Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bars are open under level 3 in Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,911 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Outdoor dining will be permitted from the 7th June with indoor dining only permitted for residents in Hotels

Reckon publicans in John Street will get permission to extend there outdoor seating areas for weekends. Tully's/Tom Mahars could get the outdoor area again. Sadly some places wont have much of an option

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Is there no limit to the number of people outdoors when drinking? Could be a hairy situation with tonnes of people outside the pub knocking back pints for hours on end. A pent up demand to get sloshed in the area of similar pubs...no different from being indoors in my view.

Is there no limit to the number of people outdoors when drinking? Could be a hairy situation with tonnes of people outside the pub knocking back pints for hours on end. A pent up demand to get sloshed in the area of similar pubs...no different from being indoors in my view.

Think i overheard 'Industry specific guidelines' will be issued

Won't be a free for all

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Flow Motion

PTH2009 wrote: »

Won't be a free for all

It will be difficult to police though esp for place closed since March 2020. If you owned a pub your gonna open it and try make some money regardless.
    The John St area could turn into one huge session area which might lead to some messy behaviour as the night progresses.
    TBH we have all been locked away for a third of the year with virtually no social outlet. People are entitled to let the hair down and enjoy. There is a lot of pent up frustration to be released!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

It will be difficult to police though esp for place closed since March 2020. If you owned a pub your gonna open it and try make some money regardless.
    The John St area could turn into one huge session area which might lead to some messy behaviour as the night progresses.
    TBH we have all been locked away for a third of the year with virtually no social outlet. People are entitled to let the hair down and enjoy. There is a lot of pent up frustration to be released!

I for one won't be releasing my frustration in any scenario like that in the near future. Leaving covid aside, the anti social behaviour that will inevitably go with others "releasing their frustrations" would put me right off.
    My future social life is going to involve a lot of back gardens, gazebos and bbqs.
    But admittedly I'm in my forties so it takes little to please me in that regard!

• Advertisement

Don't Revolution have a big outdoor area out the back ?

Pinks will do well with the big seating area

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

kuang1 wrote: »
    I for one won't be releasing my frustration in any scenario like that in the near future. Leaving covid aside, the anti social behaviour that will inevitably go with others "releasing their frustrations" would put me right off.
    My future social life is going to involve a lot of back gardens, gazebos and bbqs.
    But admittedly I'm in my forties so it takes little to please me in that regard!

I believe pergolas are the current trend. You need to get with the programme :)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Won't be a free for all

Will be all done via square footage and tables having to be 2m apart also, MM was on Newstalk this morning and he said the specific guidelines would be issued in the next couple of days

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Will be all done via square footage and tables having to be 2m apart also, MM was on Newstalk this morning and he said the specific guidelines would be issued in the next couple of days

Opening hours will be interesting, no way will they let them open til 2am

11.30pm close 7 days a week im guessing

Where I see the problem is say somewhere like the Hub or Kazbar, the most they could have would be 15-20 people and with no time limit in place, how financially viable would it be for them to actually open. What if two groups of 6 came (6 is still going to be the max in a group) in at 7pm and decided to stay till 10/11, and just drank a few social pints. Their areas are going to need to be increased, so hopefully the council will accommodate that.

• Advertisement

saw this on FB

'At last some good news 🙂 , We hope to see ye all back at The Woodman Bar Waterford on June 7th . Outdoor only but we will be working on our back yard to make sure we have more seating available .
    The Woodie is Back ......................'

Great news love that pub

Another place which could be made into some job is the Wander Inn as the owner owns the car park at the back of it but he's old school so unlikely it's going to reopen for outdoors

saw this on FB

'At last some good news 🙂 , We hope to see ye all back at The Woodman Bar Waterford on June 7th . Outdoor only but we will be working on our back yard to make sure we have more seating available .
    The Woodie is Back ......................'

Great news love that pub

Another place which could be made into some job is the Wander Inn as the owner owns the car park at the back of it but he's old school so unlikely it's going to reopen for outdoors

Not a hope in help John Aylward will reopen for outdoor dining:pac::pac: As you say, John would be quite old now and Id be surprised if he reopened at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Not a hope in help John Aylward will reopen for outdoor dining:pac::pac: As you say, John would be quite old now and Id be surprised if he reopened at all.

Hes had it on the market a few times and it never sold tis a decent size pub with a large function room at the back and that carpark makes it a nice sized plot in the middle of the city centre.

Any word on the street about what places may open from the 7th June

Is the Apple Market/John Street area been refixed to allow more outdoor dining ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Any word on the street about what places may open from the 7th June

Is the Apple Market/John Street area been refixed to allow more outdoor dining ?

Doubt it as that would be far too sensible and would only mean that the roof would have a reason for being.

Doubt it as that would be far too sensible and would only mean that the roof would have a reason for being.

Yep very true, it is the Waterford City Council at the end of the day

The Hub and the kazbar could make it some room

Geoff's wouldn't need it esp with the big smoking area and there front area is a decent size

Market Bar/Heerys/Revolution would be in a spot of bother in terms of expanding there outside area

Tis a **** up in reality with lots of places been unable to open outdoors

Should have a communal area under the roof where you can sit and have your food or drink no matter where you have bought it in that area.

Kitty Keirnins and Kervicks are gone for good I've heard

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭aziz

And Doyle’s,so not a pub left on barrack street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭dzilla

Noticed that all Kittys stuff is for auction down the auction rooms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭nomoedoe

aziz wrote: »
    And Doyle’s,so not a pub left on barrack street

Both been turned into apartments with spar extending the off license into Doyle’s from what I heard ,probably won’t be long now and rice guest house will be the same.

Jesus Norrisses the only place left in Barrack Street and with the way there such a 'locals only' type place (refer to there ways of opening parts of last year)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭nomoedoe

Jesus Norrisses the only place left in Barrack Street and with the way there such a 'locals only' type place (refer to there ways of opening parts of last year)

Norris’s is in Slievekeale ;) ,but yeah it’s probably the first time ever there’s never been a pub on barracks street.

Just off the top of my head all these pubs are been turned into apartments or already have ,Doyle’s,kitty’s,gerrys,the owls nest ,bolgers.

Kervicks and Sal's gone too.

The number of 'Traditional pubs ' in Waterford City is going down rapidly :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭aziz

Anyone know anything about the lantern,heard last year that the causeway group bought it

Id say they will change that stupid locals only rule soon enough when they realise pubs are closing left, right and centre, and they need all the money they get. Thats if you want to set foot in there, some of the regulars there are dodgy out.

Kervicks and Sal's gone too.

Where is Kervicks, is that not Bull and Green on Ballybricken?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Id say they will change that stupid locals only rule soon enough when they realise pubs are closing left, right and centre, and they need all the money they get. Thats if you want to set foot in there, some of the regulars there are dodgy out.

I'm from very near it. They're welcome to it. ****ing dump.

• Advertisement

It's not the worse place esp for a match. Its like most places if you make trouble you'll get trouble
    Where is Kervicks, is that not Bull and Green on Ballybricken?

Yep that's it, they only done up there smoking area in 2018/2019 and it would be ideal for outdoor service. Let's hope they do reopen at some stage.

From Ballybricken/Barrack Street/Yellow road and areas around it, the only places left are Nickys, Alfie Hales, The Exchange,Tap room, Norrises, Caulfields,The Crannog, The Tavern, Old Ground (on the glen think that its name). Its so to tell will places actually reopen

Advertisement