s I'd imagine there can't be more than 10 or so ahead of you.
    Re timelines, I was CS, promoted in my existing Dept and the process took 2-3 weeks for paperwork, etc. If they have to do full clearance for you I'd image it would be double that at least. Pure guesstimates on my part but hope it's some way helpful.

That’s really helpful. Thanks so much! First straight answer I’ve managed to get :)

Advertisement