Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

salonfire wrote: »
    ...ineptitude...

:confused: ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just another example of Met Eireann's ineptitude I suppose.

Looking at radar sequence over Donegal between Met Eireann and the Met Office, there is a massive difference.

ME showing very little showers while in reality there are frequent, heavy showers here.

That is just silly, I just looked at the radar on ME and there is nothing up North and as you say on the UK radar there are some pretty heavy showers showing up, why do they not link into the UK radar to give a complete picture as to where the rain is, do the UK link into ME radar.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Storm 10 wrote: »
    That is just silly, I just looked at the radar on ME and there is nothing up North and as you say on the UK radar there are some pretty heavy showers showing up, why do they not link into the UK radar to give a complete picture as to where the rain is, do the UK link into ME radar.

I have no doubt it's down to €€€

DOCARCH wrote: »
    :confused: ?

Yes, ineptitude.

Dunno why you are trying to act confused.

Is there a disclaimer on Met Eireann website stating that coverage in the north is not good and may not reflect the reality on the ground?

No? Then that's ineptitude.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Yes, ineptitude.

Is there a disclaimer on Met Eireann website stating that coverage in the north is not good and may not reflect the reality on the ground?

I made a very mild criticism of ME's refusal to apologise for the very occasional times when they get something spectacularly wrong literally overnight and was assailed here for attacking ME and called "stupid"!

But they are still, IMHO, far better at local (Ireland) forecasting than anyone else.

I am not familiar with the issue of their radar coverage in Donegal but a failure to post a disclaimer would simly put them in the same boat as every other forecaster?

The BBC doesn't issue a disclaimer that "Met Office predictions for minimum temperatures in the Dublin area in Winter are crap" - even though that is certainly the case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Yes, ineptitude.

Eh, this is on the Met.ie radar page:
    At longer ranges, typically over 100km, the accuracy falls off due to the curvature of the Earth. Sometimes the radar will not 'see' rain at long ranges or report rain at high altitudes that does not reach the ground.

ME forecast for Dublin tonight and tomorrow:
    Dry and sunny for the rest of the evening with light variable breezes.

Tonight

Tonight will be dry with light variable breezes becoming light to moderate west to northwest. Lowest temperatures 11 or 12 Celsius.

The forecast graphic shows showers over the city!

Covering all the bases? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,230 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Reading the forecast for Friday Saturday Sunday I come across this -"Coolest in Atlantic coastal regions and over high ground".

-" over high ground" Has the Irish population really got so dull that they need to tell us that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭g0g

This might be relevant for this thread for anyone who didn't see it in the news.
    08 September 2015

As the UK and Ireland’s National Met Services, the Met Office and Met Éireann operate to maintain public safety through severe weather warnings and forecasts. Working together, it is hoped that naming storms will help raise awareness of severe weather and ensure greater safety of the public.

In recent years the naming of wind storms that affected Ireland and the United Kingdom (such as 'Storm Darwin') has highlighted the benefits of establishing a formal system for the naming of mid-latitude storms. As storms moving in from the Atlantic often first make landfall on our shores, Met Éireann and the Met Office will be naming severe storms through the autumn and winter 2015/16.

Gerald Fleming, Head of Forecasting at Met Éireann, said: "It may be a cliche to say that the weather knows no boundaries, but increasingly the same can be said for news. When severe weather threatens National Met Services have the significant challenge - above and beyond the technical forecasting challenge - of bringing coherent and consistent messages to the public, to enable effective action in response. Putting names on severe storms helps the public to immediately relate to threatening weather systems.

"As we share a common interest in North Atlantic storms, it makes sense for Met Éireann in Ireland and the Met Office in the United Kingdom to share a common naming system for severe windstorms. We in the forecast office in Dublin look forward to working with our colleagues at the UK's national forecaster in using this common naming system for severe Atlantic storms, helping us to better communicate impending threats to the peoples of our islands."

Derrick Ryall, Head of the Public Weather Service at the Met Office, added: “The aim of this pilot is to provide a single authoritative naming system for the storms that affect UK and Ireland.

“We have seen how naming storms elsewhere in the world raises awareness of severe weather before it strikes. We hope that naming storms in line with the official severe weather warnings here will do the same and ensure everyone can keep themselves, their property and businesses safe and protected at times of severe weather.”

You can suggest names to Met Éireann via our Facebook page or by emailing customer.liaison@met.ie with the subject name of ‘nameourstorms’ and the suggested name in the email.

The names will be collated and a list compiled to include those proposed by Met Éireann. Storm names will then be taken from this list, in alphabetical order, alternating between male and female names.

A storm will be named when it is deemed to have the potential to cause ‘medium’ or ‘high’ wind impacts on the UK and/or Ireland, i.e. if a yellow, orange or red warning for wind has been issued by Met Éireann and/or the Met Office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

g0g wrote: »
    This might be relevant for this thread for anyone who didn't see it in the news.

I think this is probably the wrong thread for that, but it's interesting news.

EDIT: Moved from Atlantic Storms to Met Eireann Thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The radar appears to have had a revamp. Has anything, of significance, changed.

Discodog wrote: »

The scale has changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Comhrá

The colour codes seem changed. I don't see the yellows or reds anymore though the precip hasn't been very heavy since I noticed the new look.

Any changes to the established colours for the different precip intensity is a tad confusing until we get familiar with the new ones. Was this revamp really necessary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Looks like ME radar repairers don't do weekends. Shannon has been down all weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Looks like ME radar repairers don't do weekends. Shannon has been down all weekend.

Ah sure its high pressure, we won't need it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Maybe they're giving it a rest before the weather breaks and they want it in tip-top shape for the month's rain we're probably going to get after this nice dry spell. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,906 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

site down? having bother loading it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    site down? having bother loading it!

Don't know about earlier this morning but it seems ok now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,906 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Lumi wrote: »
    Don't know about earlier this morning but it seems ok now

cheers. good for me now to. may have been a problem my end but other sites were working fine at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Met Eireann seems to have made a slight upgrade to their TV graphics, mainly the writing and after forecast 5 day summary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A fantastic forecast there from Gerry Murphy on the new look Rte weather , in conjunction with science week every day this week they are going into detail with some of the most often used words in the forecast. Tonight, Gerry explained what exactly a warm and cold front are. he also pointed to some stormy weather in the W/NW thursday as mentioned in the Autumn thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

A fantastic forecast there from Gerry Murphy on the new look Rte weather , in conjunction with science week every day this week they are going into detail with some of the most often used words in the forecast. Tonight, Gerry explained what exactly a warm and cold front are. he also pointed to some stormy weather in the W/NW thursday as mentioned in the Autumn thread

Saw that alright. Have to say that I for one appreciate that occasionally the forecaster might delve into the "technical" aspects of what makes our weather what it is. That to me is no bad thing as it's something that many lay people are very interested in. Well done Gerry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A bit more sciency stuff tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,230 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Really liked the analysis tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭mattser

Way off the mark earlier in the week with this mornings forecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

mattser wrote: »
    Way off the mark earlier in the week with this mornings forecast.

And theres the reason..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Probably the most difficult of all forecast situations; to get the correct timing in a very mobile westerly setup with embedded frontal systems. Which wave depression will develop and where will it begin to deepen etc.

piuswal wrote: »
    Probably the most difficult of all forecast situations; to get the correct timing in a very mobile westerly setup with embedded frontal systems. Which wave depression will develop and where will it begin to deepen etc.

I think it deepened right over my head - 29mm of rain so far today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

The weather forecast after the nine o clock has gone to s***e lately. Rushing through it . They are giving 4 days ahead before the give the coming nights weather. As for tonight's forecast what a joke. Seemed like she couldn't get it done quick enough. Very poor forecast. And I'm not on about the weather. I expected a much better forecast this evening with the bad weather forecast.She was more interested in telling us about the next weather system that is coming. And that's not due till monday

It would appear that we are currently experiencing Storm Desmond.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/severe-weather-alert-as-storm-desmond-slams-into-the-coast-34261066.html

Not a mention of the name in the ME on-line forecasts.

I believe the BBC never used the name "Storm Clodagh".

Is this naming experiment already dead?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I donno but I'm sure that little chap on the BBC Matt Taylor used Clodagh on the tv forecast and he does use the names on twitter, I like him as I can see sligo over his shoulder lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭mattser

Iancar29 wrote: »
    And theres the reason..

As late as Tuesday they were calling it dry on Thursday. 48 hours ? Some reasoning.

mattser wrote: »
    As late as Tuesday they were calling it dry on Thursday. 48 hours ? Some reasoning.

A 10kt error in estimating/calculating the velocity of a developing weather system translates to c 450 km in 24hrs.

Howth Head to Clifden - the width of Ireland, is c 300 km by road.

Have a good luck at some global map and see the size of Ireland relative to various other features such as the North Atlantic etc; it might give some idea of the challenge faced by Forecasters and forecasting systems in timing and pinpointing all weather events, never mind extreme and very mobile events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Anyone noticed Helen Curran's dysphonic voice during recent forecast presentations?

I may upload a vid or two later this week.

Helen Curran is not Met Eireann ;

The Met Eireann Forecasters /Meteorologists are Evelyn Cusack, Gerry Murphy, Jean Byrne and Siobhan Ryan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Helen Curran is not Met Eireann ;

The Met Eireann Forecasters /Meteorologists are Evelyn Cusack, Gerry Murphy, Jean Byrne and Siobhan Ryan.

And Joana Donnelly

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Why is it that Met Eireann's rain radar page only uses Cork & Dublin radars while the UK Met Office integrates Irish radar data into their own?
    There's no kind of bilateral sharing agreement in place? The good people of Donegal aren't deserving of decent radar coverage from their national weather agency??

And Joana Donnelly

I was only referring to those on TV.
    All of the live radio broadcasts are done by Met Eireann meteorologists/forecasters from their HQ in Glasnevin, including Joanna Donnelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

And Joana Donnelly
    I was only referring to those on TV.
    All of the live radio broadcasts are done by Met Eireann meteorologists/forecasters from their HQ in Glasnevin, including Joanna Donnelly.

Didn't see it myself but someone posted a while ago about her having done a TV broadcast recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭tphase

jprboy wrote: »
    Didn't see it myself but someone posted a while ago about her having done a TV broadcast recently
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97933430

• Advertisement

franer1970 wrote: »
    Why is it that Met Eireann's rain radar page only uses Cork & Dublin radars while the UK Met Office integrates Irish radar data into their own?
    There's no kind of bilateral sharing agreement in place? The good people of Donegal aren't deserving of decent radar coverage from their national weather agency??

The radar is at Shannon, not Cork. I have no idea why they don't use it and the UKMO do.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

The radar is at Shannon, not Cork. I have no idea why they don't use it and the UKMO do.

Quite right. A radar at Cork would be even worse for the North West.

Anyway, just hoping someone from ME might see this and realise the error of their ways. ;)

Maybe now is the time to get onto the Dept of Environment about the need for funding a radar in the NW and help with more accurate flood forecasting.

I'm sure Met Eireann would like to have an additional radar but they have no control over the purse strings.

To be fair I don't think Met Eireann come onto Boards to decide their strategies... :-)

To be fair I don't think Met Eireann come onto Boards to decide their strategies... :-)

The new colour scales on the Met Eireann website radar were adjusted after they came onto Boards looking for feedback on the beta version. :p

The new colour scales on the Met Eireann website radar were adjusted after they came onto Boards looking for feedback on the beta version. :p

Ah yes, that's different. Public consultation is one thing, silently reading pages of anonymous ramblings and is another!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I'm sure Met Eireann would like to have an additional radar but they have no control over the purse strings.

A radar in Donegal would be great, but in the meantime, could they not just use the NI radar in the meantime? It does not make sense the the UK Met and 3rd party sites can use radars owned by Met Eireann, but they themselves appear not to have have the rights to use UK Met office radar data. Something doesn't sit right about this arrangement.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Swiftly

They don't have to come on boards to see their radar is crap. They just have to look at their website

Ah sure Donegal can use the Icelandic radar... :-)

• Advertisement

jprboy wrote: »

Your correct. She has been doing some late night broadcasts. It seems the Forecaster/Meteorologist team is being expanded. So, possibly 2 new Met Eireann meteorologists on screen in 2016.

Advertisement