Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy and Hector Podcast

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I’m enjoying this as well, a bit of levity in the main although the episode about Tommy’s mam was very moving.

On a brighter note, the debs story episode was brilliant, Tommy’s description of his clothes had me in stitches. They’re three great storytellers and I love the meandering format.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Have just recently started listening to this. Like others I find myself laughing a lot while out walking.

Would never have said I'm a big fan of either of the lads but this series is fantastic. To echo someone else's sentiments, Hector has a great outlook on life. In fairness to him, he's a master story teller. The most recent episode I listened to had a cracking story where Hector was at a Christmas party and had too much to drink. Tommy and Laurita are in stitches and then Hector goes "...and it gets better......"

• Registered Users Posts: 24 singmeasongy

Enjoy the podcast but hardly laugh a minute like ye seem to think.

I find that Laurita one annoying and not sure what she adds to the podcast. Seems to just laugh at nothing. Tommy and Hector could carry it on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Enjoy the podcast but hardly laugh a minute like ye seem to think.

I find that Laurita one annoying and not sure what she adds to the podcast. Seems to just laugh at nothing. Tommy and Hector could carry it on their own.

It isn't meant to be laugh a minute. Just like hanging out with your mates. You aren't going to spend an hour just laughing non-stop.

Laurita is definitely necessary. I imagine if the two lads were on their own, you would have a podcast full of absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭onrail

Somehow, it reminds me of 2fm Breakfast Republic with Bernard Jen and Keith back in the day. Three presenters who just bounced incredibly well off each other talking nothing but nonsense, but when any one of them was missing, it didn't work at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Last week when Tommy went off on one rambling about Dick Keogans car - was laughing like a loon at that one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Good episode today, but short. Hector losing the rag with the other 2 for slagging his auntys male name was gas.

Listen to this particular podcast on the recommendations of work colleagues. Total contrived shiote and not one bit funny. And the woman was in stitches which was put on. They are too dependent on the f word as well. Know I'm in the minority here and in work but won't be listening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Have just recently started listening to this. Like others I find myself laughing a lot while out walking.

Would never have said I'm a big fan of either of the lads but this series is fantastic. To echo someone else's sentiments, Hector has a great outlook on life. In fairness to him, he's a master story teller. The most recent episode I listened to had a cracking story where Hector was at a Christmas party and had too much to drink. Tommy and Laurita are in stitches and then Hector goes "...and it gets better......"

Which episode was this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Which episode was this

Sorry wrong person

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Listened to an episode today "Rialto Madrid", and right at the end, just after they each took a swig of poitin, it cut to Hector's story from a prior episode of camping in Connemara and waking up the next morning hungover and in bits. What was that all about does anyone know? Seemed to be a strange and hasty edit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Listened to the first 2 last night in bed. I liked it. Easy to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Raoul wrote: »
    It isn't meant to be laugh a minute. Just like hanging out with your mates. You aren't going to spend an hour just laughing non-stop.

Laurita is definitely necessary. I imagine if the two lads were on their own, you would have a podcast full of absolute nonsense.

I love Laurita's inputs and find her very funny on her own. I think she has a great laugh too. It wouldn't be the same without her.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Tommy doing Born in the USA with the navan accent was fúcking hilarious. I find the bits they laugh can sometimes be not that funny, but the bits that seem to go unnoticed are hilarious. His dads reaction to Patricia the Stripper was great too. Also, the duet of Don't Pay The Ferryman. Great podcast, I hope I don't get sick of it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

In the last few episodes they've had moments of prolonged laughter and for me they've left that audio in too long. It moves from enjoying the joke with them to feeling a little alienated from the three of them. Also it leaves a little bit of awkward dead space as they recover and then it takes them a while to get back the pod back on track.

It's a small gripe about a podcast I look forward to listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Raoul wrote: »

For what it's worth, Tommy and Hector were together on their own for a very popular 2FM radio show and podcast back in 2010. It's very similar to the current show.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Cienciano wrote: »
    Tommy doing Born in the USA with the navan accent was fúcking hilarious. I find the bits they laugh can sometimes be not that funny, but the bits that seem to go unnoticed are hilarious. His dads reaction to Patricia the Stripper was great too. Also, the duet of Don't Pay The Ferryman. Great podcast, I hope I don't get sick of it.

This. Have not laughed like that in an age.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Cienciano wrote: »

Really good episode, I only got to listen to it yesterday when I was out for my walk. “Elvis is dead” I was laughing uncontrollably but trying to disguise it so I probably looked like I was crying. The segue into the piece you mention above was so entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

It's good, if only Hector would stop shouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I see they have a sponsor now. Fair play to them. I have been finding it hit and miss though and personally I don't like the editing as it does give it a contrived feel. I have been listening more to Tommy's solo podcast these mornings.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The story Tommy told of getting to and ripped off in Barcelona was gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyvegas22

Anyone else listens to this while walking? people must think I'm mad smiling and laughing at myself

Hector in his army camp with his mother looking for him was great

Hector describing going for a chipper with his family last week really is a testament to the man's ability to tell a story.

Hector describing going for a chipper with his family last week really is a testament to the man's ability to tell a story.

I'm listening to episode 27, Hector had a story of his perfect day. His wife going to the shops asking if he wants anything. "a selection of classic ice pops".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

I found Hector's story of the Trans-Siberian railway fascinating, sought out the show it's from. (the actual train journey begins near the end of the episode, "Dinner with Dennis" starts at 41:35)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭onrail

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    I found Hector's story of the Trans-Siberian railway fascinating, sought out the show it's from. (the actual train journey begins near the end of the episode, "Dinner with Dennis" starts at 41:35)

I don't say it too often, but the man is a treasure. Such a gift for storytelling, coupled with his experiences down through the years make for great listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

I'm assuming the news is that they are going to be doing 2 podcasts a week as they dicussed it briefly in the last podcast. Great news :)

https://twitter.com/tommyhectorshow/status/1378760297343807488

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

So the extra episode goes behind a paywall. No surprise really. No problem giving them 7 euro a month in return for the pure joy they've given me this past hellish year.

Fair enough I suppose, but works out at €8.61 a month which is expensive when I compare it with other podcasts I pay for. As much as I like it, I'll give it a miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

No problem giving the €8 for now , no gym to use or pay for currently and the podcasts definitely makes my daily walk go that bit quicker and more enjoyable.. €2 a week is good enough value. Price Of a takeaway coffee .

Advertisement