Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

1191192193194195197»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

pigtail33 wrote: »
    I just heard on Today FM that the Brown Thomas Christmas shop is opening today!!!
    What a way to celebrate double digits!

Going to miss that today. Always go in on the first day and buy a tree ornament but I’m away for a few days so it’ll probably be Sunday before I get there. Still, I’m looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Going to miss that today. Always go in on the first day and buy a tree ornament but I’m away for a few days so it’ll probably be Sunday before I get there. Still, I’m looking forward to it.

Most likely have to head to town to get a flu jab (long story) so will probably pop in for a look. Might be the only time I'm in town before Christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Our new office is a lot closer to Grafton street than the old one, far corner of Stephens green in fact, so must take a trip down some lunchtime for a look.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Whoever does make it in to Brown Thomas, don't forget to take some pictures!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,810 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I just typed Christmas into the Brown Thomas website and good a good enough selection!

https://www.brownthomas.com/search/?q=Christmas+&lang=default

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I still remember in the late 90s BT opened their Christmas Shop in mid-September and I was amazed (in a good way!) coming from abroad where the Christmas merchandise used to arrive later in the year.
    At that time the BT Christmas Shop was in separate standalone location still in Grafton Str. , I think that later was taken by BT 2 (it is years since I have been to Dublin - so my recollection might not be perfect)

Got our first Halloween Brack.
    119617778_2743456875976916_404518728472821401_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=RGU-UXoJDsMAX9yD3gM&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=cdcb3b8e989c35947e4468281a982b6b&oe=5F8B2ADC

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

pigtail33 wrote: »
    Whoever does make it in to Brown Thomas, don't forget to take some pictures!

Here's a video lifted from Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFO3EtenjDs/?igshid=1qew6jnib69jv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Cork Lass wrote: »

I asked them on Twitter 2 weeks ago when the shop would be open and they said the end of the month. I had a feeling it would be today, but I thought due to the current situation.... my little tradition of being there on day one gone.... :confused:

• Advertisement

Been in touch with Christmas Island to see what the story is with their Santa experience this year. No word back and their website is not allowing any bookings. Had it booked and all this time last year :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

otnomart wrote: »
    I still remember in the late 90s BT opened their Christmas Shop in mid-September and I was amazed (in a good way!) coming from abroad where the Christmas merchandise used to arrive later in the year.
    At that time the BT Christmas Shop was in separate standalone location still in Grafton Str. , I think that later was taken by BT 2 (it is years since I have been to Dublin - so my recollection might not be perfect)

That shop is now Victoria's Secret underwear :D I'm sure they have some Christmas themed products as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Some people here may be interested in this

https://zoomparty.ie/zoomsanta/

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Shirlywhirl

https://lovindublin.com/dublin/mistletown-christmas-festival-to-be-held-at-dublin-city-fruit-and-veg-market-this-year

Fingers and toes crossed that the above goes ahead!Had plans to go to Germany again for a Christmas market..would love to still get to one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

https://lovindublin.com/dublin/mistletown-christmas-festival-to-be-held-at-dublin-city-fruit-and-veg-market-this-year

Fingers and toes crossed that the above goes ahead!Had plans to go to Germany again for a Christmas market..would love to still get to one!

Love Christmas markets myself - this year it is all up in the air - some Cities have already cancelled, while others are still planning theirs to go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I reckon the Centerparcs Christmas experience will be hugely popular this year.

Visited last year and it was very well run and should be easily adaptable to social distancing.

If you’ve kids, I’d very much recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Even the Christmas UK site which normally follows all the markets has said they're unlikely to do so this year due to the potential for cancellation, such a shame so much is completely up in the air. Normally we'd have our christmas events booked by now & this year we have absolutely nothing at all lined up, even the school has said they'll not be doing their traditional carols night with the choir which we'll really miss. Just have to make the most of it ourselves by the looks of it. Plenty of films, music, decorations & treats methinks.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

The Galway Christmas Market, which would be local enough to me, is planning on going ahead, so far anyway. I don't think I'll be able to venture in if it does go ahead, unless I manage to find a very quiet day :)

https://www.galwaytourism.ie/event/galway-christmas-market/

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Shirlywhirl

I did spot the Galway one was going ahead alright. I suppose like everything else now its just a lot of having to wait and see what happens! Not being able to plan things is hard. We tried planning a weekend away but now it looks like we'll have to cancel those plans with Dublin lockdown looming :rolleyes: I'm thinking come the middle of November my lights and tree will be up because I'll need something nice to look at :D

DvB wrote: »
    Even the Christmas UK site which normally follows all the markets has said they're unlikely to do so this year due to the potential for cancellation, such a shame so much is completely up in the air. Normally we'd have our christmas events booked by now & this year we have absolutely nothing at all lined up, even the school has said they'll not be doing their traditional carols night with the choir which we'll really miss. Just have to make the most of it ourselves by the looks of it. Plenty of films, music, decorations & treats methinks.

As I said a few post above, we had our main one (us & extended family) booked and all this time last year. Not even sure if it's open this year :(

We are do Arnotts, just the 5 of us, however will no ticket and queuing up I am not sure that is going to work this year :(

DvB wrote: »

As I said a few posts above, we had our main one (us & extended family) booked and all this time last year. Not even sure if it's open this year :(

We are do Arnotts, just the 5 of us, however will no ticket and queuing up I am not sure that is going to work this year :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Was talking to a Manager in big store today. Hes been told by owners No Santa Grotto Visits this year. I feel for smallies.....

Was talking to a Manager in big store today. Hes been told by owners No Santa Grotto Visits this year. I feel for smallies.....

:(

There’s a Dealz opening near me and people are so excited about it. One woman said to me Today ‘’it’s almost like Christmas.’’
    I think it’s one of those years.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Frankie19

I have centre parcs booked end of Nov as I couldn't get a weekend in December as it was booked out but the christmas experience starts early Nov.. Also have Santa express in Kildare booked for the 20th of December a bit closer to Christmas in the hope we get to at least one of them. We usually go to Causey farm but they can't make their mind up on if its going ahead or not this year.

Booked the Halloween event at clonfert pet farm in maynooth today as we go every year for the pumpkin picking. So it feels like we have some normality for the festivities this year.

Batgurl wrote: »
    I reckon the Centerparcs Christmas experience will be hugely popular this year.

Visited last year and it was very well run and should be easily adaptable to social distancing.

If you’ve kids, I’d very much recommend it.

Have it booked myself for end of November with friends and their kids. Really looking forward to it. Just waiting on them to announce the activities they can do with social distancing e.t.c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,541 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Santas House Express has ads on, so they are at least solidly intending to run. Hard restrictions in Kildare would stop that of course

We're meant to go to my partners parents this year, but with one in their late 70s I'm thinking there's a very high chance it'll be a rapid present drop-off only. Will have to find out where my parents are this year - its been over a decade since they "hosted" - and prepare them for two potential late additions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Was talking to a lad in work during the week and he has booked a trip to Lapland for his family and they are open for business this year.
    Apparently they have built tunnels over there for the visitors to go through to keep separation. He said they have to open because the Christmas trips is their income for the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭antimatterx

It's starting to really feel like autumn today. It's really cold outside. Although my weather app says 14C which i don't believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PaulT21

It's starting to really feel like autumn today. It's really cold outside. Although my weather app says 14C which i don't believe.

Glorious day in Donegal today. Had a wee look at the Halloween stock:eek: in one of the Homestore & More shops. Will not be that long now to those decorations come out of the attic :) and after that, the excitement will start top build for the main event:D:D

Quiet on here today. Hope everyone has a great evening:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Glorious day in Donegal today. Had a wee look at the Halloween stock:eek: in one of the Homestore & More shops. Will not be that long now to those decorations come out of the attic :) and after that, the excitement will start top build for the main event:D:D

Quiet on here today. Hope everyone has a great evening:pac:

Very quiet in here today. Kicking back enjoying the weekend with Some strictly, BGT and treats :D

Loughc wrote: »
    Very quiet in here today. Kicking back enjoying the weekend with Some strictly, BGT and treats :D

Netflix, hot chocolate, and cookies over here :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Was talking to a lad in work during the week and he has booked a trip to Lapland for his family and they are open for business this year.
    Apparently they have built tunnels over there for the visitors to go through to keep separation. He said they have to open because the Christmas trips is their income for the year.

Looked at these over the years but need to win the lottery for the four of us to go :(

https://www.sunway.ie/lapland/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Went in late yesterday evening before Lockdown..... so far, much the same as past years but still a thrill to see it.

washiskin wrote: »
    Went in late yesterday evening before Lockdown..... so far, much the same as past years but still a thrill to see it.

Oooh that pic gave me goosebumps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

That's great to see, and quite lovely. I want it.

I have just takend off the last two days of November, I had to take the leave or I would loose it. I plan on decorating whilst the OH is at work. God knows how I will do it with a small elf with me. I will also ony be doing the items which my OH doesn't like to do. Up ladders hanging outside lights etc. Its going to fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Winterval Christmas Festival still going ahead in Waterford.

http://winterval.ie/

More for Halloween but I was in a homestore and more earlier looking at Halloween decorations. Manager came over and said if I could hold off till Wednesday they were all going half price.

119863739_3516661001732590_3926216697900547343_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=SfhNs0Xg9HAAX_lrVB7&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=f0ab63fd40ab8740a868a6710039dfb5&oe=5F8EA684

• Advertisement

119863739_3516661001732590_3926216697900547343_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=SfhNs0Xg9HAAX_lrVB7&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=f0ab63fd40ab8740a868a6710039dfb5&oe=5F8EA684

Sorry but do people actually make these? I'd have it all eaten :D

I think it's new this year. You'll probably see it in supermarkets. They did a chocolate house in the past for Christmas.

Same here there wouldn’t be enough pieces Left to fly :D

I bought a bar of Areo on Friday and realised it was a Festive Edition!
    119629367_2746246782364592_7140641994546989150_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=mhPe47cXJ_0AX9C-I83&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=50385fdf741d7eebb82436fa5167da42&oe=5F8C7A99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

^Did you check the date,probably from last year^ :)

Yep the date on the aero is good!

Also, I just saw a pop up ad for DPD looking for driver fro Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Oh my god, that sleigh!!! I must have it. A lad in work had his first kid and decided to hand out bags of sweets to everyone in the office. Its a thing here, when its your birthday you buy stuff, come back from leave and you better bring in chocolates/sweets. Weird but nice. Anyway the bags had QS in them!!

I also have to make a standing apology, my sentence structure and typing are a mess. The last post has 'takend' instead of "taken" in it. Though the majority of my work is writing, and ensuring what I write is factually correct, I am smashing out these posts as quickly as possible firstly as I am busy, secondly my screen is visible for all to see, thirdly I tend to frown when we have tight deadlines and someone is on the sports pages*, so I don't want to be a hypocrite. (*Checking scores the odd time is grand, sitting there for a prolonged period when the deliverable people are waiting on will mean others need to work late or weekends is not. I don't like being a grown up)

New chat thread set up, name to be edited :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058115433

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement