Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Rocket1983

Just got phonecall ive been waiting for. I was offered the employment and will get bk to me ASAP with start date.. :). Just in case people are waiting long time for the application process I first did my aptitude test in Feb 2020 and only been offered job today so 12 months...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Yeah once they ring your refrences they usually get back to you within a few hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

CloneeBohs wrote: »
    Just rang me...said they will let me know when a place in the school opens up for B drivers.

Delighted, thanks again for everyone's help on here

Congrats and best of luck with training

Is there any advantage at all of applying for the job with a d licence? I'm thinking if recruitment is taking so long of going ahead and getting the licence on my own accord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

GT89 wrote: »
    Is there any advantage at all of applying for the job with a d licence? I'm thinking if recruitment is taking so long of going ahead and getting the licence on my own accord.

Honestly save yourself the money, they prefer to get you before you pick up bad habits and the training is rigorous.

Not many others around the world offer the type of training you will get.

Honestly save yourself the money, they prefer to get you before you pick up bad habits and the training is rigorous.

Not many others around the world offer the type of training you will get.

I'm glad the training is top notch. 3 weeks seems like a short space of time to learn to drive a bus so I'm guessing the training is very intense other countries such as Germany I believe offer bus driving as a apprenticeship and it takes upwards of one year I think some operators over there train drivers on both buses and trams.

The other thing is the driving assessment is in an automatic and I have never driven an automatic before as are all DBs fleet afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I'm glad the training is top notch. 3 weeks seems like a short space of time to learn to drive a bus so I'm guessing the training is very intense other countries such as Germany I believe offer bus driving as a apprenticeship and it takes upwards of one year I think some operators over there train drivers on both buses and trams.

The other thing is the driving assessment is in an automatic and I have never driven an automatic before as are all DBs fleet afaik.

First of all, an automatic bus is different to an automatic car :pac:

Second of all, over the three weeks your daily average is 3 hours of driving, so over 15 days that's 45 hours at roughly €75 an hour so you're saving the guts of 3 grand by letting DB out you through it. Most people pay €150 for a two hour slot once a week with the likes of Colliers or Airport Driving School, so you're packing much more in in a smaller time frame.

First of all, an automatic bus is different to an automatic car :pac:

I know but the driving assessment is in an automatic car isn't it
    Second of all, over the three weeks your daily average is 3 hours of driving, so over 15 days that's 45 hours at roughly €75 an hour so you're saving the guts of 3 grand by letting DB out you through it. Most people pay €150 for a two hour slot once a week with the likes of Colliers or Airport Driving School, so you're packing much more in in a smaller time frame.

I was more thinking the application process would be quicker for someone with a d licence than someone without it. If that is the case and it was quicker then you'd likely have made back the money you paid for the lessons within about the first 3-4 weeks of starting with DB.

I was more thinking the application process would be quicker for someone with a d licence than someone without it. If that is the case and it was quicker then you'd likely have made back the money you paid for the lessons within about the first 3-4 weeks of starting with DB.

Application time is the same unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Rocket1983

Did anyone get the call for Monday start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭LastStop

They've switched to Nissan Leafs Afaik.

The 3 week training is sufficient because you already know how to drive, All they are doing is modifying your mindset to a large vehicle and beating the bad habits out of you.

LastStop wrote: »
    They've switched to Nissan Leafs Afaik.

The 3 week training is sufficient because you already know how to drive, All they are doing is modifying your mindset to a large vehicle and beating the bad habits out of you.

EVs are supposed to be the same as automatic transmission.

EVs are supposed to be the same as automatic transmission.

Yes hybrid and ev are now all auto....
    They usnt to be though....

The chief inspectors are going around in ev with db branding on them.

If you've never driven one all you need to know is, do not press the brake like you would in a manual.

The chief inspectors are going around in ev with db branding on them.

Yeah I've seen those cars in a colour similar to the new livery.

Is the cpc case study multiple choice like the theory test and is it much harder than the theory test which I found relatively easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Darrenv25

The cpc case study is multiple choice with the case studies on the left hand side of the screen and the questions on the right so basically the answers are in front of you, very hard to fail it.

Darrenv25 wrote: »
    The cpc case study is multiple choice with the case studies on the left hand side of the screen and the questions on the right so basically the answers are in front of you, very hard to fail it.

Sounds straight forward enough thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CloneeBohs

Anybody get a start date anytime soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Joshr1233

Anybody get a start date anytime soon?

Have you got your start yet since they told you about waiting for place in driver school?

I was asked to send my driver statement license etc before March 5th so waiting on call now with date for interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 James901

Joshr1233 wrote: »
    Have you got your start yet since they told you about waiting for place in driver school?

I was asked to send my driver statement license etc before March 5th so waiting on call now with date for interview.

How long were you waiting for a reply after doing the online written assessment?

• Advertisement

Got my date for driving assessment and interview on 9th March for anyone wondering on a timeline done the online assessment early jan and submitted documents on 25th Jan got the email yesterday so around a 4week wait

Got my date for driving assessment and interview on 9th March for anyone wondering on a timeline done the online assessment early jan and submitted documents on 25th Jan got the email yesterday so around a 4week wait

The very best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CloneeBohs

Got the call today, starting on the early march I'm delighted

James901 wrote: »
    How long were you waiting for a reply after doing the online written assessment?

About 3 weeks pal.

Got the call today, starting on the early march I'm delighted
    Great stuff. Best of luck

Did you get a date for your driving assessment/interview yet?

Did you get a date for your driving assessment/interview yet?

No not yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Soule26

Good Afternoon folks

I would like to ask how long you wait to reapply
    For Dublin bus after failing your driving assessments any
    Information I'm really appreciate thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Orlando2019

Soule26 wrote: »
    Good Afternoon folks

I would like to ask how long you wait to reapply
    For Dublin bus after failing your driving assessments any
    Information I'm really appreciate thanks

You can try again after 1 year,
    I have this information from a source that recently failed the driving assessment.

You can try again after 1 year,
    I have this information from a source that recently failed the driving assessment.

Thank you so much for the information I really appreciate

• Advertisement

Thank you so much for the information I really appreciate

Did you apply as a B licence or D licence?

If B, you can try your luck with Go ahead Ireland, they are nowhere near as good as Dublin Bus but it is another way to start your bus driving career

if D, Bus eireann are also looking for seasonal drivers.

Did you apply as a B licence or D licence?

If B, you can try your luck with Go ahead Ireland, they are nowhere near as good as Dublin Bus but it is another way to start your bus driving career

if D, Bus eireann are also looking for seasonal drivers.
    Hello

I applied as B license and they just failed me on progress .
    And I heard go head is not recruiting at moment.
    I would like to ask again, you told me after year I can applie again and but I want know from the date I fallen or from the date I applied first? Thank you

Hello

I applied as B license and they just failed me on progress .
    And I heard go head is not recruiting at moment.
    I would like to ask again, you told me after year I can applie again and but I want know from the date I fallen or from the date I applied first? Thank you

I'm sorry to hear that. Seems a bit unfair they'd fail you on progress it's not like you were driving dangerously.

I'm sorry to hear that. Seems a bit unfair they'd fail you on progress it's not like you were driving dangerously.

You'll fail a driving test for lack of progress, which is what the assessment is.

How difficult is the driving assessment? Will it be the exact same as a driving test, turnabout, reverse around the corner etc? Does anybody have any info on the route taken?

How difficult is the driving assessment? Will it be the exact same as a driving test, turnabout, reverse around the corner etc? Does anybody have any info on the route taken?

It's just a drive through Cabra to assess competence and road manner. It's not particularly taxing and personally I didn't do any rules of the road or reversing or whatever. Just a half hour drive.

Anyone have a rough time from driving assessment and interview to hearing the result ?? Thanks

Anyone have a rough time from driving assessment and interview to hearing the result ?? Thanks
    If you are successful on your driving assessment you will be invited for the interview straight after.
    Usually after the interview they will contact you in less than a week to invite you to do the medical assessment or to tell you that you haven't been successful depending on the situation.
    When you do the medical you will be told on the day if you are fit for the job or not.
    After passing the medical the waiting game begins before your references are called and you receive the phone call with the job offer you could be left waiting from a few weeks to a few months depending on your luck.

I sat my driving and interview on a Wednesday and on the Friday of the same week I got the email for the medical.
    After my medical I waited nearly 3 months for the call.

If you are successful on your driving assessment you will be invited for the interview straight after.
    Usually after the interview they will contact you in less than a week to invite you to do the medical assessment or to tell you that you haven't been successful depending on the situation.

I sat my driving and interview on a Wednesday and on the Friday of the same week I got the email for the medical.

