Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Audrey with a hint of tanned cleavage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Out of order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

I watched the weather forecast after the 6 news and I got a shock when I saw the background picture , I kid you not it showed a small harbour getting lashed by huge breaking stormy waves, for f sake we are in the middle of a heatwave and Met Eireann show a stormy picture that they had up during the winter storms, what do they be thinking of they should have showed a beautiful day scene, farmers making hay etc. I give up .

mike65 wrote: »
    Why do they stick up a picture behind the met Wallah so out of sync with weather they are about to forecast?
    Storm 10 wrote: »
    Completely agree it is the most stupid thing I have ever seen, showing stormy weather when we have had enough of it and want Summer now, how could they come up with something like this you could not make it up.,

As a matter of interest he said that the rain would move up across the Country tonight yet behind him the radar was showing the rain slipping away to the South and breaking up, will be interesting to see what happens.
    piuswal wrote: »
    Missed the forecast. What was the picture?
    mike65 wrote: »
    A great big storm tossed wave breaking on the shore. People must have seen it and gone "ah noooo!"
    Aerohead wrote: »
    I watched the weather forecast after the 6 news and I got a shock when I saw the background picture , I kid you not it showed a small harbour getting lashed by huge breaking stormy waves, for f sake we are in the middle of a heatwave and Met Eireann show a stormy picture that they had up during the winter storms, what do they be thinking of they should have showed a beautiful day scene, farmers making hay etc. I give up .

:)

When I saw it at first I said to the wife looks like we are in for a storm !!!!!!

• Advertisement

Met Error suffers cognitive dissonance when it comes to this feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

First thing I thought of was she was going to tell us there's an unexpected storm on the way. In the middle of a heatwave, don't need to b seeing those kind of pics

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

a new one may be up at 2130....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Met Eireann website down :)

Met Error suffers cognitive dissonance when it comes to this feature.

Not Met Eireann, RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Not Met Eireann, RTE.

Who picks the picture? I think it's Met Eireann is in control of what shows up on screen. That includes the regular spelling mistakes when they're trying to make a point. If that is the case, then it is Met Eireann that has the problem with cognitive dissonance.

I'm pretty sure that the only thing RTE does is transmit the Met Eireann forecast, they have no hand, act or part in the presentation.

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    First thing I thought of was she was going to tell us there's an unexpected storm on the way. In the middle of a heatwave, don't need to b seeing those kind of pics

They opening TV Weather graphic is selected as follows;

"There are four weather photo competitions per year run in the RTE Guide - Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter.

There are usually hundreds of entries. A panel in RTE consisting of keen photographers and some corporate and graphics people, judge the entries (you'll notice there is no Met person).

A winner and about 20 other photos are chosen for use on the Weather forecast. The people who's photos have been chosen are contacted and they are given one date when their photo will appear on the Weather forecast. The Met Eireann TV Forecasters are given the list of names and photos and they use the correct photo for the relevant date.

Once the 20 photos have been shown on the correct dates (this takes 20 days) , they are then free to choose any one of the 20 photos from then until the they get the photos from next competition. In this period the choice of photo is completely arbitrary:

- they may choose a photo that matches the expected weather. eg. Crashing waves on a windy day etc.

- A green landscape is usually chosen for the farming forecast.

- they may choose a photo because it compliments what they are wearing.

- the photo may be there from the person before them.

- they may just like a particular photo."

I trust this explains the process - there are 20 days in each quarter in which the Met Forecasters have absolutely no control over the opening scene and for the remainder of the period they have a choice of just 20 photos - none of which may be particularly appropriate as they, the Met Eireann Forecasters, have no role in the selection process.

Jasus, RTE would do well to stay out of it. This is science not arts class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

Jasus, RTE would do well to stay out of it. This is science not arts class.

:D:D

They are the Broadcaster, they decide. Unfortunately science does not come into it as far as they are concerned.

Any idea who "produces" the weather programme for RTE?

Might be worth raising the matter with him or her; then maybe not, would they take any notice of their customers!

They are the Broadcaster, they decide. Unfortunately science does not come into it as far as they are concerned.

Any idea who "produces" the weather programme for RTE?

Might be worth raising the matter with him or her; then maybe not, would they take any notice of their customers!

Well it's done in house and I presume editorally it's basically Met Eireann Decides the content. That's why certain Weather people from time to time can either (depending on your point of view)give us a lecture on how weather is forecasted or rant against people up a mountain in Donegal.

It really does need to be updated. All On screen staff need to be fully trained in presentation. Some of them might have the qualifications to forecast the weather (which is the most important bit) but have been given little training on presentation or making it interesting.

Some retired forecasters had natural charm or presentation skills which covered up the problem. That's not so much the case now.

Well it's done in house and I presume editorally it's basically Met Eireann Decides the content. That's why certain Weather people from time to time can either (depending on your point of view)give us a lecture on how weather is forecasted or rant against people up a mountain in Donegal.

It really does need to be updated. All On screen staff need to be fully trained in presentation. Some of them might have the qualifications to forecast the weather (which is the most important bit) but have been given little training on presentation or making it interesting.

Some retired forecasters had natural charm or presentation skills which covered up the problem. That's not so much the case now.

Met Eireann decides the content apart from the opening slide as already discussed.

The vast majority of people have little or no knowledge of meteorology but have some degree of interest in the weather and I think it is a pity that only one of the Forecasters makes an effort to help us viewers understand what is going on.

I believe that all presenters, Met Eireann forecasters included, have had courses in presentation.

Making it "interesting" is quite a different matter; do you want it interesting from simply a presentational point of view or a science/weather point of view?

"TV" interesting or "Weather" interesting?

Just listened to the ME forecast on radio and he said that Sunday and Monday will be fine with temp 20 to 21 , on the ME website it said rain or showers in Ulster and Connacht and on Monday drizzle in the morning and rain spreading from the Southwest who do I believe.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Missing radar detail tonight from 20.15 - 23.00

• Advertisement

The vast majority of people have little or no knowledge of meteorology but have some degree of interest in the weather and I think it is a pity that only one of the Forecasters makes an effort to help us viewers understand what is going on.

I believe that all presenters, Met Eireann forecasters included, have had courses in presentation.

That's not a very fair comment about the other Forecasters. I think that one forecaster has an agenda of sorts, the rest seem to be trying to do their job. None of them are perfect and some need some real presentation training. You believe that they have had training, I would suggest a refresher course and a basic course in pacing which one or two of them seem have a problem with. There's also an issue with some of them that stumble over a word during the forecast and then appear flustered for the rest of the broadcast. They appear nervous even after years on air.

That's not actually a criticism. The best broadcasters in the world get regular top ups on their training. The RTE forecasters should do the same.

Making it "interesting" is quite a different matter; do you want it interesting from simply a presentational point of view or a science/weather point of view?

"TV" interesting or "Weather" interesting?

You do know it's possible to do both, broadcasters around the world are able to do it, BBC, SVT in Sweden and ARD/ZDF in germany come to mind. On RTE they regularly do neither. Before anyone says anything it has little to do with money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

Aerohead wrote: »
    Just listened to the ME forecast on radio and he said that Sunday and Monday will be fine with temp 20 to 21 , on the ME website it said rain or showers in Ulster and Connacht and on Monday drizzle in the morning and rain spreading from the Southwest who do I believe.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

Sure one of them will be right. Bring a poncho just in case. :p

Anyone catch the 7.55 Am forecast? Can't recall who was forecasting (male, Irish, middle aged voice) but he went all the way to and including Friday - 7 days. That's as far out as I've ever heard someone give it go as far as I can remember.

Anyone catch the 7.55 Am forecast? Can't recall who was forecasting (male, Irish, middle aged voice) but he went all the way to and including Friday - 7 days. That's as far out as I've ever heard someone give it go as far as I can remember.

Heard it this morning remember saying to the other half this will be interesting as I never heard that kind of forecast before

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

You do know it's possible to do both, broadcasters around the world are able to do it, BBC, SVT in Sweden and ARD/ZDF in germany come to mind. On RTE they regularly do neither. Before anyone says anything it has little to do with money.

I agree, esp when RTE are financially funded not only by TV licence revenue but also by a copious - and I would say obscene - amount of advertising. Even the 2 minutes of weather after the news is sponsored by some 'mmmmm, stuff your face with more cream' promo.

Having said that, I still don't get what the big deal is with the photo at the start of a weather broadcast. If they showed a blue sky image to prelude a blue sky forecast, then what would be the point of the forecast? Surely the point of the opening image is to showcase all aspects of Irish weather and not just ones that fit safely in with a 'good' forecast? I do recall seeing plenty of unrelated, sunny blue sky images shown at the opening of RTE weather forecasts during the height of the many stormy spells last winter, but this, for some reason, would probably be seen as being more OK.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tphase

there's a bug in the short-range forecast plot on the ME website. The timestamp in the upper right of the plot is 6 hours behind the time indicated by the slider under the plot. I presume the slider is correct...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The 7,55 am forecast on Radio 1 ALWAYS covers a longer time frame then the normal TV forecasts.

Works well I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

No forecast for Sunday on the latest Met.ie forecast issued at 21.51 on Aug 29.

Skips from Saturday night to Monday.

• Advertisement

Yes, sent message to forecasts@met.ie.
    Interesting to see how long they take to respond.

Advertisement