Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork to Santander Ferry starting April 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I hadn't realised that the Connemara has also been added to the Roscoff route midweek. Great option for us as we're normally limited to 12 nights in France by losing a day each way whereas we've booked the Pont Aven out on the Saturday & the Connemara coming back from Roscoff on a Tuesday evening giving us 16 nights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I hadn't realised that the Connemara has also been added to the Roscoff route midweek. Great option for us as we're normally limited to 12 nights in France by losing a day each way whereas we've booked the Pont Aven out on the Saturday & the Connemara coming back from Roscoff on a Tuesday evening giving us 16 nights :)

Used it last year and absolutely couldn't fault it, great service and the days and times it arrives suits us better also.
    Once you know there's no entertainment so to bring tablets and games for the kids it's a lovely clean ship with a well stocked bar and restaurant.
    One tip is if you have buggys and kids then request the top deck as there's no lift from the bottom car hold so it's a ridiculously steep escalator which is tough holding a buggy, bags and kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Used it last year and absolutely couldn't fault it, great service and the days and times it arrives suits us better also. Once you know there's no entertainment so to bring tablets and games for the kids it's a lovely clean ship with a well stocked bar and restaurant. One tip is if you have buggys and kids then request the top deck as there's no lift from the bottom car hold so it's a ridiculously steep escalator which is tough holding a buggy, bags and kids.

Which one did you use last year?

First Up wrote: »
    Which one did you use last year?

The connemara which is why I quoted the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Used it last year and absolutely couldn't fault it, great service and the days and times it arrives suits us better also.
    Once you know there's no entertainment so to bring tablets and games for the kids it's a lovely clean ship with a well stocked bar and restaurant.
    One tip is if you have buggys and kids then request the top deck as there's no lift from the bottom car hold so it's a ridiculously steep escalator which is tough holding a buggy, bags and kids.

Fortunately I'm well beyond the buggy stage, but the 19:00 sailing back from Roscoff on a Tuesday is brilliant as it gives plenty of time to drive to the port without leaving at some crazy hour in the morning.

• Advertisement

The connemara which is why I quoted the OP.

OK - you mentioned the Pont Aven too.

OK - you mentioned the Pont Aven too.

Im not trying to get into an argument but I didn't mention the Pont Aven.

My mistake.

Your post answered one that mention both ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

I need a little advice as I am trying to persuade my kids and wife to take the connemara to Santander this summer and come back from Roscoff but they are worried about lolloping about on the bay of biscay .Is it a lot bumpier than say the Oscar Wilde to Roscoff or is there much difference in any of your experiences ?Many thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

jimmyging wrote: »
    I need a little advice as I am trying to persuade my kids and wife to take the connemara to Santander this summer and come back from Roscoff but they are worried about lolloping about on the bay of biscay .Is it a lot bumpier than say the Oscar Wilde to Roscoff or is there much difference in any of your experiences ?Many thanks in advance

Depends on the time of day and weather i guess.. We sailed it last year and didn't notice much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Limerick 37.5

That us the route I took last year, out to Santander and then return via Roscoff, if I was to do it again, I would go and return via Santander, it is a much nicer ferry.

jimmyging wrote:

I don't think there is much difference between the ships in rough seas. I think the OW was slightly better than the Stena Horizon which is similar to the Connemara but you won't be on the OW anyway.

Its really about the length of voyage. The Bay of Biscay has a reputation for being stormy and its almost twice as long a crossing as Cork-Roscoff (26 v14). However you get to see more of the country and much less time behind the wheel.

I'd probably risk it in summer.

That us the route I took last year, out to Santander and then return via Roscoff, if I was to do it again, I would go and return via Santander, it is a much nicer ferry.

Nicer than which ferry?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

jimmyging wrote: »

We're going in July with 3 kids and like others have said it depends on the weather on the day so we're just going to go with the flow and not think about it. As it happens we know of a couple who sailed as late as October and said it was a very smooth crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

Santander may be the best option unless you have a yellow jacket, plenty of money for fuel, a breathalyser and a vignet if you wish to visit most cities. Last year some garages were charging 1-74 a litre for petrol ( on the motorway) 1-50 in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 determinedlass

Evening,

Hope everyone is cosy on this freezing night!

Two of us are hoping to finish walking the Northern Camino this summer, starting from Santander. When we saw that there was a ferry from Cork, we thought it would be an attractive ( environmental, we have the time etc.) alternative to flying.

Obviously we won't have a car, but we can't book without a car. What would be the chances that if we just showed up, a car/ campervan (or arrange something somehow in advance) would be happy to take us and halve the cost?

I'm really just thinking out loud at the moment and feel free to write if what I'm suggesting is madness.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Evening,

Two of us are hoping to finish walking the Northern Camino this summer, starting from Santander. When we saw that there was a ferry from Cork, we thought it would be an attractive ( environmental, we have the time etc.) alternative to flying.

Obviously we won't have a car, but we can't book without a car. What would be the chances that if we just showed up, a car/ campervan (or arrange something somehow in advance) would be happy to take us and halve the cost?

I'm really just thinking out loud at the moment and feel free to write if what I'm suggesting is madness.

Thank you.

I think you would still need to be booked to travel on the ferry, check with Brittany Ferries first to see if they would take you as a foot passenger, ring them and explain, passenger spaces are quite limited so far more logical for them to take a booking for car and two people rather than just foot passengers, however if not a busy crossing you might be in luck.

Evening,

Thank you.

I'd advise you to ring Brittney Ferries in the first instance to see what they advise as I did read of someone who did this last year and was able to book directly as a foot passenger. You mention going in the summer, which I'd imagine given the size of the ferry and the fact that it's only their second year in operation, is likely to be full to capacity, as will their cabins which you'll definitely need on a sailing this length unless you're on a tight budget and willing to rough it.

While I do note your environmental concerns, unless you're planning on bringing a tent, bikes and or a lot of luggage, if there are only 2 of you and you don't have a car, you'd probably be cheaper flying.

If neither of the above suggestions work out, you could chance your arm posting on the motorhome forum for someone already booked who might be in a position to add you both to their existing booking? I'd imagine anyone with a car will probably be too packed to drive onto the ferry with 2 additional passengers and all your luggage.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 determinedlass

Thank you - will keep you updated!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Looks like the Connemara is being switched next year. I read elsewhere that the replacement ship's layout can accommodate 1000 passengers. Would be great if they start taking walk on passengers.

https://afloat.ie/port-news/ferry-news/item/43013-new-ship-charter-will-secure-2020-season-schedules-says-brittany-ferries

• Advertisement

Looks like the Connemara is being switched next year. I read elsewhere that the replacement ship's layout can accommodate 1000 passengers. Would be great if they start taking walk on passengers.

It looks to be similar in layout to the Connemara and Horizon but I see mention of a new Cruise Ferry coming next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Great news, delighted this route is going well. Was on it last year and planning two trips next year

Yes had read it was originally a 2 year trial so great to hear its continuing. Sailing to Santander in 2 weeks and cannot wait to sail ��

Dublin Mum wrote:
    Yes had read it was originally a 2 year trial so great to hear its continuing. Sailing to Santander in 2 weeks and cannot wait to sail

I'd say it is 80% dependent on commercial traffic rather than holiday makers so presumably those contracts are looking solid with re-routed supply chains to by-pass the UK.

I'd say it is 80% dependent on commercial traffic rather than holiday makers so presumably those contracts are looking solid with re-routed supply chains to by-pass the UK.

Wouldn't be sure of the breakdown. I know lots of holiday makers who've already used it more than once over the last 12 months. Great news on all fronts.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

https://afloat.ie/port-news/ferry-news/item/43013-new-ship-charter-will-secure-2020-season-schedules-says-brittany-ferries

They will clean up if they allow foot passengers

People with a fear of flying,cyclists etc

They will clean up if they allow foot passengers

People with a fear of flying,cyclists etc

I think foot passengers are allowed but arriving in Santander without transport sort of limits your options.

Maybe the Camino market.

I think foot passengers are allowed but arriving in Santander without transport sort of limits your options.

Maybe the Camino market.

They don't currently allow foot passengers on this crossing per the website.

Dublin Mum wrote:
    They don't currently allow foot passengers on this crossing per the website.

OK. I see the vehicle/on foot heading but when you open the options, its all for vehicles. Wouldn't have thought the foot passenger market was very big anyway.

• Advertisement

OK. I see the vehicle/on foot heading but when you open the options, its all for vehicles. Wouldn't have thought the foot passenger market was very big anyway.

Yes unless someone was planning a (motor)cycling trip and bringing their own tent, it would make far more sense to fly as it would be significantly cheaper. The main beauty of the direct ferry to Spain is the ability to take your car, caravan, motorhome etc.

Advertisement