Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Cancer society refusing donations from fox hunters

Options
  • 14-02-2019 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up by now

https://www.radiokerry.ie/irish-cancer-society-will-no-longer-accept-donations-associated-fox-hunting/?fbclid=IwAR29xqxzDZ832Ha_1RUWgGQtCyAjYHH1SaXJwodxxa939eTXWgYHrv4uKBk#
    The Irish Cancer Society will no longer take proceeds from the annual Abbeyeale Harriers Hunting Festival.

The society says it made the decision following a number of objections from the public.

The Abbeyfeale Harriers Annual Hunting Festival has been running since 2005 and has been donating the proceeds of the week-long event to the Irish Cancer Society since then.

I'm disgusted that a few people who are fairly vocal have stopped funds going to cancer patients and research just because they happen to disagree with a lawful pastime.
    I'll be emailing the Irish Cancer society and telling them if the money raised from a hunting festival isn't good enough for them I'll be giving my few bob elsewhere come daffodil day .😠😠

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

It struck me that there's no limit to what the Antis won't target.

To campaign to lessen funding for cancer research really is something.

I wonder how many animals are used for cancer research? Also I take some solas from the fact that the Irish cancer society are so well funded that they're comfortable turning away money.
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Beggars can't be choosers.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

lol
    A huge amount of cancer research involves animal testing.

In particular, giving animals cancer in the first place. Beagles are good for this!

At least a shooter is humane.

Outright ideologues.
    Leave them to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Since the start of 2016 UCC has spent over half a million euro purchasing 27,116 animals for scientific research. Of this total, 22,641 were euthanised afterwards.

These lads fox hunting are killing an average of one a year, if that.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Since the start of 2016 UCC has spent over half a million euro purchasing 27,116 animals for scientific research. Of this total, 22,641 were euthanised afterwards.

These lads fox hunting are killing an average of one a year, if that.

Ah ya but apparently the fox is put under undue strain and pressure during the hunt, its not good for his psychological health god forbid he may develop cancer from the stress and worry of it all.
    These lads priorities are really messed up where an animal is given more rights and respect than their fellow human.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Stopped giving to these big shot charities years ago. Keep it local, id sure there is a palliative care group in the community, your just paying these head sheds wages.
    They won't refuse money, same goes for Pieta house.....they've been infiltrated by the antis look up ICABs web pages..so now give to SOSAD or similiar local regional groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

solarwinds wrote: »
    Ah ya but apparently the fox is put under undue strain and pressure during the hunt, its not good for his psychological health god forbid he may develop cancer from the stress and worry of it all.
    These lads priorities are really messed up where an animal is given more rights and respect than their fellow human.

Amazing the red fox hasn't become extinct centuries ago with all this stress and being pursued by dogs or wolves,or being prey itself, for large raptors . Strange,that it is known as the clever or sly fox in common terminology,or as the prince of thieves in the middle east.

Good to not support this crowd because of their anti-hunt stance. But it has to be let known why others are not going to donate to them because of their anti-hunting position.So if you are not going to donate anymore, send them a note as to why, and that you stand in solidarity with the fox hunters.THey'll soon get the message.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I'd be wary of the charity sector in general in this country - the people who seem to do most well out of them are the CEO's!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I did, two days ago.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Well I've just sent them a nice email. The anti's seem to be getting their views across of late, I think it's time we started shouting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Cass wrote: »
    I did look for it but didn't find it
    feel free to merge the threads

Nah, it's better off here in it's own thread. I stuck it in their because it related to the other lot.

Wasn't having a go at you btw, just pointing out it was mentioned. :cool:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

I emailed them earlier this week pointing out the fact about animal testing and that I and my buddies would never support them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Well I got a fairly short responce from the Irish Cancer Society. All she really said was that they took the decision based on the amount of complaints they were receiving from their supporters, cancer survivor's, and their family's.

(Supporters, cancer survivor's, and their families) = bloody ICABS!

Well let's just say, I blew a f***ing fuse!!

Eddie B wrote: »
    (Supporters, cancer survivor's, and their families) = bloody ICABS!
    Without the need for a tin foil hat, yup. I'd say so.

I have family members and one Uncle i'm close to, that are going through treatment and i can guarantee if i said the organisations that are researching treatment or potential cures were refusing donations based on anonymous complaints about the method/source of that donation, they'd be rightly pissed.

To think anyone suffering from cancer would put the well being of a vermin species over their own health is laughable. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, there are always a couple, but they are the exception, not the rule.

I can safely say without fear of contradiction that if you or one of your children are unfortunate enough to have been given a diagnosis of cancer that you will not care one bit where the money comes from to cure you.
    If cancer patients are that up in arms about this, which I do not believe for one second, is there now going to be a similar boycott placed on the labs and pharma companies who make the drugs that just saved there lives.
    This is all just about the public perception of an organisation who care more about image by the looks of it.
    They should have no criteria on who they take money off, at the end of the day this is peoples lives they are toying with.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Emailed them this:

Good Evening, I would be grateful if you could clarify if the Irish Cancer Society has requested the Abbeyfeale Harriers to refrain from sending donations.

If this is the case, I will no longer be donating to the Irish Cancer Society and I will also be removing my bequest to the ICS from my will. My family have pledged to do same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If an organisation such as the Irish Cancer Society doesn't want my money, then I'm absolutely fine with that. It means more money in my pocket for shooting.

I'll be telling them that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

https://www.radiokerry.ie/irish-cancer-society-will-no-longer-accept-donations-associated-fox-hunting/?fbclid=IwAR29xqxzDZ832Ha_1RUWgGQtCyAjYHH1SaXJwodxxa939eTXWgYHrv4uKBk#
    The Irish Cancer Society will no longer take proceeds from the annual Abbeyeale Harriers Hunting Festival.

The society says it made the decision following a number of objections from the public.

The Abbeyfeale Harriers Annual Hunting Festival has been running since 2005 and has been donating the proceeds of the week-long event to the Irish Cancer Society since then.

I'm disgusted that a few people who are fairly vocal have stopped funds going to cancer patients and research just because they happen to disagree with a lawful pastime.
    I'll be emailing the Irish Cancer society and telling them if the money raised from a hunting festival isn't good enough for them I'll be giving my few bob elsewhere come daffodil day .😠😠

The "public" being ISCABS. They are so nice they even have a scripted format for those unable to write their own... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

Jesus H, that makes me effin' sick. What a silly, ill-informed, narrow minded decision. I'm effin' fuming after reading that

I am new to hunting and wouldn't have known much about it before my daughter got involved a few years ago. I've followed the hunt about 10 times in the last 2 years and I have not seen one single fox getting even close to being hurt.

You would not find a crowd that has more love and respect for animals than the people I have met through the hunt.

As someone who unfortunately has lost loved ones to cancer (probably like most people), I have always dug into my pocket when I see them fund raising. I will never give them a single penny again. Even if they were to reverse this decision now, I don't think I would as it has shown what kind of a crowd they are.

As someone said above, support your local charities, hospices, support groups etc

• Advertisement

Be interesting to know how much money if any the anti's have donated to the ICS over the years compared to field sports. And now that they are responsible for a loss of funds will they take up the slack.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

As a cancer survivor (so far at least) I find it hard to understand the logic of these people. I certainly won't be donating to ICS in the future, there are other organisations that help me.

On a lighter note, before my third operation for colo-rectal cancer I gave my surgeon a gift of a Butt-Out tool and the whole surgical team knocked great craic out of it.

While great saying we won't support these charities anymore. We need to let the ICS and any others in the future, exactly why we won't be giving them monies. Polite posts to their FB, twatter and homepage, is in order to let them know actions have consequences if you are going to be politically correct and bend to minority social justice warriors.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Jesus wept, I just spent the last 20 mins on ICABS facebook page and my god I'm not the better for it. Between the threats of violence and wishes of getting cancer and having a screaming death is there not some kind of law against that. Anyone whose comments disagree with their views is immediately attacked. Apparently we all have small penises, cant spell, have mommy issues and we are all about to become mass murderers.
    With the amount of threats of violence against people I would be worried only for the fact most of them are keyboard warriors.
    Jesus they are not right in the head.

solarwinds wrote: »
    Apparently we all have small penises, cant spell, have mommy issues and we are all about to become mass murderers.
    Jesus their not right in the head.

Which shows they cant construct one civilised, rational argument between them.Obviously have some sort of sexual problems,if they have to compare dick sizes.As if that somehow is going to stop us shooting&hunting...Plus they obviously haven't read what Freud said about the irrational fear of weapons...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

I'm lazy his morning - anyone got a good ICS email to write to? Disgusted that cancer research relies heavily on vivisection and now the pot is calling the kettle black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Does hunting cause cancer?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

yubabill wrote: »
    I'm lazy his morning - anyone got a good ICS email to write to? Disgusted that cancer research relies heavily on vivisection and now the pot is calling the kettle black.

This email address is on their website for fundraising purposes: fundraising@irishcancer.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Meanwhile, here in UK, the RSPCA and RSPB have each ripped the shooting community a new one in the last couple of years. We were annual donors to both organisations for well over forty years,but now they can do without our financial assistance, small though it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

I had a major facial reconstruction just before Christmas to sort out a 'touch of cancer'. Like many of my genetic ilk, I'm very fair-skinned and when I had hair it was gingery-reddish - just the sort of breeding ground for skin cancer. After the op I looked like a man who had walked into an operating combiner harvester with both eyes closed, but it's healing up well now, and I no longer frighten the kids.

Mrs tac and I are longtime supporters of the Marie Curie and MacMillan organisations over here, both of whom provide palliative care for cancer sufferers for whom nothing has worked out well. Until they climb on a high horse about treatment, we'll carry on supporting them in our small way, but any organisation that relies on the good will of the general public to raise funds to further their aims and then p*sses in their hats needs to take a good look at themselves.

Advertisement