Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Hurling League 2021 discussion

Comments

formerlyET wrote: »
    I'd agree with that. But, something has to be tried.

Diving has to be penalised in a similar way.

Perhaps a ref is needed for both halves of the field. I know there might be inconsistencies between. But some refs really struggle to keep up with the pace of the game and who could blame them.

I'm not sure something has to be tried. the game hasn't been this even since the 90's. There's 5 or 6 sides in it who have decent chances of winning the All Ireland this year.

If you take physicality out of hurling, as your proposal will inevitably lead to, imo, you'll never be able to put it back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

I'm not sure something has to be tried. the game hasn't been this even since the 90's. There's 5 or 6 sides in it who have decent chances of winning the All Ireland this year.

If you take physicality out of hurling, as your proposal will inevitably lead to, imo, you'll never be able to put it back in.

Nobody is saying anything about taking the physicality out of hurling?

There's no physicality to the fouling we're talking about?

You've completely misunderstood the point.

What has fouling got to do with physicality?

Most of these fouls in the opposition half are pulling of the arm, dragging back, grabbing the hurl - no physicality to it. This is the kind of persistent fouling that avoids, in the opposition half back line that avoids cards as Sean Moran outlined.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pajoguy

I thinks thats it in a nutshell.... the game is too even for some now. They dont want all these contenders like limerick waterford galway wexford and antrim disrupting the dominance of the big 3... ok antrim was tongue in cheek....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I didn't say any of that. Are you alright?

I already took issue with that poster with regards to not reading, or not clearly following, posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,106 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Grats wrote: »
    I already took issue with that poster with regards to not reading, or not clearly following, posts.

Ye are both using language that indicates that hurling needs fixing or that the problems are new or recently developed.

That would clearly seem to me that ye thing hurling was once amazing but now has problems suddenly

• Advertisement

Grats wrote: »

Apparently, any discussion on hurling and it's flow, and strategic fouling means that people who are season ticket holders for club and inter county want no physicality in hurling, want diving in hurling, don't want hurling to be a competition, and think Limerick are the dirtiest team ever.
    Madness.
    You couldn't make it up?:pac:

Apparently, any discussion on hurling and it's flow, and strategic fouling means that people who are season ticket holders for club and inter county want no physicality in hurling, want diving in hurling, don't want hurling to be a competition, and think Limerick are the dirtiest team ever.
    Madness.
    You couldn't make it up?:pac:

Season ticket holder wow aren't you the true gael. Do you really think having a season ticket makes your false bitter opinion on Limerick valid.

Are you also trying to claim now that you didn't say Limerick foul more than any other team ever

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Season ticket holder wow aren't you the true gael. Do you really think having a season ticket makes your false bitter opinion on Limerick valid.

Are you also trying to claim now that you didn't say Limerick foul more than any other team ever

I quoted a researched article by an Irish Times Sports journalist as evidence. :)

A true gael? :pac:

I quoted a researched article by an Irish Times Sports journalist as evidence. :)

A true gael? :pac:

The article says Limerick had between 3 to 6 more fouls in 2020 and would probably have more than Waterford. He also says teams normally set out to have a low foul count but Limerick don't. He cannot know this and is guessing as to what Kiely and other managers are telling their teams behind closed doors

Hardly evidence that they foul more than any team ever as you claim.

But what would I know I don't have a season ticket

The article says Limerick had between 3 to 6 more fouls in 2020 and would probably have more than Waterford. He also says teams normally set out to have a low foul count but Limerick don't. He cannot know this and is guessing as to what Kiely and other managers are telling their teams behind closed doors

Hardly evidence that they foul more than any team ever as you claim.

But what would I know I don't have a season ticket

I actually feel sorry for you! :) Keep 'em them posts coming, boss.

• Advertisement

I actually feel sorry for you! :) Keep 'em them posts coming, boss.

Zero points to make again

Zero points to make again

You said it. :) Well done. You've successfully made zero points. Unlike Limerick.

Is there any mods on this thing?
    Aren't we supposed to make an argument, back it up with evidence? And not attack the poster? Isn't that the gist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Couple of interesting points from Michael Verney in his weekend preview with Shane Stapleton, this terrible disadvantage rule is not set in stone for championship, a management committee of something of the type has to power to change this if required, 1A and 1B likely to redrawn after this year so hopefully the imbalance of 1 Munster and 1 Leinster championship dominated division can be eradicated.

Couple of interesting points from Michael Verney in his weekend preview with Shane Stapleton, this terrible disadvantage rule is not set in stone for championship, a management committee of something of the type has to power to change this if required, 1A and 1B likely to redrawn after this year so hopefully the imbalance of 1 Munster and 1 Leinster championship dominated division can be eradicated.

I'm not a fan of having an almost identical league and championship structure but seeing as it's here for now they should seed it so it's split evenly with no more than 3 Munster per group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

This fella is blinded by some fantasy about amazing skillful honest pure hurling from back in the good old days.

/QUOTE]

You are the only one who keeping mentioning "the old days" or "the good old days". Perhaps you are trying to avoid too much emphasis on the present day which is your own business but why accuse everyone else of doing what you're at yourself? (question is rhetorical)

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭supernova5

Has anyone purchased the Domestic Pass in GAAGO?

I haven't used GAAGO before

65 games for 25 euro, that's a savings of 300 euro over purchasing individual games

Is this too good to be true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

[QUOTE=cantwbr1;117152145

WRT persistent/cynical fouling, I don’t think Lk are any worse than any other team but they are analysed more.
    Hopefully the new rules will make cynical fouling less attractive without removing the physicality[/QUOTE]

The Irish Times article disproves this surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

supernova5 wrote: »
    Has anyone purchased the Domestic Pass in GAAGO?

I haven't used GAAGO before

65 games for 25 euro, that's a savings of 300 euro over purchasing individual games

Is this too good to be true?

Not too good to be true. That's the deal.

Every game in hurling and football thats not on telly will be available to watch live. Fantastic value and I'm really considering just getting it for the sake of it in case I watch more games than I've got planned

dobman88 wrote: »
    Not too good to be true. That's the deal.

Every game in hurling and football thats not on telly will be available to watch live. Fantastic value and I'm really considering just getting it for the sake of it in case I watch more games than I've got planned

Hmm, interesting... that's good to know, just might do the same myself

Nobody is saying anything about taking the physicality out of hurling?

There's no physicality to the fouling we're talking about?

You've completely misunderstood the point.

What has fouling got to do with physicality?

Most of these fouls in the opposition half are pulling of the arm, dragging back, grabbing the hurl - no physicality to it. This is the kind of persistent fouling that avoids, in the opposition half back line that avoids cards as Sean Moran outlined.

What you are suggesting is to favour the man in possession over the tackler, that is always going to eliminate physicality, whether you start off from there or not, imo, as it's easier for the man in possession to dive on contact etc. As it is, we have the advantage rule being re-written to ensure a more stop/start game.

I don't see either change as necessarily good for the game.

• Advertisement

supernova5 wrote: »
    Hmm, interesting... that's good to know, just might do the same myself
    got it too, for example this weekend you've access to every football game not on Eir or TG4 and every division 1 hurling game in that bracket too. Obviously alot of them clash, doesn't include division 2A downwards for the hurling.

I'm not a fan of having an almost identical league and championship structure but seeing as it's here for now they should seed it so it's split evenly with no more than 3 Munster per group
    Even if they moved Kilkenny or Wexford from 1B to 1A and a Munster team from 1A to 1B that would even improve it alot.

What you are suggesting is to favour the man in possession over the tackler, that is always going to eliminate physicality, whether you start off from there or not, imo, as it's easier for the man in possession to dive on contact etc. As it is, we have the advantage rule being re-written to ensure a more stop/start game.

I don't see either change as necessarily good for the game.

I'm not suggesting that at all. I'm suggesting that persistent, strategic fouling, like outlined in the IT article, be carded.

Tackle away - there are tackle rules there. I'm all for the tackle.

All this pulling and dragging, grabbing the loose arm, pulling and dragging down, anything rather than let a side play out from the back or break the lines should be carded. Fouls on backs playing out are not carded the way a forward foul is - that has to change.

I'm not suggesting that at all. I'm suggesting that persistent, strategic fouling, like outlined in the IT article, be carded.

Tackle away - there are tackle rules there. I'm all for the tackle.

All this pulling and dragging, grabbing the loose arm, pulling and dragging down, anything rather than let a side play out from the back or break the lines should be carded. Fouls on backs playing out are not carded the way a forward foul is - that has to change.

Out of curiosity, why do you think teams are unable to use those frees to their advantage?

got it too, for example this weekend you've access to every football game not on Eir or TG4 and every division 1 hurling game in that bracket too. Obviously alot of them clash, doesn't include division 2A downwards for the hurling.

yea that's the main disadvantage, most of them clash, would need a few different devices and windows opened at the same time but only got 2 eyes at the end of the day

Out of curiosity, why do you think teams are unable to use those frees to their advantage?

