Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,362 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

How many times has this happened to you, You have a giant Hollywood Blockbuster about to go into production, But it turns out your leading man is an alleged cannibal :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM-E4QDjE3M/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So I was listening to a podcast, and one of its members made an interesting assertion that got me thinking: that Tony Scott has/had the better career.

Now at first, I snorted in derision, but the explanation given kinda stuck with me and ... yeah. Maybe there's something to it. The thinking basically amounting to: Ridley Scott's highs made for iconic, timeless cinema (Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator), but he has also made some pretty abysmal movies like Robin Hood, A Good Year, The Counselor. His lows have been quite pronounced. Whereas with Tony Scott, while he never made anything you could call high art, rarely made anything less than entertaining, solid movies. With a few stone-cold classics like Top Gun or Crimson Tide (IMO, Beverley Hills Cop II was the best in the series). Domino was probably his low-point, but much of everything else was generally reliable blockbuster material.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^
    Hmmmmm...it would make for an interesting debate (what's the podcast?)

But, looking through each filmography, I can see that Ridley has the following that I would consider good (The Duellists, Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Kingdom of Heaven DC, The Martian). While the brother has (The Hunger and True Romance). I can't remember whether I thought Crimson Tide was any "good", but I recall it as enjoyable enough. The rest of Tony Scott's output I wouldn't consider of much worth.

Was Robin Hood really that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Tony EH wrote: »
    Was Robin Hood really that bad?
    I thought it was decent if a little uninspired, but if that's a career low, sign me up for the box set. Anyway, I'd pick out White Squall, Body of Lies, Matchstick Men, American Gangster, and Prometheus as the films of his I haven't enjoyed, which pale next to the list of those I have.

Whereas Tony has lows like The Last Boy Scout, Enemy of the State, Deja Vu, and Days of Thunder, but I'd only really rate Top Gun, True Romance, and Crimson Tide as hits.

Of course, I know many disagree on some of the films I've listed for both categories of each of them.

I don't have time to be systematic, but I sampled some of their filmographies on imdb, and nothing had a rating under 5.9, though Ridley's highs were considerably higher.

Yeah, I recall 'Robin Hood' as being ok. Enjoyable enough, if joyless. But I really only remember the opening battle. 'Prometheus' is one of the absolute dumbest big budget movies I've ever seen and part of Scott's self destructive period, where he practically craps all over the Alien universe.

Tony, on the other hand, just has a lot of meh. Too many of his movies hover around either side of the 5/10 mark for me as opposed to Ridley who has absolute classics to his name and some good if not excellent films too, like 'Thelma and Louise'.

As for 'Top Gun', I know a lot of folk like it (mostly for "ironic" or nostalgic reasons), but I've always thought that that movie was bloody awful.

• Advertisement

I loved a good Tony Scott film and the The Last Boy Scout is the one I go back to most.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

No mention of Man on Fire? My absolute fav Tony Scott movie - just love it. Just looking back as well he has some gems. e.g. Revenge, with a young Madeline Stowe. Wow.

I don't think its possible to compare the brothers output... Ridley mostly associated with his SF and historical epics.... Tony with his smart actioners. Both with excellent outliers though.

Both have genre defining credits... Alien.... Top Gun. (Maybe Ridley has more here...)

Nope. Can't call it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The comparison wasn't so much direct film for film or qualities therein, but the idea of consistency within the brothers career; that Ridley's CV is a bit all over the place, you certainly can't be sure with any of his films what you'll get; with Tony instead being a more constant performer. Maybe lacking the outright classics but his films rarely less than solid popcorn entertainment all the same. And in this day and age of shared universes and films as superficial theme park rides, it's easy to forget directors used to "just" make solid, adventure and action films
    Tony EH wrote: »
    ^
    Hmmmmm...it would make for an interesting debate (what's the podcast?)

It's called "The Rewatchables", which IIRC Dades recommended in a separate thread on podcasts. They were chatting about one of the Scotts' films, forget which one. As an aside one of the guests opined as to Tony's less jagged graph of a career.

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's called "The Rewatchables", which IIRC Dades recommended in a separate thread on podcasts. They were chatting about one of the Scotts' films, forget which one. As an aside one of the guests opined as to Tony's less jagged graph of a career.

Ah right. Well, "less jagged" maybe. You could have a list of 4/10 movies and have a "less jagged" career. But certainly I think the "better" career, over all, has been Ridley's, despite some humdingers being in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

For any Jessie Buckley fans, she is in a theatre/film hybrid production in Lyttelton Theatre, London; on tonight on Sky Arts:

"Jessie Buckley (Wild Rose, Judy) and Josh O’Connor (The Crown, God’s Own Country) play Juliet and Romeo. The award-winning cast includes Tamsin Greig, Fisayo Akinade, Adrian Lester, Lucian Msamati, Deborah Findlay.

Romeo & Juliet is premiering at 9pm Sunday 4 April on Sky Arts (UK) and 9pm Friday 23 April on PBS (US)."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

Interesting turn form Netflix. Add this to the list of want to watch but will probably never get around to it.

https://heritagetribune.eu/france/napoleon-conqueres-netflix-streaming-service-supports-french-film-heritage/

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I loved a good Tony Scott film and the The Last Boy Scout is the one I go back to most.

"I'm just tryna break the ice."
    "I like ice, leave it the fuck alone."

Classic Shane Black goodness!

Elizabeth Perkins in an interview said De Niro was originally cast as Josh in Big however scheduling conflict got in the way and Hanks ended up in the role.

She say he did her auditions for the film with De Niro.
    “He was more moody. It was more of a — a little more of a horror movie. Robert De Niro wandering around the streets of New York,” Perkins said. “What Tom Hanks brought to it was so much lighter.”

https://deadline.com/2021/04/robert-de-niro-originally-cast-in-big-instead-tom-hanks-elizabeth-perkins-says-1234730888/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,854 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And then the line on the Minari poster saying "The movie we need right now".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Netflix have lined up Kong: Skull Island director, Jordan Vogt-Roberts, to direct a live action Gundam feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

My friend Paddy is releasing his 3rd feature film this Saturday night. His last film was supposed to release just as the pandemic hit last year so wrecked their plans. For this he wants to try something different and premiere it on his Twitch channel.

If anyone is free Saturday night at 10pm Irish Time and fancies watching an Irish found footage horror movie, then stop on by.

I believe he will be disabling chat and popups.

https://twitter.com/PaddyBass/status/1384101715348115466?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Meanwhile, at Disney World.

This could a fun doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,333 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery was released across American and Canadian screens on this day 24 years ago
    Apparently Jim Carrey was set to play Doctor Evil but had to pass due to a scheduling conflict

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery was released across American and Canadian screens on this day 24 years ago
    Apparently Jim Carrey was set to play Doctor Evil but had to pass due to a scheduling conflict

It got a bit of attention on "film Twitter" a few weeks back when Americans realised that they got a different cut from the UK without the scenes that cut to the various henchmen's friends and family getting the news of their deaths.

Hannah John-Kamen has signed on to play Marvel's Red Sonja in a stand alone movie.

It will have no connection to the MCU.

Netflix and Amazon today have said they will not work with the Hollywood Foreign Press Association till it significantly revamps its diversity and inclusion initiatives.

Hannah John-Kamen has signed on to play Marvel's Red Sonja in a stand alone movie.

It will have no connection to the MCU.

I'd have thought myself up to speed on comics and didn't even know it WAS possible to be in the MCU. Something tells me the costume here won't be, ah, comics accurate.

Fair play to Kamen though, her star has been rising since the days of Killjoys

NBC will not air the 2022 Golden Globes as the HFPA continues not to reform itself.

WarnerMedia has followed Netflix & Amazon and will not engage with the HFPA.

Tom Cruise is returning his 3 Golden Globes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

NBC will not air the 2022 Golden Globes as the HFPA continues not to reform itself.

Ricky Gervais was right then :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

this is the Irish member http://www.patriciadanaher.com/ its really incredible how few members there were, no reason for it. https://www.vulture.com/2015/01/who-exactly-picks-the-golden-globes-winners.html https://www.goldenglobes.com/articles/hfpa-elects-three-new-members-patricia-danaher-janet-r-nepales-and-magnus-sundholm

• Registered Users Posts: 85,333 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought everyone nominated and won was then a member :o fair play to Cruise for handing back his 3 GG awards, will Streep how many has she :p will others follow him?

AT&T and Discovery are in talking about merging there entertainment assists which would be Warner Media and Discovery Networks around the world.

Warner Media were also in talks with NBCUniversal about the same thing in the last few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So cinema's in the UK are reopening today. What does this mean for cinema's and films here? Do you think film release dates for Ireland and the UK will change. We could end up being a month behind them on some film releases.
    Personally I think Cinema's should have been allowed to reopen here today along with none essential retail. It was very disappointing to not here anything about cinema reopening untill a few days after the last statement from our leader.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement