Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭theintern

There's one thing that mildly annoys me about the MK7.

The buttons around the gear stick are so clearly designed for LHD cars.

The more frequently used ones are over on the left, for easier access for LHD users, and we then have to reach around the gear stick to change drive mode.

Also I don't think I've ever ever seen a car that didn't have at least one blank switch on the right hand side, whereas most of the time, the left hand buttons are all filled in. Blank switches never look good. I think the blanks are for a TPMS reset button and the auto park feature?

Such a minor minor niggle, but something you do notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Hi folks new to the GTI search and stumbled upon this, which to me seems very good value with very low mileage. The only dodgy thing I can spot simply from the photographs is that the "I" from GTI is missing from the drivers door wing. Anyone have any thoughts on it or any dealings with the garage?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2016-vw-golf-gti/25086657

Car was written off as a Cat N in the UK in October 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

DaveyDave wrote: »
    That didn't take long! I said it before, I'm not a fan of black but the Cupra looks savage in it. Really suits with the bronze accents. They're a lovely looking car in person.

Regarding scuffing the alloys, if the Continentals on the car don't have rim protection, the Pilot Sport 4 does. Something to keep in mind when you've burned through the first set :D

Nice one thanks for that! A crowd down here in Cork do 'rim savers'. Like a bit of plastic that goes around the rim of the alloy. Are these any good I wonder, has anyone any experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

If it's polished right up to the edge you might get the kind of damage you're trying to avoid just having them over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Nice one thanks for that! A crowd down here in Cork do 'rim savers'. Like a bit of plastic that goes around the rim of the alloy. Are these any good I wonder, has anyone any experience?

There looks to be fairly decent rim protection on the Continentals already, no? I haven’t marked mine yet anyway...

516891.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭TheBetsy

Hi guys, new to the thread here. Just wondering if I could get yere opinion on something. Have decided on getting a GTD and narrowed the options down to 2, but ones a mk7 and the other a mk7.5. The mk7 has some extras I like eg Dynaudio, DSG and the sport and sound pack. I know the 7.5 it has the updated bumpers, lights dash and infotainment system but is there anything else ye think I should take in account?

Thanks a mill

MK7
    ww.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202003148421597?fromSavedAds=true&advertising-location=at_cars

Mk 7.5
    ww.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202001176295696?fromSavedAds=true&advertising-location=at_cars

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

According to the free MOT checker website - www.check-mot.service.gov.uk the mileage on the white one wasn't readable at the time of the MOT. That would make me very wary.

I prefer the blue one over the white but it being a manual would rule it out for me but that's a personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭hooch-85

My 2c. If your not doing big mileage buy a GTi or an R instead. GTDs are grand but you'll always want the proper performance mk7. They are not massively more expensive to run and will hold their value much better in the long run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I’ll never get used to people driving up my arse taking pictures of the Cupra. It’s not special like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭maddness

I’ll never get used to people driving up my arse taking pictures of the Cupra. It’s not special like!

It’s a lot more special than most hot hatches as there are so few of them on the road. Enjoy the attention I suppose!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Nice...

4-DC710-D6-6-EDE-4-AA4-8590-56-E8-F95-A76-AF.jpg
    0-D0-CA85-F-B3-F5-4-CC7-AF6-A-7777-DAAE1-BFA.jpg
    5633-CB60-6-A71-49-B5-8127-AE1-E7-C88-C909.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm starting to like it now.

bazz26 wrote: »

Has to be the nicest R currently for sale in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭maddness

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Has to be the nicest R currently for sale in the country.

Not in that colour though, it’s awful.

maddness wrote: »
    Not in that colour though, it’s awful.

Nicest colour for me :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭carsfan2

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Nice...

4-DC710-D6-6-EDE-4-AA4-8590-56-E8-F95-A76-AF.jpg
    0-D0-CA85-F-B3-F5-4-CC7-AF6-A-7777-DAAE1-BFA.jpg
    5633-CB60-6-A71-49-B5-8127-AE1-E7-C88-C909.jpg

Those alloys make a huge difference to the overall look of the car.

This new thread reminded me that I started the previous one when trying to make my mind up between GTD and GTI.
    Over five years ago since I picked up GTI PP.
    I have wasted a fair bit more money on cars since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

^^^ I saw the shots of the Mk8 with the woeful alloys, but thought the car looked sharp otherwise. With those wheels it looks fantastic imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

It's class colour/wheel/spec etc but the price is so high on these now. Think I paid less for a brand new 5 door dsg with prets in 2015. Fair enough that has more kit on it, but an awful lot of money for essentially the same car. Maybe it's all relative and I'm just poor now and couldn't swallow that cost anymore. :(

vintagevrs wrote: »
    It's class colour/wheel/spec etc but the price is so high on these now. Think I paid less for a brand new 5 door dsg with prets in 2015. Fair enough that has more kit on it, but an awful lot of money for essentially the same car. Maybe it's all relative and I'm just poor now and couldn't swallow that cost anymore. :(

Car prices have shot up across the board the last few years though. An entry level Golf is getting close to 30k these days so 45k for a 1 year old high spec R with only 6k miles on the clock isn't outrageous imo especially when 2018 models are still asking north of 35k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Car prices have shot up across the board the last few years though. An entry level Golf is getting close to 30k these days so 45k for a 1 year old high spec R with only 6k miles on the clock isn't outrageous imo especially when 2018 models are still asking north of 35k.

It's fairly easy to spec. up a new GTI to near enough 50k! Don't seem to be able to get the Pretoria alloys on the GTI either (I'm not a fan of "directional" alloys). I'll have to buy an R it looks like :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Casati

It's fairly easy to spec. up a new GTI to near enough 50k! Don't seem to be able to get the Pretoria alloys on the GTI either (I'm not a fan of "directional" alloys). I'll have to buy an R it looks like :-)

Will they get anything close to 45k though? Seems mad money. New prices have gone up but one key advantage is the 0% finance. Bank interest at 6.9% on 45k over 3 years is about 10k

Casati wrote: »
    Will they get anything close to 45k though? Seems mad money. New prices have gone up but one key advantage is the 0% finance. Bank interest at 6.9% on 45k over 3 years is about 10k

Two things:

1. The Mk7 Golf R is no more so you cannot get it @ 0% PCP from VW on one and certainly not on a 1 year example.
    2. Your comparing apples and oranges around finance packages - 0% PCP to 6.9% HP. Also who goes out and borrows 100% of the value of the car @ 6.9% over 3 years? And you still have to finance the PCP balloon payment unless you trade it in for another PCP deal or hand it back and walk away with nothing.

Two things:

1. The Mk7 Golf R is no more so you cannot get it @ 0% PCP from VW on one and certainly not on a 1 year example.
    2. Your comparing apples and oranges around finance packages - 0% PCP to 6.9% HP. Also who goes out and borrows 100% of the value of the car @ 6.9% over 3 years? And you still have to finance the PCP balloon payment unless you trade it in for another PCP deal or hand it back and walk away with nothing.

Okay there are loads of exceptions but in fairness you have to admit 45k is dear especially when their isn’t a cheap finance deal to help matters?

It's only dear if you can buy a new one cheaper though which you cannot. There are also 2018 examples asking 40k that don't have that spec. Manufacturers give financial incentives on new cars but not on used ones.

It's only dear if you can buy a new one cheaper though which you cannot. There are also 2018 examples asking 40k that don't have that spec. Manufacturers give financial incentives on new cars but not on used ones.

Don’t follow that logic at all - why would a new car be cheaper than a year and half old one?

Book value on a 191 Golf R DSG 5 door is about 37k, that particular one with a few extras might be a worth another grand

VW group often give low rate PCP on used cars. I have seen Skoda dealers offer 0% on used cars

That R would have been mid early to mid 50s brand new in that spec. So by your logic it's depreciated 15k in a year? I think the price is not outrageous at all.

Casati wrote: »
    Don’t follow that logic at all - why would a new car be cheaper than a year and half old one?

Book value on a 191 Golf R DSG 5 door is about 37k, that particular one with a few extras might be a worth another grand

VW group often give low rate PCP on used cars. I have seen Skoda dealers offer 0% on used cars

You brought finance into the conversation about 0% to begin with when saying 45k was expensive for a year old one and then compared it against 6.9% on HP from a bank. Where are you seeing a 2019 Golf R on 0% finance?

Book value again is irrelevant to an average punter, where are you buying a 191 Golf R for 37k? The cheapest one I can see is asking 44k, are you saying they would take close to 37k for it? How much were both cars when new last year?

You seem to be using extreme examples in making your point that the car is expensive but yet I don't see any real world examples to support that.

I haven’t heard the mention of this mystical “book” for quite a while when talking about car values.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Gents, seriously considering bringing this in from abroad. Love the spec, condition and especially the colour. Could you lend your expertise and offer any advice regarding the car itself? All in, it would work out at approximately €20k and I think to get the same car here it would be at least €2/3k more. Lack of a warranty seems to be the biggest impediment in importing to my mind at least.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202003138390202?model=GOLF&sort=price-asc&price-to=15000&aggregatedTrim=GTI&radius=1500&quantity-of-doors=5&make=VOLKSWAGEN&year-from=2015&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&postcode=bt71nn&advertising-location=at_cars&page=3

Advertisement