Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lions Tour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

It’s pretty obvious how it’s worth it.

You have a public gagging to go to events.

I have tickets to the mickey mouse warm up game in Edinburgh and was due to go to South Africa.

Face value on those tickets was £150. At, say, Twickenham, Cardiff, and, say, Wembley, they can sell 250,000 tickets at an average of, say, £150. Some tickets might be cheaper but then there’s the corporate stuff.

That’s £38m. At a time when the Unions are goosed moneywise. The South Africans will get a decent slug of that and then there’s the broadcasting revenue plus commercial side.

It makes enormous financial sense.

Provided you have crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

As someone who has been on three Lions tours, albeit some time ago now & enjoyed every minute of it (3 months in total) ...... I would have very little interest in attending even one game of a three test home series.

Money talks however ....... so I'm sure there will be plenty of people who would fork out the big bucks to go see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Can see 10k but not capacity this summer in the UK. But that all depends on the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

It's not a very appetising prospect for the non-test Lions is it?
    A month stuck in a Milton Keynes hotel without any real chance of playing a test match. Without getting any of the 'touristy' benefits that you'd get if you were in that situation on a real away tour to SA/Oz/NZ. Why would you bother?
    Could see plenty of withdrawals when it becomes clear that you're not close to the matchday XV/bench.

Surely the Lions squad will be reduced down to the bare minimum, maybe 33 at the most.
    There surely won't be any mid-week games, unless the four franchises come North to play the Rainbow Cup and stick around for the Lions to play mid-week tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Surely the Lions squad will be reduced down to the bare minimum, maybe 33 at the most.
    There surely won't be any mid-week games, unless the four franchises come North to play the Rainbow Cup and stick around for the Lions to play mid-week tests?

As someone else said, if there are any midweek games it would surely be for the touring side e.g., South Africa v Glasgow or Leicester etc. That's the tradition.
    Though unlikely those Pro14/AP teams will have strong squads available in summer.

Can't see any chance of multiple clubs sides coming from South Africa for midweek games v the Lions. Possible I suppose.

Even with a pared down Lions squad (33 as you suggest) it will still be obvious to some players that they aren't getting a run. So it's a long time to be stuck in a bubble if that's the way they do it. Maybe the UK will be so open by then that it won't have to be a bubble.

• Advertisement

As someone else said, if there are any midweek games it would surely be for the touring side e.g., South Africa v Glasgow or Leicester etc. That's the tradition.
    Though unlikely those Pro14/AP teams will have strong squads available in summer.

Can't see any chance of multiple clubs sides coming from South Africa for midweek games v the Lions. Possible I suppose.

Even with a pared down Lions squad (33 as you suggest) it will still be obvious to some players that they aren't getting a run. So it's a long time to be stuck in a bubble if that's the way they do it. Maybe the UK will be so open by then that it won't have to be a bubble.

The Lions is, by definition, the touring side. That's precisely what a Lions side is. So the whole shebang is without precedent. We'll see if it goes head, but if it does, I'd very, very happily turn out for Ulster vs SA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

These are not normal times though

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus there not rushing the decision on what's happening

I'll hold off on buying any Lions merch till a decision is made, might be selling it off or something

PTH2009 wrote: »

I'll hold off on buying any Lions merch till a decision is made, might be selling it off or something

It’s very strange, isn’t it?

Like today’s the 1st of March!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

PTH2009 wrote: »

The only decision that can be made right now is to pull the plug entirely.

If there's something that can be salvaged by holding off for a few more weeks, then it's worth it. No?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Lol...the CEO of the host broadcaster gives a hint....christ on a bike that is clutching at straws to keep a story going.

They shot down hosting it in Australia, why would the UK be a better option?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Are the SA players locating in the UK and Ireland for the Rainbow Cup? They might already be within the jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Because the UK is in the same time zone as South Africa. Holding it in Aus suited noone times wise.

Yeah - if the big thing is TV money, they don't want to show games very late at night/horrendously early in the morning for both Lions and SA fans.

Because the UK is in the same time zone as South Africa. Holding it in Aus suited noone times wise.

Do you think there will be supporters in stadiums or travelling support by June in the UK?

Because the UK is in the same time zone as South Africa.

It’s not, you know?

It’s not, you know?

i meant roughly the same time zone.

Do you think there will be supporters in stadiums or travelling support by June in the UK?

No, I dont think there will be. But i think the options are play it this year or don't play it at all.

• Advertisement

The first Tour game in South Africa isn’t until July.

The UK’s roadmap for exiting lockdown would most likely facilitate supporters in stadiums from June.

And in a discussion about the merits of having the tour in Australia, South Africa, or the UK, it’s a bit pedantic to point out that South Africa and the UK aren’t in the same time zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

The UK’s roadmap for exiting lockdown would most likely facilitate supporters in stadiums from June.

And in a discussion about the merits of having the tour in Australia, South Africa, or the UK, it’s a bit pedantic to point out that South Africa and the UK aren’t in the same time zone.

First test is in July, I believe the games start in June?

Nope...first game in South Africa is against the Stormers on the 3rd of July.

There’s a really short lead-in time.

The First Test is on the 17th of July in Johannesburg.

Even the warm-up game in Edinburgh against Japan isn’t until the 26th of June.

I said nothing about time zones.

I would personally be surprised if the UK has attendance in stadiums by June - their road maps have not interacted well with reality since the outset of covid.

On a separate note - who actually has the final say when it comes to finalising venue?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭THFC198

Hey, apologies if this has been asked before, but is there any information on if a home tour happens (few media sites reporting it’ll be a 4 test tour) what will happen with regards to tickets, Do you have get first choice if you have already booked your SA trip? What happens to the SA allocated tickets?

I said nothing about time zones.

I would personally be surprised if the UK has attendance in stadiums by June - their road maps have not interacted well with reality since the outset of covid.

On a separate note - who actually has the final say when it comes to finalising venue?

I know, sorry, that was addressed to other posters which wasn’t clear.

The Lions Board, which consists of the four Union CEOs (e.g. Philip Browne), Chairman Jason Leonard, and some others.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If it's in the UK the luckiest Ireland might get would be a training camp in Charlton House or something. We prob be banned from travelling over to Wembley (makes the most sense to host the games there) for the tests

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I still don't see it happening, patriotic jingoism isn't enough to push this over the line.
    But, if by some chance they do manage it ..then I can't see any Irish players being involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Would a South Africa tour of Great Britain and Ireland be a worthy tour instead of a GB&I Lions team hosting?
    If South Africa played Ireland in Lansdowne Road, Scotland in Murrayfield, Wales in the Millennium stadium and England in Twickenham on a 4 test tour with limited crowds, would that be better instead of having a Lions team host the touring team?
    Personally think the Lions at home isn't much of a spectacle, unless they flip it for once and market it as the South Africans themselves being the Lions on tour this time and it could be a great way to spin it.
    Could add the South African club teams as playing a few matches too, like if they each play one of the Home teams as a build up match before the South African team plays.

Advertisement