Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far is your commute and what type of bike?

Options
  • 31-08-2018 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

My commute is currently quite short, I'd say about 5k per day and I use a hybrid. It's a good sturdy bike for commuting with 35c tyres, mudguards, lights etc.

I'm looking at buying a place in the not too distant future which will inevitably mean a longer commute.

Just wondering what people here cycle to work (road, hybrid, mountain, something else) and how far?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

15km each way and I have a road bike with disc brakes (Giant Contend SL 2 Disc). Mudguards, lights and cameras all on the go. I run 25 wide tires and I find that setup fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

17km each way on a Trek 1.2 from Maynooth to Mulhuddart. Over the years I have changed the groupset to 10 speed 105 and the wheels to Aksiums. Getting mudguards on next week for the autumn/winter.
    I tend to leave all my stuff in work so I don't have to carry anything on the commute. I'll occasionally commute in on my good bike and do a long cycle on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭ted1

30km each way. , road bike , use dynamo wheel in winter, race blades mudguards.
    Use 25mm tyres.

Just bring in shirt, jocks, socks and lunch box each day in a back pack

• Registered Users Posts: 14,076 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

2.7k each way., Road bike with 105 groupset :D
    I dont have the space or money for a second bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

17km each way. Roadbike, 25 front, 28 rear tyres. Panniers too, and a child seat behind the handlebars for crèche runs.

Planning to upgrade to a disc cross/gravel soon as roads get icy enough here in winter so would like to also run bigger tyres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

25km per day since july , a 10 year old Trek, road/city bike but not too heavy, cost around ~450 euros new back then, recently got a back carrier on it so it could take a pannier bag and changed the saddle for comfort . could get a new bike but current one is working fine and dont have to be overly protective of it getting nicked, though i have 3 U locks for the bike, i leave 2 of them on the stand at work.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

2018 Trek 1.2 Road bike with sora group set. 12.5 km daily total.25mm tyres. Sometimes go for a 20k lunch spin with a group from work so it’s good for that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Just over 14k each way. Specialized allez with entry level dora group set. 25mm tyres. Keeps me going

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

11km each way on a 2006 Spesh Allez Elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

45km each way. Electric hybrid bike mostly these days, but I use the Trek 5.2 or the Ridley Icarus road bike sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

25k roundtrip. Roadbike with childseat, 25 tyres, 8 speed
    Love the frame but some parts need upgrade after 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭De Bhál

2k walk ew, sometimes I cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

19km each way. 2010 Cube Aerial with some upgrades - Ultegra / 105 when it's dry, 2011 Boardman Road Comp when it's wet - Tiagra (both road bikes).
    I've only mudguards on the Boardman as the cruds finally disintegrated off the Cube and I didn't want to replace them.
    Two sets of lights front and back as well as a camera on the back. No panniers, just an Ortlieb rucksack.
    I wear lycra and change in work

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

5km each way on a Cannondale Bad Boy hybrid-type thing. It's a great way of waking up in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,551 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

10km each way, plus 1-2 km depending on which route I take. Scott city bike with rack, panniers, mudguards and lycra.

Couldn't do it any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

30km round trip on a S Works Peter Sagan camo venge... only kidding a trek 2.1 road bike.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

- 20K each way: Drimnagh <-> Mulhuddart
    - Through Phoenix Park.
    - Carrera Gryphon Disk (hybrid).
    - 700c Aksium wheels.
    - 50-teeth front ring.
    - 28mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus or Durano.
    - Usually drive though: Peugeot 607 petrol.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Only 8 km each way. Use mostly an old Trek 1000 sl with 105, panniers and dynamo.

During the summer I'll use my carbon bike sometimes and add anything from 20-50 Kms onto my commute home.

Looking at moving soon too so will be looking at 15km each way. I'm happy about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

12-13km each way (I go home a different route) and I only just a few weeks ago picked up a Cube Hyde Race. Love it!

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=119119

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

20Km each way
    Cube 2017 pro mountain bike.
    https://www.cube.eu/en/2017/hardtail/ltd/cube-ltd-pro-2x-blackline-2017/
    Only do 4 days a week as usually very tired by Wednesday so drive that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

15km E/W with 180m climb on each end
    Alu Cannondale synapse disc
    28mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires
    Orlieb backpack with change of clothes and portable computer
    Cycling lycras. Good seasonal options
    MTB pedals and shoes
    Ride Giant defy on duranos as a backup
    2 sets of lights

Sidi rain MTB boots coming. Very excited to not having to put on overshoes

3 years + every day

Best thing I’ve ever done, saved €10,000 and spent it all on bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

11km each way on a CX bike with 32c tires.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bingobars wrote: »
    15km E/W with 180m climb on each end
    that's a decent climb - that part of the world is that?

i only go into the office twice a week; 20km each way on a genesis equilibrium. 25c tyres - it can take 28s, but not with the mudguards i have on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

62km each way on a "gravel" bike (relaxed, old man geometry road bike with massive clearances).

28c at 85psi, two bottles and a saddle bag. Use exposure red light and racemaxx so people can see me early doors/late evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭RonanCFD

21km each way, Merida CX bike with 32mm Conti 4-Seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 24,478 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

6.9km at the shortest. Tends to be about 10. Downhill in the morning so nice and easy, not all sweaty for work. 160- 400m up on the way home depending on route too. Mostly been using the road bike as doing extra recently and being the middle of winter it makes sense to gear up. Use the cycloX from time to time too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

10 km each way. West side of galway to east side. Hybrid bike. Shower at work so sweating or weather not a worry.

Takes just under a half hour each way. Add ten minutes on for shower, getting changed. Next door neighbor does nearly exact same commute. Her times vary from 30 minutes to an hour and a a half. Generally an hour to get home on the evening. Won't cycle as she doesn't like it. Each to their own I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

4k on a singlespeed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I had two round trips until June: four legs of 7.5 km on a cargo bike; kids to primary school, back home to work, and then back to get kids and bring home. Didn't leave me that much time to work, but it was pretty nice.

I'm in full-time work now, so it's 7.5km to school to drop off, then about 3.5km to work, then about 8.5km home. Still using a cargo bike, though I only need it for the first leg. Guess I can bring beer barrels home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

5 miles / 8 km from south Dublin to Smithfield on a Trek Marlin I've had for good while. My route in is via Stannaway, Sundrive, Clogher and South Circular Road with a return down Queen and Ship Streets and then the Coombe and Crumlin. Shower at work.

Advertisement