Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monaghan footballers reported to have trained together - RTÉ report.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭rrs

"i said that's what was reported on off the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

dobman88 wrote: »
    When a county trains at the facilities, the club wouldn't have much of a say. County board decision. Of course it makes no sense to punish a club for a decision they're not making.

A county team needs permission to use a clubs facilities....trust me I've had this problem in thr past with a county team where we literally couldn't get a club pitch to train on the week of a championship game.

Somone in authority in the club gave this the go ahead. They knew what they were facilitating. They need to be sanctioned to make it clear that this was unacceptable. If a playet got seriously injures and took a claim against the club there was no insurance. If i was a trustee of the club i would not be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

rrs wrote: »
    "i said that's what was reported on off the ball.
    If you can't get you're head around that, then that's your problem.

Not sure why you're getting ratty. This is what you originally said. Not a mention of Off The Ball until you were questioned on it.
    Both Dublin and Monaghan will likely lose any home fixtures in the League. The club's where the training took place will likely Face fines or something stronger.
    It was Bantys own club Corduff so all seems appropriate for him inside the 5k.

Well unless you only read here for information,I thought some might have been aware. I've seen journalists like John Fogarty mention it on Twitter also.

You seemed pretty sure the club's had no fault regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Well unless you only read here for information,I thought some might have been aware. I've seen journalists like John Fogarty mention it on Twitter also.

You seemed pretty sure the club's had no fault regardless

I dont follow Off The Ball so wouldn't have seen it. Also I dont like assuming things that people dont say so was just taking your post for what it said. If you meant something else from another source its probably best to mention that.

The clubs do have no fault imo. That wont change.

As I said. No point going round in circles so I'll leave it there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CaboRoig

It's f***ing stupid of Monaghan (and Dublin and whoever else is at this).
    And there's no way every other county is at it. Most are sticking to the regulations in the hope of getting back together later this month.
    As for the GAA being treated lightly. Not at all. There are plenty of other amateur sports clubs and groups breaking regulations too and not getting any punishment for it.

That's fair enough. Not sure why you think the club are faultless but you're opinion.
    If Conor McManus done his ACL on the pitch it would have dug a deeper hole

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

Is the use of pitches/grounds against the restrictions? I live near a large GAA club and a large junior soccer club. I frequently pass both clubs and often there are lads (7 to 8) on the GAA pitch with a bag of balls, cones etc doing training while I have never seen anyone on the soccer club's pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭celt262

That's fair enough. Not sure why you think the club are faultless but you're opinion.
    If Conor McManus done his ACL on the pitch it would have dug a deeper hole

Plenty of big holes in pitches in Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭celt262

signostic wrote: »
    Is the use of pitches/grounds against the restrictions? I live near a large GAA club and a large junior soccer club. I frequently pass both clubs and often there are lads (7 to 8) on the GAA pitch with a bag of balls, cones etc doing training while I have never seen anyone on the soccer club's pitch.

Yes there shouldn't be anyone on them even for a kick around.

• Advertisement

All the jackeens who piled on in the first few pages claiming Dublin are victimised must feel like fools now

It's being reported that 40 players and coaches were present.

That should mean 40 suspensions. They're all adults. They all know the rules. It is incredible that 40 people were so brazen and stupid to think their need to kick a ball trumped the law. That people defend both breaking the law and cheating and claim the problem with this country is whistleblowing is remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

It's being reported that 40 players and coaches were present.

That should mean 40 suspensions. They're all adults. They all know the rules. It is incredible that 40 people were so brazen and stupid to think their need to kick a ball trumped the law. That people defend both breaking the law and cheating and claim the problem with this country is whistleblowing is remarkable.

It really is astounding the level of arrogance displayed by Monaghan. This elite athlete stuff is horsemanure when it comes to covid and intercounty GAA. The players are not earning a living from it.
    While I do feel that teams should have been let return already it is not acceptable for them to behave in this manner. These are the flagship teams in the association and have let everyone down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

It really is astounding the level of arrogance displayed by Monaghan. This elite athlete stuff is horsemanure when it comes to covid and intercounty GAA. The players are not earning a living from it.
    While I do feel that teams should have been let return already it is not acceptable for them to behave in this manner. These are the flagship teams in the association and have let everyone down.

When a Monaghan football team are considered elite you know somebody is taking the pi$$

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Rosita wrote: »
    Sorry, just wondering what your argument on this is?

Sorry only getting to this now.

I suppose the argument is two fold.

First - clearly its an outdoor sports, and outdoor sports faced far fewer restrictions than indoor sports.

Am looking at my own kids; daughters do gymnastics: gymnastics opened up for about 4 weeks before christmas and then had to close again. Yes its an indoor sport, in a big sports hall with doors open.

The safety measures put in place by the gymnastics club were far & away more stringent and comprehensive than what the local GAA club put in place. For example coaches all wore masks, kids had temperature taken before session, kids sanitised hands before session, separate entrances and exits, equipment sanitised before and after - None of this happened at the GAA sessions.

And yet the gaa was open for 5 months when the gymnastics was closed; and will open up again this month while the gymnastics remains closed.

(On a side note: I have a very strong view that sports that are majority girl participation have sufferred disproportionately through lockdown as they are frequently indoor - Irish Dancing, Ballet, Gymnastics, Swimming - this hasnt really been discussed anywhere that I've seen).

Second: yes, its open because its an outdoor sport. My take is that we have seen breach after breach after breach at the top level of GAA in InterCounty and Senior club, both with players and with supporters. And yet there has been really no response to this.

Its common knowledge for example that a major factor in the exploding case numbers in Ratoath and in Belmullet was GAA games.

But where is the punishment?

We are not seeing this with Rugby, or with Hockey, or with Soccer.....

Advertisement