Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

The road my parents live on is a regional route, has a Garda Station, and is a major route for ambulances. It also has ramps, so your idea that they wouldn’t be installed on a R road due to emergency services is bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Sure, not always, but Dublin Fire Brigade (who also run the emergency ambulance response in the City) have succeeded in advising against ramps on many of their preferred routes in favour of speed cushions and chicane treatments.

Also residents on a lot of main routes are disturbed, especially at night, by the sound of vehicles thumping over ramps, even at low speed, and we know how powerful the Sandymount residents are so.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The ramps don't make much of a difference to street noise and anyone who thinks they do, needs to realiae that road noise is a disturbance anyway. That's specific to the type of ramp they can put in of course as some are shite, but solution is to not use shite ones

If Ramps bother them, he solution is to move and reduce traffic.

It's such an insanely stupid argument imo and real bottom of the barrel searching for excuses

• Registered Users Posts: 24,582 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

We tried loading bays in Limerick. Council gave up because they were always full of illegally parked cars

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

This is so infuriating, so Irish. "People break the law so no point"..."How about enforcing the law"?..."Oh no, that would annoy them"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We live by a speed ramp (on an R road that is the direct access for ambulances, mountain rescue, and in before times full of buses/ coaches 🙄 ) and main noise is from HGV's, which will be banned anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,582 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The good news at least is after reverting to parking it became outdoor seating for a pub

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ImportMeHappy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Economics101

What a simplistic and intolerant argument. "The solution is move..." if ramps are a bother. Do you think moving house is ever easy, or maybe even affordable?

Ramps cause extra wear to road vehicles (you would probably approve of that!). They also cause local pollution as vehicles accelerate away from them, and the constant braking and acceleration wastes energy (and therefore fuel). As for "shite" ramps, I have little confidence in our local authorities to produce ramps of a consistent quality, and to maintain them.

But then , maybe I'm making another stupid argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Pretty sure the poster was saying to move the traffic elsewhere. And reduce traffic at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They only cause damage to vehicle if they are driven over too fast. That's a people problem. And yes, it wasn't to move house, it was to move the traffic.

There are some types of speed ramps that are crap granted, but generally, it's not the ramp that's the cause of any damage, it's the driver.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Your not alone, my partner doesn't drive over ramps correctly either. You aren't meant to accelerate away like you are taking off at a grand prix and then brake hard on approach, you are meant to keep a low enough speed in the area in general. I typically stay at an appropriate speed but completely take my foot off the accelerator as I approach, and then lightly press it on the other side (not rev up as loads of people seem to). You certainly don't burn much if any more fuel if you drive correctly and at an appropriate speed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Do you mind me asking for a link, the only thing I could find on google was a boards discussion from years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not much point in asking him for a link at the moment.

If ramps slow people down, then there are inevitable consequences. There has to be some element of braking before you get to them, and some acceleration after the ramp. I think the laws of physics have something to say about the consequences of that for energy use. The braking can be via use of engine in low gear, but that's just another way of dissipating kinetic energy.

I would agree that ramps should be handled carefully by drivers, but they vary so much in profile that a nice smooth passage is not always possible.

Of course if you drive really slowly (10kph) then ramps are no problem at all. Except for time wasted, traffic jammed and probably fuel waster as people drive in 1st of 2nd gear.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ramps do seem like a poorer solution than other traffic calming measures. Never been a big fan of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

There's so many holes in that argument it's hard to know where to start.

Ramps are for the most part going to be in areas where you are supposed to drive at a low speed. The object of them isn't to go as fast as you can between them and brake or reduce gear to slow down right before them. If you cruise at say 30kmph in a ramp area you can just ease off the accelerator in advance of the ramp, roll over and then ease your foot back onto the accelerator, this is a fairly basic driving skill.

The ramps are not an obstacale to be overcome in one's attempt to go at the fastest speed possible down a road, they are most likely there to slow you down because the speeds that inconsiderate morons drove at before they were there was inappropriate and dangerous to other road users and pedestrians.

Post edited by Dowee on

I'd contend the biggest problem with speed ramps is they're too far apart to really effect speed/ reduce speeding. So we have the slow for the ramp, accelerate up above the speed limit, brake for the next ramp. All because motorists won't stick to the posted limit.

The gardaí used to fairly regularly have a speed trap between speed ramps approaching and exiting my village (and have a line up of "fish in a barrel" caught).

Post edited by Macy0161 on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yes, in my experience, like in 30km/h zones, lightly engaging the accelerator in third gear pretty much gets you in the right zone for these low-speed areas, and sets up transition over speed ramps just fine.

I'd regularly use the cruise control in urban areas too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

That's interesting. I haven't got round to finding out where the cruise control (if any) is on the cars I've rented in Dublin, but that seems to make sense as a practice.

"When appropriate" I should've added. I tend to do it through part of the village 50km zone - I'm quite often overtaken, particularly in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

In my car I can only set cruise after 30kmph. Coincidentally the same speed limit as my area. It's great for the downhill stretch with the "your speed" display (outside a school). The highest I've seen (albeit on a weekend) was 74.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

You're only supposed to use it on motorways, aren't you? Where there should be minimal pedal-use required. I wouldn't even use it on the M50, unless it was empty.

It's effectively a speed limiter in these circumstances - I'm paying full attention. As soon as I touch the brake it comes off. To engage it's less hand movement than putting on/ off the full headlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

Cruise control, maybe. ACC is fine to use in lots of conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I only ever use cruise on quiet sections of motorway.

There is a speed limiter function on the car as well, I occasionally use this if I'm on a wide road with a low limit where it's easy to let the speed drift up.

Well it works for me, and I feel I'm in control of the car and able to react. Not sure how it'd be different to a speed limiter tbh in reality - my right foot is covering the brake, as opposed to being on the accelerator.

I never advocated going fast between ramps, but especially when ramps are in a 50kph zone there will inevitably be braking and acceleration. I actually advocated careful use of ramps by drivers. As for the energy losses in braking and acceleration, do you want to question basic physics? Please read what I actually wrote and make your criticisms address what I actually said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

You said:

"If ramps slow people down, then there are inevitable consequences. There has to be some element of braking before you get to them, and some acceleration after the ramp."

I highlighted how that is not the case. You are basing your argument on the "fact" that there has to be braking and acceleration, that is completely false.

You've now introduced 50kmph zones into the argument, which weren't in your original comment. Just because ramps are in a 50kmph zone doesn't mean you have to drive 50kmph until you're close to the ramp and then brake, you can take your foot off the accelator and have the car slow down naturally. Also 50kmph is the max speed, not the target or obligatory speed.

Advertisement