Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for north Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Was funny last night, I popped over to Raheny to buy something from Adverts.

Lady went on one giving out about the new cycle lane and the traffic. Started asking me how I get to work and how I manage the traffic. I cycle. How do kids get to school. Cycle.

There are plenty of those on the Raheny FB page unfortunately. Any post about cyclists/cycling attracts such an incredible amount of bile.
    I remember someone posting about his then 4yo nearly getting knocked down cycling across a ped crossing when he had the green light, most of the comments were about how he shouldn't be cycling on the footpath (remember he was 4 FFS).

However when a van driver drove onto the protected cycle path/footpath by the coast last year and killed a woman, the rush to excuse his actions, label it a medical episode etc without any proof was something to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

There are plenty of those on the Raheny FB page unfortunately. Any post about cyclists/cycling attracts such an incredible amount of bile.
    I remember someone posting about his then 4yo nearly getting knocked down cycling across a ped crossing when he had the green light, most of the comments were about how he shouldn't be cycling on the footpath (remember he was 4 FFS).

However when a van driver drove onto the protected cycle path/footpath by the coast last year and killed a woman, the rush to excuse his actions, label it a medical episode etc without any proof was something to behold.

Yep, thoughts and prayers. Cars are to some of us what guns are to [some] Americans.

Edit:

And when you put all that in the context of the world reality like this:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2021/0615/1228249-arctic/

It really boils my piss. These stupid people will still be moaning about "dem cyclists thinkin they're in the Tour de France" the day their big tanks get washed off their f***** driveways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I had a big row with the admin of a local FB group recently, who posted video footage of the new cycle lane which in turn prompted some really nasty remarks.

My take was that they were looking to 'generate debate' to put it euphemistically - a debate which always involved one group getting it in the neck from another group - they said that wasnt the case.

Regardless - what annoys the fup out of me is that all these local FB groups say they have standards and rules, courtesy and respect should be shown etc etc, and these are never policed.

I would actually say there is so much aggression on them, that they shouldnt be made available to children under 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Regardless - what annoys the fup out of me is that all these local FB groups say they have standards and rules, courtesy and respect should be shown etc etc, and these are never policed.

Very selectively policed in the case of the Raheny one. One of the admins is very much in the driver's corner and weighs in herself with nonsensical comments at times. You're p1ssing into the wind trying to have a reasoned argument there.
    I would actually say there is so much aggression on them, that they shouldnt be made available to children under 16.

The aggression levels are really disturbing, I remember fairly pointed comments about people with bike trailers in the area at one point. To my knowledge at the time there were only 2 or 3 families who used trailers regularly, it makes you feel deeply uncomfortable and gives all the more reason for having cameras on the bike, even when just going to the park or beach with the kids :(

Very selectively policed in the case of the Raheny one. One of the admins is very much in the driver's corner and weighs in herself with nonsensical comments at times. You're p1ssing into the wind trying to have a reasoned argument there.

The aggression levels are really disturbing, I remember fairly pointed comments about people with bike trailers in the area at one point. To my knowledge at the time there were only 2 or 3 families who used trailers regularly, makes you feel deeply uncomfortable and all the more reason for having cameras on the bike, even when just going to the park or beach with the kids :(

I left the Drumcondra Social page, just got sick of it. Why should I - as a cyclist - be exposed to consistent abuse in this way. Mods were doing nothing about it, so I just left.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah here, it was hardly abuse on the drumcondra social page? not that i remember seeing any anyway.
    and there were often more yay-sayers than nay sayers.

ah here, it was hardly abuse on the drumcondra social page? not that i remember seeing any anyway.
    and there were often more yay-sayers than nay sayers.

There is a consistent narrative of anti-cycling (drivers principall) on the attack, and pro-cycling having to defend themselves.

Rarely if ever the other way around.

There is a large cohort there that you can guarantee will be involved in any discussion that involves giving out about cyclists.

I got fed up with it.

And discussions on cycling were quite frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I suppose this is more pedestrianisation on the North Side, rather than cycling infrastructure, but I think the attempt to undo the pedestrianisation in Malahide through the courts hasn't succeeded.

Though I think that's only a failure of the attempt to cause immediate removal? Still, seems like good news.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you read the follow up tweet, it seems that she sought an injunction for the removal of the scheme pending a decision on the legality of it; but the judge refused the injuction but is still going to rule on the legality.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Only the application for an immediate injunction was rejected, the full Judicial Review of Fingal CCs work will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Until planning law is changed to treat cycling infrastructure the same way as any other infrastructure essential to health, this will go on. When that happens, cycling infrastructure will become the norm, and it will become obvious that it's useful for health and good for retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So have they just given up on the Clontarf to Amiens St works?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The last update was that the tender went out and was to be awarded at some point towards the end of the year and then construction starting next year

I thought the last update said construction would start last month

Think that was under the premise that the tender was completed by April and a contractor ready to go, but I don't think there's been one chosen yet. At least not according to DCC who've updated their site to say one will be chose 'later this year'

Does it have planning permission?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

They received tenders for construction in May. They're being evaluated and a contractor should be appointed soon for construction to start in a few months. Although, they're still fretting about the design of the bus stop islands in the C2CC project because they're being lobbied to remove them by a handful of people led by Gary Kearney — the guy who despises cyclists and told Ciaran Cannon to hobble on after he was hit by a car and severely injured.

That may cause some delays because they still haven't settled on the final design of that aspect.

Royal Canal Greenway Phase 3 (North Strand Road to Cross Guns) has the same timeline but should start construction soon after the contract is awarded. The project lead said in July that it's intended to award the contract in September.

Phase 4 of Royal Canal is being amended slightly and they have to go back to the council members to amend the original Part 8 planning permission. They keep saying it'll start construction before the end of the year but that's not gonna happen now.

They're the only large-scale projects coming up on the Northside aside from quick-build projects.

On the quick-build side, the Collins Avenue Extension cycle lane upgrade (outside DCU) using extruded kerbs like on Griffith Avenue Extension should start construction in September. That won't take longer than a few weeks.

They say they started work on the Griffith Avenue/Ballymun Road junction to link up the cycle lanes on either side but there was nothing going on the last time I was there.

Thanks Peregrine. I used to cycle to school in Fairview many moons ago and it has just got progressively worse. I will be amazed if the works ever actually happen. That Gary Kearney bloke is an absolute wanker too, on all things from cycling to climate change.

• Advertisement

Yep from 2017 or something. Most of the work on Part 8 projects happen after the permission is granted. It's an unusual process where the council members grant the council executive permission to build council projects that don't require environmental impact assessments or aren't just minor projects either. Medium scale projects, I suppose. The details presented at the vote are usually closer to a concept than a final design and the details are fleshed out afterwards.

I think the initial permission for the Royal Canal Greenway is from 2015.

the junction between griffith avenue and griffith avenue extension seems to be having a lot of work done to it at the moment - unsure as to whether this is in relation to the cycle lane though?

The new kerb-protected cycle lane on Griffith Avenue Extension and the bollard protected cycle lane on Griffith Avenue will be connected through the gyratory. So the southern section of the triangle which is currently four lanes going west will be changed to two lanes going west and a cycle lane each way.

Edit: Went down to have a look and, yep, that's definitely it. New pedestrian crossings as well.

Post edited by Peregrine on

Climate change as well? He's the full package then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I don't see why they're entertaining any complaints about the island bus stops. There's already loads of them all over the city and county and they're fine, there's no conflict between cyclists and pedestrians.

They're already in place on this specific route too and there's never been any incidents as far as I've heard

It's the extruding kerb type. They should be finished in 2-3 weeks.

Any word on Griffith Avenue being extended?

There are some very heavy construction works going on at the Marino end of it with trucks exiting the apartment new build as well as substantial roadworks. Unfortunately I would imagine this will limit progress on the cycle path in the near term.

• Advertisement

A contractor has been chosen for the Clontarf to City Centre (C2CC) project. The contract will be signed in November after necessary procedures are carried out in October.

Work on Collins Avenue Extension started on Tuesday with a few sections already finished.

Advertisement