Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork to Santander Ferry starting April 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

EdgeCase wrote: »
    First Up wrote: »
    The website spells it out very clearly that it is a no frills service. They can't do more than that. If people expect something more, its their own fault for not doing the research.

I'm not saying their website doesn't. I'm just saying that on that route, it's a long time to be on a no-frills service and something I wouldn't be willing to do and there is an assumption that car ferries have some level of service.

As long as the ferry's a reasonable price, I would be willing to pay for some frills and the likes of the Post Aven provides just that, at a pretty decent price too.

I'd still suspect this is a low risk, low commitment market test for them.
    I agree its a long time; some sailings are twice as long as Stena from Rosslare to Cherbourg and the time drags on that one.

People who base their travel plans on "assumptions" deserve what they get.

I'd say they are testing the market alright but its mostly a freight oriented service and will rise or fall on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

First Up wrote: »
    Happy to help.

I wish you the same kind of help with your incredibly similar query of people's experience above.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭hometruths

Just booked, mid August, cost €850 return for car 2 adults, 2 kids.

Bit wary of trying to entertain kids with no frills, but figure it is easier to entertain them on a boat than in the car, and this saves us two days each way in the car!

Also hopeful that if Brittany can get a decent level of interest on this route, they'll put a boat with frills on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

schmittel wrote: »

Bit wary of trying to entertain kids with no frills, but figure it is easier to entertain them on a boat than in the car, and this saves us two days each way in the car!

Also hopeful that if Brittany can get a decent level of interest on this route, they'll put a boat with frills on!

Take off how many hours ye will be sleeping for and its not that long at all. Breakfast, dinner Supper, TV for a while. It'll fly.

Do you get a cabin for that price ?

Take off how many hours ye will be sleeping for and its not that long at all. Breakfast, dinner Supper, TV for a while. It'll fly.

Do you get a cabin for that price ?

Yep includes cabin on both legs - inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Board games. Try to do things that you wouldn't do normally due to TV, internet, phones etc. Treat it like a camping trip. I'd say the kids will love it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Where abouts are you heading once you get off the boat? ive been looking at this myself and i guess you still need to drive to portugal or the bottom of spain to hit the popular areas people normally go to on holidays? Im trying to figure out where to go!!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Where abouts are you heading once you get off the boat? ive been looking at this myself and i guess you still need to drive to portugal or the bottom of spain to hit the popular areas people normally go to on holidays? Im trying to figure out where to go!!

The Atlantic North of Spain is stunning. Head west from Santander to Asturias and explore the Picos National Park and the cities of Oviedo and Gijon. You won't be disappointed.

You've beach resorts too, like Laredo near Bilbao.

If you're into food, head to San Sebastian, the culinary capital of Spain. And it happens to be quite a pretty city too.

Or head far west to Galicia, with its rugged coastline and the famous city of Santiago de Compostela.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

any of you booked apartments in north Spain?? any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

That is very good value for mid August.

• Advertisement

That is very good value for mid August.

Yes, I was pretty pleased with the price - return is in September which makes a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Limerick 37.5

I went on this ferry three weeks ago with four children from Cork to Santander and it was super. Although it is advertised as an economy service, there is restaurant on board and also a small bar. The crossing was very calm and the boat was only half full which no doubt helped, but I would recommend it to anyone interested. What surprised me was the food served on board was very good and was reasonably priced. Was apprehensive about the ferry service before booking and could not find any reviews but delighted I took the ferry and would see myself doing it again in the future. No hesitation in recommending this service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

French food from a chipper would beat an Irish 5 star restaurant any day. Why you are surprised there was a restaurant on board I don't know, it was advertised.

It is advertised as a Self-Service restaurant. I did not know what to expect. What is in offer is good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

Great to hear a positive review on the trip. I'm considering doing the Santander route next summer then driving up through France and returning home via the usual French ports.
    I went on this ferry three weeks ago with four children from Cork to Santander and it was super. Although it is advertised as an economy service, there is restaurant on board and also a small bar. The crossing was very calm and the boat was only half full which no doubt helped, but I would recommend it to anyone interested. What surprised me was the food served on board was very good and was reasonably priced. Was apprehensive about the ferry service before booking and could not find any reviews but delighted I took the ferry and would see myself doing it again in the future. No hesitation in recommending this service

Juggler101 wrote: »
    Great to hear a positive review on the trip. I'm considering doing the Santander route next summer then driving up through France and returning home via the usual French ports.