Thank you, had interview and driving assessment late last week both went really well I think, hopefully hear back this week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

As a short/medium-term option, they're not bad. Their training is very good and you can get onto a decent roster there very quickly. Also, after a year or two there, you're more or less guaranteed to be successful if you apply to Dublin Bus.

I'd be surprised if they weren't recruiting. If they aren't now, they almost certainly will be in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

.anon. wrote: »
    As a short/medium-term option, they're not bad. Their training is very good and you can get onto a decent roster there very quickly. Also, after a year or two there, you're more or less guaranteed to be successful if you apply to Dublin Bus.

I'd be surprised if they weren't recruiting. If they aren't now, they almost certainly will be in the near future.

I predict harder times for goahead here.

Alot of drivers in GA seem to think they will win contracts based KPIs being met.

There is a new timing point system being rolled out in Dublin Bus that should see KPIs being met if not exceeded . And keeps buses ontime..

Now pay talks are giving indication of a substantial pay rise in Dublin bus (probably at the cost of T&C for drivers).

So Goahead will keep churning out driver training for CIE.

A revolving door for bus drivers is hardly sustainable for GA. Their ranks seem to be full of inexperienced drivers waiting for the first opportunity to leave right now.
    Imagine what will happen when the pay gap expands even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Alot of drivers in GA seem to think they will win contracts based KPIs being met.

There is a new timing point system being rolled out in Dublin Bus that should see KPIs being met if not exceeded . And keeps buses ontime..

Now pay talks are giving indication of a substantial pay rise in Dublin bus (probably at the cost of T&C for drivers).

A revolving door for bus drivers is hardly sustainable for GA. Their ranks seem to be full of inexperienced drivers waiting for the first opportunity to leave right now.

I'm still friendly with a lot of my ex Co workers in Dublin bus and I don't believe for a minute these timing points will be met by them well.

There will be plenty of resistance to obey them even though go ahead already are doing it on all routes. Too many Dublin bus drivers don't care anymore or are old school. I've heard it all already, the drivers will leave on time and drive on and they intend on using the excuse of too dangerous to park on the road etc.

Or they'll be leaving the terminus late and just cruising out causing to be late etc.

Personally I've no emotions towards either company either way, I walked away from Dublin bus, Bus Eireann and I refused several supervisor jobs from Go-ahead (all based on my back round and skill set).

But you would want to be blind to not see what's going on with the industry, you'd be a fool to believe that Dublin bus will be winning all the tenders and a fool to think that go-ahead will be gone in a few years because they won't. The writing is on the wall, the NTA will happily let Bus Eireann go to the wall altogether, they will happily downsize Dublin bus massively in favour of other operators.

That strike back in 2014 or 2015 over privatisation was a waste of time, they got the agreement of only tendering out 10% of current routes. When Bus connects kicks in that means every route will be a new route and every single one of them will be up for tender.

The NTA have a system, they will go through with it and the days if Dublin bus go out on strike over anything they'll be playing a very dangerous game.

Just on another point, I've been in ballymount and Naas talking with managers and I spoke with people I used to work with that went over from CIE and they have only good things to say about Go-ahead. A company where they are treated more like people, of course not perfect, nobody is but they say the are treated better now than before.

Like I say, I've no feelings for either company so it doesn't matter a blind bit to me, but I just get annoyed when I hear people being a bit naive saying they'll get this or that and are oblivious to the writing on the wall.

Anyway there's my 2c

To the best of knowledge from a few UK based bus pages I've seen that's the general jist of how most UK operators run with a high turnover of drivers who often move between bus companies. Are some of the GAI drivers brought over from the UK as I've heard a few with English accents.

There's a good few UK particularly London bus drivers that have started vlogging on Youtube in the last few years. I wonder would their experience be relevant to here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I'm still friendly with a lot of my ex Co workers in Dublin bus and I don't believe for a minute these timing points will be met by them well.

There will be plenty of resistance to obey them even though go ahead already are doing it on all routes. Too many Dublin bus drivers don't care anymore or are old school. I've heard it all already, the drivers will leave on time and drive on and they intend on using the excuse of too dangerous to park on the road etc.

Or they'll be leaving the terminus late and just cruising out causing to be late etc.

Personally I've no emotions towards either company either way, I walked away from Dublin bus, Bus Eireann and I refused several supervisor jobs from Go-ahead (all based on my back round and skill set).

But you would want to be blind to not see what's going on with the industry, you'd be a fool to believe that Dublin bus will be winning all the tenders and a fool to think that go-ahead will be gone in a few years because they won't. The writing is on the wall, the NTA will happily let Bus Eireann go to the wall altogether, they will happily downsize Dublin bus massively in favour of other operators.

That strike back in 2014 or 2015 over privatisation was a waste of time, they got the agreement of only tendering out 10% of current routes. When Bus connects kicks in that means every route will be a new route and every single one of them will be up for tender.

The NTA have a system, they will go through with it and the days if Dublin bus go out on strike over anything they'll be playing a very dangerous game.

Just on another point, I've been in ballymount and Naas talking with managers and I spoke with people I used to work with that went over from CIE and they have only good things to say about Go-ahead. A company where they are treated more like people, of course not perfect, nobody is but they say the are treated better now than before.

Like I say, I've no feelings for either company so it doesn't matter a blind bit to me, but I just get annoyed when I hear people being a bit naive saying they'll get this or that and are oblivious to the writing on the wall.

Anyway there's my 2c

Hey. I think you are wrong here.
    The garages are being flooded with new drivers.

Spare drivers now outnumber marked in drivers ..
    Within that group of marked in drivers, most have enough sense to comply with the new rules. In fact the vast majority probably already spend most of the day ONTIME anyway.. Without even noticing.
    I also suspect , with the new pay talks, there will be new disciplinary procedures to deal with drivers not playing ball.
    There is literally no good reason to get so far up the field that you need a to go see the manager. Its so easy to drive at a slower rate.

Im sure there will be a few who dont get inline, like in any company, but I cant see them lasting too long behind the wheel if they go against the company (and everyone) . Possibly costing jobs and tenders.

I work for Dublin Bus and its old dinosaur ways are changing .. Just like all the old school jobs where seniority ruled. Guinness, Irishrail to Tesco. And proper order.

We are basically going to get more money to slow down.
    How many other places of work do that? Its a rare thing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Dan I hope you're right, I personally think it's the way it should be run, but having worked there myself and still talking to all the other lads, I can't see it happen.

I've seen many a new driver go into the job with the "f,uck it" attitude before they even start working there.

But like I say, other parts of the world can do it, Go-ahead ireland can do it, there shouldn't be a reason Dublin bus can't. And for the Union to look for a pay rise for the privilege of running a bus correctly is unbelievable.

Tbh I just think it is such an outdated company at this stage that the NTA really is necessary to shake them up or shake them out if they don't comply.

I hear what you say about discipline procedures but I know they aren't very strict at all.
    I know of one driver that is a nutter behind the wheel and has been caught several times and on the phone several times, but he's still there, that's shocking if you ask me and that's why I can't see these drivers taking the time seriously

• Advertisement

Dan I hope you're right, I personally think it's the way it should be run, but having worked there myself and still talking to all the other lads, I can't see it happen.

I've seen many a new driver go into the job with the "f,uck it" attitude before they even start working there.

But like I say, other parts of the world can do it, Go-ahead ireland can do it, there shouldn't be a reason Dublin bus can't. And for the Union to look for a pay rise for the privilege of running a bus correctly is unbelievable.

Tbh I just think it is such an outdated company at this stage that the NTA really is necessary to shake them up or shake them out if they don't comply.

I hear what you say about discipline procedures but I know they aren't very strict at all.
    I know of one driver that is a nutter behind the wheel and has been caught several times and on the phone several times, but he's still there, that's shocking if you ask me and that's why I can't see these drivers taking the time seriously

What's this fcuk it attitude your talking about? I'm not having a go btw but I would think from an outsiders pov that a driver coming to work with the attitude of I will take the bus out of the yard go about working my duty as safely as possible and do my utmost to ensure it passes off without incident is the correct attitude for a driver to take.

The aim I would think would be to get through the day without getting into accident, verbal abuse or an assault. Why would drivers keep to schedule they are not required to keep to it doesn't make sense if the company don't care why should the drivers?

Also if the NTA do shake out DB the new company or companies that win the tenders for DB routes are still going to be dealing with the same drivers and same unions. So any new company that tenders for current DB routes will have the exact same problems that DB has as TUPE will take effect either that or the drivers will be offered favourable redundancy packages. The new rules will only effect new drivers who start once the new company takes over.

You talk about a driver who's a nutjob behind the wheel fair enough I don't doubt you but surely if he's a crap driver some day he's going to be found out and get into a serious accident? Or are you saying if he does get into a serious accident he won't be sacked? I'm not getting ideas btw lol.

What's this fcuk it attitude your talking about? I'm not having a go btw but I would think from an outsiders pov that a driver coming to work with the attitude of I will take the bus out of the yard go about working my duty as safely as possible and do my utmost to ensure it passes off without incident is the correct attitude for a driver to take.

The aim I would think would be to get through the day without getting into accident, verbal abuse or an assault. Why would drivers keep to schedule they are not required to keep to it doesn't make sense if the company don't care why should the drivers?

Also if the NTA do shake out DB the new company or companies that win the tenders for DB routes are still going to be dealing with the same drivers and same unions. So any new company that tenders for current DB routes will have the exact same problems that DB has as TUPE will take effect either that or the drivers will be offered favourable redundancy packages. The new rules will only effect new drivers who start once the new company takes over.

You talk about a driver who's a nutjob behind the wheel fair enough I don't doubt you but surely if he's a crap driver some day he's going to be found out and get into a serious accident? Or are you saying if he does get into a serious accident he won't be sacked? I'm not getting ideas btw lol.

There was a post on here earlier on from another poster who confirmed it was happening, quoting another driver "if they want to play the game then he will too" as a result of leaving a terminus 15-20 mins late. Leaving late on purpose and taking an extra 5 mins to stretch the legs.

The attitude is there, I don't know where it spawns from but it does exist there more than people like to think.

Your wrong about the other companies taking over and dealing with same unions etc. Go-ahead ireland won't recognize the NBRU for example and although they do recognize Siptu I haven't heard of much going on with them in Go-ahead.

A union may or may not save you from being sacked but Dublin bus are too nice for their own good.

In regards to drivers I personally know, no he's not a bad driver, but he's a fecking formula 1 driver behind the wheel and has gone up in front of management without union rep and still gotten away with murder

There are other driver again I know of braking so hard ab old man went threw a window, the driver that split open a guy's head on dorset street with the mirror and another having an accident every couple of weeks. They never got sacked any of them and when you talk to these drivers about what happened they all have the "**** it" attitude and couldn't care what they did. Sure why would they care, it's not their bus.

Like I say, its a **** attitude and it is what's wrong with that company and it shouldn't be like that, like I say I'd like to see the NTA really shake up the place and come down hard on things like this if they want it to run correctly.

None of what I say is against any of the drivers here that do a good job like Midnight EG and others, I trust the likes of yourselfs to be good drivers and responsible unlike some clowns in the job

Personally I got an opinion on the job when I saw what was going on, going in as a young person myself I saw very quickly I would never be in line for promotions or the likes even if I meet the criteria because of the nepotism that goes on in there for jobs is unreal. From being the wrong gender to sleep with the right people for an office job and not going out with the HR managers daughter (or niece, can't remember) to get a promotion to the driver school and get handheld through the whole process.

For reasons like that I left, for reasons like that a good amount of people don't care about the job because they know they won't progress and they are happy with that, so they play games on the road etc. Again it's not nice but it's how it goes in there. And it's bad form when even an inspector says how it is too. But sure look......

Your wrong about the other companies taking over and dealing with same unions etc. Go-ahead ireland won't recognize the NBRU for example and although they do recognize Siptu I haven't heard of much going on with them in Go-ahead.

Yeah but if more services were to tendered out and DB staff had to transfer over to the new companies under TUPE. The same agreements would be still in place as TUPE means the new employer will have to recognise the same contracts and same agreements that were in place with Dublin Bus.

With Go-Ahead TUPE didn't apply because Go-Ahead Ireland is a completely new company so no pre existing terms and conditions were in place.

Yeah but if more services were to tendered out and DB staff had to transfer over to the new companies under TUPE. The same agreements would be still in place as TUPE means the new employer will have to recognise the same contracts and same agreements that were in place with Dublin Bus.

With Go-Ahead TUPE didn't apply because Go-Ahead Ireland is a completely new company so no pre existing terms and conditions were in place.

I don't know how you came up with that but no that's not true

Yes drivers did tupe over to go ahead already, and yes they did stick with their terms and conditions regarding pay etc

But just because they accepted the drivers with their conditions doesn't mean they have to accept their crap attitudes towards the job. Go ahead can sack a driver that went over from Dublin bus no problem if they get out of line.

Oy 12 months, then contract would change.

• Advertisement
Advertisement