Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Spring Cleaning 2021 - Braun Strowman, Aliester Black, Buddy Murphy & More

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,289 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder will they release Robert Stone now they seem to be coming to the end with the cheap TK rib.

A year to the day they did the pandemic releases as well.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113167466

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Loughc wrote: »
    WWE is a scumbag company. Pure as.

Budget cuts and they sold the network content for as much as they have. No travel costs at the moment either. They’re more profitable now than ever.

They can f right off. I cancelled my network after renewing for Rumble to Mania. I’m praying the USA network drops them soon can’t see it happening. But we’ll keep hoping.

I mean we shouldn't really be as surprised as we are, yet somehow we are.

I thought Joe was older and in his late 40's for some reason. At 42 he'll be a great pick up for a company if he can stay injury free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,848 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Wow how does a promotion make a balls of Samoa Joe?

Damn

Joe had everything, superb on the mic, badass wrestler but they never went with him

madness

Headshot wrote: »
    Wow how does a promotion make a balls of Samoa Joe?

Damn

Joe had everything, superb on the mic, badass wrestler but they never went with him

madness

It's the billion dollar question to be honest.

ThePott wrote: »
    Joe was savage, a believable badass.
    Still one of my favourite moments was when he told Brock to look at him when he's speaking to him or we can settle this right now. Around 3.30 in the video below.
    Even in that segment where he went nose to nose with him.

That feud had a proper big fight feel, still think them not putting the belt on Joe at this time was a serious mistake.

That clip also has one of my favourite Brock Lesnar moments, when he grabs the mic from Heyman, (after Angle proposes Reigns/Lesnar at that years Summerslam) says you gotta be kidding me, you think you deserve this, you don't deserve jack **** buddy, Angle between them thinking Oh ****, and Heyman just beautifully reacting to Lesnar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

If AEW keeps signing these WWE castoffs, they'll just look like a second-rate promotion like TNA. They should stick to signing stars from other companies and creating their own.

July 14th 2021 is when the 90 days No compete clause for those released tonight will expire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,848 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    July 14th 2021 is when the 90 days No compete clause for those released tonight will expire.

This clause stuff really ****ing annoys me that they sack these wrestlers but yet expect them not to compete for 90 days

If AEW keeps signing these WWE castoffs, they'll just look like a second-rate promotion like TNA. They should stick to signing stars from other companies and creating their own.

Haven't we beaten this horse dead enough already, or some variation of it previously?

All wrestling companies are built on others cast offs. It's how Vince built his empire, it's how WCW did it before that went tits up, that's how TNA did it before they went tits up too and rebranded to GFW then to IMPACT.

And it's how AEW are doing it, while signing and building their own homegrown talent.

Good talent in professional wrestling is good talent, regardless of previous affiliation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

My understanding is the ninety days can be waived if they don’t take a payout.

Headshot wrote: »
    This clause stuff really ****ing annoys me that they sack these wrestlers but yet expect them not to compete for 90 days

It's the pro wrestling equivalent to a footballer running down the last year of his deal/looking at other options/what club to sign with next when allowed.

Either way, in this context it's a bull**** clause no matter what way you look at it. Though didn't Brock Lesnar successfully challenge it when he originally left WWE and was ruled in his favour?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I dunno, it's a pretty sh1t thing to do but aren't we always giving out about WWE hording talent?

Joe aside there isn't one person released today who was going to do fantastically inside the WWE bubble, and will probably have... let's say minimal success elsewhere in most cases.

Like I get it, they've made a LOT of money this year. I just don't see how releasing lower tier talent who (Joe and Billie Kay aside) weren't even really on TV much, apart from being fired into the Andre The Giant Battle Royale makes them so terrible.

I think if it were Nia Jax, Natalya, Tamina released there wouldn't be this sort of visceral reaction.

Not defending WWE here, but they're doing what a lot here have actually wanted them to do for a while now, releasing talent instead of hording them.

Yeah, but citing budget cuts for the 2nd consecutive year as a way to let talent go, after a 2nd consecutive profitable year for the company? Odds on us being back here discussing this again this time next year, and with the WWE using the same lousy excuse to boot?

I mean, no other sporting organization in the world falls back on this practice. They either re-up contracts with players, sell them on, or just cut them completely.

Why not just honestly tell talent X, Y or Z - look we're letting you go, but we'll pay you for the next 90 days as a thank you, then we wish you well in whatever you do next after the 90 days are up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

ThePott wrote: »
    Joe was savage, a believable badass.
    Still one of my favourite moments was when he told Brock to look at him when he's speaking to him or we can settle this right now. Around 3.30 in the video below.
    Even in that segment where he went nose to nose with him.

That feud had a proper big fight feel, still think them not putting the belt on Joe at this time was a serious mistake.

Threats a part of wrestling. But you gotta look at the person who's making the threats. This fat son of a bitch, he tells all of us he's been world champion before, been in this business 15, 20 years and this fat son of a bitch is gonna trial us all out!.... HE'S FAT! I'M GONNA, I'LL MAKE HIM BLEED!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Lithium93_ wrote:
    Yeah, but citing budget cuts for the 2nd consecutive year as a way to let talent go, after a 2nd consecutive profitable year for the company? Odds on us being back here discussing this again this time next year, and with the WWE using the same lousy excuse to boot?

Sure it's a sh1tty way to release talent with reasoning that nobody really believes. You don't like to see anyone lose their job, but tbh there's a lot more to be upset at WWE over than a few talent releases imo.

The absolute state of their TV product being the main one, and that's with so called established stars.

Let's all be honest that we didn't sign up to the Network(or whatever we watched it on) for Mania season to see Tucker and Kalisto put on a classic at the showpiece :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I have no idea who tucker is or chelsea green

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

My only opinion is Samoa Joe is a great promo and AEW is a great promo company. I hope both wrestler and promoter put two and two together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,795 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Tucker was Otis's partner in Heavy Machinery. Chelsea got injured near enough to her main roster debut I think

Necro wrote: »
    Sure it's a sh1tty way to release talent with reasoning that nobody really believes. You don't like to see anyone lose their job, but tbh there's a lot more to be upset at WWE over than a few talent releases imo.

The absolute state of their TV product being the main one, and that's with so called established stars.

Let's all be honest that we didn't sign up to the Network(or whatever we watched it on) for Mania season to see Tucker and Kalisto put on a classic at the showpiece :pac:

Especially in a Global Pandemic, like c'mon guys...

Oh I was getting to their TV product - how is it, that a worldwide, publicly traded on the NYSE company employ a team of over 20 writers with all kinds of TV writing experience and yet for the life of them, they can't create coherent story lines with proper continuity to save their damned lives and.. Yeah short answer Vince McMahon.

Seriously it's an embarrassment that everything has to be approved by Vince, or rewritten to suit his constantly ever changing whims, sometimes even hours/minutes before show time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭ThePott

Threats a part of wrestling. But you gotta look at the person who's making the threats. This fat son of a bitch, he tells all of us he's been world champion before, been in this business 15, 20 years and this fat son of a bitch is gonna trial us all out!.... HE'S FAT! I'M GONNA, I'LL MAKE HIM BLEED!
    Gimme a F*$!in Mic!

4d5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Ah sure, Joe was never chosen to get over in WWE. He hit the glass ceiling. Should just go to AEW or Japan (both if he can broker that deal).

Mojo Rawley gone now.

Could be another few coming yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Surprised to see the Viking Raiders survived the axe. Personally, I think they're fantastic, but they've been used for goofy sh1t on the main roster and then disappeared after the injury.

Frankly, them and Walter are the only current WWE wrestlers id be excited to see on TNT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

roderick strong
    in alumni section on their website too, is
    he
    released or still just storyline?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

sonya deville
    in alumni too??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Roddy likely to be a cornerstone guy they'll build Evolve around I'd imagine (and that's the guess going around the Web) or it's just to sell the NXT storyline. They aren't getting rid of Roderick Strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Surprised to see the Viking Raiders survived the axe. Personally, I think they're fantastic, but they've been used for goofy sh1t on the main roster and then disappeared after the injury.

Frankly, them and Walter are the only current WWE wrestlers id be excited to see on TNT

Remember that War Raiders team who kicked ass in NJPW & ROH, winning both companies tag titles along the way? They were excellent, I have no desire to see these Viking Experience goofballs or whatever WWE have turned them into.

Advertisement