That is what we did, returned through Roscoff, but i would have no hesitation in returning through Santander if I was to do the trip again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Good review, thanks. Roundy, that's a glib comment. you need to get out more.
    Suggest you go to Kc's in Douglas. No need to go five star.

Their is even a whole 7 year long thread of nice places to eat in Cork.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056189950

Good to hear. A half full boat is always going to be more comfortable than one that is packed to the gills but nice to know you found it OK.

You seem to have had low expectations overall, judging from some of your comments. How would you compare the Cork-Santander service with the return from Roscoff?

My expectations were as a result of the information I had. The boat is advertised as an economy boat, when I rang to book it, the person at the other end of the phone reiterated the fact that it was an economy boat, there were no review of the service online, so realistically what would you think? And to be honest I would take the Cork - Santander ferry again before the Roscoff Roslare service. I was very happy with the service, many others may not be in the future, but all I can say is that it worked for me.

My expectations were as a result of the information I had. The boat is advertised as an economy boat, when I rang to book it, the person at the other end of the phone reiterated the fact that it was an economy boat, there were no review of the service online, so realistically what would you think? And to be honest I would take the Cork - Santander ferry again before the Roscoff Roslare service. I was very happy with the service, many others may not be in the future, but all I can say is that it worked for me.
    I assume Roscoff to Rosslare was with Irish Ferries on the Oscar Wilde?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Water John wrote: »
    Good review, thanks. Roundy, that's a glib comment. you need to get out more.
    Suggest you go to Kc's in Douglas. No need to go five star.

Their is even a whole 7 year long thread of nice places to eat in Cork.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056189950
    Would'nt eat in that **** hole, I'll leave people like you to support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Using this route in August kids, dog, bikes, roofbox driving to the Costa Brava then. Always used the other routes through France. Drive to Spain was always the killer for me as im the only driver. This sounds great.

I know the boat aint nothing special but sher we went on the LD Lines boat to Saint Nazzaire few years back and that was very very basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

roundymac wrote: »
    French food from a chipper would beat an Irish 5 star restaurant any day. Why you are surprised there was a restaurant on board I don't know, it was advertised.

lol'ing at how wrong this is

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Me too.
    Some of the worst food I've ever had had been in France. I've also had lots and lots of really good food in France but when it's badly done, it's a special kind of bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Me too.
    Some of the worst food I've ever had had been in France. I've also had lots and lots of really good food in France but when it's badly done, it's a special kind of bad.

Massive chip on the shoulder. Wouldn't take any notice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

I'm betting that food was muck no offense to your discernible palette. Cant see the beer belly truckers wanting anything but egg and chips. Just because its a French ferry wont mean Michelin star quality foods being served? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    I'm betting that food was muck no offense to your discernible palette. Cant see the beer belly truckers wanting anything but egg and chips. Just because its a French ferry wont mean Michelin star quality foods being served? :rolleyes:

Have you been on the ferry?

He said good quality food. Nothing else.

No need to bash entire truckers community and the poster and the ferry kitchen in one post.

This thread turned into some kind of French food review. Who cares? It's not like you are stuck in there for a week. Pretty sure their offer will suffice for a meal or two to not to die of starvation before getting to France.

Looking forward for more reviews as it is a trip I was considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Oasis1974 wrote: »

Aw are you having a bad day pet,did a lorry not pull in off the road to let you pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Can't comment from personal experience yet, but my neighbour & his family are just back and he was delighted with the service.

Said the ship was exactly as described, nothing special but very clean, staff were lovely. Cabins were bright and the food was good - bearing in mind he's a chef, I'd take that as positive. Restaurant was self service but there was a good range of hot and cold food. Apparently the truckers tended to eat when they first got onto the ferry & fairly early lunchtime for the rest of the trip, so recommended waiting till after they had finished & therefore no real queues.

Bar was reasonable and plenty of room to stretch the legs.

His last comment was that it was "exactly as it says on the tin".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Great to see some positive feedback from people who've actually used it. Was a lot of scaremongering for some reason

Advertisement