Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The way forward for LC2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    The SEC have told me that students can do the oral who have opted for the predicted grade. So anyone can do the oral essentially. They're just added to the end of the examinations aide roll.

Assuming you have an interviewer available? Not every school would have an interviewer available for longer than they initially signed up for.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I'm rarely proud OF the Asti but was proud they told the government to **** off in January
    Having agreed to assess our own pupils hand over fist last year I really hope we ain't setting a precedent

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I'm rarely proud OF the Asti but was proud they told the government to **** off in January
    Having agreed to assess our own pupils hand over fist last year I really hope we ain't setting a precedent

Last year asti members agreed to provide an provisional grade that was not certified by the SEC.

This year asti members re working over easter, working saturdays for lcvp/comp sci exams and assessing their students for an SEC accredited grade. do the math :D

Last year asti members agreed to provide an provisional grade that was not certified by the SEC.

This year asti members re working over easter, working saturdays for lcvp/comp sci exams and assessing their students for an SEC accredited grade. do the math :D

I am still proud of the Asti regarding the events in January'. Given the bleeding heart narrative over kids it was hard to avoid assessing our own pupils. I'm just hoping we are not out maneuvered long term on this issue. We are a long way from the UK bull**** in schools. To pretend we ain't is to be delusional.
    A global pandemic is a global pandemic. Its up to union members to say no to allowing the department to use this crisis to effect long term change. But you could imagine the outcry from nurses if teachers refused any of the above days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

For anyone who’s doing the oral aide job, has there been payment forms released yet? Haven’t seen them anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DubLad69

For anyone who’s doing the oral aide job, has there been payment forms released yet? Haven’t seen them anywhere.

Your school should pay you directly and claim it back from the SEC.

I have approx. 120 students on my roll for the orals but only about 75ish are actually doing it and timetabled to do it. Why is there this many on my roll and what do I write beside the name of those who aren’t doing it? Did not attend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Enright

"Withdrawn" for those that pull out "Did not attend" for those that do not turn up

Enright wrote: »
    "Withdrawn" for those that pull out "Did not attend" for those that do not turn up

Thanks. I’ve had no withdrawals and all students on my roll were made aware of the orals and given an option to be timetabled. I assume “Did not attend” is my option here then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Enright

The only students on the official roll we be ones that engaged with the online system and opted in AND students enrolled in your school on P-Pod and who did not engage to withdraw themselves, note on the roll instructed the school to make contact with these students to determine if they are going ahead with it or not. Principal/deputy principal to sign off on the quality of each recording.

NB: Students not on the roll are entitled to turn up on the day and you are obliged to add them to the roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mmmml80

Hi all, has anyone heard anything about marking the orals? I’ve applied but heard nothing yet. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Actually has anyone heard back about any of the exam correcting. I got my usual letter to confirm and returned by email but haven't heard anything since.

Mmmml80 wrote: »
    Hi all, has anyone heard anything about marking the orals? I’ve applied but heard nothing yet. Thanks!

Same. I don’t expect to hear until the date for sitting them has passed. They have no idea how many they have until they are all done.

Same for summer marking, they don’t really know how many they will have until the final date for change of mind passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »

I wonder will that have any effect on the Friday evening info drop?

I know my principal is often caught between wanting to inform us and not wanting to encroach on our personal time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I wonder will that have any effect on the Friday evening info drop?

I know my principal is often caught between wanting to inform us and not wanting to encroach on our personal time.

It’s one thing a principal sending out emails after hours if they don’t expect a response to them until the following day/ Monday. It’s another if they are sending out emails and expecting a response.

Just chatting with friends from work on WhatsApp and one of them mentioned doing some particular inservice in May. Seemingly an email was sent out by principal in the last few days asking if people wanted to do it and clearly there are way too many staff in my school logging in to check their email and responding. He uses that to his advantage.

And then they wonder why we have poor working conditions. I’m on holidays. I’m not checking my emails.

Not looking forward to last term.
    I have some records on my 6th years. But I don't think I'm fit to judge them overall. NO mock.
    Then into the mix comes the fact that our grades last year were marked down even though they were well within the past performance of our school.
    Thus do I simply inflate my grades which I'm not entirely sure of-given I have never corrected for the SEC? Then take a swig of whiskey and hope for the best?
    The department guidelines are useless as you'd expect. The whole thing is farcical.

Not looking forward to last term.
    I have some records on my 6th years. But I don't think I'm fit to judge them overall. NO mock.
    Then into the mix comes the fact that our grades last year were marked down even though they were well within the past performance of our school.
    Thus do I simply inflate my grades which I'm not entirely sure of-given I have never corrected for the SEC? Then take a swig of whiskey and hope for the best?
    The department guidelines are useless as you'd expect. The whole thing is farcical.

Have a look at your schools past performance, the performance of your students at junior cycle and the national average for your subject. All of the teachers in your department should be sitting down and working out grades within what is normal for those.

Have a look at your schools past performance, the performance of your students at junior cycle and the national average for your subject. All of the teachers in your department should be sitting down and working out grades within what is normal for those.

I don't think you read my post fully. We kept within past performances. Perhaps we didn't look at the JC result but I'm not sure that had to be done last year?
    Boys in particular don't take the JC that seriously.
    Plus is it fair to not assume kids can improve after 2 years??
    No rhyme or reason to their system

• Advertisement

We kept within past performances and were still screwed.
    Thus this year I'm inflating. The department will screw it up whatever you do
    We are a Deis school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭History Queen

It's such a crap situation with predicted grades, with the best will in the world it is still a guess, albeit an educated one to as much a degree as you can.

I don't think you read my post fully. We kept within past performances. Perhaps we didn't look at the JC result but I'm not sure that had to be done last year?
    Boys in particular don't take the JC that seriously.
    Plus is it fair to not assume kids can improve after 2 years??
    No rhyme or reason to their system

I read your post. Junior cert results for each cohort were used last year. Might not be fair for students who didn’t know it would go towards their leaving cert, but same can be said for 5th year Christmas exams, which are the last exams I have that i fully trust as a marker of ability and possible outcomes for leaving cert. past performance and national average together is what i suggested, not just looking at one over another.

Again, if you have other teachers in your department, your method is going to affect their students too, unless the department agrees to use the method as a whole and let the algorithm do the work.

Nothing about any of this is fair.

It's the prisoners dilemma. Unless we both inflate..
    What was the algorithm last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Newbie20

I wouldn’t be worrying too much about it this year as long as the exams go ahead. Students can do the exam if they want. If they don’t then that’s their own choice and they have to take what they get.

If they do the exam then they get the best of the predicted grade or exam anyway. So the way I see it, this year a student can have no complaints really whatever happens.

Actually has anyone heard back about any of the exam correcting. I got my usual letter to confirm and returned by email but haven't heard anything since.

When did you get the letter? My subject has a new course and we all got an email telling us that we would have to reapply to mark this year (i.e. no automatic appointments from last year).

When did you get the letter? My subject has a new course and we all got an email telling us that we would have to reapply to mark this year (i.e. no automatic appointments from last year).

End of February or very early March. Big subject, it'll be in the top 3/4 subjects being taken if not the most popular I'd say. Normal paperwork, just confirm you will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Are most of your students sitting the LC? Mine are, or at least they said they will be. I'd be surprised if they didn't as they know last year's class had a number of students marked down by the SEC from the grade I gave.

That said, in other subjects (all HL, too), most students didn't show for the Mocks, or 'practice tests'. A majority seem to have opted for a grade rather than sitting the exam in English especially as LC results are poor and they could spend the time on another subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Aquals

Only one student in my class of 24 is not sitting the written LC exam. When they saw how much choice they were getting on this year’s paper, they all felt fairly well vindicated in their decision too!

It's dependent on subjects entirely. Huge numbers for biology, maths, geog, etc but very low in languages!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

It's dependent on subjects entirely. Huge numbers for biology, maths, geog, etc but very low in languages!

I don't think students are being informed about the nature of the bell curve. There is a belief that everyone can get "better" grades now the exams are "easier".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    I don't think students are being informed about the nature of the bell curve. There is a belief that everyone can get "better" grades now the exams are "easier".

Students are Clever enough, if 100 people get 100% in all questions and there is zero room for marking down then applying bell curve is useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Aquals

Mardy Bum wrote: »

I think that the way my students are seeing it is that they can now get “the same grade” for much less work.

So if they would have gotten a H3 in the traditional leaving cert, they believe that it’s worth lashing in a bit of work to get that grade this year as an insurance policy against the accredited grade.

They are not wrong, without knowing the interplay of standardisation between accredited and the exam it's a sensible approach

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

shesty wrote: »

All the students in our place (and I'm sure everywhere else) were told to make sure to tick the box to say they are sitting the exam, even if they had no intention of doing so. I'd say this article is completely meaningless.

Definitely, ours told the same. The irish etc is down to students not seeing much margin for improvement and the oral being quite soon after!

I’d agree. When the portal opens again this make the or in May those numbers will change. Interesting to see the high numbers in science subjects. Unsurprising though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭derb12

I can't see that IT article behind the paywall, but I read earlier that some very small % had opted for exam only?
    https://www.thejournal.ie/leaving-cert-2021-accredited-grades-choice-irish-5407270-Apr2021/
    Eg in Irish: "946 students, or 2%, will take the Irish exam and have turned down the option of an accredited grade."
    How will that work? I had understood that we would be working out accredited grades for every student.

• Advertisement

derb12 wrote: »
    I can't see that IT article behind the paywall, but I read earlier that some very small % had opted for exam only?
    https://www.thejournal.ie/leaving-cert-2021-accredited-grades-choice-irish-5407270-Apr2021/
    Eg in Irish: "946 students, or 2%, will take the Irish exam and have turned down the option of an accredited grade."
    How will that work? I had understood that we would be working out accredited grades for every student.

They could be students without a teacher. Maybe students who are repeated higher level Irish for primary teaching. If they are in our classes we are required to provide them with an accredited grade even if they don’t apply for it, in case of illness or isolation when the exam is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭derb12

They could be students without a teacher. Maybe students who are repeated higher level Irish for primary teaching. If they are in our classes we are required to provide them with an accredited grade even if they don’t apply for it, in case of illness or isolation when the exam is on.

Yeh, that’s what I thought. But 2% would be 1200 or so students? That seems high.

Theres alwayways a few repeating just to get a particular grade in a subject, like someone with the points for primary but doesn't have the H4/5 in irish mentioned above or whatever that's a requirement. Science and maths requirents for some courses too, even if your returning as a mature student. Not sure how many a year, but these, repeats working from home, kids who haven't attended school regularly and for whom accredited grades would not be possible (they know themselves there's nothing to work off) and then older people returning to education to just get the LC because life stopped it first time. It does seem high but I know people who've done the irish exam alone twice so maybe it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

derb12 wrote: »
    Yeh, that’s what I thought. But 2% would be 1200 or so students? That seems high.

Students exempt from Irish might have ticked the no box for accredited grade.

I think I may have asked this already but is there a form out to be paid for the LC oral aide job or are the school reimbursing us? I see there is one for the interviewers on the SEC website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Any idea when we will have confirmation for the exam layout for LC subjects in 2022?

Many teachers give regular exams in 5th year and if the exam structure is going to change next year teachers should be told about it so they can better prepare their students. For instance, in history the normal 4 questions in 170 minutes was replaced this year with 3 questions in the same time. This essentially meant that the H1 students in 2021 who want to stand out have to prepare 6-7 page essays instead of 4-5 page essays as nobody knows how the SEC is going to separate the wheat from the chaff when awarding H1s. The changes have meant more work, not less, for all those students who had prepared well by the existing criteria.

Likewise, if the SEC is going to change the 2022 exam to take into account of this year's Lockdown, we should be told asap so that we can allow our students to change their exam technique by, for instance, preparing much longer LC essays and taking longer to write them.

• Advertisement

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Any idea when we will have confirmation for the exam layout for LC subjects in 2022?

Many teachers give regular exams in 5th year and if the exam structure is going to change next year teachers should be told about it so they can better prepare their students. For instance, in history the normal 4 questions in 170 minutes was replaced this year with 3 questions in the same time. This essentially meant that the H1 students in 2021 who want to stand out have to prepare 6-7 page essays instead of 4-5 page essays as nobody knows how the SEC is going to separate the wheat from the chaff when awarding H1s. The changes have meant more work, not less, for all those students who had prepared well by the existing criteria.

Likewise, if the SEC is going to change the 2022 exam to take into account of this year's Lockdown, we should be told asap so that we can allow our students to change their exam technique by, for instance, preparing much longer LC essays and taking longer to write them.

Personally I can’t see this information coming out until at least September when the SEC see how the changes to 2021 pan out. ie were this years changes too extreme and do they need to tighten up the paper or did it work out ok in the end curve wise?

I’m working on the basis that the changes made in august for the 2021 class will be made again for the class of 22. I don’t think they will get the same allowances as the March announcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I’m working on the basis that the changes made in august for the 2021 class will be made again for the class of 22. I don’t think they will get the same allowances as the March announcement.

Wud assume the same. The LC class of 2022 wud need further school closure next year for more adjustments to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭ascophyllum

I think I may have asked this already but is there a form out to be paid for the LC oral aide job or are the school reimbursing us? I see there is one for the interviewers on the SEC website.

Hi any link to that oral interviewer form? I've been looking for it for a while on the SEC website to no avail!

Hi any link to that oral interviewer form? I've been looking for it for a while on the SEC website to no avail!

It’s appendix 4 here https://www.examinations.ie/misc-doc/BI-SC-97154900.pdf I didn’t need to hand anything else in to my school.

• Advertisement
Advertisement