Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Callan's Kicks

Comments

Isn’t he a Shinner himself?
    some of his most personal skits have been aimed at Mary Lou Mcdonald (comparing her to a purple Quality Street, etc), I think it's fair to say he applies his satire equally across the board.

It's one of those rare instances where I find it impossible to even guess a broadcaster's political affiliations (Cormac Ó hEadhra - Shinner. Claire Byrne definitely gives preferences to Labour and FG). I genuinely wouldn't even try guess at Callan's affiliation, except to say he's probably not a Lord Ross voter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

yeah, Ed Byrne, Dara O'Briain, Dylan Moran

*extremely taxi driver accent*
    "Sure I could do that"

Sure there's an ex-GP on Newstalk these days talking about the dumbing down of the media without a hint of irony.........

Sure there's an ex-GP on Newstalk these days talking about the dumbing down of the media without a hint of irony.........
    I don't see the irony.

Journalism degrees were fairly new here up until the early 00's. I remember exploring the career myself at the time, but it offered no real benefit that couldn't be found in doing a humanities or even a science degree. How many well-known journalists anywhere have a journalism degree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

some of his most personal skits have been aimed at Mary Lou Mcdonald (comparing her to a purple Quality Street, etc), I think it's fair to say he applies his satire equally across the board.

It's one of those rare instances where I find it impossible to even guess a broadcaster's political affiliations (Cormac Ó hEadhra - Shinner. Claire Byrne definitely gives preferences to Labour and FG). I genuinely wouldn't even try guess at Callan's affiliation, except to say he's probably not a Lord Ross voter.

Tyrant, if you check his Twitter feed you will see he is probably the most anti Government hack you would meet in a days walk.

Tyrant, if you check his Twitter feed you will see he is probably the most anti Government hack you would meet in a days walk.
    I don't use Twitter these days, but I'll take your word for it. It's a slightly different platform, one where he can be his own person. All I mean is that, based on the Radio Programme, he distributes his satire equally.

Also, the very nature of a party being in Government means they're open to greater attention, and indeed satire. Nobody will waste their time satirising the Communist Party of Ireland, for example.

I don't use Twitter these days, but I'll take your word for it. It's a slightly different platform, one where he can be his own person. All I mean is that, based on the Radio Programme, he distributes his satire equally.

Also, the very nature of a party being in Government means they're open to greater attention, and indeed satire. Nobody will waste their time satirising the Communist Party of Ireland, for example.

He also ‘ writes’ a column for some paper and is wall to wall anti Govt.

Bit on the Gene Kerrigan style, hurler on the ditch stuff.

I do take your point though, he does hit all targets in his satirical revue.

Could do more to highlight Boyd Barrett and the rest of the bullhorn crowd, in my opinion.

But hey......it’s no big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

He's from SF country but I suspect he is more champagne left

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    He's from SF country but I suspect he is more champagne left
    SF country? A Protestant Fine Gaeler topped the poll in the last election in Cavan Monaghan, but ok.

SF country? A Protestant Fine Gaeler topped the poll in the last election in Cavan Monaghan, but ok.

Monaghan is the most fervent SF county in Ireland and iniskeen is about the most republican parish in monaghan, its hardly a massive reveal for anyone who knows anything about the place

Monaghan also has a large protestant minority, no revelation either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Monaghan is the most fervent SF county in Ireland
    Donegal, Cavan, Louth and Kerry might beg to differ ...

Monaghan is the most fervent SF county in Ireland and iniskeen is about the most republican parish in monaghan, its hardly a massive reveal for anyone who knows anything about the place

Monaghan also has a large protestant minority, no revelation either.
    Ah here. My home constituency is a loyal Lowry electorate. It's nó indication of my own politics. I really wouldn't be surprised if Callan had been a supporter of Humphreys or Ó Caoileáin (in fact, he possibly voted the former to prolong his excellent sketch about her, haï)

serfboard wrote: »
    Donegal, Cavan, Louth and Kerry might beg to differ ...

Only dundalk is comparable and as for the others, only donegal comes close, kerry is no more republican than anywhere else

Ah here. My home constituency is a loyal Lowry electorate. It's nó indication of my own politics. I really wouldn't be surprised if Callan had been a supporter of Humphreys or Ó Caoileáin (in fact, he possibly voted the former to prolong his excellent sketch about her, haï)

Wasn't speculating on how he himself voted, merely said he was from SF country which he is

Monaghan is the most fervent SF county in Ireland
    merely said he was from SF country which he is
    Just because you keep saying this, does not make it true.

If only there were some way to measure this ... Oh, I got it, why not look at how the parties performed in the last General Election?

And the result of that? Fine Gael 32%, Fianna Fáil 30%, Sinn Féin 27%.

Just over a quarter of the electorate voting for SF does not make it "SF country" in my book.

Over 60% of the electorate voted FFG, which makes it FFG country - just like most other constituencies, in fact.

In fact, Heather Humphreys was the tenth most-popular politician in the country.

And what party did not feature in that top-ten list? Sinn Fein.

• Advertisement

Just because you keep saying this, does not make it true.

If only there were some way to measure this ... Oh, I got it, why not look at how the parties performed in the last General Election?

And the result of that? Fine Gael 32%, Fianna Fáil 30%, Sinn Féin 27%.

Just over a quarter of the electorate voting for SF does not make it "SF country" in my book.

Over 60% of the electorate voted FFG, which makes it FFG country - just like most other constituencies, in fact.

As if everyone votes, culturally monaghan is extremely republican, its not a criticism

As if everyone votes, culturally monaghan is extremely republican, its not a criticism
    OK. So you make definitive statements.

When it is pointed out to you that you are wrong, you say "culturally" etc.

So, your feelings trump the facts?

Using your argument, there are large numbers of "fervent" SF supporters in Monaghan that don't vote.

And your evidence for that is what, exactly?

OK. So you make definitive statements.

When it is pointed out to you that you are wrong, you say "culturally" etc.

So, your feelings trump the facts?

Using your argument, there are large numbers of "fervent" SF supporters in Monaghan that don't vote.

And your evidence for that is what, exactly?

I'm not sure what is so controversial about what I said?

I didn't label Callan himself a SF voter and if he is, that's fine by me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Ffs this is not the Politics forum...

I'm not sure what is so controversial about what I said?
    There's nothing controversial about what you said. You just made a definitive statement about "SF country" that I showed definitively to be wrong.
    I didn't label Callan himself a SF voter and if he is, that's fine by me
    I don't care either. I enjoy his show that much that I went to see him in Galway - and a great evening it was, too.

• Advertisement

There's nothing controversial about what you said. You just made a definitive statement about "SF country" that I showed definitively to be wrong.

I don't care either. I enjoy his show that much that I went to see him in Galway - and a great evening it was, too.

You didn't show anything to be wrong, you expressed an opinion

Allo Allo Allo, wots all this then?

Can we get away from the finer points of electoral trends in the Cavan-Monaghan District and get back to regular programming? Pretty, Liberal-Ladies please

You certainly didn't sound like you were from Killinaskully when you were on with CK last week caller! You'd be wan a dem buckos wit notions about himself I'd say wit yer pseudo D4 accent and dat.

;):):pac:

Allo Allo Allo, wots all this then?

Can we get away from the finer points of electoral trends in the Cavan-Monaghan District and get back to regular programming? Pretty, Liberal-Ladies please

There you go again objectifying women........

;)

You certainly didn't sound like you were from Killinaskully when you were on with CK last week caller! You'd be wan a dem buckos wit notions about himself I'd say wit yer pseudo D4 accent and dat.

;):):pac:
    I have to make myself sound intelligible when speaking to "the quality". When I'm down in Tipp my internal geolocation kicks in, and every second word out of my mouth is turf*

*No offence to sligojoek and his sophisticated celeb friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,259 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

What’s with all the sudden activity on this thread?!

Have we branched out from the usual ‘the impressions are good, but the material is weak’? :D

What’s with all the sudden activity on this thread?!

Have we branched out from the usual ‘the impressions are good, but the material is weak’? :D

Oliver was just back from a break-een that started before Christmas caller.....in February. RTÉ and dat. Still has a long way to go to catch up on serial break-een taker Mr. Joseph Duffy of Dollymount (although he would prefer if you refer to it as Clontarf so to speak).

Oliver was just back from a break-een that started before Christmas caller.....in February. RTÉ and dat. Still has a long way to go to catch up on serial break-een taker Mr. Joseph Duffy of Dollymount (although he would prefer if you refer to it as Clontarf so to speak).
    I'm presuming that Oliver is not on staff. One would expect (hope) that all independent contractors would be paid on a "money follows the show" basis, so no show, no money.

Oliver would be used to this business model anyway since he also writes columns for Mr. Murdoch. And I doubt that particular oligarch pays for columns that aren't written ...

I'm presuming that Oliver is not on staff. One would expect (hope) that all independent contractors would be paid on a "money follows the show" basis, so no show, no money.

Oliver would be used to this business model anyway since he also writes columns for Mr. Murdoch. And I doubt that particular oligarch pays for columns that aren't written ...

I'm aware of that caller.

It was a dig at Mr. Duffy so to speak, not Mr. Callan. Those who follow Da Lahv Lahn Thread would have gotten the reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I have to make myself sound intelligible when speaking to "the quality". When I'm down in Tipp my internal geolocation kicks in, and every second word out of my mouth is turf*

*No offence to sligojoek and his sophisticated celeb friends

None taken. I'm proud of my bog accent.

• Advertisement

That Marian Finucane/Dave Fanning sketch was good.

That Marian Finucane/Dave Fanning sketch was good.

About the only thing that was good.... the rest was quite poor.

He should give the Huw Edwards bit the bin. Stale.

He should give the Huw Edwards bit the bin. Stale.

Agreed...the Boris Johnson part has become overplayed at this point.

Agreed...the Boris Johnson part has become overplayed at this point.
    I wonder if the increasing number of UK political sketches are just a result of Brexit, or also a sign of Callan's interest in working with a UK broadcaster. He's a fairly young man, I doubt he sees himself working for RTÉ Radio forever.

I wonder if the increasing number of UK political sketches are just a result of Brexit, or also a sign of Callan's interest in working with a UK broadcaster. He's a fairly young man, I doubt he sees himself working for RTÉ Radio forever.

Why would they want him when they can pick any number of their own competent mimics?

“You can catch up on the RTE Player...if you don’t mind the crashing, buffering and ads 17 times a minute.”

:eek: :D

I thought tonight's highlights were the sketch on Mícheál Lehane ("looks like every butcher's apprentice in the Midlands"); the Fianna Fáil meeting featuring Jim O'Callaghan trying to insult his rivals; and of course, the Liberal Ladies.

However I wish he'd put Sharon Ní Bheol-atron out of her misery; that sketch has barely changed over the years, and now the Theresa May-bot is just an extension of it.

Wearisome Bryan Dobson telling us the time is still funny, mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

The Leo + Brexit sketches were very good just there.

That ‘Morning Ireland squeezed into three minutes’ sketch was good...you really could :D

• Advertisement

Fantastic Ray D’Arcy show sketch :D

I’ll now read stories from the papers you already read eight hours ago, then laugh maniacally!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Just turned on for that bit.

I'll get the rest on podcast later

sligojoek wrote: »
    Just turned on for that bit.

I'll get the rest on podcast later

Other than that, not up to much.

Hahahahahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

The pat Kenny skit was good

Just listened back to it. The Varadkar impression is great, but it just grates on me. Probably nothing to do with the sketches, just the fact that Varadkar himself grates on me. It's all a bit too true to life.

I miss the Alan Shatter sketches; 'twould almost make me vote for Shatter in the next election, if he runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Did he give liberal ladies a skip this week? I think that's not good, or at least could be done in a much shorter sketch.

Think he hits plenty on the head. Always enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Fantastic Ray D’Arcy show sketch :D

I’ll now read stories from the papers you already read eight hours ago, then laugh maniacally!

Along with the pitch-perfect "I dunno!" and his operator errors on the control desk. The under-stated details - which seems to make it funnier.
    I really enjoy Sean ORourke's weary resignation, esp. when Des Cahill is the target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Along with the pitch-perfect "I dunno!" and his operator errors on the control desk. The under-stated details - which seems to make it funnier.
    I really enjoy Sean ORourke's weary resignation, esp. when Des Cahill is the target.

The errors were so funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭mattser

This attempt at comedy/parody is long since past it's sell by date.
    The so called village idiot could do as good, if not better.

mattser wrote: »
    Ah here, that's a bit too far à stretch.

I respectfully assume that you're not the village idiot; if not, why don't you apply yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭mattser

mattser wrote: »
    Ah here, that's a bit too far à stretch.

I respectfully assume that you're not the village idiot; if not, why don't you apply yourself?

Probably because, like yourself, I'm a boring unfunny person.

• Advertisement
Advertisement