Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/aaronwilson_nfl/status/1377302732722352134?s=21

Some other masseuses who worked with deshaun Watson giving their experiences of working with him and it’s obviously starkly different to the others. I’m not sure the comments saying they believe the other women are necessary though.

So he has about 20 masseuses saying he assaulted or harassed them.
    His defence is that he has about 18 masseuses saying he didn't assault or harass them.
    Meaning he has nearly FORTY masseuses. Yeah that's totally normal Deshaun, good save, nobody will think you're a creep now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

His defence is that he has about 18 masseuses saying he didn't assault or harass them.
    Meaning he has nearly FORTY masseuses. Yeah that's totally normal Deshaun, good save, nobody will think you're a creep now.

When you put it like that RDS it doesn’t have the impact that maybe the legal team thinks it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I think the normal or creep thing is out of the box now and isn't going back in so bringing in character witnesses isn't the worst tactic. It isn't like players and owners don't pay for a lot worse than massages.

The approach of the other side is even more questionable, after doing a huge song and dance for weeks that he was going to submit a file of the complaints to the police, the lawyer going after Watson now says he won't do it due to some complicated claim of potential bias. It looks like at least one of the complainants told him they weren't putting themselves in criminal jeopardy over the claims by making statements.

The whole thing is a car crash.

So the sister of the chargers owner dean spanos has gone to court to force her family to sell the team. It’ll be interesting to see her reasons for this move. Would chargers on here be happy if the spanos family and more specifically dean spanos sold the team ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

So the sister of the chargers owner dean spanos has gone to court to force her family to sell the team. It’ll be interesting to see her reasons for this move. Would chargers on here be happy if the spanos family and more specifically dean spanos sold the team ?

Seems to be a strange move by her. Debt is quite low for the chargers and their value has absolutely soared, and from first view, she doesn't have any authority to ask for the chargers to be sold.

Dean had previously committed to looking at selling the team in 2024, but I don't think that is or was ever the actual plan.

Dean isn't the best owner but they seem to be in a great situation. One of the best stadiums in the league to call home with no costs. His management of the team is probably more the issue, him and his son.

Wasted a hugely talented team when Ladanion was part of the team. Now with Herbert the worry is they will waste his talents too.

• Advertisement

Just to follow on from the post about the chargers. It’s seems this sister and dean spanos are co administrators of the family trust which accounts for 39 % of the team and according to dea spanos the trust is nearly $400 million in debt and there’s the 650 relocation fee they have to pay back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The Charges to LA has the hallmarks of a short stay really. Poor ticket sales suggest there's not really a fan base to sell the stadium. They've all the big names coming to town this eyar so they'll sell a lot of tickets, but it'll be 50/50 Chargers V away fans at most games this season. With the stadium being handed to them they've very little tying them to LA. Wouldn't be surprised to see a new owner looking to relocate the team

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Shedite27 wrote: »
    The Charges to LA has the hallmarks of a short stay really. Poor ticket sales suggest there's not really a fan base to sell the stadium. They've all the big names coming to town this eyar so they'll sell a lot of tickets, but it'll be 50/50 Chargers V away fans at most games this season. With the stadium being handed to them they've very little tying them to LA. Wouldn't be surprised to see a new owner looking to relocate the team

I believe the Chargers season tickets have been very strong. 2nd best in the league.

Problem with relocation is, if they are bought over, they'll be bought based on the LA Market valuation, so they won't be packing their bags unless they have to, because anywhere else their valuation will plummet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

paulie21 wrote: »
    See the Falcons have announced their playing an international game in Tottenham stadium in October for what it's worth

That's a lot of bottling vibes!

That's a lot of bottling vibes!

Ah well let’s be fair I think Spurs could recover an onside kick when needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Rochey18 wrote: »
    I believe the Chargers season tickets have been very strong. 2nd best in the league.

Problem with relocation is, if they are bought over, they'll be bought based on the LA Market valuation, so they won't be packing their bags unless they have to, because anywhere else their valuation will plummet.
    Really? this time last year they only had 25,000 season tickets sold out of 70,000 for their first season at SoFi. They were talking of cutting all prices and licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Very grim reading here.

https://www.espn.com.au/nfl/story/_/id/31214902/report-former-nfl-player-phillip-adams-kills-5-himself
    Former NFL player Phillip Adams kills five in South Carolina, then himself, authorities say

ROCK HILL, S.C. -- Former NFL player Phillip Adams fatally shot five people, including a prominent doctor, his wife and their two grandchildren, before later killing himself, authorities said Thursday.

York County Sheriff Kevin Tolson told a news conference Thursday that investigators had not yet determined a motive in the mass shooting Wednesday.

"There's nothing right now that makes sense to any of us," Tolson said.

Dr. Robert Lesslie, 70, and his wife, Barbara, 69, were pronounced dead at the scene Wednesday, along with their grandchildren Adah Lesslie, 9, and Noah Lesslie, 5.

A man who had been working at the home, James Lewis, 38, from Gaston, was found shot to death outside. A sixth victim, Robert Shook, 38, of Cherryville, North Carolina, was flown to a Charlotte hospital, where he was in critical condition "fighting hard for his life,'' said a cousin, Heather Smith Thompson.

At Thursday's news conference, Tolson played audio of two 911 calls related to the shooting, the first from an HVAC company that employed Lewis and the other person doing work at the Lesslie home. One of them, the caller said, had called him "screaming" and saying that he had been shot and that his co-worker was shot and "unresponsive."

"I think there's been a bad shooting," a different man said in a second 911 call, saying he was outside cutting his grass and heard "about 20" shots fired at the Lesslie home before seeing someone leave the house.

Tolson said evidence left at the scene of the shooting led them to Adams as a suspect. He said they went to Adams' parents' home, evacuated them and then tried to talk Adams out of the house. Eventually, they found him dead of a single gunshot wound to the head in a bedroom, he said. Adams was 32.

Tolson said both a .45 and a 9mm handgun were used in Wednesday's shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,604 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That's awful. His sister said he was struggling for a while, says he was looking for disability from the NFL and they were making it difficult.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2021/04/08/phillip-adams-football-ex-nfl-players-mental-health-degraded-fast/7146442002/

Grim is one way of describing it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Don't know if anyone here follows Aaron Wilson. He used to be a reporter for the Baltimore Sun on the Ravens and was very well regarded. Often had league-wide news too, not just for Baltimore. One of the "if he says it, it's true" type reporters. He moved to the Houston Chronicle to cover the Texans and kept that reputation.

Anyway, he got fired today for comments he made about the DeShaun Watson accusers. He said "you don't negotiate with terrorists". I get what he was trying to say - and this was when the allegations were very new (and very fewer) - but damn, talk about poor phrasing.

Don't know if anyone here follows Aaron Wilson. He used to be a reporter for the Baltimore Sun on the Ravens and was very well regarded. Often had league-wide news too, not just for Baltimore. One of the "if he says it, it's true" type reporters. He moved to the Houston Chronicle to cover the Texans and kept that reputation.

Anyway, he got fired today for comments he made about the DeShaun Watson accusers. He said "you don't negotiate with terrorists". I get what he was trying to say - and this was when the allegations were very new (and very fewer) - but damn, talk about poor phrasing.

There was literally hundreds of words beside that he could have used.

There was literally hundreds of words beside that he could have used.

Or, like, no words at all until he knows what's going on.

I’m a couple of days behind on this news but as part of the 17 game season the MNF double dip game is no more which is a welcome change because never mind us here in Ireland when that game started at 3am, but on the east coast of America it started at 10pm. ESPN are getting a week 18 double header instead.

Britt Reid finally gets charged. Speeding as well as being drunk, the tests show his '2 or 3 drinks' claim at the time was lies. Hopefully he gets some serious time, especially given his priors and the long term impact to the kid. There's a chance the Chiefs could be in some trouble too if it turns out anyone there knew he was drinking and let him drive home.

https://twitter.com/DiaWall/status/1381663124781203462?s=20

The Denver broncos players have released a statement through the NFLPA saying they will not be involved in off season workouts due to start next week because they don’t feel the safety protocols are in place for them to do it safely. They also stated that the Covid-19 cases are higher now than they were this time last year and they argue the level of play last season didn’t suffer due to an almost completely virtual off season.

• Advertisement

The Denver broncos players have released a statement through the NFLPA saying they will not be involved in off season workouts due to start next week because they don’t feel the safety protocols are in place for them to do it safely. They also stated that the Covid-19 cases are higher now than they were this time last year and they argue the level of play last season didn’t suffer due to an almost completely virtual off season.

I didn't notice a major drop in the level of play but my perception was that injuries were a lot higher. But I don't know if that's actually the case, would be interesting to see stats.

Either way, is this a broncos problem or an nfl problem? I wonder if they were the only ones doing everything virtual would their play suffer relative to the opposition?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I didn't notice a major drop in the level of play but my perception was that injuries were a lot higher. But I don't know if that's actually the case, would be interesting to see stats.

Either way, is this a broncos problem or an nfl problem? I wonder if they were the only ones doing everything virtual would their play suffer relative to the opposition?

Seahawks players put out a similar statement just after us.

Seahawks players put out a similar statement just after us.

Lions, Bucs, and some Patriots players have released statements that they are skipping them also.

Arians made a good point earlier in the year that for many veterans virtual OTAs is a gift, less reps for young players means less likely the young players take their jobs.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Lions, Bucs, and some Patriots players have released statements that they are skipping them also.

Arians made a good point earlier in the year that for many veterans virtual OTAs is a gift, less reps for young players means less likely the young players take their jobs.

We’re they released through the NFLPA also ?

We’re they released through the NFLPA also ?

Yeah, all three of them dripped out today. Sounds like the NFLPA won't be pushing too hard on teams where players are likely to lose significant bonuses.

https://twitter.com/NFLPA/status/1382114157097582597?s=20

https://twitter.com/NFLPA/status/1382335746242138113?s=20

https://twitter.com/NFLPA/status/1382374250028408832?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Christy42

Aaron Donald accused of assault in Pittsburgh. General gist I get online is the other guy started it but I haven't a source for that plenty of salt with that.

If someone did start a fight with AD he is dumb dude. That is not a fight you should want to be a part of.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Aaron Donald accused of assault in Pittsburgh. General gist I get online is the other guy started it but I haven't a source for that plenty of salt with that.

If someone did start a fight with AD he is dumb dude. That is not a fight you should want to be a part of.

I saw someone say on Twitter “why would you start a fight with AD? “ The obvious answer is you wouldn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Blut2

The other guy spilled a drink on Donald and then got an absolute beating for his troubles according to the accounts so far. Lots of reports on the extent of his injuries.

And, yeah I'd agree that even those reports aside, I'm not sure how likely it is that anyone would start a fight with 130KG/285LBs of aggressive muscle Aaron Donald...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Blut2 wrote: »
    The other guy spilled a drink on Donald and then got an absolute beating for his troubles according to the accounts so far. Lots of reports on the extent of his injuries.

And, yeah I'd agree that even those reports aside, I'm not sure how likely it is that anyone would start a fight with 130KG/285LBs of aggressive muscle Aaron Donald...
    Prob a few million payout would have many do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

This might sound a bit callous, but is anyone else getting bored of the prolonged mourning of Wess on Around the NFL podcast?

I know its a quiet time of the year news-wise around the league, but they do seem to spend an inordinate amount of time remembering him. Like surely Julian Edelman deserves a tribute show of his own, but nope let's spend 25 mins discussing Wess, again.

They need to take an extended break to properly mourn I think.

Advertisement