Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Oh good Jasus.

Maeve Higgins.

Radio off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

"Just because you vote for a black man doesn't mean that your not racist".

Oh just get out of the f**king studio, you obviously don't have a clue what you're talking about. Happy enough to throw out the "only racists voted for Trump" cos it's popular to hate Trump in her profession, but can't justify it when she has to explain herself. If you want to do the SJW bit, why don't you ask Mary Robinson about how that poor girl is getting on in Dubai?

Neil Degrasse Tyson - Are you going to ask her any questions about his recent problems?

Oh good Jasus.

Maeve Higgins.

Radio off

Is that who it is? Gawd. I like to stick Marian on in the background the odd Saturday. Will be turning it off this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

she sounds like a 14 year old air schoolgirl... grow up , i'd say she's the unfunniest comedian ever with an audience full of hipsters there because they feel they should be rather than actually finding her funny .

Half-laughing at (the very funny) Maeve Higgins

But also at the idea of people fuming at a funny woman chatting to another woman on the radio.

She's made a pretty successful, high profile career for herself in US comedy, I don't think everyone's just pretending to like her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

What an insufferable woman, if you wanted to play a fictional parody of SJW bores, she would be right on the money

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    What an insufferable woman, if you wanted to play a fictional parody of SJW bores, she would be right on the money
    ever Marion , the figurehead of feminism in this country clearly cant stand her.

how long before Marion DOESNT mention the Mueller report Trump exoneration ?.... probably the whole weekend .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

She's made a pretty successful, high profile career for herself in US comedy, I don't think everyone's just pretending to like her.

*cough* Donald Trump *cough*

• Advertisement

Half-laughing at (the very funny) Maeve Higgins

But also at the idea of people fuming at a funny woman chatting to another woman on the radio.

I think she's an awful dose and it has nothing to do with her political views.

I'd like to hear a bit more from Sammy Leslie. She was on the program previous to Marian.

I think she's an awful dose and it has nothing to do with her political views.
    I definitely see how people wouldn't be crazy about her style of comedy, just like I don't quite get the appeal of, say, Jimmy Carr or Jack Dee.

However, I think there's also something beyond mere diffeence in taste which so cajoles and irks a lot of people. Few things in light entertainment provoke such angry responses as a female comedian - Sarah Millican, Amy Schumer, Higgins, Deirdre O'Kane all get dog's abuse (admittedly, the last example is more understandable than others).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Oops69 wrote: »
    how long before Marion DOESNT mention the Mueller report Trump exoneration ?.... probably the whole weekend .

Tubridy said yesterday that he was "effectively" exonerated.

when are you going to actually talk about the feckin plants rather than yourself , Diarmuid ?

I definitely see how people wouldn't be crazy about her style of comedy, just like I don't quite get the appeal of, say, Jimmy Carr or Jack Dee.

However, I think there's also something beyond mere diffeence in taste which so cajoles and irks a lot of people. Few things in light entertainment provoke such angry responses as a female comedian - Sarah Millican, Amy Schumer, Higgins, Deirdre O'Kane all get dog's abuse (admittedly, the last example is more understandable than others).

Yes I have heard of that before and it is something which is odd to say the least. I know next to nothing about comedians so can't even comment on the ones you mentioned. I just got a strong sense of "me me look at me aren't I great" off Maeve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I like Amy schumer and loved Joan rivers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

she sounds like a 14 year old air schoolgirl... grow up , i'd say she's the unfunniest comedian ever with an audience full of hipsters there because they feel they should be rather than actually finding her funny .

Fair play to her for making a career for herself but the repeated "Cool, yea" is very irritating ... she needs to extend her vocabulary somewhat.:cool:

However, I'd rather listen to her that the painful, but extremly well got, Diarmuid Gavin. Jesus, he's a massive pain the bum ... another very concerned environmentalist busy clocking up the air miles. :rolleyes:

Dawn French, victoria Wood ,Joan rivers , Theres plenty of great female comedians and plenty of ****e ones ,its just there aren't that many female comedians and when one or two of the crap ones are criticised the ultra - feminists get on their high horse and consider it complete misogny etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

She'd give an Aspro a headache.

Jennifer Saunders is another. They don't make them like they used to.

• Advertisement

Jaysus, you wouldn't want to make a table quiz team out of today's guests would you.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Someone realised that Gavin was going to get RTÉ sued with his comment about Monsanto ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I find most comedians a bit tiresome to listen to in interviews (shoehorning stand-up material into a conversation rarely works), but I've always found Maeve Higgins excellent on stage. I genuinely think anyone who doesn't find her funny is just pretending to not find her funny because... I don't know... I'm the sort of utter imbecile who can't fathom why another person might dislike stuff that I like.

Dawn French, victoria Wood ,Joan rivers , Theres plenty of great female comedians and plenty of ****e ones ,its just there aren't that many female comedians and when one or two of the crap ones are criticised the ultra - feminists get on their high horse and consider it complete misogny etc. etc.
    Two of those comedians are dead, and one hasn't done much (if any) high-profile comedy in a decade.

What about all the current generation of female comedians on the scene? Amy Schumer, Sarah Silverman, Maeve Higgins, Tina Fey, Michelle Wolf, Sarah Millican -- do you seriously think they get the same kind of abuse as Jimmy Carr or Jimmy Kimmell, for making similar jokes (at times political)?

It's all very well reminiscing about the good old days and Phyllis Diller or Joan Rivers, but what female comedian -- currently active -- doesn't get a disproportionate amount of online abuse?

Jo Brand may be one exception, perhaps the one that breaks the rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Comedians are not funny anymore. IMO, whatever the gender.

They try too hard I think to be pc and non pc and who fkn cares anymore. We have seen it all I think.

They try too hard I think to be pc and non pc and who fkn cares anymore. We have seen it all I think.
    Amy Schumer, PC? The last time I heard a joke of hers it was about mother-son incest.

Sarah Silverman is well known for abortion jokes.

Maeve Higgins has gotten in trouble in the past for making fun of service dogs.

A person isn't a SJW just because they think racism is A Bad Idea.

Lets face it, guys make these jokes all the time, as well as political jokes. The vitriol they get is pretty odd.

Amy Schumer, PC? The last time I heard a joke of hers it was about mother-son incest.

Sarah Silverman is well known for abortion jokes.

A person isn't a SJW just because they think racism is A Bad Idea.

Lets face it, guys make these jokes all the time, as well as political jokes. The vitriol they get is pretty odd.

They might'nt be PC, but clearly they're doing it in an un-funny way.... really get over that fact that the current crop of female comedians are not particularly good .. that does'nt mean alll female comedian were never or are never going to be any good forever ... so sensitive !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Maybe it's that real life has become so God dam farcical that it has out comedied the comedians :D

I remember an episode of Fraiser. Marty Crane had his dog Eddie in the cafe, and the waitress said to him "I'm sorry sir no dogs allowed". So Marty pretends to be blind (the inference being that Eddie is a service dog) and waitress apologies and walks away. So I would think that Maeve Higgins only offence is that she has stolen this joke, not that she has actually taken her dog on a plane under false pretenses.

However, having heard her on the show today, I think it might actually be a good idea for Maeve Higgins to have a service dog with her, so that the animal could stop her from talking the next time she feels that the nation needs to hear her "Ann and Barry" level synopsis of modern politics.

Good man Dermot, a man who was certainly on top of things in his department when he was Minister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭strawdog

Starting to suspect Marian is friends with Delaney. Very defensive of criticism panel are making about him

strawdog wrote: »
    Starting to suspect Marian is friends with Delaney. Very defensive of criticism panel are making about him

She can’t bring herself to criticize anyone from the golden circle. It’s like the mafia.

She can’t bring herself to criticize anyone from the golden circle. It’s like the mafia.

There you go lads, an old pal.

A Europhile? On RTE? Why, I never.

RTE must have a phone book full of bleeding hearts that they can ring up at the drop of a hat. What you call populist is people DEMOCRATICALLY voting for people to run their country. Why do RTE allow this point to be overlooked in deference to the opinions of these irrelevant, subjective people?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭strawdog

There you go lads, an old pal.

At least she declared it afterwards (whatever prompted her to do so) but terribly unprofessional she couldn't at least feign to be neutral

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭mattser

Good man Dermot, a man who was certainly on top of things in his department when he was Minister.

Thanks Jeremy. Just got that feeling of nausea I get whenever I see that photo.

I like him but my word nevin McGuire spent the entire 20 mins or so promoting his hotel/restaurant

We do this In the restaurant, ppl love it...

