Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

AT&T and Discovery are in talking about merging there entertainment assists which would be Warner Media and Discovery Networks around the world.

Warner Media were also in talks with NBCUniversal about the same thing in the last few months.

A $43B merger agreed.

Media reports today that MGM up for sale for $5B

Bond and Rocky I guess would be the main draws however it also has UA, Orion Pictures, The Cannon Group, The Samuel Goldwyn Company and a number of other film libraries.

So which Streaming company will buy it to bulk up there content.

Looks like it's Amazon by reports today and they after putting $10B on the table for MGM.

A real life Bond Villain will own the Bond Franchise.

There will only be 3/4 players with all these mergers going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Looks like it's Amazon by reports today and they after putting $10B on the table for MGM.

Bond is owned by EON productions afaik. MGM do own the rights to some of the older films but EON owns the rights to make new films.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Into the chimney Bezos...

8cvYSa.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Had a quick nosey on Wiki and it seems June 2023 will be when the next Star Trek film arrives. However, given things to date I'll wait until production starts before believing it'll happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Star_Trek_4

Kevin Spacey got himself an acting job in Italy he will star alongside Vanessa Redgrave in her husbands Franco Nero's new film.

So Amazon and MGM have reached a deal at $8.45B
    After months and weeks of speculation, Amazon and MGM are merging in a deal that has the e-commerce giant acquiring the storied studio for $8.45 billion.

It’s the first groundbreaking deal in a long anticipated marriage of the era’s big tech players and Hollywood, sparked by a digital revolution in content and the explosion of streaming.

The announcement this morning noted MGM’s nearly century-long history of filmmaking and said it complements the work of Amazon Studios, which has mostly focused on television production. “Amazon will help preserve MGM’s heritage and catalog of films, and provide customers with greater access to these existing works. Through this acquisition, Amazon would empower MGM to continue to do what they do best: great storytelling,” the Jeff Bezos-founded company said.

“MGM has a vast catalog with more than 4,000 films—12 Angry Men, Basic Instinct, Creed, James Bond, Legally Blonde, Moonstruck, Poltergeist, Raging Bull, Robocop, Rocky, Silence of the Lambs, Stargate, Thelma & Louise, Tomb Raider, The Magnificent Seven, The Pink Panther, The Thomas Crown Affair, and many other icons—as well as 17,000 TV shows—including Fargo, The Handmaid’s Tale, and Vikings—that have collectively won more than 180 Academy Awards and 100 Emmys,” said Mike Hopkins, senior VP of Prime Video and Amazon Studios. “The real financial value behind this deal is the treasure trove of IP in the deep catalog that we plan to reimagine and develop together with MGM’s talented team.”

“It has been an honor to have been a part of the incredible transformation of Metro Goldwyn Mayer. To get here took immensely talented people with a true belief in one vision. On behalf of the Board, I would like to thank the MGM team who have helped us arrive at this historic day,” said Kevin Ulrich, Chairman of the Board of Directors of MGM. “I am very proud that MGM’s Lion, which has long evoked the Golden Age of Hollywood, will continue its storied history, and the idea born from the creation of United Artists lives on in a way the founders originally intended, driven by the talent and their vision. The opportunity to align MGM’s storied history with Amazon is an inspiring combination.”

Th deal is subject to regulatory approvals.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/amazon-to-buy-mgm-for-8-45-billion-merger-1234764306/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Take a look at that list of IPs, now let's play a game of reverse-deadpool and guess which one will be rebooted / adapted to TV first.

Wonder what that means for No Time to Die, whether we might see it appear online sooner than later.

I can see Stargate making a comeback,

Amazon will make Tomb Raider.

It's going to be a huge boost to Prime's Library adding that back catalogue of not just MGM but the studios it also owns like Cannon & Dimension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

pixelburp wrote: »
    Take a look at that list of IPs, now let's play a game of reverse-deadpool and guess which one will be rebooted / adapted to TV first.

Wonder what that means for No Time to Die, whether we might see it appear online sooner than later.

Don't Sony have distribution rights? Or is it Universal now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I can see Stargate making a comeback,

Amazon will make Tomb Raider.

It's going to be a huge boost to Prime's Library adding that back catalogue of not just MGM but the studios it also owns like Cannon & Dimension.

Good call on Stargate; definitely feels like a property ripe for another try on TV.

My own would be yet another stab at Robocop; of the giants of 80s action, it's one of the few not currently rumoured or actively adapted for a reboot/sequel. Though given Amazon are themselves now a real-world OCP, not sure how likely it'd be any new film would take a bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

pixelburp wrote: »

I hope "No Time To Die" is out in Cinemas either next month or the month after.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AT&T and Discovery are in talking about merging there entertainment assists which would be Warner Media and Discovery Networks around the world.

$43b gives you.

Discovery.jpg?w=400&h=225&crop=1
    Discovery today announced the new name of the proposed standalone global entertainment company that will emerge from the combination of WarnerMedia and Discovery assets: “Warner Bros. Discovery.”

“The Warner Bros. Discovery name will honor, celebrate and elevate the world’s most-storied creative studio in the world with the high quality, global nonfiction storytelling heritage of Discovery,” the company said.

David Zaslav, CEO of Discovery and future chief executive of the proposed Warner Bros. Discovery combined company, unveiled the new name to WarnerMedia employees from the Warner Bros. studio lot in Burbank.

https://deadline.com/2021/06/discovery-merged-company-to-be-called-warner-bros-discovery-1234767195/

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Wrap

A new version of Stephen King’s “Christine” is coming to the screen and in development with Bryan Fuller set to direct the film at Sony Pictures and for Blumhouse Productions.

“Christine” was first adapted into a cult horror film by horror master John Carpenter in 1983 about a teen who buys a classic 1958 Plymouth Fury and fixes it up, only to discover that it seems to have a mind of its own , a jealous, possessive personality toward its new owner and a vindictive, murderous past.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

next up in films nobody asked for

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1402030363795406850

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I remember Bryan Fuller attempted a reboot with a pilot called Mockingbird Lane. Was directed by Bryan Singer.
    Jerry O'Connell as Herman Munster and Eddie Izzard as Grampa.
    I never watched it so don't know what it was like, though I do think it was released.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

What's the tone of the Zombie movie even going to be?

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    What's the tone of the Zombie movie even going to be?

I gather he tends not to be family friendly

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

The Munsters as a slasher movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

silverharp wrote: »
    I gather he tends not to be family friendly

I've only seen a couple of his flicks but yeah, they wouldn't be something you'd watch with the kiddos.

Turns out it was a misunderstanding and it's actually the Munster rugby team in Zombie's next Firefly film.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Cynthia Erivo is set to star in a remake of The Rose

Bette Midler starred in the original

Part of me thinks there should be a dedicated Nicolas Cage B movie thread

I give you his new movie...

Pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Part of me thinks there should be a dedicated Nicolas Cage B movie thread

I give you his new movie...

Pig.
    Go for it. Let's kick it off with a poll about the craziest one.

I'll say one thing for Cage: unlike other A-Listers who take paycheques for rote, sleepwalked work, he always either gives a high-energy performance with the boilerplate scripts, or pick some genuinely interesting left-field projects; this "Pig" appears to be the latter, alongside others like The Colour of Space etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Is Cage an A-Lister still? I thought that ship sailed a long time ago.

Have to say I really enjoyed 'Color Out of Space' though. It's got little to do with the Lovecraft story, but it was entertaining in its own right. 'Mandy' was alright too, if you take it as some sort of fever dream the main character had when he was dying.

• Advertisement

im hoping this is a skit but might be real

https://twitter.com/andysignore/status/1407187661492740096

Advertisement