Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

bazz26 wrote: »
    You brought finance into the conversation about 0% to begin with when saying 45k was expensive for a year old one and then compared it against 6.9% on HP from a bank. Where are you seeing a 2019 Golf R on 0% finance?

Book value again is irrelevant to an average punter, where are you buying a 191 Golf R for 37k? The cheapest one I can see is asking 44k, are you saying they would take close to 37k for it? How much were both cars when new last year?

You seem to be using extreme examples in making your point that the car is expensive but yet I don't see any real world examples to support that.

Although I’d love a Golf R I’m not in market for one now and could very well be wrong thinking 45k for a 18 month old obsolete model is too expensive.

I tried to make a point re car prices that VW group and other distributors have increased rrp’s of cars to help pay for the low rate they offer - case in point was the large increase in price for the new Golf coupled with 0% interest offered - something generally never offered on a brand new model. This finance has to be paid for and is a considerable cost. I dont think it’s too extreme to use a 6.9% interest rate to compare against as it about the lowest any bank will offer.

VW sell majority of their new cars on PCP. Dealers have said to me the avg deposit is 15% so with many of their cars now retailing over 50K, it’s quite common people are financing well over 40k. Most people go again with another PCP rather than refinance. Financing 40k over three years is a big cost that VW have built into their pricing.

Generally with VW cars, the trade in value is far above the GMV so most people finishing PCP in a GTI will have equity towards the next car.

VW still list the Golf R on their website so forgive me for not knowing their current stock levels and presuming they could sell a car they are still advertising

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭theintern

Gents, seriously considering bringing this in from abroad. Love the spec, condition and especially the colour. Could you lend your expertise and offer any advice regarding the car itself? All in, it would work out at approximately €20k and I think to get the same car here it would be at least €2/3k more. Lack of a warranty seems to be the biggest impediment in importing to my mind at least.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202003138390202?model=GOLF&sort=price-asc&price-to=15000&aggregatedTrim=GTI&radius=1500&quantity-of-doors=5&make=VOLKSWAGEN&year-from=2015&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&postcode=bt71nn&advertising-location=at_cars&page=3

The only thing that sticks out to me is it's MIB1 and not MIB2, so you won't get Android Auto/Apple Carplay, and it's a smaller screen. Might not be a big deal to you, but it would have been for me.

Doesn't have nav either, so you'd have no nav at all. The VW nav is pretty poor anyway, so you might be planning to use your phone anyway.

Apart from that looks like a lovely spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I think if I was going for one in the UK, I'd try to source one in the main dealer network. It would give me a bit more peace of mind. Have a look at the stock "GTI World" in Edinburgh advertise - they often have lovely stuff. But that said, not sure if any "Das Welt" type warranty offered by a UK dealer would be any use here?

It does look an OK spec, but that first-generation MIB unit isn't great alright. The screen is low-res and its a bit laggy to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Have we all seen the new Arteon Shooting Brake R? :O

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/volkswagen/arteon/

db2020au00970.jpg?itok=wSXmgEsL

arteon_050.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Casati wrote: »
    Although I’d love a Golf R I’m not in market for one now and could very well be wrong thinking 45k for a 18 month old obsolete model is too expensive.

I tried to make a point re car prices that VW group and other distributors have increased rrp’s of cars to help pay for the low rate they offer - case in point was the large increase in price for the new Golf coupled with 0% interest offered - something generally never offered on a brand new model. This finance has to be paid for and is a considerable cost. I dont think it’s too extreme to use a 6.9% interest rate to compare against as it about the lowest any bank will offer.

VW sell majority of their new cars on PCP. Dealers have said to me the avg deposit is 15% so with many of their cars now retailing over 50K, it’s quite common people are financing well over 40k. Most people go again with another PCP rather than refinance. Financing 40k over three years is a big cost that VW have built into their pricing.

Generally with VW cars, the trade in value is far above the GMV so most people finishing PCP in a GTI will have equity towards the next car.

VW still list the Golf R on their website so forgive me for not knowing their current stock levels and presuming they could sell a car they are still advertising

Well it's sold now so someone didn't see it as overpriced. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

The Arteon R Shooting Brake is possibly one of the nicest cars I've seen in quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Loving the shooting brake.
    What we thinking? 70k?

I'd say it will be well north of 70k if they even bother to bring it here. The T Roc R is 60k here as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Casati wrote: »
    Will they get anything close to 45k though? Seems mad money. New prices have gone up but one key advantage is the 0% finance. Bank interest at 6.9% on 45k over 3 years is about 10k

er, no it's not.

€45k @ 8.8% APR from PTSB over 3 years will cost you €6,139 in interest.

TAP ends up € 51,139

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I'd say it will be well north of 70k if they even bother to bring it here. The T Roc R is 60k here as it is.

If it turns out to be north of €70k, that dangerously close to the M340i Touring and I know which one I'd take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

That Arteon R is stunning. But as Bazz said, it'll be mental money here, if indeed they do bother to import it. If they do, it'll be like the T-Roc R. A very rare sight. They might sell a handful along with a press car.

The Arteon hasn't caught on here since launch. Its a great looking car but its expensive. A diesel R-Line is up on 50k as it is and it needs the R-Line spec. The market for large saloons (BMW/Audi aside) has diminished greatly in favour of the likes of appliances like the Hyundai Tuscon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Like when I eqnuired about the S4 diesel Avant, they didn't think they were getting any in as the vrt was making the price redicilous. They got one in anyway and the price is redicilous, probably the same fate for this car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Audi made some fùck up with the new S models. Who in their right mind would buy a diesel car with 4 fake exhausts to make it look like a sporty petrol model...mind boggling from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Wailin wrote: »
    Audi made some fùck up with the new S models. Who in their right mind would buy a diesel car with 4 fake exhausts to make it look like a sporty petrol model...mind boggling from them.

You'd be surprised... Especially in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

No reason not to bring in an Arteon R if they brought in the ridiculous T-Roc R which is €53k, I'd be very surprised if the T-Roc R sold more than single digit numbers.

That Arteon looks very nice, i don't think the Arteon has ever been sold as petrol here.

It has - 1.5 litre with 150bhp and 2.0 litre with 190bhp. Our punitive taxes mean we don't get the decent engines.

It has - 1.5 litre with 150bhp and 2.0 litre with 190bhp. Our punitive taxes mean we don't get the decent engines.

I guess it's just not on the configurator then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Wailin wrote: »

Over €76k for a diesel S4... mother of god :eek:

• Advertisement

The configurator isn't the most accurate at times but it's also possible that they have deleted the petrol models from the lineup now due to poor demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

I test drove a 2.0TSI 190bhp DSG Arteon. A few months before buying my GTI. I really liked the car and engine felt quick enough for the kind of car it is really. What really put me of it is the cost of buying them but more so I’d worry they just won’t hold their value. But I really like the look of the Arteon. The cabin is nice and spacious and feels well put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

CIP4 wrote: »
    I test drove a 2.0TSI 190bhp DSG Arteon. A few months before buying my GTI. I really liked the car and engine felt quick enough for the kind of car it is really. What really put me of it is the cost of buying them but more so I’d worry they just won’t hold their value. But I really like the look of the Arteon. The cabin is nice and spacious and feels well put together.

It's a nice-looking car but it really needs a more premium interior, not just the same one as the Passat. I think the Arteon will go the same way as the Phaeton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Loving the shooting brake.
    What we thinking? 70k?

Yep the guys on Complete Car were estimating around 70k. Could be a nice import from the UK in a couple of years. As others mentioned though at that price you are getting into premium car territory like the 340i, Volvo V60 T8 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

Back to technical talk lads!

What's my options for getting AA on a MIB1 GTD? Its a 2015

Upgrading to a MIB2 is mental money.

Has anyone seen any creative solutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

CGI_3 wrote: »
    Back to technical talk lads!

What's my options for getting AA on a MIB1 GTD? Its a 2015

Upgrading to a MIB2 is mental money.

Has anyone seen any creative solutions?
    aftermarket or maybe one of those Chinese vm rcd 330s would work.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    aftermarket or maybe one of those Chinese vm rcd 330s would work.

Yeah I looked at those Chinese VW units alright when I was upgrading the headunit in my 07 Caddy. A bit hit and miss. Like for instance they have blue tooth built in, whereas mib1 has it seperate. Few other things as well, not all rcd330's were the same. Some had it AA and carplay, some not. It depended on the manufacturer of the headunit.

I ended up putting an Android head unit in the van for a finish.

I have a full 8" MIBII retrofit kit that I never put into my own GTI before selling that I need to shift now I'm back in Dublin for a while. Includes everything anyone would need, you'd only have to get it coded to your card to unlock everything.

If anyone would be interested, fire me a message. Although just to clarify, given the parts that come with it (GTI bezel surround included), I wouldn't be looking at posting it as I'd be afraid something would happen to it, so it would be collection only.

dar83 wrote: »
    I have a full 8" MIBII retrofit kit that I never put into my own GTI before selling that I need to shift now I'm back in Dublin for a while. Includes everything anyone would need, you'd only have to get it coded to your card to unlock everything.

If anyone would be interested, fire me a message. Although just to clarify, given the parts that come with it (GTI bezel surround included), I wouldn't be looking at posting it as I'd be afraid something would happen to it, so it would be collection only.

Have you a link to details about it?

If it's parts from another car, how was component protection sorted?

• Advertisement

CGI_3 wrote: »
    Have you a link to details about it?

If it's parts from another car, how was component protection sorted?

I've not advertised it anywhere yet to be honest. I had held it for a friend who was going to buy it, but COVID kinda ruined that for him. I was out of the country until last weekend so it was just sitting at home all that time, so you just reminded me I need to sort it out. :D

It came from Vagtec and was coded to a GTD, so the protection and everything is already gone off it. Basically just needs to be coded to a new car and it's good to go.

PM me if you want more info.

Advertisement