Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far is your commute and what type of bike?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Crippens1

10km round trip.
    I set up a single speed (46x16) on a steel frame to use up bits and pieces from the shed. Single speed needs hardly any servicing and I find Dublin is very suitable for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

5k each way, old CX bike with old 9x3 tiagra groupset and 32 wide delta cruiser tyres, full mudguards and rear rack.
    Does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

6k each way on road bike. I usually try to go as hard as I can and make it sub 12 minutes. I tend to drive with any sign of damp though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

P_1 wrote: »
    4k on a singlespeed

This will be mine shortly. Once the singlespeed parts arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

15km each way. At the moment I do 3-6km on a Brompton with the rest by bus.

When healed I will be back on the SS franken-commuter with dynamo and pannier rack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ofthelord

36km into work - Wicklow to Cabinteely.
    I cycle once or twice a week during the summer months to get to work and rarely during the winter. Might look to get some proper gear for cycling over the winter months this year as I definitely prefer cycling to work over driving!
    When I do cycle, I then take the scenic way home through Enniskerry and Roundwood to make it 50/60km to get home depending on the route.
    I'm lucky that I have shower facilities in work, and storage area for leaving a change of clothes etc.
    I'm currently cycling a Giant Defy2 - with all the basic kit it came with from the shop, no extras or changes..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

P_1 wrote: »
    4k on a singlespeed

This was me for years. I'd say I had over 20K km city/urban cycling on my single speed. There's no better bike for urban stuff, even if the commute is a bit on the longer side. What changed it for me was having a route that took me down the coast from Portmarnock, the strong winds just made the singlespeed difficult to use. But if I ever moved closer I'd be back on my trusty single again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,223 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Not a cyclist, but often thought about a bike to work, are most of you doing these journeys live in towns to work, i would have some narrow dark country lanes most of the journey would this be suicide during the winter, would be about 13k each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

23km each way. Santry to cherrywood.

I drive on Wednesday as it's my rest day

Job is moving to city centre in a few weeks. Then it be 8-9 km each way.

Have road bike. Lights front and back. Have camera on the handlebars.

Take relatively small back pack for lunch, shirt, socks and jocks. On Monday, I also being a pair of trousers and leave them in work for the week. Have good shower facilities...have towel and toiletres there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Not a cyclist, but often thought about a bike to work, are most of you doing these journeys live in towns to work, i would have some narrow dark country lanes most of the journey would this be suicide during the winter, would be about 13k each way.

Sounds a bit dramatic tbf. Part (5km) of my 25km commute is along an unlit country road and funny enough, it always feels safer to me in the darkness once I have a good set of lights. Drivers, not seeing me clearly, seem to actually slow down and wait behind me before waiting to overtake, whereas in daylight, and seeing me and the road in full they just try to charge through whether its safe or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

saccades wrote: »
    62km each way on a "gravel" bike (relaxed, old man geometry road bike with massive clearances).

28c at 85psi, two bottles and a saddle bag. Use exposure red light and racemaxx so people can see me early doors/late evening.

Holy moly some savage commutes in here but have to question above as presuming a typo since otherwise you'd be clocking up 620km per week. How long does it take you is correct and you must be wrecked by the end of the week.

Mine is 14km each way on a road bike, used to use an old mountain bike and switching to the road bike saved 5-10 mins each way and a lot of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

60 Kms each way, Boardman CX with disk brakes and 32 mm Marathons. Brooks Cambium seat and lights. Laptop on backpack.

Its a white lie of course, I only do this like once a week, a handfull of times a year. I do one-way commute more often, either get the bus in or the bus back with bike in the undercarriage. Rest of the days I ride an 800cc twin cylinder motorbike with adjustable suspension, abs and heated grips. Feels way more fun after spending 4 hours on the Boadman the previous day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I had assumed some of the 50km+ each way journeys were a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

that's a decent climb - that part of the world is that?

i only go into the office twice a week; 20km each way on a genesis equilibrium. 25c tyres - it can take 28s, but not with the mudguards i have on it.

Cork southside on the hill (think Cork airport) into the city and into the northside to Hollyhill.

I’m 90 kg, the commuter bikes weigh a ton plus 10kg of gear almost.

When I take full carbon out on the weekend I feel like a champ

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Duckjob wrote: »
    Sounds a bit dramatic tbf. Part (5km) of my 25km commute is along an unlit country road and funny enough, it always feels safer to me in the darkness once I have a good set of lights. Drivers, not seeing me clearly, seem to actually slow down and wait behind me before waiting to overtake, whereas in daylight, and seeing me and the road in full they just try to charge through whether its safe or not.

I feel safer in pitch dark also. Lights stand out more. In built up street lit areas you are more likely to blend in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

30km round trip every week day - hail, rain or shine! Steel Specialized Langster single-speed. Backpack with iPad, socks and jocks + lunch. Drop trousers, shirts and a towel into the office on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

40k round trip on a Genesis Flyer singlespeed/fixie with Tannus solid tyres (bike previously owned by RAAM of this parish).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

12.7km each way on a Klein mtb rocking nobbly tyres with some 50/60% of the commute being on river paths (and the like) or off-road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I do one commute day a week over the summer months. It's 72km EW I couldn't imagine doing it regularly with a tough 8 hours between trips. :eek: Sometimes drive to the gym and have a swim first then commute in so reduces it to 2km swim 21km EW plus a half hour drive :D Sometimes I'll just hit the pool and steam room in the evenings a nice way to finish a commute :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Much of my commute is on busy unlit roads. As a previous poster has said, travelling in the dark on unlit roads feels a lot safer than on a bright summer's day. I can't ever recall having a close pass in the dark on an unlit road - motorists tend to slow down and proceed with caution as their visibility is limited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

16Km round trip on a hybrid with 38c tyres, panniers and child seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

Inchicore to Clonee -roughly 30k round trip, I think, on a trek road bike.
    Knockmaroon hill is a killer at half six in the morning :o:

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

11km each way on a Trek Hybrid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

11.5km each way on a hybrid with child seat when need to do drop off. If not doing drop off use the road bike without seat attached to keep both bikes ticking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I do one commute day a week over the summer months. It's 72km EW I couldn't imagine doing it regularly with a tough 8 hours between trips. :eek: Sometimes drive to the gym and have a swim first then commute in so reduces it to 2km swim 21km EW plus a half hour drive :D Sometimes I'll just hit the pool and steam room in the evenings a nice way to finish a commute :cool:

Do you squeeze a run in too?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blahfool

2k to and from the train station on an woeful road bike I got for €40 from someone who wanted it out of their life - super light but it flexes going around bends and all-sorts, think it was made for a teenager! Then 5-6k across Dublin on an 80s Peugeot roadie, which apart from its weird frame geometry I absolutely love, rust and all. That one was only €50, budget commuting here!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

18km each way.
    Giant propel with 105
    60mm carbon wheels.
    Cant fit mudguards so use an ass saver :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Do you squeeze a run in too?

A run to and from the shower in work. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

About 5k each way, along the banks of the Shannon for the most part.

Bike is an Apollo...something...that I bought in Halfords 4 years ago for about 200 quid. Has served me well, but is coming to the end of its life as various bits start to wear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Seems like a lot of people use road bikes for their commute. My hybrid is good for commuting and navigating dithering pedestrians in the city. I don't know how I'd feel though if I was having to cycle long distances on it. It's a good bike but heavy (16-19kg). My road bike is much lighter (9kg) but I only use it for longer spins and training type sessions.

Advertisement