Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Jorge : February 29th

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Mods can we get bans for anyone making terrible jokes about the storm being called Jorge?

it's getting as tiring as the bread jokes. 2 days of it now, not just here but everywhere else as well.

From here on let's just discuss the storm and it's possible outcome across our island.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Monkeynut wrote: »
    Any reason why most of these storms end up being on a weekend. I know I'm being sort sighting because it probably evens out to any day or the course of how many storms there has been throughout the years. But recently many have being on the weekend.

It's just fallen that way. With the current largescale global pattern the period of these is about 7 days, so systems tend to be repeated around the same day week after week.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

It's just fallen that way. With the current largescale global pattern the period of these is about 7 days, so systems tend to be repeated around the same day week after week.

Cool, so there is a link. Not just potluck. But a later storm at some stage will either be quicker or later eventually to arrive and set to that next pattern, not just the weekends.

Thanks
    pad199207 wrote: »
    Curious feature developing

B75-D0550-5-C95-49-D9-AD36-A058-F6-D04799.jpg

Yes that black mark is really strange, any thoughts on what the impact will be? :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

This is a curious question
    But with tomorrow's storm, in the morning-afternoon time, there's a large period of snow until it turns back to rain

The charts show it also effecting the East coast. (Obviously since it's a LOW P area moving across the country) but my question is, will Onshore winds make it rain around Wicklow/Dublin/Louth etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

TTLF wrote: »
    I know this is a silly question

Should have stopped here

• Advertisement

Should have stopped here

owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Lots of dry air wrapping around the system now , spot the scorpion's tail anyone?#stingjet
    attachment.php?attachmentid=504155&stc=1&d=1582928949

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Lots of dry air wrapping around the system now , spot the scorpion's tail anyone?#stingjet

Great picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

TTLF wrote: »
    I know this is a silly question
    But with tomorrow's storm, in the morning-afternoon time, there's a large period of snow until it turns back to rain

The charts show it also effecting the East coast. (Obviously since it's a LOW P area moving across the country) but my question is, will Onshore winds make it rain around Wicklow/Dublin/Louth etc?

There won't be a large period of snow, there will be mostly rain and sleet with some snow on high ground. Maybe some wet snow at lower levels in places at best.

There won't be any onshore winds on the east coast tomorrow. It's all westerly winds for the next three days at least.

Rougies wrote: »
    There won't be a large period of snow, there will be mostly rain and sleet with some snow on high ground. Maybe some wet snow at lower levels in places at best.

There won't be any onshore winds on the east coast tomorrow. It's all westerly winds for the next three days at least.

thanks, was just going off the HIRLAM model and Carlow weather's forecast that showed an extensive period of snow over the midlands/E coast for like 2 hours so i was confused

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

pad199207 wrote: »
    Curious feature developing

B75-D0550-5-C95-49-D9-AD36-A058-F6-D04799.jpg

It breezed through athlone at around 10pm and made an awful racket

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Iancar29 wrote: »

Hopefully Mace Head fairs out better than Sherkin Island did when Ophelia's stingjet hit it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Maybe this is a stupid question but why is the UK Met office showing yellow for Northern Ireland while we have orange in our adjoining counties? Do they have different criteria for the colour coding?
    Thanks.

Jaysus they only issue Orange Warnings in July

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Kind of worrying a red is out and so few posts.

Kind of worrying a red is out and so few posts.

I'm within the targeted area, and not the least bit worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

How quickly is this meant to pass over the country? I have a flight Monday evening which I'm assuming will be fine?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Same here. People do way too much worrying these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

How quickly is this meant to pass over the country? I have a flight Monday evening which I'm assuming will be fine?

If you looked it up, you'd see all the warnings end by 3am Sunday.

Weather forecast for Monday available on this forum thanks to M.T.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ARPEGE Hi Res

Gusts

anim_ajm8.gif

5916_wba5.png

110_yrt9.png

arpegeuk-52-28-0_ipu8.png

Latest HIRLAM Mean wind speeds

anim_dbj2.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Where are you based?

Im in the Corofin Kilnabouy area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

JCX BXC wrote: »
    If you looked it up, you'd see all the warnings end by 3am Sunday.

Weather forecast for Monday available on this forum thanks to M.T.

22 pages of posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Looking at the latest runs, and it looks increasingly, and inevitably, to be another total non-event for east Galway. Top gusts range from 48 knots (UK Met) to 58 knots (Harmonie & GFS). Certainly lively, but hardly panic inducing 'Red' levels. No doubt a red warning is warranted for coastal parts (I haven't bothered to check) but these one size fits all warnings are just a joke.

New Moon

sryanbruen wrote: »
    God love the buoys during the 80s/90s.

Phil Lynott was a keen weather enthusiast like yourself, Sryan. His ode 'the buoys are back in town' was greatly misunderstood.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

22 pages of posts.

On www.met.ie?

Phil Lynott was a keen weather enthusiast like yourself, Sryan. His ode 'the buoys are back in town' was greatly misunderstood.

Don Henley was another great weather observer, as he alluded to in his 80's classic:

"After the buoys of summer have gone".

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Airport TAF's 11pm (Forecast max gusts for Saturday)

Shannon 63 knots between 11am-3pm
    Knock 60 Knots between 3pm and 5pm
    Dublin 57 knots between 3pm and 6pm
    Cork 58 Knots between Midday and 2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Does anyone remember the Beastie Buoys?

FMI-Hirlam 18z still going for a Connacht landfall tomorrow with strongest of the winds in the SW.

OY67PVS.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Over 3°c drop here in the last half hour 6.9°c in South Laois and the winds are gusty with a 31mph (50kmph) gust in the squall/cold front that passed over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some very strong winds crossing Ireland in the afternoon.

GFS looks to be under doing it on the latest run and ICON seems to be overdoing it. ARPEGEE never seems to over do it and is usually quite close I reckon.

Latest 18Z run

V8XTvNk.png

PTi9JBg.png

Advertisement