Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycle infrastructure planned for north Dublin

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Looking at some of the responses to the above tweet, seemingly they have a car park, there is a bus stop across the road and there is another car park 100m down the road but still, no to the cycle path because it will stop people parking where they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There’s no real parking along that stretch anyways, there’s a cycle lane there currently but they just park up on it and block the narrow as it is path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,112 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

"cycling is religious persecution" - that's a new one to add to "cycling increases pollution" and "cycling is anti-disabled"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Translation: "our mainly car-driving members have been abusing vulnerable road users for years by parking where they like just because they could, and now you're going to do something that's going to put a stop to it! WAH WAH WAH it's not fair WAH WAH WAH"

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ARX

You forgot "ageist".

No doubt in the fullness of time it'll be sexist, racist and transphobic as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Car park looks like it can hold less than ten cars. Which should be enough for regular congregation for a presbyterian service.

If the congregants were getting paid a thousand euro a head for each car they managed to fit into that car park every Sunday I'd say they'd manage to get about 20 cars in there.

At 5 people per car (Covid won't be forever) that's a hundred people. I'm sure some Christian souls would be happy to collect anyone who wanted to attend but wasn't one of the lucky hundred.

EDIT: the church capacity is 150. As the proposed cycle lane would "block accessibility to worship for 99% of the congregation" that's 1.5 persons who can get to the church by some means other than driving, so that's 48.5 persons who would have to be collected.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

crossed griffith avenue from old ballymun road to ballymun road yesterday while out walking; i.e. we passed the work on the junction there to make it more cyclist friendly. one thing i will say, i would consider buying shares in traffic light and traffic pole manufacturers, they'll have a bumper year from this year alone. there are dozens of poles there - probably 30?

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Looking at the design, I feel there's going to be a fair few accidents for a while. It was always bad, but never thought it dangerous but inconvenient. I think they're trying to make it safer,l for cyclists, but old habits are going to see accidents happen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cyclists heading the way we were coming will have to shimmy twice; they'll be pulled into a path specifically for bikes and then pushed back out of it. it seemed... inelegant.

Looks like someone needs good PR advice - originally posted on Friday at the launch of the Hole in the Wall extension, Fingal and Dublin City mayors think it is a good idea to pose for a photo-op whilst holding their disposable coffee cups beside cars parked in the shiny new cycle lane...

Where exactly is that road extension?

Here (although it's not on the map): https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4097578,-6.1613113,561m/data=!3m1!1e3

It joins from the spur in the above map to the junction of Drumnigh & Mayne Rds

Fingal Co Co page on it: https://www.fingal.ie/news/fingal-council-appoints-contractor-start-work-hole-wall-road-mayne-road-junction-upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Jesus, the amount of wanky comments on twitter would make you puke.

The truck was pulling a coffee trailer supplying refreshments. The road wasn't even open to traffic yet at the time of the photo, as can clearly be seen by the black Audi parked sideways across the lane and the people standing around chatting.

The endless churlishness from the cycling lobby is one of the main reasons there is such push back, just for the sake of it.

Is churlish your word of the day? To say there is endless churlishness suggest you don't exactly know what it means, but I think you do, and you're being deliberately selective to paint a lazy stereotype

• Advertisement

Is the cycle lane able to take the weight of a truck without damage? The new cycle lanes on Lower Kilmacud Road near the Stillorgan Shopping Centre seem to be a thin layer of tarmac on top of a bed of sand, and they are already uneven. Would the weight of a lorry damage something like that?

The truck was pulling a coffee trailer supplying refreshments. The road wasn't even open to traffic yet at the time of the photo, as can clearly be seen by the black Audi parked sideways across the lane and the people standing around chatting.

The truck had to mount a kerb, cross a grass verge and then plonk itself on the cycle path. Why would they do this when they could have literally parked blocking the whole road like the Audi? There appears to be absolutely no reason for it to be parked there.

The simple answer is that it was there because that is the convention. "Can't be blocking the road - f*ck cyclists, sure they can go around me". Its the same across the country. Any cycling infrastructure is there to get people on bikes out of the way of drivers and it is down to bad planning and a complete ignoring of DMURS. Cyclists should be grateful for the tit-bits of infrastructure provided and stop getting into a strop if I block it for a while. It is because officially in Ireland we don't give a sh*t about tossers on bikes, ass your post pretty much confirms.

mod note: if you think someone is trolling, report it. otherwise you're just going to start arguments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,757 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The first condition being that the tender price in may is still valid. Well its not, left it way too long, costs have spiraled. I doubt this will happen tbh. But fingers crossed it will.

You're correct, there's not a snowballs that the tender process won't have to be rerun.

But, no reason construction shouldn't begin in the Autumn, if they get through the process efficiently.

Well it couldn't be doen efficiently this year and there hasn't been any reform of how the state/council functions so logically there'll be 0 progress next year also.

Independent are reporting that it’ll be April at the earliest before construction will begin on the C2CC route

That's really desperate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

On a related note, are we coming up for two years that they've been putting the Griffith Avenue cycle lane in place. I'd say the M50 got built quicker.

And I'm not entirely sure about the bit they're doing at the Griffith avenue extension.

It looks a terrible deisgn for bikes, pedestrians and vehicular traffic and I'm imagining it to be all sorts of chaotic.

yeah, looks like a bad compromise all round. looks like bikes will have to shimmy through it?

• Advertisement

"Most of the route had Part 8 planning approval".

Interesting then that the same City Council is currently appealing a judgement against it concerning another location, where its failure to get that level of necessary approval, resulted in the Courts putting a stop to their work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

This new junction has a path/cycle track beneath it that goes along the river behind the various apartment blocks. The path continues but access is currently blocked with temporary fencing. Checking Google maps it looks like this could be easily extended to link up with the Baldoyle/Portmarnock greenway.

I cannot find any plans or details online however. Anybody know whats happening or planned there ? Would be a great addition to the area.

heh, i just watched that and came in here to post it. fair play to jimmy guerin, not the source i'd have been expecting for that input.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Holy crap, that was awesome.

Not only Cllr Guerins photos, but the widespread acknowledgement of their responsibilities wrt pedestrians, PWD and cyclists.

They pulled no punches on highlighting that to support that motion was to support illegal parking on bike lanes and paths over protecting vulnerable users of the road.

Swear to god that clip gives me hope that things have finally, FINALLY changed......in Dublin anyway.

Galway will be along any decade now

i'd say it's infuriating to that core of anti-cyclist sentiment in howth, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheHouseIRL

Just watched the video of the meeting, ironic that the youngest councillor has the most outdated views. She at one stage, after another attendee had explained the hierarchy of road users in terms of vulnerability, had the neck to say "There are people in those cars that are parked. The cars don't just drive around and park themselves", as if it was something that would strengthen her motion.

Coming from a member of the Climate Action, Biodiversity and Environment SPC, utter madness.

Delighted to see some common sense in that meeting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

What 'core of anti-cyclist sentiment in Howth'?

Much the same as the core of anti-cycling sentiment anywhere I'd wager.

• Advertisement

People in Howth actually put up signs complaining about cyclists. Do you get that in every other anti-cycling area? I imagine that's what he's getting at.

i think you've already answered the question you seem to have posed at me.

In shock at how immature that response was. Sounded like rather than listening to why everyone was against the motion, it was taken as a personal attack or something. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Etc

Signs were put up in Howth, was it people or an individual, nobody knows, so it’s a generalisation to say there is a core of people. I live in Sutton and cycle around the area including the whole of Howth regularly and see no more issues there than anywhere else I cycle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Dowee

Furthermore, there were signs up in relation to Road Racing / MAMIL / "Tour De France" (or whatever ridiculous label you wish to use) cyclists. Not cyclists in general. It's about time this "cyclist" image was changed in people's mindsets. They are people on bikes, the majority of whom are looking to get get from A to B, safely.

If someone put up a "No Boy Racers" sign in an area, would the area be seen as anti motorist?

That would be my own experience.

If you refer to the opposition to the Sutton cycle lanes from the discussed vested interests, i'd imagine there would be similar opposition to any such project, I know there was to the cycle lanes in Baldoyle for example, not to mention the reported objection to schemes in Malahide / Sandymount / Dundrum / Dun Laoghaire etc. There's always going to be objections to change, be them genuine or from cranks, its not specific to any one area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Bit harsh to compare boy racers to people on road bikes wearing lycra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

The Jimmy Guerin contribution was excellent, I'll be emailing him today to thank him along with the other councillors who spoke so well.

I'm worried though about the overall scheme and will be cycling it with my 5yo tomorrow to give it a closer look. From a cycle that way on Wednesday night it looks like the 2 main junctions (Sutton cross and Offington park) will remain completely unprotected, as will various stretches along the way such as outside Burrow national school and the dangerous (for cyclists) bend just before the Offington park junction. Hopefully that's just going to be in the short term but for now it means it will remain incomplete.

The section I mentioned above outside Burrow national school where they won't be installing bollards - it was lined with parked cars on Wednesday night, despite all of the other bollards having been installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Dowee

I came back here to potentially edit that as the exact same thing just occured to me :). Ah well, I'm sure point will get the point!

For the record, I too cycle a road bike in lycra, as well as other bikes, in other clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

People on fixies. They're the real boy racers...

I was cursing the bollards on my cycle home last night, certain people are given parking inside them (builders working on a house and a taxi driver at the GP's) and, due to the tight spacing of the bollards, you have to slow right down and exit the cycle lane into traffic. Net result is, without enforcement, the section is actually more dangerous than it was.

Aside from that, fair play to Jimmy Guerin, thats great stuff he did!

• Advertisement
Advertisement