Slows down the play, gives opposition a chance to reset and mark up - can't get forwards onto ball in space in play.

It sets a stop start motion to the play - no flow - no long passages of play. This is the big one - I'm not saying players can't get anything going off a free - but you can't get your forwards into a game if the ball is not in play - if defenders are not allowed break lines and deliver ball - nothing can be set up - and a forward run can't be found with a delivery. That's why there's strategic fouling happening in the backs.

Forward play is built around that kind of play - it's much harder to do off a free - when everybody has got a chance to reset and knows where the ball is coming from.

Slows down the play, gives opposition a chance to reset and mark up - can't get forwards onto ball in space in play.

It sets a stop start motion to the play - no flow - no long passages of play. This is the big one - I'm not saying players can't get anything going off a free - but you can't get your forwards into a game if the ball is not in play - if defenders are not allowed break lines and deliver ball - nothing can be set up - and a forward run can't be found with a delivery. That's why there's strategic fouling happening in the backs.

Forward play is built around that kind of play - it's much harder to do off a free - when everybody has got a chance to reset and knows where the ball is coming from.

seems strange the top hurling coaches in the country can't counteract such a simple tactic or use that possession effectively, imo.

seems strange the top hurling coaches in the country can't counteract such a simple tactic or use that possession effectively, imo.

It's out of their hands when it's fouling and not skill that's rewarded. You've seen the figures.

I'd love to know how many times a Waterford man was pulled down in the last twenty mins of that Final last year. It was a hell of a lot. It was cringe worthy to watch.

But it's not about how many frees you give away, but where.

It's out of their hands when it's fouling and not skill that's rewarded. You've seen the figures.

I'd love to know how many times a Waterford man was pulled down in the last twenty mins of that Final last year. It was a hell of a lot. It was cringe worthy to watch.

Tbh, that final was lost when Waterford didn't take their first half goal chances. Waterford didn't lose due to cynical fouling imo. Anyhow, every team will have plans for when frees are awarded in certain parts of the pitch, it's no one else's fault if they can't maximise on that possession. Hell, according to the Irish Times is was obvious what Limerick would do, it's Waterford's fault not to adjust accordingly.

• Advertisement

That final was pretty much over with 20 minutes to go and Limerick were 1o points up and cruising.
    I just watched the 50th to 55th minute out of curiosity and the 2 biggest moments were a Limerick player absolutely cleaned out in a dangerous tackle which wasnt called and ended in a Waterford point and a Waterford player fouling a Limerick player through on goal.

That final was pretty much over with 20 minutes to go and Limerick were 1o points up and cruising.
    I just watched the 50th to 55th minute out of curiosity and the 2 biggest moments were a Limerick player absolutely cleaned out in a dangerous tackle which wasnt called and ended in a Waterford point and a Waterford player fouling a Limerick player through on goal.

After 50 mins, iirc, Limerick had scored 19 points from play. The idea they won due to cynical play is misguided, tbf.

I've no idea what happened Waterford in the final, especially since they ran Limerick close in the Munster final but the idea they were unable to deal with Limerick's cynicism covers up a bad performance from them, imo.

After 50 mins, iirc, Limerick had scored 19 points from play. The idea they won due to cynical play is misguided, tbf.

I've no idea what happened Waterford in the final, especially since they ran Limerick close in the Munster final but the idea they were unable to deal with Limerick's cynicism covers up a bad performance from them, imo.

Why did we have the proposals we have going to congress?
    Why is Sean Moran reporting on this?
    Because it's an issue.
    You have your mind made up. That's fair enough. You have no issue with it.
    I think it will be a bigger issue come the championship because more teams will be doing it.
    If they're not, happy days.
    But I don't want to watch a freefest. I want refs dealing with persistent fouling.
    If you didn't see persistent fouling in the all-ireland or Limericks games, I don't know what to tell you.
    The thinking that anyone won or lost due to cynical play is misguided. That's not the point. The point is the game.
    That final was like watching paint dry. A game based on cynicism and persistent fouling in opposition halves. Have you not seen the way football has gone?
    This is about the direction of the game.
    It was the third All-Ireland final in history in which neither team scored a goal.

Best of luck to James Barry in his recovery from testicular cancer - always check yourselves :

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40288514.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Why did we have the proposals we have going to congress?
    Why is Sean Moran reporting on this?
    Because it's an issue.
    You have your mind made up. That's fair enough. You have no issue with it.
    I think it will be a bigger issue come the championship because more teams will be doing it.
    If they're not, happy days.
    But I don't want to watch a freefest. I want refs dealing with persistent fouling.
    If you didn't see persistent fouling in the all-ireland or Limericks games, I don't know what to tell you.
    The thinking that anyone won or lost due to cynical play is misguided. That's not the point. The point is the game.
    That final was like watching paint dry. A game based on cynicism and persistent fouling in opposition halves. Have you not seen the way football has gone?
    This is about the direction of the game.
    It was the third All-Ireland final in history in which neither team scored a goal.
    2027429_2_articleinline_1949306.jpg
    inpho-01563254-1024x693.jpg
    skysports-tipperary-limerick_5158093.jpg?20201101165705
    0016b2eb-500.jpg
    You only see what you want to see!

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    You only see what you want to see!

It was a photograph of someone grabbing a hurl. You probably didn't see that :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Keep up the childish games and repeating me. Very mature :)

How's the PS5?

• Advertisement

It was a photograph of someone grabbing a hurl. You probably didn't see that :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Keep up the childish games and repeating me. Very mature :)

How's the PS5?

Better get on to Sean Moran and get him to look into this. Whatever about Limericks football tackling Tipp seem to be employing rugby tackling by the look of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

As a poster said, whichever team is on top and successful will be the focus of criticism and abuse. It's Limericks turn right now.

The evidence over the last few years would suggest that persistent and strategic fouling is part of Limericks gamelan. While John Kiely didn't invent it, he's fine tuning it to put it mildly.

Go back to the 2019 Final and watch the first half for persistent fouling. It wouldn't be the first time the tactic was used as part of the Tipp game plan in recent years. The problem then, as it is now, is that refs didn't deal with it. Nor were they implementing the advantage rule correctly due to persistent fouling. It's little wonder that the change to the advantage rule, and indeed the black card, was introduced.

Refs should have used the cards but coaching is the culprit.

To reiterate, success brings criticism, the team on top will be the focus.

Shane Dowling takes two Sean Moran articles and uses them against Moran on RTE website this morning. He must have been reading boards yesterday haha

He takes Sean Moran's researched article about Limerick fouling in the oppositions half and uses it to suggest that teams will use the new rule to do that like it's some new development in the game hahaha

He obviously said this to some RTE hack over the phone and someone has written it up for him.

All because Sean Moran called him chickin licken. Sure, Dowling lives in Chicken Hut.

But seriously Dowling won't last long in this game at that. He might get away with it on limerick FM. But get your own ideas...

Moran response should be good.

Moran's article last year ( https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/gaa-statistics-it-s-not-how-many-frees-limerick-concede-against-waterford-but-where-1.4432281 ):

Strategic fouling allows teams to slow down the transition from defence to attack, which in turn sets the game pace to their liking, gives them time to set up, and lays down a physical marker. Any turnover in the opposition’s defence is a scoring chance for Limerick, while any free conceded is unlikely to be in range for a point at the other end.

Tackling technique
    These frees Limerick are giving away are strategic in terms of the areas where they are pressing, but the actual fouling is as much to do with their tackling technique.

The Munster champions tackle like a football team, with the first man making contact looking to put their opponent back on his heels, allowing the rest of the pack to surround and force a turnover. Limerick can only deploy this approach because most teams try to work the ball short out of their backline, and this is when they target them.

Dowling's "article" this morning ( https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0513/1221370-call-me-chicken-licken-but-shambolic-rule-ruining-game/ ):
    Do you know what is going to happen now? Teams are going to use it as a tactic to get their forwards to foul teams in their full-back or half-back line. Why? Because then they can’t break at pace, they can’t play the ball through the lines, and they can’t create the overlap.

Give away a free back there, it won’t be scoreable, or very few will be, teams can retreat and close off space to the forward line and it becomes a 50/50 all of a sudden. Obviously, teams are going to try tackle first and win back possession, but if a player breaks them... watch this space, they will pull a jersey, trip someone, etc.

Obviously, the further up the field a player gets, the less likely teams are to foul as they will be in scoring positions.

Shane Dowling takes two Sean Moran articles and uses them against Moran on RTE website this morning. He must have been reading boards yesterday haha

He takes Sean Moran's researched article about Limerick fouling in the oppositions half and uses it to suggest that teams will use the new rule to do that like it's some new development in the game hahaha

He obviously said this to some RTE hack over the phone and someone has written it up for him.

All because Sean Moran called him chickin licken. Sure, Dowling lives in Chicken Hut.

But seriously Dowling won't last long in this game at that. He might get away with it on limerick FM. But get your own ideas...

Moran response should be good.

Moran's article last year ( https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/gaa-statistics-it-s-not-how-many-frees-limerick-concede-against-waterford-but-where-1.4432281 ):

Strategic fouling allows teams to slow down the transition from defence to attack, which in turn sets the game pace to their liking, gives them time to set up, and lays down a physical marker. Any turnover in the opposition’s defence is a scoring chance for Limerick, while any free conceded is unlikely to be in range for a point at the other end.

Tackling technique
    These frees Limerick are giving away are strategic in terms of the areas where they are pressing, but the actual fouling is as much to do with their tackling technique.

The Munster champions tackle like a football team, with the first man making contact looking to put their opponent back on his heels, allowing the rest of the pack to surround and force a turnover. Limerick can only deploy this approach because most teams try to work the ball short out of their backline, and this is when they target them.

Dowling's "article" this morning ( https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0513/1221370-call-me-chicken-licken-but-shambolic-rule-ruining-game/ ):
    Do you know what is going to happen now? Teams are going to use it as a tactic to get their forwards to foul teams in their full-back or half-back line. Why? Because then they can’t break at pace, they can’t play the ball through the lines, and they can’t create the overlap.

Give away a free back there, it won’t be scoreable, or very few will be, teams can retreat and close off space to the forward line and it becomes a 50/50 all of a sudden. Obviously, teams are going to try tackle first and win back possession, but if a player breaks them... watch this space, they will pull a jersey, trip someone, etc.

Obviously, the further up the field a player gets, the less likely teams are to foul as they will be in scoring positions.

So so bitter.
    My favourite is how Moran has an article but Dowling has an "article"
    Moran gets to be a journalist but then you insinuate that Dowling cant write his own "article" so needs a "hack"

He has no problem calling frees he just wants a few seconds more advantage given before the whistle is blown

"I outlined why I believe the advantage rule will not work. I showed Conor Boylan putting a ball over the bar, and the play being called back for a free. What I didn’t show, and I should have, was where the free ended up going. Wide is the answer"

"So what’s my point? What looked wrong over the last few years? The cynical fouling did. Itmay need tweaks along the way, but it’s a good start! And it was wrong. What didn’t look wrong? The previous advantage rule. So why change it?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

TJ getting the weekend off I see and eoin Murphy getting a break too

• Advertisement

big_drive wrote: »
    TJ getting the weekend off I see and eoin Murphy getting a break too
    They'll probably return for Wexford the following week, bad news for my fantasy hurling team, I'll have Callum Lyons not playing too.

And yet you are calling for a free fest by wanting every contact scrutinised.

There has been persistent fouling in hurling since I've been watching it, and presumably before that too. As I pointed out, the greatest side of the modern (and probably any) era, Kilkenny were adept at it too. It's probably trite and "old school" to say it but physicality and fouling go hand in hand in hurling, whether purists want to accept that or not.

Personally I draw a distinction between "foul" play and "dirty" play. This Limerick side is nowhere near as dirty as sides that have gone before, imo.

And yet you are calling for a free fest by wanting every contact scrutinised.

There has been persistent fouling in hurling since I've been watching it, and presumably before that too. As I pointed out, the greatest side of the modern (and probably any) era, Kilkenny were adept at it too. It's probably trite and "old school" to say it but physicality and fouling go hand in hand in hurling, whether purists want to accept that or not.

Personally I draw a distinction between "foul" play and "dirty" play. This Limerick side is nowhere near as dirty as sides that have gone before, imo.
    I see very little to compare this Limerick side with that Kilkenny team.

Kilkenny did not persistently foul. They were not a heavily structured or over tactical side. Watch the games.

Comparing Limerick with Kilkenny is like comparing chalk with cheese. Those two sides are nothing like each other. I see no limerick players like DJ Carey Tommy Walsh, Henry Shefflin, or TJ Reid. You're talking about some of the most forwarded-minded players to play the game. Those teams were goals, goals, goals.

Who used the word dirty? That's your word choice.
    I'm not asking for a freefest. I said the opposite. Read what I wrote.

If you give a new rule a chance to develop rather than judge it after one game...it might have a chance and it can certainly be adapted or changed. It's pretty frequent in all games, new rules and adaptation. There's not a game that doesn't have new rule or adaptations to rules.

Don't agree with those points about Kilkenny. Kilkenny played to the edge like most sides - but they didn't just foul teams in their own half repeatedly to stem flow of a game and force constant restarts. They played no holds barred forward-minded hurling. They hurled teams. They dropped back wing backs for puck outs at times but they also bombed forward.

If you penalise persistent fouling accordingly, it will stamp persistent fouling out. If you penalise dragging down, it will stamp it out. If people start picking up cards they'll stop fouling defenders coming out with the ball so readily.

That's part of what the league is as a dress rehearsal for championship. Letting players know what's acceptable on the field and not. Especially with new rules.

I get you don't you agree. Move on. I can't agree with any of those points about kilkenny or what you're saying I've said. Completely wrong.

I see very little to compare this Limerick side with that Kilkenny team.

Kilkenny did not persistently foul. They were not a heavily structured or over tactical side. Watch the games.

Comparing Limerick with Kilkenny is like comparing chalk with cheese. Those two sides are nothing like each other. I see no limerick players like DJ Carey Tommy Walsh, Henry Shefflin, or TJ Reid. You're talking about some of the most forwarded-minded players to play the game. Those teams were goals, goals, goals.

Who used the word dirty? That's your word choice.
    I'm not asking for a freefest. I said the opposite. Read what I wrote.

If you give a new rule a chance to develop rather than judge it after one game...it might have a chance and it can certainly be adapted or changed. It's pretty frequent in all games, new rules and adaptation. There's not a game that doesn't have new rule or adaptations to rules.

Don't agree with those points about Kilkenny. Kilkenny played to the edge like most sides - but they didn't just foul teams in their own half repeatedly to stem flow of a game and force constant restarts. They played no holds barred forward-minded hurling. They hurled teams. They dropped back wing backs for puck outs at times but they also bombed forward.

If you penalise persistent fouling accordingly, it will stamp persistent fouling out. If you penalise dragging down, it will stamp it out. If people start picking up cards they'll stop fouling defenders coming out with the ball so readily.

I get you don't you agree. Move on. I can't agree with any of those points about kilkenny or what you're saying I've said. Completely wrong.

Go away and read Tyrell's book and see if you still think Kilkenny weren't every bit as cynical as any other team. There's literally pages and pages about how they worked out how to push refs as far as they could. Their incredible skills hid a really, really cynical edge. And it was a collective decision, it wasn't just one or two lads. Tyrell literally revels in it.

You can probably find the footage of Brennan laughing about meeting Hickey's mother in Limerick years after the 2007 final and the foul on Hickey being brought up (in a loan application to a credit union, iirc). Hickey is standing beside him in the footage and has to laugh along but that piece of play was the dirtiest thing i've ever seen on a pitch in a final. If I did the same to you on the street you'd rightly call the Gardaí on me.

And again, none of the above is to knock Tyrell, Brennan or Kilkenny in general, they went for it and they won it but spare me the nonsense organised cynicism is only a new thing.

Limerick must be great altogether. They outscore teams by getting less frees and not attacking

Limerick must be great altogether. They outscore teams by getting less frees and not attacking

It's a weird one. A Clare mate of mine wants to make the sliotar heavier to stop Hegarty and others scoring from way out. I've argued (unsuccessfully) it's a serious skill in itself, but I can see the logic behind the suggestion tbh. Wonder how much heavier it would have to be to make a difference?

It's a weird one. A Clare mate of mine wants to make the sliotar heavier to stop Hegarty and others scoring from way out. I've argued (unsuccessfully) it's a serious skill in itself, but I can see the logic behind the suggestion tbh. Wonder how much heavier it would have to be to make a difference?

I have read that it's not weight that is the big problem but more how they are made now

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I have read that it's not weight that is the big problem but more how they are made now

Is.there a case to be made for limiting the size of.the bas of the hurl. ...modern outfield players have hurls that look like goalies hurls from 20 years ago.. my children are 12 and have a bas like an adult hurl..
    To be fair the modern intercounty hurler probably has a huge amount of.muscle and strength compared to previous men too

Is.there a case to be made for limiting the size of.the bas of the hurl. ...modern outfield players have hurls that look like goalies hurls from 20 years ago.. my children are 12 and have a bas like an adult hurl..
    To be fair the modern intercounty hurler probably has a huge amount of.muscle and strength compared to previous men too

It's the player is the real difference. Fitness levels are crazy compared to 10 years ago even

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

It's the player is the real difference. Fitness levels are crazy compared to 10 years ago even
    It would be interesting to compare inter county players average height and weight compared to say 20 years ago!
    And throw in a lean muscle mass comparison also id say the difference is crazy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement