Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Monaghan footballers reported to have trained together - RTÉ report.

«134

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck


    I think that, like the Dubs, they should be left alone because there is **** all harm in a group of lads training together outside, and that this country badly needs to stop entertaining the cowardly curtain twitchers that are dragging us all down.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭joebloggs32


    I’m sure we will agree that, like the Dubs, they should be pilloried for the next few weeks... or maybe for some strange reason that won’t happen.

    https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2021/0408/1208525-gaa-to-investigate-alleged-monaghan-training-breach/

    No different than the Dubs.

    There is only one word for it if true.

    Cheating.

    While i think that once the January wave had receded and cases had fallen that teams should have been able to go back training, these teams knew what the situation was. Anyone who decided to go ahead and train was trying to get ahead of their opponents who were following the rules.

    The problem in my opinion was the weak punishment handed out to Cork and Down. I said it at the time both needed to be thrown out of the league. No one else would have dared train then.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭cms88


    I’m sure we will agree that, like the Dubs, they should be pilloried for the next few weeks... or maybe for some strange reason that won’t happen.

    https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2021/0408/1208525-gaa-to-investigate-alleged-monaghan-training-breach/

    For like with the Dubs for some strange reason the GAA will actually do nothing about it...


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Tombo2001


    Its unreal - how many COVID breaches are there going to be in GAA.

    Its an absolute shocker, one rule for the gaa and another for the rest of us........

    Who do they think they are.


  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast


    Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Its unreal - how many COVID breaches are there going to be in GAA.

    Its an absolute shocker, one rule for the gaa and another for the rest of us........

    Who do they think they are.

    You think every non GAA person in the club yeh hasn’t committed a covid “breach” whatever the hell that is anymore. Group of lads training outdoors oh the horror this country is a cess pit it really is. Not a day goes by that I don’t see cyclists or runners “breaching” covid rules and good luck to them at this stage.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭the kelt


    Like the case with the Dublin footballers people need to cop themselves on being outraged over a few young men in a park kicking a ball to one another!

    Honestly what have we become in this country


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,887 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1


    I'm just amazed more teams not training despite restrictions, I suspect a lot are

    Is maith an scáthán súil charad.




  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon




  • Registered Users Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭ebbsy


    At this rate Wicklow will be the only team left in the championship, and we will take our rightful place on the throne.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭MFPM


    While like Dublin, Cork and Down they broke the rules and will have to take their punishment, there's something unseemly about the people sneaking around taking photos and videos - this type of 'curtain twitching' has been a nasty side of the pandemic.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭cms88



    To be fair that has nothing to do with this


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer


    I’m sure we will agree that, like the Dubs, they should be pilloried for the next few weeks... or maybe for some strange reason that won’t happen.

    https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2021/0408/1208525-gaa-to-investigate-alleged-monaghan-training-breach/
    The Dublin breach only broke this time last week and already there's barely anything further about it. On this forum, there was uproar for around 24 hours and pretty much nothing since. Obviously, the 6 time in a row All Ireland champions are going to garner more publicity than Monaghan but Dublin haven't been "pilloried for weeks".

    The only thing that annoys me about these "breaches" is that it gives people with an axe to grind with gaelic games more ammunition. The fact that it's been confirmed that 0.1% of all cases (i.e. less than the number of cases confirmed yesterday) have been transmitted outdoors shows how utterly stupid the ban on outdoor training is.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭mattser


    The Dublin breach only broke this time last week and already there's barely anything further about it. On this forum, there was uproar for around 24 hours and pretty much nothing since. Obviously, the 6 time in a row All Ireland champions are going to garner more publicity than Monaghan but Dublin haven't been "pilloried for weeks".

    The only thing that annoys me about these "breaches" is that it gives people with an axe to grind with gaelic games more ammunition. The fact that it's been confirmed that 0.1% of all cases (i.e. less than the number of cases confirmed yesterday) have been transmitted outdoors shows how utterly stupid the ban on outdoor training is.

    Far greater risk in GAA matters is the social scene around the club finals last year. Club football should be banned for 2021, end of.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields


    Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Its unreal - how many COVID breaches are there going to be in GAA.

    Its an absolute shocker, one rule for the gaa and another for the rest of us........

    Who do they think they are.

    If it was one rule for the gaa and one rule for the rest of us, the teams caught training would face no consequences. That is clearly not the case with precedents set in this regard. So your post is completely inaccurate.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭rpurfield


    There's young people kicking ball up and down the country every day. I have a spot I go to at least once a week with my young lad to get him out and it's always a lottery if we will get a goal post spare. A lot of the times its families like ourselves, but other times there's three or four that are obviously off a team and look like they're doing their own thing, but always with a bag of balls. The point I'm getting at is it would be easy for teams to arrange a session to be sent on WhatsApp, arrange equipment discreetly and keep the coaches away from it so it looks like a group of bored young people passing time. The biggest crime with Dublin and Monaghan are being silly enough to be caught in the current climate.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭overshoot


    The Dublin breach only broke this time last week and already there's barely anything further about it. Dublin haven't been "pilloried for weeks".

    Ah now let them have their persecution complex, easier to blame everyone else than admit things at your own door.

    Dublin CB gave out the same suspension as the Cork manager got from the GAA and it seems to have been enough to end it. I'd imagine Monaghan will do the same as if they wait for the GAA to decide the ban will only start later and cover actual game / training time. The restrictions are a pile of crap at this stage (imo-seperate argument) but they are still in place so the same rules apply. 3 month break for Banty unless they find a sacrificial lamb who organised it on his own accord and takes the ban


  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag


    I think that, like the Dubs, they should be left alone because there is **** all harm in a group of lads training together outside, and that this country badly needs to stop entertaining the cowardly curtain twitchers that are dragging us all down.

    It's not about curtain twitching or whatever other little boring phrases people like you throw out to those that are being careful. It’s not like them training will kill anyone. It’s not life or death as such but it is pure ignorance of a very high level to know the rules and go ahead and do it anyway, and for that alone they all should be punished.

    As someone else mentioned above, it's cheating, however you want to paint it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000


    MFPM wrote: »
    While like Dublin, Cork and Down they broke the rules and will have to take their punishment, there's something unseemly about the people sneaking around taking photos and videos - this type of 'curtain twitching' has been a nasty side of the pandemic.

    We all know the rules by now. If you are going to break them in full view of the public, you can't really be outraged when you are caught.

    Many would say nasty is giving yourself an unfair advantage


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭whippet


    its amazing how many lads I see these days just happening to arrive at the beach, football field, openspace at the same time .. usually with football boots, cones and poles ... pure coincidences all over the country too

    Stones and glass houses come to mind.

    It just shows what a myth is has been that we have been in level 5 lockdown since december ... the country as a whole hasn't been locked down .. the pubs and shops have been shut but life has been going on with a nod and a wink all along.

    So we can't say that lockdown hasn't worked as we haven't actually done it


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭MFPM


    We all know the rules by now. If you are going to break them in full view of the public, you can't really be outraged when you are caught.

    Many would say nasty is giving yourself an unfair advantage

    Indeed we do and there are very very few of us who have not and do not break the rules. Monaghan like the other counties know the rules a chose to break them and as such they'll take their punishment. None of that of course negates a more general point about the curtain twitchers and the unseemly spying that some of these people seem to engage in.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck


    DuffleBag wrote: »
    It’s not like them training will kill anyone. It’s not life or death as such but it is pure ignorance of a very high level to know the rules and go ahead and do it anyway, and for that alone they all should be punished.

    Exactly, for a lot of people the rules are more important than life or death.

    https://wiki.c2.com/?TheFiveMonkeys


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭IRE60


    rpurfield wrote: »
    There's young people kicking ball up and down the country every day. I have a spot I go to at least once a week with my young lad to get him out and it's always a lottery if we will get a goal post spare. A lot of the times its families like ourselves, but other times there's three or four that are obviously off a team and look like they're doing their own thing, but always with a bag of balls. The point I'm getting at is it would be easy for teams to arrange a session to be sent on WhatsApp, arrange equipment discreetly and keep the coaches away from it so it looks like a group of bored young people passing time. The biggest crime with Dublin and Monaghan are being silly enough to be caught in the current climate.


    There was 'organised' sessions (coach and equipment) for underage players in Endas, Bushy and Tymon parks (Dublin) last weekend as I saw them all in action!


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭statto25


    mattser wrote: »
    Far greater risk in GAA matters is the social scene around the club finals last year. Club football should be banned for 2021, end of.


    Club GAA should be banned or all club sports, just so we can get an idea of your agenda


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭recyclebin


    I think most GAA people have an issue with teams getting an unfair advantage rather than the breaking of Covid restrictions. It could be seen as a from of cheating.


  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000


    MFPM wrote: »
    Indeed we do and there are very very few of us who have not and do not break the rules. Monaghan like the other counties know the rules a chose to break them and as such they'll take their punishment. None of that of course negates a more general point about the curtain twitchers and the unseemly spying that some of these people seem to engage in.

    So you think what the curtain twitchers are doing is worse? You don't have to be spying to see someone flouting lockdown rules. Surely you can understand annoyance that some feel they are above them?

    I'd only be bothered by curtain twitchers if I was doing something I shouldn't. Really don't care what others do with regards to the reporting to be honest. I'm sure they feel what they are doing is right


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭eggy81


    mattser wrote: »
    Far greater risk in GAA matters is the social scene around the club finals last year. Club football should be banned for 2021, end of.

    Of course it should. It’s absolutely lethal.


  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭thebronze14


    Good for them out training. Most people are doing something similar around the country I would say as the restrictions at this stage are doing far more harm than good. At this stage it's clear that within reason if you're doing activities outdoors then there are negligible health risks


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Tombo2001


    SeaFields wrote: »
    If it was one rule for the gaa and one rule for the rest of us, the teams caught training would face no consequences. That is clearly not the case with precedents set in this regard. So your post is completely inaccurate.



    Really. Why did my kids miss three months of school this year, or did I just imagine that.

    Yes, I get that people go beyond the 5k to visit their parents.

    No, I dont get that some football teams think they can meet up to train when every sports team in the country has been told not to train.

    I really am so annoyed about this, so soon after the Dubs were at it. Who the f**k do they think they are.

    And to your other point - where are the breaches with other sports? With basketball? With gymnastics? With Athletics? Sports that have been impacted far more severely by COVID.

    I dont see it, I dont hear about it - GAA has been at it consistently.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭celt262


    Good for them out training. Most people are doing something similar around the country I would say as the restrictions at this stage are doing far more harm than good. At this stage it's clear that within reason if you're doing activities outdoors then there are negligible health risks

    I take your point but they are getting an unfair advantage over other counties who are not holding full panel training sessions. I know most are doing something but not on this scale.

    It's not about whether the rules are bullsh1t or not the GAA have strict rules in place in relation to this and this is a clear breach.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets


    Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Really. Why did my kids miss three months of school this year, or did I just imagine that.

    Yes, I get that people go beyond the 5k to visit their parents.

    No, I dont get that some football teams think they can meet up to train when every sports team in the country has been told not to train.

    I really am so annoyed about this, so soon after the Dubs were at it. Who the f**k do they think they are.

    And to your other point - where are the breaches with other sports? With basketball? With gymnastics? With Athletics? Sports that have been impacted far more severely by COVID.

    I dont see it, I dont hear about it - GAA has been at it consistently.

    I'm with you there. There is no emoji for the outrage I'm feeling right now.


Advertisement