This goes down so well in the restaurant...

We get loads of compliments when we serve this...

Fair play to ye nevin !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I like him but my word nevin McGuire spent the entire 20 mins or so promoting his hotel/restaurant

Fair play to ye nevin !!

Only heard a snippet of his contribution but he still managed to mention his wife Imelda, daughter Lucia and even his brother (in law)!!! Family mentionings are a huge turnoff for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Jaysus who’s the one giving the synopsis on the shows .

What a harsh nasal voice, Guantanamo Bay should use it as background noise.

Would have immediate effect I would suggest.

• Advertisement

Jaysus who’s the one giving the synopsis on the shows .

What a harsh nasal voice, Guantanamo Bay should use it as background noise.

Would have immediate effect I would suggest.

There should be a special place in hell reserved for people who pronounce "Television" as "Taaaaooowvision".

sligojoek wrote: »
    There should be a special place in hell reserved for people who pronounce "Television" as "Taaaaooowvision".

Along with those who start sentences with ‘So’

Q: Why do you always start your sentences with "so"

A: So I can pi$$ off people like you.

Fair play to ye nevin !!

I know it's trivial but his pronunciation of Restaurant, as "Restrint" really grinds my gears.

But as I said it's trivial. The Saturday show is just a magazine on radio giving plenty of people a chance to self promote.

But I did enjoy the interview with Norman Crowley.

I know it's trivial but his pronunciation of Restaurant, as "Restrint" really grinds my gears.

But as I said it's trivial. The Saturday show is just a magazine on radio giving plenty of people a chance to self promote.

But I did enjoy the interview with Norman Crowley.

Not trivial, boils my piss big time.

Not trivial, boils my piss big time.

Glad it ain't just me so!

• Advertisement

Glad it ain't just me so!

Nope, it ain’t , not by a long shot.

John Fitzgerald AGAIN!
    If you'd put your pet gerbil in charge of the ESRI they would have done a better job, yet still we have to hear the opinions of this man. What exactly are his credentials at this stage, besides being well related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

John Fitzgerald AGAIN! If you'd put your pet gerbil in charge of the ESRI they would have done a better job, yet still we have to hear the opinions of this man. What exactly are his credentials at this stage, besides being well related.

He may live close by?

John Fitzgerald AGAIN!
    ... What exactly are his credentials at this stage, besides being well related.
    Oh change the bloody record.

The man has two Masters degrees, is President of the Association d’Instituts Européens de Conjoncture Économique (Association of Economic Affairs Institutes of Europe) and has been published in most of the heavy-hitting economics journals in the world.

Nobody outside of Ireland cares about his family enough to have given him these roles.

Almost every Taoiseach has had children, and a good deal of them amount to nothing. They certainly don't become influential figures in European macroeconomics due to that relationship.

If he really wanted to capitalise on his name, he'd have gone into politics, not economic research.

His brother was a founding partner of Sherry Fitzgerald - I suppose you think that firm's commercial success was just cronyism too?

Oh change the bloody record.

The man has two Masters degrees, is President of the Association d’Instituts Européens de Conjoncture Économique (Association of Economic Affairs Institutes of Europe) and has been published in most of the heavy-hitting economics journals in the world.

Nobody outside of Ireland cares about his family enough to have given him these roles.

Almost every Taoiseach has had children, and a good deal of them amount to nothing. They certainly don't become influential figures in European macroeconomics due to that relationship.

If he really wanted to capitalise on his name, he'd have gone into politics, not economic research.

His brother was a founding partner of Sherry Fitzgerald - I suppose you think that firm's commercial success was just cronyism too?

Sttttttteady now Tyrant..... deep breaths

Now I think you are being a wee bit harsh...just a wee bit.... the guy MrFitzgerald is a thoroughly well educated and qualified lad ..however...he came on yesterday and took about 12 or 13 ans to get ‘started up’ . Now I was cleaning out the cats litter tray and I had to hold the operation to see if the lad would ever get to V1 and rotation speed.

Anyone new or maybe not used to the gentleman could be forgiven for saying to themselves “who the f**k is this guy and how did he get to where he is now with that opening salvo’

Now he got the rate of climb steady after a while and reached crusing altitude safely enough, but I can see where the poster is coming from, just about.

Just giving my view, no criticism.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement