Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rock on, Rockall! (it's back)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Yeah sure why not, am at fúck all else this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Thid whole story sounds a bit fishy to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,145 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If we or the Scots have any sense we'll leave it to the seagulls... fighting over it? Can't even get a leg over it!

rockall_2003_01.jpg?x=442&y=293&crop=1

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If we or the Scots have any sense we'll leave it to the seagulls... fighting over it? Can't even get a leg over it!

We could try to get some Irish fella to live on it for longer than the British were able to live on it?

Can ye hang on until Killing Eve is over. I can join ye then.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

it's actually about who gets to control the oil, gas, fisheries, airspace and transport corridors, not the rock

janfebmar wrote: »
    We could try to get some Irish fella to live on it for longer than the British were able to live on it?

Any volunteers? If Roy Keane is busy I reckon thats where we bench our two Brexit MEPs!

Nobelium wrote: »
    it's about who gets to control the oil, gas, fisheries, airspace and transport corridors, and nothing to do with the actual rock.

Your facts are not welcome here!

Now back to the seagulls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,424 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do the Scots have a Rockall song?

sorry about that, I constantly forgot boards is allergic to them. :)

Back to more important matters . . .maybe we can distract the scots with deep fried mars bars ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Seán Dublin Bay Rockall Loftus will be spinning in his grave.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Se%C3%A1n_Dublin_Bay_Rockall_Loftus

sorry about that, I constantly forgot boards is allergic to them. :)
    Back to more important matters . . .maybe we can distract the scots with deep fried mars bars ?

That's the After Hours spirit!
    Distract? I think one of them could defo clog up a ship's engine.

M

Could we change our constitution so anyone born on Rockall automatically becomes an Irish citizen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Could we change our constitution so anyone born on Rockall automatically becomes an Irish citizen?

You might have a job convincing expectant mothers to give birth on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

You also need to factor in the Scots have Iron Bru

No worries on that front - they watered down the sugar content a few years back. Deep-fried mars bars could be an issue though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Don't respond. Don't raise an eyebrow.

M

Could we do a reality tv show from it, Big Rockall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Conchir wrote: »
    Saw this on the RTE news story. “The rocky outcrop lies around 230 nautical miles northwest of Donegal and 240 miles west of Scotland.”

230 nautical miles is over 260 miles. A harmless bit of journalism, or intentionally misleading?

can't understand why RTE are stirring the pot on this? STV news had this as their fourth lead story

Could we do a reality tv show from it, Big Rockall.

Eoghan Murphy is already writing the blurb... an exciting co-living opportunity...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

You also need to factor in the Scots have Iron Bru

And Buckfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

We should rebrand that rock shore beer rockall

M

We should rebrand that rock shore beer rockall

Someone already done it :D...

Foroya%20Rockall_zpsz34f9l7c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

steddyeddy wrote: »
    And Buckfast.

Bucky is made in the South of England, but aye the Scots drink a fair wedge of it!

Someone already done it :D...

Foroya%20Rockall_zpsz34f9l7c.jpg

damn even the Australians got in there before us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Most Scots hate us

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

it's actually about who gets to control the oil, gas, fisheries, airspace and transport corridors, not the rock

Don't know why the Irish government give a feck then cause they tend to continually give away oil gas etc from within Ireland's territory.......
    Oh I guess the politician from the controlling country is the a one who gets the large envelope so it's worth fighting for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

archer22 wrote: »
    Actually the Scots were never forced into the union...there was only hundreds of years of back and forth invasions between England and Scotland.
    England invading Scotland, Scotland invading England and so on over and over.

Eventually it was sorted when a Scottish king became king of England...so in that sense it was actually the Scots who took over England.

The history between Scotland and England is very different to the history between Ireland and England.
    Also the English and Scots shared the same religion, which bonded them closer.

They were effectively forced into the union after they bankrupted themselves with the disastrous Darien Project. They tried and failed to set up a colony in a swamp in central America. They couldn't have picked a worse spot. To this day the area remains the final uncompleted section of the Pan-American highway.

England bailed Scotland out in exchange for their sovereignty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

What religion are the seagulls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Atlantic dawn. Your name sake fishing vessel should be brought up and anchored to the rock.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

The more I think about this, the more I think "**** Scotland!".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Irish Navy are ready to invade.

First Rockall, then The Isle Of Man.......Then The World,,,,,, and everything in it.

?width=630&version=3335522

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Irish Navy are ready to invade.

First Rockall, then The Isle Of Man.......Then The World,,,,,, and everything in it.

?width=630&version=3335522

I'd imagine yer man in charge of the navy looking at the news tonight and saying "ah bollix , not now".

I'd imagine yer man in charge of the navy looking at the news tonight and saying "ah bollix , not now".

I bet they're thinking why couldn't it be somewhere nice like Lanzarote.

M

We have Scotland in our opening game of The Rugby World Cup, ROR is a nice tune for the fans to be singing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Is Billy Connoly on our side?

• Advertisement

policarp wrote: »
    Is Billy Connoly on our side?

Good question, I was wondering about that Mel Gibson too , if starts that Braveheart ****e , or be a bit of a row.

One read of the

"Guy in work canteen passes snide remark about my drink" thread on boards, and the Scots will be pissing in their pants
    So the other day when I was having lunch in the canteen, another working noticed what I was drinking and remarked "gee is that sparkling water you're
    drinking there
    ". I knew what he was thinking so I just said "that's right dude" and ignored him, just continuing on talking with the person I'd been chatting to. But he then said "God you're a tough man drinking that" and sort of laughed. He said this as he had a can of pepsi in his hand as he was saying this. I thought to myself, gee I'm aware peer pressure is always present and that people might think this way, but this fella just came right on out and actually said it. I said to him "it's a bit much to be making remarks on another person's choice of drink". It's more like something you'd expect as a young teenager.

I took a look around the table and saw that everyone else was also drinking water (even the coolest guy too!), although theirs wasn't sparkling... it looked like the chlorinated tap water in old bottles. So I said to him "you're going to see a lot of people drinking bottles of water in this life, don't feel the need to make a snide remark towards all of them. He'd nothing really to say to that, but yet I didn't think I'd gotten through to him. A few other things were said that I forget, but towards the end I remember he said "put some ribena into it or something for Christ's sake". At this point in time I said to him "alright don't pick a fight over it, you know you're coming across as a control freak now. I could could see one of the girls at the table was nodding in agreement with me as I said this. But he just smirked arrogantly and looked away. Confident little bully he is.

I was considering saying to him "yeah dude I know what ribena tastes like & I'm aware I've that option, but you can't seem to get you're stupid head around the fact that I prefer to drink sparkling water". I also felt like saying to him that maybe I didn't want to end up fat like he is from all the sh1t he eats. And as you'd probably guess, only a smoker would be self conscious enough to think this way, and yes he's a smoker.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

CZ1b.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Anyone else remember the cod wars?

Iceland trawlers Vs Great Britain trawlers, lots of trawlers getting rammed in the North sea, pluse theatening Icelandic gunboats, add a Royal Navy Frigate into the mix too.....
    mid 1970s I think?
    can't remember who won, or who got the cod, although I suspect it was captain birdseye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I bet they're thinking why couldn't it be somewhere nice like Lanzarote.

Nah its "morally wrong as it's bad for the environment ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Balanadan wrote: »
    We should declare a jihad against Scotland if they threaten our country.
    We have Muslims now to back that up .

SeaFields wrote: »
    We're going to invade and Scotland will be waiting for us but just as England come to help Scotland we join with Scotland and both fight the English!

I seen it in a film.
    This is what the SNP are up to . Get us all stirred up over Rockall . Get us Up and Over , fill us with Whiskey and let us loose on the Sasanachs .

We’ll fall for it too , Coz.......

people have gone to war for less.

count me in.

btw...what rock??
    Dickie even though I saw his “ Act “ 38 years ago and should have gone to war then but didn’t . I did want to annihilate the world though .

M

Anyone else remember the cod wars?

Iceland trawlers Vs Great Britain trawlers, lots of trawlers getting rammed in the North sea, pluse theatening Icelandic gunboats, add a Royal Navy Frigate into the mix too.....
    mid 1970s I think?
    can't remember who won, or who got the cod, although I suspect it was captain birdseye.

Worth a watch for anyone wanting to familiarise themselves with it...

Yeah sure why not, am at fúck all else this evening.
    You’ll be back in time for Cocoa this evening .....mind you thats the kind of thing they always tell you but your not back for years or dead or turned traitor , stuck in Rockall or worse ; In FFG .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Worth a watch for anyone wanting to familiarise themselves with it...

There have been 3 Cod wars. Iceland V UK plus other states.
    And despite facing overwhelming military odds, Iceland won all three cod wars. There has been 1 recorded casualty, On Iceland's side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭CinderKone

Fin Mcool will eat the the loch Ness monster.

CinderKone wrote: »
    Fin Mcool will eat the the loch Ness monster.
    I hope Fin McCool can be located because if Photo Shoot Leo is all we got , we will soon be eating Haggis and drinking Iron Bru .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Scotland better be careful. Our fleet of combat fighter jets have already been scrambled. :pac:

What are they? Sopwith Camel biplanes? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement