Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

All year any ball that has gone into Fennelly he's been left completely isolated. In the last two games he's had his two best games because Hogan is beside him to bring him into the game more often off scrappy ball AND Fennelly is more of a threat because now the full back line needs to worry about Hogan around the breaking ball. It's all well and good winning the battle in the middle third if you get **** all out of the ball you then send into the full forward line.

Play him from the start and leave him in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

All year any ball that has gone into Fennelly he's been left completely isolated. In the last two games he's had his two best games because Hogan is beside him to bring him into the game more often off scrappy ball AND Fennelly is more of a threat because now the full back line needs to worry about Hogan around the breaking ball. It's all well and good winning the battle in the middle third if you get **** all out of the ball you then send into the full forward line.

Two good points raised lads and both good options - one possibility is to start him in corner then move him out to half forward, then back into corner. Keep rotating him about, even out to mid-field to get on break ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭kksaints

Agree with this completely. We need someone near Fennelly who can support him and win the breaking balls that Fennelly creates. Also need someone with an eye for goal in this role.Hogan, Sheean or Awlyard are the options for this and for me Hogan is the best one out of those three.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭tibruit

Fennelly has been playing well all year with or without Hogan beside him. The importance of winning the middle third goes beyond the supply to the full forward line. Leave Hogan up with Fennelly and then you`ll find there`ll be less ball coming in and more ball being delivered to the Tipp inside forwards at the other end. Give Hogan a free role and we can expect to pick up more possession further out. The key to breaking down Tipp is to run at them straight down the middle. Keep their half backs turned and on the back foot. Browne and Leahy can do this for us.

I think TJ and Colin should be allowed to rotate more. They`ve been stationary all year. Make the switch and you`ll also have Fennelly picking up ball outside and running directly at Tipp. An option when making that switch is to allow Hogan to go with Fennelly and operate in the free role outside. TJ goes inside and is well capable of winning his own long ball. However you`d be hoping that the majority of possession for him when full forward would be coming off runners through the middle.

The role that Donnelly and Wally played against Limerick meant that they were playing too deep to be involved in the creation of goal chances. So you`re relying on the other four forwards for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

That's your opinion so fair enough but I disagree completely.

Fennellys days of playing out the field are gone imo. His speed is nowhere near where it used to be. He's all power now. Would TJ be as effective inside, clearly. Would Colin be as effective as TJ in the middle in terms of winning ball in the air and tackling - not even close.

And personally I think you go at Tipps full back line over the half back line rather than through them. You stop their threat with the ball in their half back line but you avoid it when you have the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Grats

That's your opinion so fair enough but I disagree completely.

Fennellys days of playing out the field are gone imo. His speed is nowhere near where it used to be. He's all power now. Would TJ be as effective inside, clearly. Would Colin be as effective as TJ in the middle in terms of winning ball in the air and tackling - not even close.

And personally I think you go at Tipps full back line over the half back line rather than through them. You stop their threat with the ball in their half back line but you avoid it when you have the ball.

I agree. But I wouldn't discount putting TJ at 14 occasionally, with Colin in the corner. I think TJ would win most of the balls going into him and do damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

....V Wexford ...... V Cork .......... V Limerick
    1. Eoin Murphy..... Eoin Murphy... Eoin Murphy
    2. Paul Murphy..... Paul Murphy... Paul Murphy
    3. Huw Lawlor...... Hue Lawlor..... Hue Lawlor
    4 Joey Holden...... Joey Holden.... Joey Holden

5. Paddy Deegan...Paddy Deegan...Paddy Deegan
    6. Padraig Walsh...Padraigh Walsh...Padraigh Walsh
    7. Enda Morrissey..Cillian Buckley....Conor Fogarty

8. Cillian Buckley...Conor Browne....Conor Browne
    9. Conor Fogarty ..Conor Fogarty.... Ritchie Leahy

10 Ritchie Leahy...Ritchie Leahy....., Ritchie Hogan
    11.W Walsh ....... Ritchie Hogan.....,W Walsh
    12. TJ Reid..........TJ Reid.............. TJ Reid
    13. Billy Ryan......John Donnelly......John Donnelly
    14. Colin Fennelly...Colin Fennelly....Colin Fennelly
    15. Adrian Mullen.Adrian Mullen...... Adrian Mullen

Billy Ryan Started 1 game
    Enda Morrissey started 1 game
    Cillian Buckley started 2 games came off both times
    Ritchie Hogan started 2 games came off both times
    Conor Browne started 2 games
    John Donnelly Started 2 games
    Waltar Walsh started two games

All others started all three

The reason I mention the two boys coming off is because they are suspect due to old injuries. Ritchie Leahy also came off last time due to an injury that occured in training the previous week. One wonders why he started that being the case but as he has started all three he is obviously very important to Cody's plan and I cannot see him being left out now if fully fit. The most versatile player we have is Buckley making him the ideal first sub and In Delaney we have a player who can operate anywhere in the backs and can be considered very unlucky not to make the starting team, having said that congratulations to the players who have kept him warming the bench. No mean achievement. Looking back at the last two games it becomes obvious just how much hard work Browne put in but it was not just work it was clever positioning and excellent reading of the game. He will be a definite starter and a real gem of a find. Himself and Leahy are as good a pair as the expected Tipp midfielders,though neither made Shane Stapleton's or Michaels Vernys pick of the two fifteens while Hue Lawlor and Adrian Mullen imade both. Stapleton had 8 Kilkenny while Verny had 7 Kilkenny so very even all round.

Looking at the selections over the past three games it is hard to see any changes being made from the team selected to start against Limerick. I cant see to much change to tactics either.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Good chance of rain in Dublin next Sunday for game. Greasy surface and all that!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

Good chance of rain in Dublin next Sunday for game. Greasy surface and all that!!!!

Weather is down to be lashing yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭blackwave

Wouldn't be getting hung up on the weather yet it will be a few days yet before the models will be anyway accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

blackwave wrote: »

Wouldn't be getting hung up on the weather yet it will be a few days yet before the models will be anyway accurate.

Well the weather has been accurate off the app lately if imagine it will be close.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 johnkieran1

BlachAmber wrote: »
    Delaney had Callanan well held in the league this year. He has a big future for us as a backsman I’m sure, might be a stretch to see him as a starter in a final after missing so much of the season but you’d never know.

Huw Lalor hasn’t put a foot wrong though.

Horgan had him all sorts of bother in the q/final did he not?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BlachAmber

Horgan had a game for the ages, if it was to go against Huw he wouldn't have started against Limerick. I think Cody will stick with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭JohnCougar

Hi all,

Looking for some feed back on All Ireland tickets from Season ticket holders.

We have 3 season tickets.

We have been in 305 or 306 for all matches this year in Croke Park.

Our tickets came this morning and they are for Section 302 Lower Cusack. These are on the 14 yard line and poor tickets compared to other years.

We have 85% attendance record this year. I was talking to two other season ticket holders and they have 100% record and they are in 302 and 303.

They can't blame this on extra demand from season tickets holders from Tipperary as Kilkenny, Cork and Tipperary were in the quarter finals on the same day and we were in 305.

The benefits of the season tickets (We have them since 2011) are starting to be eroded and their will be people sitting in 305 and 306 who will be at their first match this year.

Its typical of the way the GAA are treating people.

Where have other season ticket holders been seated??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

JohnCougar wrote: »
    Hi all,

Our tickets came this morning and they are for Section 302 Lower Cusack. These are on the 14 yard line and poor tickets compared to other years.

We have 85% attendance record this year. I was talking to two other season ticket holders and they have 100% record and they are in 302 and 303.

They can't blame this on extra demand from season tickets holders from Tipperary as Kilkenny, Cork and Tipperary were in the quarter finals on the same day and we were in 305.

The benefits of the season tickets (We have them since 2011) are starting to be eroded and their will be people sitting in 305 and 306 who will be at their first match this year.

I am not a season ticket holder but I remember posters from other counties saying the same thing about the seats for maybe the last two AI finals. It seems like the GAA decided a few years ago to move season ticket holders from the centre of the Cusack to towards the Hill 16 end for the AI finals. It really devalues the season ticket imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭droppingball

Mine are in 304, had 306 for last three games, have 100 per cent attendance this year. I'd imagine the corporates have 306

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭kala85

Galway season ticket last year was in 304 and 303

Still though lower cusack 302 isn't bad for an all Ireland and its great to have them out in the post.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm in 303 Row AA. I'd much prefer this to 305 Row C or D or even back as far as M/N/O.

2014 replay I was in 309 Row A. I may as well have watched it on TV. The worst was for that game they actually put tickets on ticketmaster for sale. This year is not so bad in fairness as long as you are not too far forward you will have a good enough view.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

I got 302 for the replay vs Tipp in 2014 and emailed them complaining. We had been in 305 for all other games. I got the usual reply “A Chara, due to the high demand blah blah blah.....,

In work now, so must check the post when I get home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

JohnCougar wrote: »
    Hi all,

A family member has 5 season tickets between them. 80% attendance. Got 301 row C. After being in 306/305 for the other games. They're understandably not happy. Especially as its costing them 450 euro for the pleasure..

• Advertisement

jluv wrote: »
    A family member has 5 season tickets between them. 80% attendance. Got 301 row C. After being in 306/305 for the other games. They're understandably not happy. Especially as its costing them 450 euro for the pleasure..

There is nothing we can do about the €90.00 per ticket but as your family member and us have 80% of attendance, we all have gone and travelled and spent loads of money following the team over this year and other years and we get bad tickets for the final.

I have sent an email and I am waiting on a typical HSE type reponse.

100%. attendance. Section 305.

Grats wrote: »
    100%. attendance. Section 305.

Well done.

Spoke to two families today and one has 100% attendance and are in 302 and the other has 66% and in 306.

Does anyone know how many season tickets there are in Kilkenny?

I was joking. Section 302.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,829 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I'm a former season ticket holder (since moved abroad) and the deterioration in the quality of the tickets we were getting was going on five and six years ago.

Two reasons seem the most likely. For one, they want to keep the really good tickets for people whose business they haven't already secured. Why give you 305 when you are guaranteed to pay anyway? Or better yet, why not save the best seats for our corporate partners?

The second reason (and this is a bit more conspiracy-theory territory I suppose, but the numbers support it) is that they really don't like the season ticket, and county boards really, really don't like them, so they've been undermining them for years, cutting back on the value of them in various ways to discourage their use, like increasing the price, reducing the gap between how much they cost and how much it would cost if you didn't bother, and reducing the quality of AI day tickets. They were a great idea because they reward loyal fans and ensure they get tickets for big occasions. But that's not what makes Croke Park tick, as well we all know. The unfairness is a feature of the system, not a bug, and by the same token, the decline of the season ticket isn't an accident, it's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

They really need to bring in different prices for the sections in the stadium. It’s a joke that everyone pays €90 regardless of their seat.
    They can still get the exact same revenue from the final but it would be fairer. I’ve never seen any other sport do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

This game seems like the last 2 games with most people saying if our opposition play well we won’t win etc etc. We can’t leave our full back exposed like 2016 because tipp will do excatly what they did that day. What worries me about this is that tipp have some very good long range shooters and if we leave too much space out the field they could pick of points. We’ll need an unbelievable work rate from our forwards and I think we’ll get it. Browne should try stick to Noel McGrath as much as he can. I think if our forwards play well they’ll have the tipp backs in trouble also. They’ve a very strong half back line in the air but you can get them and Paudie Maher fouls an awful lot. I think Colin is in the form of his life and could really go to town if decent ball is supplied with hogan close.

The only possible change I can see from the last day is at midfield. Leahy, Maher or Buckley will partner Browne. I’d pick Maher or leahy just because their more natural midfielders But wouldn’t mind seeing Buckley start and seeing leahy introduced for him. Both benches could be also be vital with some very good young inexperienced players on both benches along with older lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭blackcard

Hard to make out all the players at training this evening as wearing different jerseys. Those I made out were E Murphy, P Murphy, Lawlor, Holden, Fogarty, P Walsh, Deegan, Leahy, W Walsh, Donnelly, Reid, A Mullen, Fennelly, Hogan, Shefflin, James Maher, Bill Sheehan I thought, Blanchfield, Aylward, Morrissey, Cleere, D Mullen,Cillian Buckley I think. Not familiar enough with Conor Browne or Delaney to make them out. Almost 40 players togged out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭brookville

blackcard wrote: »
    Hard to make out all the players at training this evening as wearing different jerseys. Those I made out were E Murphy, P Murphy, Lawlor, Holden, Fogarty, P Walsh, Deegan, Leahy, W Walsh, Donnelly, Reid, A Mullen, Fennelly, Hogan, Shefflin, James Maher, Bill Sheehan I thought, Blanchfield, Aylward, Morrissey, Cleere, D Mullen,Cillian Buckley I think. Not familiar enough with Conor Browne or Delaney to make them out. Almost 40 players togged out

Great turn out tonight.Great for kids and people not able to travel up.Noticed a huge line on the way out they were selling terrace tickets.On the training the whole squad looked to be there granted it was only drills and that but good to see tom aylward and Robert Lennon involved after long term injuries.Bill Sheehan took part but was being put through his paces on the opposite side.Didnt look like much wrong with him.Richie hogans left knee was strapped up hopefully only a precaution he looked to be moving ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭RamonD3

I'm a former season ticket holder (since moved abroad) and the deterioration in the quality of the tickets we were getting was going on five and six years ago.

Two reasons seem the most likely. For one, they want to keep the really good tickets for people whose business they haven't already secured. Why give you 305 when you are guaranteed to pay anyway? Or better yet, why not save the best seats for our corporate partners?

The second reason (and this is a bit more conspiracy-theory territory I suppose, but the numbers support it) is that they really don't like the season ticket, and county boards really, really don't like them, so they've been undermining them for years, cutting back on the value of them in various ways to discourage their use, like increasing the price, reducing the gap between how much they cost and how much it would cost if you didn't bother, and reducing the quality of AI day tickets. They were a great idea because they reward loyal fans and ensure they get tickets for big occasions. But that's not what makes Croke Park tick, as well we all know. The unfairness is a feature of the system, not a bug, and by the same token, the decline of the season ticket isn't an accident, it's the point.

They'd be mugs if they took that line, the guaranteed income and attendance from these tickets is masking the falling crowds to an extent. The 'super' 8s could be played in Parnell park otherwise!

The thing with Sunday is that this pairing is a hard sell for a neutral, even if we're on tenterhooks waiting for it. The participating counties always got the worst tickets and this is only an extension of that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement