Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

who_me wrote: »
    Yikes. Good luck with that. Any more than 4 and they normally look at you funny..

yeah i lovvve ORSO but you would be v v lucky to get a table within an hr for 4 never mind 7.. i only go there as a party of 2 or 3 max.. otherwise getting a table in a decent timeframe could be v problematic - or impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

Any reports on the new pizza place opened on princess st ?
    https://www.oakfirepizza.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

whatever76 wrote: »
    Any reports on the new pizza place opened on princess st ?
    https://www.oakfirepizza.ie/

Yeah I went there last week. Pizza is very good, beeR selection decent also. I found the side options a little lacking, a chicken option would have been good. Service was a little too casual for a sit down but overall I'd go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Mardyke wrote: »
    Did you complain and ask for a discount on the night?

If not, maybe send them a formal complaint by email afterwards?

Failing all that, no harm slating them online.

I did the first two after a horrendous experience at Cornmarket. After getting no reaction from them I went online. All of sudden my phone was ringing with the Muppet of a manager whining to me. They offered a free meal then. I said no thanks!!

I did, but as I said it was our anniversary she didn't want me making a scene.

Left a bad trip advisor review, no reply.

I've learned if you do want a response from a business, call them out on twitter, they'll waste no time answering you.

rob316 wrote: »
    I did, but as I said it was our anniversary she didn't want me making a scene.

Left a bad trip advisor review, no reply.

I've learned if you do want a response from a business, call them out on twitter, they'll waste no time answering you.

i find that if i don't think it appropriate to say something at the time, then best to get the name of the manager and email them.. i have done this on two occasions and it has been appreciated and treated well as a result

its only fair to give them the chance to make amends - even if its after the event

lots can go wrong - management may not be aware of mistakes..

i don't think its fair to go straight to social media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

sporina wrote: »
    i find that if i don't think it appropriate to say something at the time, then best to get the name of the manager and email them.. i have done this on two occasions and it has been appreciated and treated well as a result

its only fair to give them the chance to make amends - even if its after the event

lots can go wrong - management may not be aware of mistakes..

i don't think its fair to go straight to social media

I ended up in a restaurant last week that gets slated here a bit, the service was absolutely shocking. I complained when paying the bill and was pretty much told to fcuk off. I emailed them Sunday and got no reply. Some places just don't care. I'm gonna give them a week to reply before I call them out on social media.
    I'll leave a proper review here too.

.red. wrote: »
    I ended up in a restaurant last week that gets slated here a bit, the service was absolutely shocking. I complained when paying the bill and was pretty much told to fcuk off. I emailed them Sunday and got no reply. Some places just don't care. I'm gonna give them a week to reply before I call them out on social media.

oh thats v bad form - did you ask to speak to the manager? or did you get contact details for a manager? Its best to have a contact.

although some places have v bad management - had an atrocious experience in Clancy's a few years ago... long story - for another day... but mgmt didn't give a toss.. they were actually rude about it.. no wonder they are gone belly up...

but on a whole, I think its only fair to give an establishment the benefit of doubt or a chance to make amends.. its a learning curve for them too.. well, if they are professional about it.. i am a believe in constructive criticism and it has worked for me in other industries too..

i don't like to name places where issues have been resolved..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

rob316 wrote: »
    I'd give everywhere a 2nd chance but not here no way.

Wait time was nearly 1.5 hours between starter and main. Not one apology, just kept telling me it was on the way, after an hour they realized the waiter never put through our mains. If I had been there with anyone else than my wife I would of flat out refused to pay.

They didn't offer me a discount for the appalling service or even send over a bottle of wine.

I paid 50 euro a head, you expect so much better for that.
    Your patient,Id have walked after 30 mins.

Paid and leaved obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Any clues as to which restaurant this is

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Any clues as to which restaurant this is

Im not going to mention them by name due to the managers reaction.
    He made contact and rang me. He was all apologies and offered no excuses. Just a hands in the air apology and offered a refund or a voucher. I accepted his apology and told him to send a voucher and I'll give them another go.

Mistakes happen, I always reckon it's how the mistake is dealt with and I was happy(eventually) with the response. Don't think it would be fair to name and shame them after accepting the apology and voucher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Does it rhyme with ornstore or oqbull?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Checked tripadvisor and not seeing anything negative in the last while for them, was convinced it was Rachels for a minute :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

:D:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Any recommendations for a pub that does a decent sandwich and a pint?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Any recommendations for a pub that does a decent sandwich and a pint?

Long valley

Im not going to mention them by name due to the managers reaction.
    He made contact and rang me. He was all apologies and offered no excuses. Just a hands in the air apology and offered a refund or a voucher. I accepted his apology and told him to send a voucher and I'll give them another go.

Mistakes happen, I always reckon it's how the mistake is dealt with and I was happy(eventually) with the response. Don't think it would be fair to name and shame them after accepting the apology and voucher.

I had a fairly bang average meal in spitjack before, left a review on FB as I asked for the manager in the restaurant at the time but there was no one available. Owner messaged me telling me they need to be doing better and will and invited me and a guest in for dinner, I never actually went back (just never got around to it) but it was a nice gesture and response and I felt he appreciated my custom and opinion.

I took down the review but he was actually pleased to be getting honest feedback as he said too many people just go "Ya its grand" and never come back and talk to there people about the place negatively.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

I won't name the restaurant, I wasn't there, but have every faith in person who was and told me this.
    Prominent business person took staff to a well-known city centre restaurant where prices are stiff enough, business person footed the bill.
    Between the meal and drinks, serious money lashed out. Food was top class, but all present were disgusted by the behaviour of the staff, snooty throughout and culminating in the table being roared at by the manager who wanted the table back after two hours. Now, all present knew of the arrangement, but am told the shouting began ten minutes before the two hours were up and they felt like chastened puppies as they were hounded out. I understand that there was no tip left.
    Never again, they said and already one of those present on the night has cancelled a new year's booking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,114 ✭✭✭✭Water John

He's a lovely fella takashi talked to him a few times when he first opened the takeaway. His wife too very warm and friendly delighted they are having such success.

I won't name the restaurant, I wasn't there, but have every faith in person who was and told me this.
    Prominent business person took staff to a well-known city centre restaurant where prices are stiff enough, business person footed the bill.
    Between the meal and drinks, serious money lashed out. Food was top class, but all present were disgusted by the behaviour of the staff, snooty throughout and culminating in the table being roared at by the manager who wanted the table back after two hours. Now, all present knew of the arrangement, but am told the shouting began ten minutes before the two hours were up and they felt like chastened puppies as they were hounded out. I understand that there was no tip left.
    Never again, they said and already one of those present on the night has cancelled a new year's booking there.
    It's nothing personal here just an observation, but if I'm coming here to read recommendations or general experiences of restaurants, then I think they should be named. I don't know what I'm to derive from this post other than there's a restaurant in town who treat groups badly, in which case I'd like to avoid them.

Similarly with a previous poster who ended up having a good response from management - I wouldn't mind knowing who is in charge of that restaurant and the restaurant in question.

Each to their own I guess, it's your choice but I think adding anonymity doesn't help any people who read this thread regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

If ye are not going to name the restaurants what’s the point in this thread then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Cotts72

fin12 wrote: »
    If ye are not going to name the restaurants what’s the point in this thread then?

Agreed, juat sets ppl up for potential similar complaints... Replace a letter in the name.. . Abbreviate etc

I was going to name them if I got a bad response from them.
    I ended up on the phone to the manager who seemed genuinely shocked at what I told him.
    The food we got was all good, it was the waiting times, poor service and reaction when I complained I had the issue with. He assured me it wouldn't happen again and offered a full refund or a voucher to the same amount(which I took). I've been in there plenty of times before, once in a group of about 15/16ish and the service was always good.
    Personally I'd feel like a bit of a hypocrite accepting an apology and a voucher for €75 and then slating them by name on a public forum.
    When I do go back, if it's bad again I won't hesitate.

in response to the previous posts, i won't name a restaurant where issues have been resolved.. that just feels wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

The reason I haven't named the restaurant is that I wasn't there and so would not be in a position to discuss minutae of the experience. However, I have complete confidence in the person who told me about it.
    I intended , in a general way, to shed some light on the issue of service standards in restaurants no matter how good the food is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Not a restaurant but was in Dulce bun house there on Oliver Plunkett street

Loved it there, and staff were so nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Rfrip wrote: »
    Not a restaurant but was in Dulce bun house there on Oliver Plunkett street

Loved it there, and staff were so nice!

One that I've walked past many times when on the street - must really pop in and try it soon!

Had West Cork Burger last night - delish! Had the Chicken burger, chips are lovely (twice cooked!) and prices reasonable enough, around €15 incl. a soft drink and chips with your burger.

Must go back and try their Wagyu beef next time around!

sporina wrote: »
    in response to the previous posts, i won't name a restaurant where issues have been resolved.. that just feels wrong..
    It's personal preference and I respect that for what it's worth, I think it's something that the mods could clear up? If it's not a recommendation or an open review of a restaurant, then really what's the point in it on this thread as it teaches me nothing and only serves to perk my interest and lead to speculation about other establishments.

Anyway, I think I've derailed things enough, apologies.

Ate in Coqbull this evening and was lovely, wasn't too stuffed coming out of there and the burger I had was manageable and delicious without being messy. Really, really want to go back to Bunsen too as I've only been there twice and that's well over a year ago. Burger season is upon me it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone have food in the Thomand Bar? I’ve been there before a few times but only ever had drinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Anyone have food in the Thomand Bar? I’ve been there before a few times but only ever had drinks.

Good pub grub, big portion for a reasonable price.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement