Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭mullinr2

brookville wrote: »
    Well done to the rebels the better team won.they also wasted alot of chances.o Connell ran the show out around mid field we were slow react maybe.It was hard to expect much from mullen today from the high last week to a burial this morning.we just werent good enough its simple as that i thought our fowards couldnt reach the highs of the galway match the last two days.cork were much slicker and created way more than us so best of luck to them in the final.Id still be hopeful we might get a few lads off this squad over the next few years.

Mullen is already there
    E. Cody will def make it too
    Blanchfield will add height and pace in the backline.
    Who else from that team will make it?
    E.Shefflin?
    Niall Brassil?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Topcat32

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Mullen is already there
    E.Shefflin?
    Niall Brassil?

Very hard to judge who is going to make it based on under 20 matches, some of the panel members are only 18, the colleges leagues and fitzgibbon cup are far better indicators of it as we have seen with Huw Lawlor and Conor Browne.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭brookville

Mullen is already there
    E.Shefflin?
    Niall Brassil?

Suppose its very hard say at this stage.cody likes carey and shefflin both are on the extended panel.i like the look of butler he is tidy looking.these chaps are young i wouldn't be hard on them.we never kicked on from the galway win which is dissapointing.Again today our fowards just couldn't click which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Didn't do enough to win that particularly up front. Pity. That Cork team are no great shakes. Ironically I think we'll glean more seniors out of that group than Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭blackcard

I thought we played nowhere near our potential today and continually took wrong options from Dean Mason to Jordan Molloy to Eoin Cody. Not sure why Kilkenny were terribly late coming out before the match but never got to the pitch of the game today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭The White Feather

blackcard wrote: »
    I thought we played nowhere near our potential today and continually took wrong options from Dean Mason to Jordan Molloy to Eoin Cody. Not sure why Kilkenny were terribly late coming out before the match but never got to the pitch of the game today

They showed KK doing warm ups on the pitch next door/outside. Thought it was strange too

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

citykat wrote: »
    Didn't do enough to win that particularly up front. Pity. That Cork team are no great shakes. Ironically I think we'll glean more seniors out of that group than Cork.

I watched Cork V Tipp a few weeks ago in the Munster Final - a super game. High intensity and very high skill level. I thought, after watching it, that the 2 teams would be back in All Ireland Final.

Cork always looked the better team yesterday. I'd say the game V Tipp would have brought them on a good bit and it def. showed yesterday. They were just a bit sharper all over the pitch.

U20 is a funny enough age group. It'll be interesting to see what players push on, apart from the players mentioned. Regardless, they need to be making their first team in clubs this year and driving on from there. Inter-club games will harden them up physically and give them good development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Seadin

citykat wrote: »
    That Cork team are no great shakes.

What does that say about KK?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Seadin wrote: »

Not a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Seadin wrote: »

Bit of a general statement saying 'that Cork team are no great shakes'.

Hard to judge an U20 team especially after a couple of games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Beat me to it! Just like Fogarty, or Lester Ryan, from the looks of him, a work horse in the middle of the field, will probably go unnoticed unless he has a bad day.

Thought he was great. Absolute workhorse, another season of IC hurling should do him well. Any midfielder that's compared to Lester is quality. Fogarty has really improved his shooting the last year or two & he's also someone I'd be happy to be compared with. KK has a bright future whether the cup ends up in KK or Tipp.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

Just watching the Tipp U20s, they're giving Wexford an awful hiding. Goes to show how poor our U20s are, who barely got over Wexford.
    Tipp have another attacking gem in Jake Morris. They seem to be able to create great forwards

Just looking back at the 2014 minor winning team. A good few from that team are now on the senior squad: Leahy, Blanchfield, Browne, Cleere, Delaney, Walsh to name a few. One name on that team was Darragh Joyce. How good of a hurler was he? I heard he was meant to very good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Just looking back at the 2014 minor winning team. A good few from that team are now on the senior squad: Leahy, Blanchfield, Browne, Cleere, Delaney, Walsh to name a few. One name on that team was Darragh Joyce. How good of a hurler was he? I heard he was meant to very good?
    Darragh was a great rangy player and hurlings loss is AFL's gain. He was a very strong midfielder and great prospect for the half forward line with a paw, wrists and a real athlete.

Darragh was a great rangy player and hurlings loss is AFL's gain. He was a very strong midfielder and great prospect for the half forward line with a paw, wrists and a real athlete.

Hopefully he will return like Kerrys Tommy Walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 14 takeyourpoint

Just watching the Tipp U20s, they're giving Wexford an awful hiding. Goes to show how poor our U20s are, who barely got over Wexford.
    Tipp have another attacking gem in Jake Morris. They seem to be able to create great forwards

Maybe it also goes to show how poor the management team were!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

You would not exactly say Adrian Mullen or Eoin Coady are not attacking gems. David Blanchfield was head and shoulders the best player on view last night and the day will come when we will have Blanchfield, Lawlor and Delaney three potential greats of the game all young all playing together. Browne Maher and John Donnelly have already stepped up to the mark and will stand to us for years. We hope Tommy Walsh and Billy Ryan will continue to improve. Even Shefflin is another showing some great signs. The current minor squad have tremendous fighting spirit and some very talented players.

You would not exactly say Adrian Mullen or Eoin Coady are not attacking gems. David Blanchfield was head and shoulders the best player on view last night and the day will come when we will have Blanchfield, Lawlor and Delaney three potential greats of the game all young all playing together. Browne Maher and John Donnelly have already stepped up to the mark and will stand to us for years. We hope Tommy Walsh and Billy Ryan will continue to improve. Even Shefflin is another showing some great signs. The current minor squad have tremendous fighting spirit and some very talented players.

I agree with you there. Mullen, Cody and Blanchfield have the makings of great players.
    That was a good forward line we had yesterday, they just never clicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Also could have a lot to do with the referee that night in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

Also could have a lot to do with the referee that night in Wexford.

Well, the ref didn't help as was reflected by posters reaction on here at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

tibruit wrote: »
    In last Sundays Independent, Dermot Crowe wrote two pieces where he spoke about Cody. One was about the victory over Limerick the day before. In the first paragraph he described Cody as the king who met the queen. The other was about Wexford and a guy called Kevin Whelan who didn`t hold back on how much he disliked Kilkenny. He met Cody at an artists exhibition and they were both viewing paintings side by side. One painting was of a Kilkenny team and the other was a of a group of Black and Tans. Whelan remarked how both groups looked alike and Cody laughed and said they were all killers. Crowe is one of the best sports journalists out there but he hates Kilkenny and can`t disguise it. Subliminally he is saying that KK are west Brits. What has Cody meeting the queen got to do with anything that went on the day before?

Fast forward to Sunday night then and we have Donal Og........"and the last point I`ll make right, while I`m on it cos I think it`s often on my mind, I actually believe that type of...you know....accusation of disrespecting the traditions of the games....I actually think it`s part of the last remnants of British culture on these islands, cos we know that the British with the games that they....they founded a lot of them right....they struggled to accept and adapt to the all the wider influences in their game. I would equate this long ball to John Bull type spirit, Jack Charlton type spirit, it`s exactly the same type of spirit for me." It`s been on your mind a while Donal Og? Yeah right ....who was reading Crowe that morning? The irony of comparing Jack Charlton to hurling traditionalists shouldn`t be ignored either. Charltons long ball tactic was designed to suppress the expressiveness of opposing teams which is fair enough. However his critics at the time claimed that it also suppressed the expression of his own players and the critics had a point. Charlton was far more akin to Davy Fitz and Derek McGrath than he ever was to Cody or Sheedy. The true innovators of hurling are in the All Ireland final on the 18th and anyone who wants to understand what innovation in hurling really is, should read the piece from the Kilkenny People posted by Citycat above. Give me character and intensity first and foremost, over numbers behind the ball any time.

With regard to Cusacks earlier rant about the innovations in football. Everything Pat Spillane said back in the day about Puke Football still stands today. As a spectacle, football is in the drain. With the exceptions being Dublin, Kerry, Mayo and this year Cork stepped up to the plate also. If you want to have a nap in your chair on a Sunday afternoon, turn on the Ulster championship. Nothing will get you there faster. Counting sheep has nothing on it. The GAA don`t spend enough time counteracting the falling standards in football as a spectacle brought about by supposed innovators. They could begin by renaming it handball, which is what it really is now anyway.

Who is this kevin Whelan whats this west Britain stuff my grand parents would turn in there graves , when you heard stories and hardships they had to indure when the tans were about. They got there horses from the ritch golden vale farmers to trample on the people of Ireland, I think the republican party has been more than represented in kilkenny.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Hopefully he will return like Kerrys Tommy Walsh

signed a contract extension to stay with St Kilda for another 2 years 2 weeks ago. So you may have to wait a bit longer.

With regards to discussion on the U20 teams, Wexford were a shambles this year. I thought they were awful against Kilkenny and that Kilkenny should have beat them out of sight. The fact they didnt spoke about them as much. I was not at all surprised to see 2 comfortable wins for the Munster sides and not at all surprised to see Tipp hammer Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Kilkenny hurled for 45mins at the weekend. Richie Hogan sat out training
    Knee problem. They will do the same during the week and Saturday. Then we are all sett

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

Kilkenny hurled for 45mins at the weekend. Richie Hogan sat out training
    Knee problem. They will do the same during the week and Saturday. Then we are all sett

Anything on the Tipp camp while you're in the groove?

Grats wrote: »
    Anything on the Tipp camp while you're in the groove?

Babs was back in working on the parade behind the Sean Tracey pipers

James Owens confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭blackcard

So if everyone is fit, same starting team as the last day. James Maher, Billy Ryan, Liam Blanchfield and Cillian Buckley coming on as subs

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

blackcard wrote: »
    So if everyone is fit, same starting team as the last day. James Maher, Billy Ryan, Liam Blanchfield and Cillian Buckley coming on as subs

Like Billy Ryan I think Richie Leahy offers more coming off the bench at the moment. I’d start with the experience of Cillian Buckley, if fit. If not
    I’d start James Maher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Babs was back in working on the parade behind the Sean Tracey pipers
    Did he have anyone to help him carry that chip on his shoulder or did he manage it himself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Two positions up for debate in my opinion.
    Who partners Browne in midfield? Like previous poster i think Leahy offers more coming on when the game opens up. Buckley has looked very rusty so I'm inclined to go for Maher here.
    And does Hogan start or can someone like Billy Ryan impress enough this week to warrant the spot

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement