Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork to Santander Ferry starting April 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

A journey down to the south of Spain or Portugal would be about 12 hours. That is a lot of time to add onto the ferry journey.
    You would want to be going for at least 3 weeks.

Just checked google maps. About 9.5 hrs without stop to the Algarve or Malaga.
    I guess you could take an hour break. I think you would probably need a 2nd driver. Not ideal for your back but if you really need the car/fear of flying/kids with special needs it is an option.

It could be a good option for people who spend the winter in the sun, though the car insurance might be an issue.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

Just wondering is there a bar or cafe or coffee machine aboard, hopefully might get going next year, and will know what supplies to bring, thanks

Yep full bar open all day. Restaurant/cafe open meal times. Coffee is a lot better from the bar than the restaurant!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

schmittel wrote: »
    Yep full bar open all day. Restaurant/cafe open meal times. Coffee is a lot better from the bar than the restaurant!

How are people putting down the time on the ferry? Reading, walking about, watching tablets?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think Tiger you're addressing concerns of people who wont be using it re: Algarve and Malaga.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

How are people putting down the time on the ferry? Reading, walking about, watching tablets?

Old fashioned board games believe it or not. I have never seen so many parents playing games with their kids.

A lot of books with real pages as well. Relics of a bygone era!

And people were talking to each other as well!

It was quite refreshing to see a group of people without their heads buried in a phone/tablet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭54and56

We typically do the Dublin -> Rosslare drive then ferry to Roscoff/Cherbourg and then drive 760km down through Rennes -> Nantes -> Niort -> Bordeaux to our destination near Mimizan. From leaving the ferry to unpacking with one lunch break and one coffee stop it takes between 9 and 10 hours plus a full tank of diesel (€120 or so) and about €50 in toll charges which I know can be avoided if you don't value the time saving/ease of motorway driving.

As we go for 3 weeks I'm thinking of trying out the Santander ferry. We used the LD ferry a few years ago and apart from it being a serious bargain (something like €200 one way for a 4X4 and a 4 person outside cabin) it meant we had a relatively short journey from the ferry and arrived much fresher having avoided the big drive down through France.

Has anyone here used the Santander ferry and then driven back up towards Bordeaux as their holiday destination? Google maps is telling me the drive from Santander to Mimizan would be about 360km and 4 hours if done in a single stint which would be doable although a quick coffee/toilet break might be needed.

When we do our usual Rosslare -> Roscoff journey we can leave Dublin @ 11am Friday morning, get to Rosslare in time for a nice relaxing lunch, depart @ 16:00 or so and arrive Mimizan Saturday evening around 20:30 after the big drive.

The Friday night Cork -> Santander ferry wouldn't get us into Santander until 8am Sunday morning and we'd arrive at our holiday destination circa 13:00 all going well with diembarcation, border crossing (is it seamless a la northern Ireland?) and coffee stops etc

I'd have no problem with the "no frills" ferry as I believe it is similar to the Epsilion and the LD Lines ferry both of which had IMHO much more comfortable beds than the Oscar Wilde and we don't have young kids (17 and 13) so we've outgrown the face painting etc but much as I'd prefer a 5 hour drive to a 10 drive I'm not sure it's worth an extra night on a ferry and one less day (more or less) at the start and end of the holiday.

Any thoughts from someone who has tried similar? Was the trade off worth it? I'm veering towards "No".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The Friday night Cork -> Santander ferry wouldn't get us into Santander until 8am Sunday morning and we'd arrive at our holiday destination circa 13:00 all going well with diembarcation, border crossing (is it seamless a la northern Ireland?) and coffee stops etc
    The border is pretty much seamless, except there's a toll station very shortly over the french side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Just back. Ferry is totally fine. Clean. Staff were nice. Would do it again. Also had the dog with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Does anyone know if this route is running again in 2019? It’s not available on their website beyond November 2018 atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

ellee wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this route is running again in 2019? It’s not available on their website beyond November 2018 atm.

I was on to them a few months ago and they said 2019 dates would be up in September. No sign of them yet though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Juggler101 wrote: »
    I was on to them a few months ago and they said 2019 dates would be up in September. No sign of them yet though!
    Waiting for Mrs May to make up her mind.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭manshay

Dates, times and fares for 2019 now available online.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

We've just booked our ferry for summer 2019 now- €1,591 return for 2 adults, 3 children, cabin, large Motorhome sailing out in July returning August. Delighted with that price as it was coming in dearer when we priced it for this year (had already booked France).

We've done the Rosslare to Cherbourg crossing with Stena Line (and previously Celtic Link) for the last 8 years and find the ferry very relaxing, it's the start of our holiday. I'm sure we'll have no problem with the additional 10 hours on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Dublin Mum wrote:
    We've done the Rosslare to Cherbourg crossing with Stena Line (and previously Celtic Link) for the last 8 years and find the ferry very relaxing, it's the start of our holiday. I'm sure we'll have no problem with the additional 10 hours on this one.

I assume you confirmed you booked the 26 hour sailing and not the 33.

First Up wrote: »
    I assume you confirmed you booked the 26 hour sailing and not the 33.

Yes of course!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Very positive blog here from a woman and her family who travelled return on it.

https://pamelacahill.com/2018/09/17/brittany-ferries-cork-santander/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

She's a nice writer. I'd say she'd be positive about getting up in the morning. Great attitude to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

Very positive blog here from a woman and her family who travelled return on it.

https://pamelacahill.com/2018/09/17/brittany-ferries-cork-santander/

Great to know there's happy customers out there! Thanks for sharing

The blog embodies exactly what ferry travel is all about. Relaxing and enjoying it. It's the start and end of the holiday. So different from flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

New winter ferry between Cork and Spain will allow hauliers bypass UK over Brexit fears

The Connemara vessel will now depart Cork on Mondays and Fridays at 11.30pm, arriving in Santander at 8am on Wednesday and Sunday mornings respectively.

Freight figures since the introduction of the new Cork to Santander route have been encouraging with nearly 2,600 freight units carried to date with demand rising significantly in the last month.

• Advertisement

snotboogie wrote: »
    New winter ferry between Cork and Spain will allow hauliers bypass UK over Brexit fears

The Connemara vessel will now depart Cork on Mondays and Fridays at 11.30pm, arriving in Santander at 8am on Wednesday and Sunday mornings respectively.

Freight figures since the introduction of the new Cork to Santander route have been encouraging with nearly 2,600 freight units carried to date with demand rising significantly in the last month.
    Sounds good. The commercial traffic is the main business; private cars/passengers will be a minor part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

That was the whole idea of introducing it. Great that it is continuing but bad from another point of view,,,Brexit is now a reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Sounds good. The commercial traffic is the main business; private cars/passengers will be a minor part of it.

Whilst that is very true, the facilities on what is described as an economy sailing are top notch, a small restaurant, a bar, an ensuite cabin, the internet access is the only real area I'd wish to improve, but it's kinda nice being out of touch for two days. I crossed on what was supposed to be the last sailing of the season and I really couldn't find fault with the whole experience. Long may it continue.

gbob wrote: »

Whilst that is very true, the facilities on what is described as an economy sailing are top notch, a small restaurant, a bar, an ensuite cabin, the internet access is the only real area I'd wish to improve, but it's kinda nice being out of touch for two days. I crossed on what was supposed to be the last sailing of the season and I really couldn't find fault with the whole experience. Long may it continue.
    Very similar to the Stena ship that does Rosslare-Cherbourg I think, but 7/8 hours longer. That one is OK but nicer when not too busy.

Do they park the cars on the open upper deck on the Santander ferry?

Very similar to the Stena ship that does Rosslare-Cherbourg I think, but 7/8 hours longer. That one is OK but nicer when not too busy.

They do, not much space for upper deck parking, and my car was so heavily loaded it wouldn't have made it up.

gbob wrote: »

They do, not much space for upper deck parking, and my car was so heavily loaded it wouldn't have made it up.
    I assume they let you stay on the lower level?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I presume it is advisable to wash your car after that journey,can you buy a ticket to keep your car inside.

I assume they let you stay on the lower level?

I think you've to park where directed, although it seems the bigger heavier vehicles aren't shoved up to the top deck.

I presume it is advisable to wash your car after that journey,can you buy a ticket to keep your car inside.

It would probably be a good idea to wash that salt air off alright. I'm pretty sure it's not possible to select a preference when booking, I don't recall seeing it when booking.

• Advertisement

Larger vehicles are parked lower down. We have a motorhome and have never been put on the top deck. We're always parked with trucks, large vans, motorhomes, campervans and caravans. There is no option to select where you park. Your parking allocation is based on the size of your vehicle (which you confirm when booking). Car wash when you get off the ferry is usually advised.

Advertisement