Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monaghan footballers reported to have trained together - RTÉ report.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I assume all those involved are getting €100 fines sent out to them like all the other restriction breakers got?

Could the GAA players who really believe that their need to kick a ball trumps the law stay fit by dancing jigs on the graves of those who contracted the virus and died?

It's time to get a grip, the rules are the rules. If anyone doesn't like them, phone your TD and ask for changes in the legislation. This idea that some GAA players are above the law needs to be stopped, especially when they are gaining an advantage over counties that follow the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Really. Why did my kids miss three months of school this year, or did I just imagine that.

Your kids are indoors in a confined space and as kids have less perception of space so its not comparable to a group of players training outdoors

I was annoyed at all 3 intercounty teams who have been caught and indeed all teams who havent but dont think that its just GAA teams doing these sessions. Its GAA teams being caught as they are high profile compared to a local GAA/Soccer/Basketball/Tiddlywinks who are at it all the time but its not being reported. The same can be applied to groups meeting up for covert coffee, playdates, walks in groups. You cant tar everyone with the same brush to suit a bias against an org/sport/group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Could the GAA players who really believe that their need to kick a ball trumps the law stay fit by dancing jigs on the graves of those who contracted the virus and died?

It's time to get a grip, the rules are the rules. If anyone doesn't like them, phone your TD and ask for changes in the legislation. This idea that some GAA players are above the law needs to be stopped, especially when they are gaining an advantage over counties that follow the rules.

Talk about hyperbole. Its not just the GAA players at this. I live close to the Phoenix Park. Over the last few weekends around the 15 acres I've seen groups of men playing soccer. In some cases its been just obviously a kick about. But on 2 or 3 occasions it's looked far more organized, cones, multiple footballs, player looking like they are doing drills

It is a formal training session. More then likely. Am I outraged or bothered, not in the slightest.

It just people getting on with their lives

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Really. Why did my kids miss three months of school this year, or did I just imagine that.

Yes, I get that people go beyond the 5k to visit their parents.

No, I dont get that some football teams think they can meet up to train when every sports team in the country has been told not to train.

I really am so annoyed about this, so soon after the Dubs were at it. Who the f**k do they think they are.

And to your other point - where are the breaches with other sports? With basketball? With gymnastics? With Athletics? Sports that have been impacted far more severely by COVID.

I dont see it, I dont hear about it - GAA has been at it consistently.

And again, one rule for them, one rule for us would imply they'll face no consequences for collective training. That is not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Rosita

I think that, like the Dubs, they should be left alone because there is **** all harm in a group of lads training together outside

Funny how the GAA accepted the Level 5 restrictions at all then. They should have brought this science-based argument in front of NPHET.

ShyMets wrote: »
    Talk about hyperbole...

In fairness, those who are simply pointing out that there is a pandemic and that's slightly more important than kicking a ball were dismissed as "cowardly curtain twitchers" in the first response to the OP.

We need to call these people out for what they are doing, showing contempt for the entire situation and for those who have lost family members. The GAA really must stop turning a blind eye to it, the players have to be punished, they are adults and they made a choice to train.

In fairness, those who are simply pointing out that there is a pandemic and that's slightly more important than kicking a ball were dismissed as "cowardly curtain twitchers" in the first response to the OP.

We need to call these people out for what they are doing, showing contempt for the entire situation and for those who have lost family members. The GAA really must stop turning a blind eye to it, the players have to be punished, they are adults and they made a choice to train.

Curtain-twitching, squinting windows, talking about "lads kicking a ball" and accusing people of "outrage" are standards in this situation. I suppose there is a subtle acknowledgement that it is an attempt to defend the indefensible that the actual substantive issue is avoided at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

No different than the Dubs.

There is only one word for it if true.

Cheating.

While i think that once the January wave had receded and cases had fallen that teams should have been able to go back training, these teams knew what the situation was. Anyone who decided to go ahead and train was trying to get ahead of their opponents who were following the rules.

The problem in my opinion was the weak punishment handed out to Cork and Down. I said it at the time both needed to be thrown out of the league. No one else would have dared train then.

Looking back at it the Cork and Down punishments were ridiculously soft especially when you consider the punishments handed down for breaking the training ban in pre-COVID times.

Armagh and Laois lost home games in 2019 for being found guilty of breaking the training ban.

Cork and Down broke the training ban during a time when the GAA had suspended all GAA activity because of COVID and lose a home game and the managers got 8 and 12 weeks respectively.

Dublin and Monaghan have now breached the GAA training ban and government regulations.

This is the perfect example of what happens when you hand out weak punishments - people will take the view that there is a only a chance they will be caught, if they are caught they can try and find some loophole or technicality to appeal it and even if they are punished, the punishment will be the bare minimum or maybe a smidge more than that.

Meanwhile the people who do the decent thing and act with integrity and follow the rules are left feeling like fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Suspending Banty is an advantage to Monaghan, they should have forced him to stay for another 5 years, that would be a real punishment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

recyclebin wrote: »
    I think most GAA people have an issue with teams getting an unfair advantage rather than the breaking of Covid restrictions. It could be seen as a from of cheating.

This. It's 100% cheating.

Moaning about curtain twitching, Stalinism, etc is irrelevant. These teams are breaking GAA rules to gain an unfair advantage. Fcuk both of them out of the championship and anyone else caught doing it too.

These people are literally dragging the GAA's name through the mud and have retroactively justified the government's decision to deny inter county football and hurling elite status in the regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,187 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Rosita wrote: »
    that it is an attempt to defend the indefensible

A reminder, the "indefensible" here is a few lads training outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭MFPM

Moaning about curtain twitching, Stalinism, etc is irrelevant. These teams are breaking GAA rules to gain an unfair advantage. Fcuk both of them out of the championship and anyone else caught doing it too.

These people are literally dragging the GAA's name through the mud and have retroactively justified the government's decision to deny inter county football and hurling elite status in the regulations.

A ridiculous post full of bombastic hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

MFPM wrote: »
    A ridiculous post full of bombastic hyperbole.

cheat
    /tʃiːt/

verb
    gerund or present participle: cheating
    act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage.

"she always cheats at cards"

Words have meaning. These teams have been cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Talk about hyperbole. Its not just the GAA players at this. I live close to the Phoenix Park. Over the last few weekends around the 15 acres I've seen groups of men playing soccer. In some cases its been just obviously a kick about. But on 2 or 3 occasions it's looked far more organized, cones, multiple footballs, player looking like they are doing drills

It is a formal training session. More then likely. Am I outraged or bothered, not in the slightest.

It just people getting on with their lives

Myself and the bro train with cones, ladders and multiple footballs. We are not working to a programme but simply know what we are doing. We want to be sharp for when action returns + its good to get out and do a bit.

Have seen a few people walking by just looking at us like we are doing something wrong when in reality we are just getting our exercise in within the 5k and training hard. We live together aswell with no one else in the apartment.

Too many curtain twitchers at the moment. Covid has brought out the worst in people. A few young lads kicking a ball around a field is very different to a funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

SeaFields wrote: »
    And again, one rule for them, one rule for us would imply they'll face no consequences for collective training. That is not the case.

Remind me of the consequences for the players again?

Myself and the bro train with cones, ladders and multiple footballs. We are not working to a programme but simply know what we are doing. We want to be sharp for when action returns + its good to get out and do a bit.

Have seen a few people walking by just looking at us like we are doing something wrong when in reality we are just getting our exercise in within the 5k and training hard. We live together aswell with no one else in the apartment.

Too many curtain twitchers at the moment. Covid has brought out the worst in people. A few young lads kicking a ball around a field is very different to a funeral.

Again the double standards of the GAA. Talking out both sides of the mouth.

When they are restricted from training, and for example League of Ireland is allowed play, then its all about how they are Elite Athletes and how anyone can say they are not elite athletes and the League of Ireland guys are is a complete joke blah blah blah.....

But when they break the rules, they are just a bunch of lads kicking a ball around a field sure whats the big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭celt262

Remind me of the consequences for the players again?

They are getting rewarded they wont have to listen to the Banty at training or games for 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Again the double standards of the GAA. Talking out both sides of the mouth.

When they are restricted from training, and for example League of Ireland is allowed play, then its all about how they are Elite Athletes and how anyone can say they are not elite athletes and the League of Ireland guys are is a complete joke blah blah blah.....

But when they break the rules, they are just a bunch of lads kicking a ball around a field sure whats the big deal.

League of Ireland is professional and players need to put food on the table. GAA is supposed to be ameteur. That's the difference between elite and not elite. Nothing to do with how hard you work or train or skill level.

recyclebin wrote: »
    League of Ireland is professional and players need to put food on the table. GAA is supposed to be ameteur. That's the difference between elite and not elite. Nothing to do with how hard you work or train or skill level.

Absolutely.

But a narrative from GAA pundits that we've consistently heard in recent months is that its a 'joke' that they are not considered elite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭Patser

ebbsy wrote: »
    At this rate Wicklow will be the only team left in the championship, and we will take our rightful place on the throne.

London and New York will take ye, as they will have all that additional, no restrictions training done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Not sure why you have limited your proposed sanctions to two teams, going by sanctions already imposed by the GAA there are 4 teams.

A reminder, the "indefensible" here is a few lads training outdoors.

You forgot to add "while everyone else is expected not to do so".

Bloody curtain twitchers, asking people to comply with the rules and GAA teams to stop cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭rrs

The club will pay a fine or some punishment too for allowing it. The Club in Dublin facing some sanction.
    It was Bantys own club Corduff ,so he's made a right mess up,.

The GAA was suppose to be revealing date's and fixtures today but this could delay things. Larry McCarthy said any more breaches after the Dublin incident could delay the restart. Though the Monaghan training supposedly took place at the end of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,187 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Rosita wrote: »
    You forgot to add "while everyone else is expected not to do so".

"Indefensible". When talking about lads training outside in April.

I went for a 20k run last weekend, I supposed that was "indefensible" too?

Or perhaps some people badly need a healthy dose of perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

Shock horror, is that 4 teams altogether that have broken level 5 restrictions, I blame the Dubs, always the Dubs fault, financial and population doping again. They should be banned for ever, broken up into 8 teams and all their all-Irelands should be stripped and equally distributed to Kerry and Mayo

Actually 2 teams have broke level 5 restrictions

Neither Cork nor Down broke the law, just GAA rules..

Dublin & Monaghan must at have at least the same punishment as Cork & Down, and preferably more as they have actually broken the law ..If Dublin & Monaghan don't lose home advantage for a League game, very unfair!

cheat
    /tʃiːt/

verb
    gerund or present participle: cheating
    act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage.

"she always cheats at cards"

Words have meaning. These teams have been cheating.

If the rules were in place to prevent teams gaining an advantage then you may have a point however the rules are in place for public health protection and that is the 'crime' they are guilty off. I stand over my description of your initial post.

I'm with you there. There is no emoji for the outrage I'm feeling right now.

If you feel 'outrage' about this then might I suggest you get some perspective. They shouldn't have been out even though the rules are absurd they were caught and they've been punished.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

MFPM wrote: »
    If you feel 'outrage' about this then might I suggest you get some perspective. They shouldn't have been out even though the rules are absurd they were caught and they've been punished.

I was speaking in jest. But agree fully about people getting outraged

Advertisement