Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Not to go too off track, but it's not Conor or Masvidal Usman should be fighting - it's Edwards. Great fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭BSK

Not to go too off track, but it's not Conor or Masvidal Usman should be fighting - it's Edwards. Great fight.

Usman would kill McGregor unfortunately. Masvidal be a good match up. Why is Jorge not calling for the Usman fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Last time Usman and Edwards fought it was completely onesided for Usman. For some reason 2 judges gave round 1 to Edwards because he almost triangled Usman after Usman took him to the ground. Usman and Masvidal is the fight to make, but Masvidal won't fight because he will lose and that will be the end of his recent spotlight.

With that said, McGregor and Edwards would be interesting. Then again, UFC don't care they just want the big money fights and unfortunately for them, the current WW champ isn't that right now unless they have a name like McGregor going into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Masvidal vs Edwards for the BMF title would be a good fight also. Although Edwards is no way a BMF it would just be fun for him to bring the opposite type of personality into the build-up and also considering their history. There is no clear favorite in this fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

EPO and HGH are very, very different.

im aware of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

BSK wrote: »
    Usman would kill McGregor unfortunately. Masvidal be a good match up. Why is Jorge not calling for the Usman fight?

How would Masvidal be a good matchup? A tough veteran whos never really been stopped or even beat up. Extremely skilled in standup and grappling. You can't compare him to anyone Conor has beat recently, they've all been handily beat several times before. Conor got stopped by Diaz and Khabib, who are nowhere near as dangerous as Masvidal and rarely stop opponents, its hard for me to see any other outcome against Masvidal. Theres always a chance Conor could have the fight of his life but unlikely. Personally I think he should fight Poirier or Ferguson next whilst waiting for Justin vs Khabib to play out. They are far more winnable fights imo and make more sense. It would be ridiculous for him to sit out and wait for a title shot at 155, he didn't even weigh in at 155 his last fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

spix wrote: »
    How would Masvidal be a good matchup? A tough veteran whos never really been stopped or even beat up. Extremely skilled in standup and grappling. You can't compare him to anyone Conor has beat recently, they've all been handily beat several times before. Conor got stopped by Diaz and Khabib, who are nowhere near as dangerous as Masvidal and rarely stop opponents, its hard for me to see any other outcome against Masvidal. Theres always a chance Conor could have the fight of his life but unlikely. Personally I think he should fight Poirier or Ferguson next whilst waiting for Justin vs Khabib to play out. They are far more winnable fights imo and make more sense. It would be ridiculous for him to sit out and wait for a title shot at 155, he didn't even weigh in at 155 his last fight.

Masvidal is 7-5 in his last 12 fights, he's very hittable. I think the recency bias is getting a bit OTT, he's basically a glorified Cerrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

He's much tougher than Cerrone though and far more consistent with his performances. He's been really incredibly solid the last few times he fought.

I'd definitely be interested in that fight with McGregor.

I think the main problem for McGregor in a lot of these potential fights is the 5 round distance. Masvidal (and many other) fighters would absolutely kill him if it got into later rounds.

Doff wrote: »
    Masvidal is 7-5 in his last 12 fights, he's very hittable. I think the recency bias is getting a bit OTT, he's basically a glorified Cerrone.

7-5 with 4 split decision losses. He never gets dominated by anyone. He can handle himself against any style fighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

7-5 with 4 split decision losses. He never gets dominated by anyone. He can handle himself against any style fighter.

Lets be honest here. Masvidals last 3 wins are against an anorexic till, a regional fighter in Askren who had the ultimate padded record and the height of all journeymen in Diaz. Masvidal's hype train is more fake than Conor's ever was. Also he was dominated in his last loss against Thompson, it wasn't even close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Hardly fake. He made bits of Diaz, blitzed Till, fastest KO against Askren with a very smart calculated knee, and his losses tend to be well contested, it's rare to see Masvidal get rolled.

OK, Wonderboy bested him in a more dominant fashion, but that happens to best fighters. Masvidal isn't hugely technical but a good solid brawler grappler. I mean Thompson was dominating Pettis until that hail mary punch.

Will he ever be champion? Unlikely of course. But he's a high-level 'gatekeeper', and not one you can ever rule out from a win no matter who he's facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Wonder boy absolutely dominated him

US2 wrote: »
    Wonder boy absolutely dominated him

No he didn't. Masvidal was pressing forward entire round 3, taking a few more punches but Wonderboy was never even close to finishing him. When I say dominated I mean bloodied and bruised, completely dominated. Nobody has done that to Masvidal, he always seems to be still in the fight if it goes the distance. So most likey he would be there the entire fight and Conor has shown he struggles when the fight gets deep. He survived the distance against Diaz the 2nd time around but Diaz isn't the kind of damaging technical puncher that Masvidal is. Would he be able to take Masvidals punches once he starts to get tired?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

No he didn't. Masvidal was pressing forward entire round 3, taking a few more punches but Wonderboy was never even close to finishing him. When I say dominated I mean bloodied and bruised, completely dominated. Nobody has done that to Masvidal, he always seems to be still in the fight if it goes the distance. So most likey he would be there the entire fight and Conor has shown he struggles when the fight gets deep. He survived the distance against Diaz the 2nd time around but Diaz isn't the kind of damaging puncher that Masvidal is. Would he be able to take Masvidals punches once he starts to get tired?

If you dont think wonder boy dominated that fight you need to watch it again

I just did, did you? 3rd round, Masvidal still fully in the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Outclassed, didn't by any means dominate.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,071 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I just did, did you? 3rd round, Masvidal still fully in the fight.

The 3rd round the widest margin for Thompson.
    The first two he landed a few more strikes. Clear but close. The third he landed over twice the amount of strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

McGregor accepts fight with Silva at 176lb
    https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1265995682390904834?s=19

It's just getting silly now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Heard Trevor Witman mocking McGregors "season" as well on JRE.

I do enjoy the Twitter spats he generates though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

It is at a stage where he could say mass, for all the fighters he is "calling out".

• Advertisement

Thinking on it now. He pointed out Silva as the GOAT (hate that term), now sounds like he might well fight him.

Nice play with the marketing and setting it up.

Pity that GSP is the best of all time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Still Ill

He also said he's gonna fight Mayweather again. And some other boxer (De La Hoya?). Gonna take some amount of time to get through all of them considering he fights once every couple of years. Or else it's more probable that he's just talking ****e.

Still Ill wrote: »
    He also said he's gonna fight Mayweather again. And some other boxer (De La Hoya?). Gonna take some amount of time to get through all of them considering he fights once every couple of years. Or else it's more probable that he's just talking ****e.

All this talk and no action, how long will people even be interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Gintonious wrote: »
    All this talk and no action, how long will people even be interested?
    Going by the last few posts, a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor accepts fight with Silva at 176lb
    https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1265995682390904834?s=19

It's just getting silly now

Not a peep when Usman called him out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

xtal191 wrote: »

He knows he'll be mauled by Usman but Usman hasn't made a peep about Leon Edwards despite Edwards calling him out for nearly 6 months straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

xtal191 wrote: »

He always seems to go quiet when the Top Contenders answer his bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,604 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mr. Karate wrote:
    He always seems to go quiet when the Top Contenders answer his bull****.
    Ah sure maybe he should take him n Cormier? Would that suit you? Cormier is 5'11", Usman is 6'.
    Let's not worry about size.
    What would you think if they gave a Cejudo fight to Conor, should we worry about the size difference then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ah sure maybe he should take him n Cormier? Would that suit you? Cormier is 5'11", Usman is 6'.
    Let's not worry about size.
    What would you think if they gave a Cejudo fight to Conor, should we worry about the size difference then?

He had the opportunity to fight in Justin in January. Decided he'd rather fight Cowboy instead. Now he's suddenly itching to fight Justin because he's the interim champion. Where was determination to fighting back in January? He wants title shots but he doesn't want to earn them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Mr. Karate wrote: »

He had the opportunity to fight in Justin in January. Decided he'd rather fight Cowboy instead. Now he's suddenly itching to fight Justin because he's the interim champion. Where was determination to fighting back in January? He wants title shots but he doesn't want to earn them.
    He needed a tune up fight, which he rightly took first.

Can't believe there's still talk of Usman, he's 3" taller, has a 2" reach advantage and a good 20lbs weight advantage, as well as being very, very good. It would be extremely lopsided.

Advertisement