Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you see the state of snooker in RoI?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭B2021M

Anyone know why the Gibraltar event is played over so few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Would you regard sensible scheduling that allows players time to rest and prepare properly for a match as "pampering"? Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Everbodys entitled to their opinion, but no question these guys are being pampered anyway. Snookers a fairly brutal game mentally, as we can all agree, and while both Leone and Liam Davies are both undoubted talents, it was clear they were both mentally shot for the 16s on Friday. These guys are 15/16 years of age, it's an awful lot to ask of them at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

Simple fact is that if you enter three events which are scheduled to be played over a couple of days and you’re a decent player you should be prepared to be playing literally non stop. That’s just the way it is.

If you don’t get out of your qualifying groups then you’ll have a fairly easy week then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

But if the people playing 3 events had 'sensible scheduling' and time to rest, then the people playing one event would have been left hanging around with unusually long gaps between matches - it had to be one or the other this week.

I wondered at the time if it was a trial run - playing a full 128 player Best of 7 in just three days might be quite attractive for everyone (organisers/broadcasters/players) as it cuts a lot of expenses down, makes ticket sales easier, fits a broadcasting slot etc. Be interesting to see if they have similar formats next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭B2021M

I think it has always been played over a shorter period? Maybe not three days but not a full week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think you are right, it has always been ran off fast but I've a vague memory of it being 4 days originally.

Though the 2020 edition (mid March, so might have been the last event in the entire sports world pre-pandemic) was also done as three days. So maybe it's always been like that.

Gibraltar Open Snooker 2020 Draw, Live Scores and Tournament Schedule - livesnooker.com

People are talking about pro ams and minor pro ranking events. But these are the European Championships, probably the pinnacle of the season for a lot of the junior and amateur players playing there. A guy having to play a sf, a group match, then a final in rapid succession might be fine on a pro am Sunday in Telford or somewhere, but for one of the world's premier amateur/junior events, i personally don't believe that's great. Like i said earlier, these were rescheduled championships so that has to be taken into account, but it's a sport where you get precocious teenagers as a rule so you'll always have huge overlap between the events scheduling them concurrently is inevitably going to lead to tough breaks for some players and, on this occasion, it was Leone who got unlucky. Not that he himself made excuses or complained about it, that's just my take on it.

And Ben Mertens,whom Leone beat in the 18s sf, has swept into the 21s final, playing great stuff and one step away from his pro tour card. Always wondered about him under pressure, but lovely player to watch and would like to see him make it today.

I mentioned pro ams as an example and incidentally a lot of the players in said pro ams where juniors and I’m not sure where you got Telford on a Sunday from but that’s irrelevant. The fact is the governing bodies are literally shoe horning as many players as possible into these tournaments over a small number of days hence the amount of matches.

I doubt we would hear much about tiredness etc from the winners circle. Ben Mertens and Liam Davies to name but two won’t be bothered too much about it !

• Advertisement

I mentioned Telford as an example. But pro ams are certainly irrelevant, that much is certain anyway.

And as Liam Davies wasn't the one who had a 21s match sandwiched between his sf and final, I'm not sure what he would be complaining about tbh. I mean, all I've really said here is that Leone was unfortunate in the way the schedule fell for him, whether it ultimately made any material difference or not, and maybe the circumstances of these rearranged championships had something to do with it. I don't know that. But as a general rule, I do not believe that is something that should happen at a major championship, a blue riband junior and amateur event. That's not about "pampering", it's common sense. If you were watching Leone and Davies in the 16s on Friday, you'll have seen how empty they were, both losing to vastly inferior opponents. That made a virtual mockery of that event imv. After all, the purpose of a major championship is to establish the true pecking order, not present kids with an extreme endurance test. Even with the best scheduling, competing multi events will be tough, but the way this was set up made it well nigh impossible and I sincerely hope not to see a repeat next year.

Anyway, on a happier note, here's a taster of what this kid can do for anyone unfamiliar. 2-2 in a European sf and comes to the table 45 points behind. Look at the position of the balls and ask yourself how many points you think he'll make.

Losing to vastly inferior opponents ? They lost whether it’s inferior or superior they both lost. How many hours of practice to you think Davies and Crowley have played in the last few weeks, add to that the Q School, maybe that’s what ‘fatigued’ them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Lovely break. Almost John Higgins esque if he got the double

Absolutely! Lovely shot from pink to canon out the green.

Well done Ben Mertens, romps to victory and gets his tour card. Remember him beating Aaron Hill in an u/16 world championship and thinking he might be a bit special. Certainly very pleasing to watch anyway and will be an addition to the circuit. Little boost for Leone too, i would say!

Totally, those 5 matches Leone played over those 2 and a half weeks in Sheffield must have been a real killer. The 5 matches he played the day before the 16s event were neither here nor there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I may be mistaken but I vaguely recall you said something along the lines that Mertens although he scored heavy he wasn’t up to grinding frames out ? I could be wrong ?

Anyway I’m looking forward to watching Mertens on the tour next season

Ah yeah, you have me there alright, a gotcha. His talent was never in question but I've seen him lose a lot of tight matches over the past 2-3 years, including to Aaron and most recently, Leone, that I always had that doubt in my mind about it. But, hey, maybe I was wrong. It wouldn't even be the first time today ;-)

• Advertisement

Ah I wasn’t out to catch you out you’re normally spot on with the game and the players. All in it’s great to see some new talent emerging and hopefully will lead to some serious competition in the future to the conveyor belt of talent we’ve been seeing from the Far East over the last several seasons.

Ha, no worries, it's just harmless banter. But i definitely confess to harbouring a deep and long-standing prejudice against "pure potters" like Mertens and am still recovering from Zhao Xintongs breakthrough after 5 years relentlessly rubbishing the hype! But, for sure, i do cautiously think there is a good crop of players coming through that will deliver on their potential. They all seem so serious and dedicated, as you need to be. I only hope I have enough years left to see Matvei Lagondzinschii crowned world champion, succeeding Aaron Hill and Leone Crowley in lifting the coveted trophy!

The seniors taking centre stage at the moment and good showing from the Irish crew, all 4 making the knock out stages. Alas, John O'Sullivan and John Farrell ran into each other and then O'Sullivan ran into the gloved Dazzler Morgan and was undone by probably the clear tournament favourite. Mark Tuite still standing and into the quarters so great show from him.

And good match in the mens, former pro Eden Sharav just scraping home 3-2 against the 11 year old Matvei Lagondzinschii from Ukraine. Fck, i hate to hype 11 year olds (actually looks 8) but this kid simply has me mesmerised and not ruling out him qualifying for KO stages just yet!

David Cassidy goes out 0-4 to Ben Mertens in last 32 and that's it for home contingent in the men's competition. Noel Landers lost 2-4 against a German opponent last night after leading 2-0 but I thought he played some nice snooker over past couple of days, definite potential there if he keeps working and improving. The Mertens train just keeps rolling along and interesting match up with Robbie McGuigan up next for him.

Robbie had his chances but Mertens was too good and has marched on to sf. Interesting coda to Mertens performances here is that, by my reckoning, the Belgian has played 23 matches during these championships and won 22 of them. The one he lost was to Leone Crowley, of course, and slightly frustrating to remember Ross Bulman was leading 3-1 in their u-21 encounter last week but just couldn't get the job done. I think they can both take some small encouragement from that.

Advertisement