Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold Spell Prospects and Discussion (January + Early Feb 2012)

Options
1525354555658»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I thought the models at 72hrs and 96hrs were looking slightly better :rolleyes:? The Russian high has dropped a tad to the south.
    Cold pushing further west across the UK. Could be reading the models wrong. I haven't looked past 96hr yet so for all I know it could only be a set up for 12hrs on the models. Bit of ignorance to the models after 96hrs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Wild Bill wrote: »
    I'd ate me childer' to see a foot of snow :D!

I think its less off a hassle to book a Flight to the Alps and have Two weeks of 24/7 snow hugging ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

i read their website around 6 30 ish and it had its morning update which seemed to be different to what it is saying now! maybe i was dreaming...

no i wasn't dreaming! just looked at iphone and still had page open on browser! their initial update at 04 31 earlier was much different to what it has now. they had no mention of cold weather just mild weather with temps ranging from 8 in the east to 10-11 in the west! you think they would have changed the time in their later update..cheating!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

We just need Evelyn on duty for the weekend and we'll be in business! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

blackius wrote: »
    Why are you defensive about a critical comment?
    All I'm pointing out is that if the atlantic is having difficulty sending it's systems beyond birmingham,then it's a possibility it will retreat still.
    We don't know.Theres no need yet to be discounting this completely.

I would agree that the normal is more likely than the abnormal usually but even the ecm ensembles cannot agree on that for the moment.
    I've no idea yet what the ensemble suite is guiding this morning .

I don't need to be told by you what i should and shouldn't know thanks very much. Your condescending attitude to the posts wording was uncalled for in my opinion. That's all i will say on the matter as we can do without anymore conflict in here. :)

:rolleyes:

Anyhow back to the models ... things certainly haven't got worse from a model point of view. I wouldn't say better either mind.
    We are depending on a Siberian high and not a scandy high to bring us an easterly -that's asking it to do a job it usually doesn't do.
    I suppose the reason we're asking it to do that is because it's so much bigger than normal and already sufficient to block the Atlantic.
    If we only maintain the status quo,the hope is a slow drip feed of icy air from the near continent.
    That or an undercutting low which would boost an easterly.
    Or a slight move west or slight reorientation of the high,very slight which would bring a more direct east feed towards us.
    None of that might happen but the thing is we don't know.
    The biggest tool we have at the moment is human met experienced opinion on sub 120 uk met faxes and tweets from matt Hugo,Ian Ferguson and the likes and even comments sometimes on BBC news 24 forecasts.

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    We just need Evelyn on duty for the weekend and we'll be in business! :D

things seems a lot more positive this morning from my novice amateur viewpoint..looks very cold for the uk next week and hopefully this air will push further east as the days go by. we might just be too far west though..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

no i wasn't dreaming! just looked at iphone and still had page open on browser! their initial update at 04 31 earlier was much different to what it has now. they had no mention of cold weather just mild weather with temps ranging from 8 in the east to 10-11 in the west! you think they would have changed the time in their later update..cheating!

Changed their forecast after the 0z ECM I’d say. Wonder what time the met get it? In the past I’ve seen the forecast change from 6P.M news to 9P.M news presumably due to the 12z ECM.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

06z GFS rolling out now. Looking better. Looks as if cold air has shifted (ever so) slightly further west Sunday and Monday with stalling front over Ireland and cold air undercutting. That set up would at least, in my opinion, give snow to the higher ground/mountains along the east coast.

Believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

I believe!!!!!
    ;)

A DM2 thread can't be too far away now! :D

Having said that, I could be all down the tubes in the next run!

• Advertisement

A DM2 thread can't be too far away now! :D

Having said that, I could be all down the tubes in the next run!

it seems to be tying in with the ECM though and the UK met office's prediction. If it was out on its own without any support it would be a different matter..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Just to put a name to the face, the Russian High we're talking about has been named Cooper by the Germans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭highdef

06z GFS rolling out now. Looking better. Looks as if cold air has shifted (ever so) slightly further west Sunday and Monday with stalling front over Ireland and cold air undercutting. That set up would at least, in my opinion, give snow to the higher ground/mountains along the east coast.

Believe!

And the 06z GFS does indeed show several inches of snow accumulation in the east tomorrow night and through Sunday and (kinda) beyond. I can't see this actually happening anywhere near sea level and/or low ground. I do reckon that the mountains will get a nice covering but I have a feeling that the snow line will be above where most of the population resides.

The 12z will hopefully enlighten us to what's going on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Wasn't expecting this last night, models have been pretty consistent on cold staying east of central England and the Atlantic winning out. Looking at it now the front stalls over the east coast of Ireland with the cold pushing further west with some crazy cold in Europe by the end of the runs, things suddenly a lot more complicated for the Met :)

Harps wrote: »
    things suddenly a lot more complicated for the Met :)

There's going to be a run on solpadeine in the Glasnevin area! :D

All of a sudden, things looking very interesting - although knife edge stuff - also have to bear in mind that a snowfall/blizzard for Tuesday has my name on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Right doing a DM2 and opened fresh one and closing this one. No doubt i jumped the gun and raging westerlies will advance by Monday:o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement