Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork to Santander Ferry starting April 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Can't comment from personal experience yet, but my neighbour & his family are just back and he was delighted with the service.

Said the ship was exactly as described, nothing special but very clean, staff were lovely. Cabins were bright and the food was good - bearing in mind he's a chef, I'd take that as positive. Restaurant was self service but there was a good range of hot and cold food. Apparently the truckers tended to eat when they first got onto the ferry & fairly early lunchtime for the rest of the trip, so recommended waiting till after they had finished & therefore no real queues.

Bar was reasonable and plenty of room to stretch the legs.

His last comment was that it was "exactly as it says on the tin".
    Sounds great. The only issue really is the length of the trip. It might be a challenge for families trying to keep kids amused but I think I'd be happy to try that as an alternative to driving the length of France (and doubly so if it avoided driving across the UK too.)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

First Up wrote: »
    Sounds great. The only issue really is the length of the trip. It might be a challenge for families trying to keep kids amused but I think I'd be happy to try that as an alternative to driving the length of France (and doubly so if it avoided driving across the UK too.)

I've just returned from a trip and went Cork>Santander>Roscoff>Cork

The trip over was actually fine - didn't have kids with us so a Kindle and a laptop with some downloaded Netflix episodes were enough entertainment.

You get on late on Friday eve and spend Saturday on the boat, then you're in port when you wake up Sunday morning. I didn't see too many young kids on the boat tbh. It's a 'no frills' service so there's no cinema, kids area, face painting etc that you'd get on Irish ferries.

Overall, it was fine and I'd do it again - it certainly beats driving the length of France - we drove back because we stopped in a few places as part of the holiday so it broke up the driving.

Overall, I'd say it's easier to entertain your kids on a boat than it is to keep them happy while you drive over a 1000km...

Cyclepath wrote: »

I've just returned from a trip and went Cork>Santander>Roscoff>Cork

The trip over was actually fine - didn't have kids with us so a Kindle and a laptop with some downloaded Netflix episodes were enough entertainment.

You get on late on Friday eve and spend Saturday on the boat, then you're in port when you wake up Sunday morning. I didn't see too many young kids on the boat tbh. It's a 'no frills' service so there's no cinema, kids area, face painting etc that you'd get on Irish ferries.

Overall, it was fine and I'd do it again - it certainly beats driving the length of France - we drove back because we stopped in a few places as part of the holiday so it broke up the driving.

Overall, I'd say it's easier to entertain your kids on a boat than it is to keep them happy while you drive over a 1000km...
    Sounds good. Was the boat busy?

No actually, it was a lot less busy than the Stena service from Rosslare to Roscoff/Cherbourg which uses the same type of ship. Even on the return leg from Roscoff, the ship wasn't as busy as Stena.

Getting to the car deck is a lot less stressful than the bigger Irish ferries ships...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Makgyver

We made the sailing from Cork, with my wife and two children.

We brought with us a load of DVDs, books and games but they were left pretty much untouched as our children were too busy playing with the other children onboard, there was at least 30, with a small play park beside the bar.

Food in the restaurant was average, the menu changed very little between lunch and dinner. It onky served certain hours but there was a microwave and toaster available to passengers.
    The bar had a good selection of drinks and stayed open till 11pm.
    There was a small shop, duty free style, not much selection and didn't open very long.
    The lounge area was just big enough and had a good atmosphere.

Live entertainment is provided by the passengers themselves! ;)

Cabins were small but grand, clean. The ship was medium sized, about 10yrs old, easy to get around and the crew quite friendly.

We thought that the voyage would be very long, ~26hrs, but we hardly even noticed the time passing; it seemed surreal to just drive on in Cork, have a few beers, some grub and a nap then drive off in Spain. It's so much more enjoyable than flying and beats the merde of having to drive down through France!

• Advertisement

No actually, it was a lot less busy than the Stena service from Rosslare to Roscoff/Cherbourg which uses the same type of ship. Even on the return leg from Roscoff, the ship wasn't as busy as Stena.

Getting to the car deck is a lot less stressful than the bigger Irish ferries ships...
    Having that bit of extra space will have helped.

There's a lift you can use to get to the car decks on the Oscar Wilde. Takes all the stress out of it.

The Stena ship is smaller for sure but the ramp up to the open car deck is not for the faint-hearted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

Makgyver wrote: »
    We made the sailing from Cork, with my wife and two children.

We brought with us a load of DVDs, books and games but they were left pretty much untouched as our children were too busy playing with the other children onboard, there was at least 30, with a small play park beside the bar.

Food in the restaurant was average, the menu changed very little between lunch and dinner. It onky served certain hours but there was a microwave and toaster available to passengers.
    The bar had a good selection of drinks and stayed open till 11pm.
    There was a small shop, duty free style, not much selection and didn't open very long.
    The lounge area was just big enough and had a good atmosphere.

Live entertainment is provided by the passengers themselves! ;)

Cabins were small but grand, clean. The ship was medium sized, about 10yrs old, easy to get around and the crew quite friendly.

We thought that the voyage would be very long, ~26hrs, but we hardly even noticed the time passing; it seemed surreal to just drive on in Cork, have a few beers, some grub and a nap then drive off in Spain. It's so much more enjoyable than flying and beats the merde of having to drive down through France!

Did you stay in Spain??

There's a lift you can use to get to the car decks on the Oscar Wilde. Takes all the stress out of it.

The Stena ship is smaller for sure but the ramp up to the open car deck is not for the faint-hearted!

There's an escalator on the Brittany/Stena ship that brings you down to the main car deck and a lift that brings truckers down the lower decks.

When I mentioned stress funnily enough it wasn't about stairs/lifts but the mad queues for the doors/lifts on the Irish ferries ship. Brittany ferries seem to organise it a bit better with folk waiting in the bar area and the much lower volume of people means everyone is down to their car and off the ship far more quickly.

I've done the ramp to the open deck and yes, it's an experience! Though driving a high up diesel crew cab van makes it a bit less daunting!

There's an escalator on the Brittany/Stena ship that brings you down to the main car deck and a lift that brings truckers down the lower decks.

When I mentioned stress funnily enough it wasn't about stairs/lifts but the mad queues for the doors/lifts on the Irish ferries ship. Brittany ferries seem to organise it a bit better with folk waiting in the bar area and the much lower volume of people means everyone is down to their car and off the ship far more quickly.

I've done the ramp to the open deck and yes, it's an experience! Though driving a high up diesel crew cab van makes it a bit less daunting!
    I never understood the scramble to the car decks. The call is in loads of time, yet people insist on going early and then block corridors and stairs with luggage and impatient children. They then spend a half hour in the car waiting for the doors to open!

A bit of extra time to re-load the car is fine but otherwise, sit in your cabin and read a book!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

to be fair, I never understood the Irish Ferries crush to get to the car decks either... until this year! This summer we had the caravan on board, and you are the first people off the boat. As soon as they open the lifts/stairwells, you've got to load up kids, bags etc, get caravan and car ready to go and then you're off. If not, you're holding up everyone else on the boat.

What's all the talk about the Stena ramp and 'not for the faint hearted'?? I'm getting a bit freaked out :eek: Are ye actually talking about a Stena ship, or the Brittany Ferries Cork - Santander boat?

• Advertisement

Juggler101 wrote: »
    to be fair, I never understood the Irish Ferries crush to get to the car decks either... until this year! This summer we had the caravan on board, and you are the first people off the boat. As soon as they open the lifts/stairwells, you've got to load up kids, bags etc, get caravan and car ready to go and then you're off. If not, you're holding up everyone else on the boat.

What's all the talk about the Stena ramp and 'not for the faint hearted'?? I'm getting a bit freaked out :eek: Are ye actually talking about a Stena ship, or the Brittany Ferries Cork - Santander boat?

I was talking about the ramp on the Stena ship; the Brittany Ferries boat looks a similar design but that would need to be confirmed.

But don't worry; if you have a caravan you won't be asked to go up the ramp!

Fair enough if you are loading a caravan but there's no need for everyone else to block your way.

I was talking about the ramp on the Stena ship; the Brittany Ferries boat looks a similar design but that would need to be confirmed.

But don't worry; if you have a caravan you won't be asked to go up the ramp!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Watergirl4

I have just returned from a holiday on the northern spanish coast near Santander - we flew into Santander and hired a car, but a lot of people staying close to us had taken the ferry. I was just curious as to the benefits of taking the ferry vs flying and hiring a car - we are about the same distance from Dublin Airport as the Cork Ferry Port, but a few holiday makers that we met had driven from Dublin to Cork to get on the ferry.

We love holidaying around the Northern Coast so just looking for some perspectives from those who take ferry over flying. Flights to Santander are fairly reasonable for a family.

Those staying near us were positive about the ferry experience but weren't sure they could justify the length of time on the ferry just to have their own car at the other side.

Thanks

WG

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Watergirl4 wrote: »
    I have just returned from a holiday on the northern spanish coast near Santander - we flew into Santander and hired a car, but a lot of people staying close to us had taken the ferry. I was just curious as to the benefits of taking the ferry vs flying and hiring a car - we are about the same distance from Dublin Airport as the Cork Ferry Port, but a few holiday makers that we met had driven from Dublin to Cork to get on the ferry.

We love holidaying around the Northern Coast so just looking for some perspectives from those who take ferry over flying. Flights to Santander are fairly reasonable for a family.

Those staying near us were positive about the ferry experience but weren't sure they could justify the length of time on the ferry just to have their own car at the other side.

Thanks

WG
    I think unlimited luggage is the appeal - especially if you have kids.
    Room for all the Barry's tea bags and rashers!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭hometruths

Yep thats it for us. Our kids are still at the age where they have a raft of accompanying paraphernalia, prams etc.

Plus we go for at least 4 weeks so convenience of own car and cost of car hire come into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

/QUOTE]

For me the benefit is for touring with my car/caravan, as opposed to getting to spain and staying in a resort for 2 weeks. My plan would be to get ferry to spain, then tour from there up to north france, then get the ferry home to Ireland from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It really is another great option opening up. The more the merrier and the ferry seems to be of a quite adequate standard.
    It must be a real boon for the lorry drivers able to drive off and reach a good part of Spain.

Room for all the Barry's tea bags and rashers!

And more importantly, room for loads of Wine and Serrano Ham on the way back. I'd be sticking the kids on a Ryanair flight and filling their seats with cases of wine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

And more importantly, room for loads of Wine and Serrano Ham on the way back. I'd be sticking the kids on a Ryanair flight and filling their seats with cases of wine :D

Of course! Forgot about that perk.

/QUOTE]

For me the benefit is for touring with my car/caravan, as opposed to getting to spain and staying in a resort for 2 weeks. My plan would be to get ferry to spain, then tour from there up to north france, then get the ferry home to Ireland from there.

I can totally understand that as you are going for 4 weeks and moving around a lot...I was just wondering were we missing some advantage that the people next to us accommodation wise had by having their own car and an 11 day stay like us.

We didn't travel light by plane either (car seats, buggy, loads of bags)so we might think about travelling back through France next year - it was an option we hadn't considered...but we should be buggy free next year and our children are getting older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

Great reading the reviews about this route - thanks to all who posted then.

We're thinking of making a change from our usual France holiday and trying Spain for 2019.

From a quick search online, there's not as many campsites on the Northern Spain coast with decent waterslides/pools? Especially compared to what's all over France.

Any pointers for mobile home campsites - with waterslides - within 2/3 hour drive of Santander port?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

I dont know any in the northern coast of Spain. I'd say you will need to go into Santander or a "Parque Aquiatico" for that sort of waterslides. Many (or all) of the camps have pools though. Some will have one (or few) slides.
    Camp sites in the northern spain tend to be relatively small and all about the beach where they are closer to and activities with the nature, animals, etc.  It is a different type of holiday experience what northern spain offers. You may want to try one year and then be able to compare which one suits you best.
    For mega camps with all those fancy waterslides you may need to drive to Costa Brava.
    All the best in your research,

Hi

I would agree with Galego. We have only stayed on a campsite once and that was this year - we have been to Costa Verde before. I noticed from looking on the Euroc%mp website that the site in Noja didn't have the slides etc but for me the access to the beach and the natural resources were more what we were looking for.

There were 3 pools in Playa Joyel - we went to them for about 1-2 hours 4 times over our 11 day stay - I much prefer the beach. There were loads of beach activities - kayaking and surf lessons - some of my children are a little young for surf lessons but love playing on the beach.

Play Joyel is on a nature reserve and has its own animal park which can be visited a few times per week but the big plus is the beach. I think if you value the waterslides, you may need to travel to another part of Spain or perhaps up the French coast from Santander.

I don't have experience of the waterslides to compare it to so advice from someone who has been to both is probably what you really need.

Reporting live from the Connemara! I have to say it is pretty good. Certainly the cabins are much better than those in the Irish ferries to roscoff and Brittany ferries ex Portsmouth that I have taken before.

The rest of the ship is pretty basic but functional. It is no frills but certainly not down at heel.

So far, so good.

schmittel wrote: »
    Reporting live from the Connemara! I have to say it is pretty good. Certainly the cabins are much better than those in the Irish ferries to roscoff and Brittany ferries ex Portsmouth that I have taken before.

The rest of the ship is pretty basic but functional. It is no frills but certainly not down at heel.

So far, so good.
    Good to hear.
    As a matter of interest, which class of cabin on the Oscar Wilde are you comparing it with?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

And how full is it?

Good to hear.
    As a matter of interest, which class of cabin on the Oscar Wilde are you comparing it with?

Inside 4 berth - same as I always book.

Harika wrote: »
    And how full is it?

It was worryingly quiet. Worrying from the point of view that I hope they keep the route, but of course the fact it was not jammers probably made the crossing more pleasant.

Only getting back to this thread now because the onboard free wifi was rubbish! But having done the whole journey that would be my only complaint.

It was brilliant. From the point of view of a family travelling to southern Spain it is a game changer and I hope it is very successful.

I think the whole no frills thing has been over egged by the company themselves. They advertise it with warnings as if it is a cattle ship, and before booking you have to accept a disclaimer that you are accepting steerage class. It is nothing of the sort.

The reality is if you are viewing the ferry trip as a necessary part of the journey as an alternative to driving through France this route wins hands down on every consideration.

There may be some less easily convinced because they view the ferry trip as part of the holiday itself and need clowns for the kids etc but for us this ferry is a godsend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

schmittel wrote: »
    Only getting back to this thread now because the onboard free wifi was rubbish! But having done the whole journey that would be my only complaint.

It was brilliant. From the point of view of a family travelling to southern Spain it is a game changer and I hope it is very successful.

I think the whole no frills thing has been over egged by the company themselves. They advertise it with warnings as if it is a cattle ship, and before booking you have to accept a disclaimer that you are accepting steerage class. It is nothing of the sort.

The reality is if you are viewing the ferry trip as a necessary part of the journey as an alternative to driving through France this route wins hands down on every consideration.

There may be some less easily convinced because they view the ferry trip as part of the holiday itself and need clowns for the kids etc but for us this ferry is a godsend.
    Just wondering is there a bar or cafe or coffee machine aboard, hopefully might get going next year, and will know what supplies to bring, thanks

Advertisement