Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monaghan footballers reported to have trained together - RTÉ report.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

ebbsy wrote: »
    At this rate Wicklow will be the only team left in the championship, and we will take our rightful place on the throne.

London and New York will take ye, as they will have all that additional, no restrictions training done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

This. It's 100% cheating.

Moaning about curtain twitching, Stalinism, etc is irrelevant. These teams are breaking GAA rules to gain an unfair advantage. Fcuk both of them out of the championship and anyone else caught doing it too.

These people are literally dragging the GAA's name through the mud and have retroactively justified the government's decision to deny inter county football and hurling elite status in the regulations.

Not sure why you have limited your proposed sanctions to two teams, going by sanctions already imposed by the GAA there are 4 teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

A reminder, the "indefensible" here is a few lads training outdoors.

You forgot to add "while everyone else is expected not to do so".

Too many curtain twitchers at the moment. Covid has brought out the worst in people. A few young lads kicking a ball around a field is very different to a funeral.

Bloody curtain twitchers, asking people to comply with the rules and GAA teams to stop cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭rrs

The club will pay a fine or some punishment too for allowing it. The Club in Dublin facing some sanction.
    It was Bantys own club Corduff ,so he's made a right mess up,.

The GAA was suppose to be revealing date's and fixtures today but this could delay things. Larry McCarthy said any more breaches after the Dublin incident could delay the restart. Though the Monaghan training supposedly took place at the end of March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Rosita wrote: »
    You forgot to add "while everyone else is expected not to do so".

"Indefensible". When talking about lads training outside in April.

I went for a 20k run last weekend, I supposed that was "indefensible" too?

Or perhaps some people badly need a healthy dose of perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

Shock horror, is that 4 teams altogether that have broken level 5 restrictions, I blame the Dubs, always the Dubs fault, financial and population doping again. They should be banned for ever, broken up into 8 teams and all their all-Irelands should be stripped and equally distributed to Kerry and Mayo

Actually 2 teams have broke level 5 restrictions

Neither Cork nor Down broke the law, just GAA rules..

Dublin & Monaghan must at have at least the same punishment as Cork & Down, and preferably more as they have actually broken the law ..If Dublin & Monaghan don't lose home advantage for a League game, very unfair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭MFPM

cheat
    /tʃiːt/

verb
    gerund or present participle: cheating
    act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage.

"she always cheats at cards"

Words have meaning. These teams have been cheating.

If the rules were in place to prevent teams gaining an advantage then you may have a point however the rules are in place for public health protection and that is the 'crime' they are guilty off. I stand over my description of your initial post.

ShyMets wrote: »
    I'm with you there. There is no emoji for the outrage I'm feeling right now.

If you feel 'outrage' about this then might I suggest you get some perspective. They shouldn't have been out even though the rules are absurd they were caught and they've been punished.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

MFPM wrote: »
    If you feel 'outrage' about this then might I suggest you get some perspective. They shouldn't have been out even though the rules are absurd they were caught and they've been punished.

I was speaking in jest. But agree fully about people getting outraged

The age of technology you think people would realise that it is very easy to catch somebody out gaa rivalry as strong as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Again the double standards of the GAA. Talking out both sides of the mouth.

When they are restricted from training, and for example League of Ireland is allowed play, then its all about how they are Elite Athletes and how anyone can say they are not elite athletes and the League of Ireland guys are is a complete joke blah blah blah.....

But when they break the rules, they are just a bunch of lads kicking a ball around a field sure whats the big deal.

Hardly the GAA imposing double standards. They have acted quickly again and McEnaney is banned for 12 weeks. They acted decisively and on the day the news broke, same as Farrell, so there's no double standards here. https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2021/0408/1208525-gaa-to-investigate-alleged-monaghan-training-breach/

GAA is huge, Croke Park can't be personally responsible for every person kicking a ball. They set the rules, when broken they punish them.

Hope others learn a lesson from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Fred Daly wrote: »
    The age of technology you think people would realise that it is very easy to catch somebody out gaa rivalry as strong as ever.

This one came from the inside by all accounts. Training sessions were held in the manager's home club pitch. Will they be sanctioned too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

KevRossi wrote: »
    Hardly the GAA imposing double standards. They have acted quickly again and McEnaney is banned for 12 weeks. They acted decisively and on the day the news broke, same as Farrell, so there's no double standards here. https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2021/0408/1208525-gaa-to-investigate-alleged-monaghan-training-breach/

GAA is huge, Croke Park can't be personally responsible for every person kicking a ball. They set the rules, when broken they punish them.

Ah give us a break....they acted with punishments so severe that teams are quite happy to break the rules and take the hit. Phantom punishment.

The real hit to these teams is on their reputations.

A lot of people are very annoyed by this.

And to an earlier post - am I outraged? No.

Am I annoyed? Yes. The GAA has been treated very leniently compared to other sports through COVID, and despite that has taken the piss a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

cms88 wrote: »
    To be fair that has nothing to do with this

He was up and down to Dublin regularly during lockdown, with other workers, carrying out work on his vacant properties. So I think both issues show he has little regard for laws or guidelines.

• Advertisement

ShyMets wrote: »
    I was speaking in jest. But agree fully about people getting outraged

Mea culpa :)

Effects wrote: »
    He was up and down to Dublin regularly during lockdown, with other workers, carrying out work on his vacant properties. So I think both issues show he has little regard for laws or guidelines.

Would that not be deemed as essential work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Imagine having to say the words "video of the training session was sent to the justice department" and not busting out laughing at how ridiculous this pissant little country has become.

This one came from the inside by all accounts. Training sessions were held in the manager's home club pitch. Will they be sanctioned too?

Somebody did it to do as much damage as they could, people are so pied off they dont care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

KevRossi wrote: »

I dont have an issue with counties training. Especially when it was announced last week that something like 0.1% of all covid cases came from outdoor transmission but.....

Probably worth pointing out that the GAA have not issued any kind of ban or punishment to the Monaghan or Dublin managers and players. Their respective county boards have banned them in the hope that will suffice and they have them back in time for championship games.

The GAA will have to add their own ban/punishment on top of it or else the optics of this will look terrible for the association. And what's the point in having lads in croke park if counties can just decide their own punishment for themselves.

• Advertisement

The GAA will as per their set precedent impose a 12 week suspension. It may workout longer as the Monaghan CB have started the process early by imposing their own 12 week ban. The problem is the precedent was set in dealing with Cork and Down.

• Well I've changed my tune on this.

40 people at the session is absolutely ridiculous and drags the whole organisation into disrepute. The Dublin one was not near as bad.

Absolute shower of idiots, throw the book at them. Fines, bans whatever else. How did they think they would get away with it.

The response needs to be proportional and optics wise this is worse than Down, Dublin and Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Ya the Monaghan one is the worst so far by a long ways. The scale of it was utter stupidity

ArielAtom wrote: »
    The GAA will as per their set precedent impose a 12 week suspension. It may workout longer as the Monaghan CB have started the process early by imposing their own 12 week ban. The problem is the precedent was set in dealing with Cork and Down.

Exactly. That is why I cant understand the Dublin and Monaghan CB going early and banning the manager. The GAA will have to ban both also which means a potential 24 week ban if they're consistent and impose 12 weeks themselves on top of the county boards own punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

The GAA have ruled the suspension by county board null and void

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Why not go early? They can't do any group sessions right now, there's no games to go out and watch opposition. If they can get a week or 2 taken up in covid downtime they could have got it back in actual playing and training time later. It was a smart move into and worth a shot by the CBs. The GAAs ban is seperate to the CBs so can't run concurrently.

AFAIK on the length of ban a few posts ago, I think it fell under a specific heading which made it 8-12weeks as a min/max

benji79 wrote: »
    The GAA have ruled the suspension by county board null and void

That makes the most sense. Cant have county boards dictating their own punishment tbf

Tombo2001 wrote: »

The GAA has been treated very leniently compared to other sports through COVID,

Sorry, just wondering what your argument on this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Liaison

In this case I dont think banty was organising the training sessions. The players were behind this . There is no love for banty in monaghan Donal Buckley was at the training session? Will he be punished?
    It will blow over in a week.

In relation to corks soft punishment..Michael Martin's son was at the training session.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Exactly. That is why I cant understand the Dublin and Monaghan CB going early and banning the manager. The GAA will have to ban both also which means a potential 24 week ban if they're consistent and impose 12 weeks themselves on top of the county boards own punishment.

I think it is just the county wanting to appear to be proactive. If they did nothing they’d be accused of arrogance. There’s no winning with some people, as you know well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭celt262

Liaison wrote: »
    In this case I dont think banty was organising the training sessions. The players were behind this . There is no love for banty in monaghan and I wonder was this planned by the county board to get rid of him? Donal Buckley was at the training session? Will he be punished?
    It will blow over in a week.

In relation to corks soft punishment..Michael Martin's son was at the training session.

He should be if he was outside his 5km.

celt262 wrote: »
    He should be if he was outside his 5km.

Just wondering why you think being "outside his 5km" is the issue and not having an organised training session? Surely both are in breach of restrictions?

Both Dublin and Monaghan will likely lose any home fixtures in the League. The club's where the training took place will likely Face fines or something stronger.
    It was Bantys own club Corduff so all seems appropriate for him inside the 5k.

rrs wrote: »
    Both Dublin and Monaghan will likely lose any home fixtures in the League. The club's where the training took place will likely Face fines or something stronger.

:pac: the clubs fined because the county team held a training session. Would you stop. Of all the hyperbole I've read over the last week or so, that's right up there.

Good for you. It was reported on off the ball, that clubs will likely Face sanctions too for having an organised training take place

Hardly hyperbole.

Good for you. It was reported on off the ball, that clubs will likely Face sanctions too for having an organised training take place

Hardly hyperbole.

Clubs where the club has been caught training, yes. As is the case of the club in cork. The clubs wont be fined for having county training at their facilities. Wouldn't make any sense. The county gets punished for that, not the club.

And why wouldn't it make sense.? The club could just close the grounds and say it's against the guidelines to have training.
    Or maybe you think they weren't aware 25 player's and management were on the local pitch? Sure..

And why wouldn't it make sense.? The club could just close the grounds and say it's against the guidelines to have training.
    Or maybe you think they weren't aware 25 player's and management were on the local pitch? Sure..

When a county trains at the facilities, the club wouldn't have much of a say. County board decision. Of course it makes no sense to punish a club for a decision they're not making.

Except this is during lockdown..Not a standard county training at a Club pitch. And the Monaghan chairman said her wasn't even aware of the training takin place,so how could he organise it? Obvious he knew but that argument doesn't stack up

Bantu the chancer obviously organised in his home pitch

• Advertisement

Except this is during lockdown..Not a standard county training at a Club pitch. And the Monaghan chairman said her wasn't even aware of the training takin place,so how could he organise it? Obvious he knew but that argument doesn't stack up

Bantu the chancer obviously organised in his home pitch

I still dont see why you want clubs "fined or something stronger". It still doesn't make sense to me to punish a club for a county breach so I'll have to leave you to it. No point going round in circles.

"i said that's what was reported on off the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

dobman88 wrote: »
    When a county trains at the facilities, the club wouldn't have much of a say. County board decision. Of course it makes no sense to punish a club for a decision they're not making.

A county team needs permission to use a clubs facilities....trust me I've had this problem in thr past with a county team where we literally couldn't get a club pitch to train on the week of a championship game.

Somone in authority in the club gave this the go ahead. They knew what they were facilitating. They need to be sanctioned to make it clear that this was unacceptable. If a playet got seriously injures and took a claim against the club there was no insurance. If i was a trustee of the club i would not be happy.

"i said that's what was reported on off the ball.
    If you can't get you're head around that, then that's your problem.

Not sure why you're getting ratty. This is what you originally said. Not a mention of Off The Ball until you were questioned on it.

Well unless you only read here for information,I thought some might have been aware. I've seen journalists like John Fogarty mention it on Twitter also.

You seemed pretty sure the club's had no fault regardless

Well unless you only read here for information,I thought some might have been aware. I've seen journalists like John Fogarty mention it on Twitter also.

You seemed pretty sure the club's had no fault regardless

I dont follow Off The Ball so wouldn't have seen it. Also I dont like assuming things that people dont say so was just taking your post for what it said. If you meant something else from another source its probably best to mention that.

The clubs do have no fault imo. That wont change.

As I said. No point going round in circles so I'll leave it there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭CaboRoig

It's f***ing stupid of Monaghan (and Dublin and whoever else is at this).
    And there's no way every other county is at it. Most are sticking to the regulations in the hope of getting back together later this month.
    As for the GAA being treated lightly. Not at all. There are plenty of other amateur sports clubs and groups breaking regulations too and not getting any punishment for it.

That's fair enough. Not sure why you think the club are faultless but you're opinion.
    If Conor McManus done his ACL on the pitch it would have dug a deeper hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Is the use of pitches/grounds against the restrictions? I live near a large GAA club and a large junior soccer club. I frequently pass both clubs and often there are lads (7 to 8) on the GAA pitch with a bag of balls, cones etc doing training while I have never seen anyone on the soccer club's pitch.

That's fair enough. Not sure why you think the club are faultless but you're opinion.
    If Conor McManus done his ACL on the pitch it would have dug a deeper hole

Plenty of big holes in pitches in Monaghan.

signostic wrote: »
    Is the use of pitches/grounds against the restrictions? I live near a large GAA club and a large junior soccer club. I frequently pass both clubs and often there are lads (7 to 8) on the GAA pitch with a bag of balls, cones etc doing training while I have never seen anyone on the soccer club's pitch.

Yes there shouldn't be anyone on them even for a kick around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement