Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Tommy and Hector Podcast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wow, echo what ye said. That podcast should not have gone out. I think the pod in general great and I find it hilarious but that one was terrible. Tommy was some dick head. Hector tried to smooth over the cracks, but really couldn't change the mood after Tommy dragged his "joke" out for 20 minutes. And the made up bullshít story about his dog eating his keys was pretty half arsed too. The "dust allergy" explains it a bit, but they should have cut that first 20 minutes out or just not released it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm not a regular listener, in fact the most recent episode was the only one I've listened to so far, but I was amazed how much of an overbearing arse Tommy was on it. Here was me thinking he was in danger of becoming a national treasure thanks to the TV show....

But, a lot of it makes sense now. Talking about allergies, local coke and comparing the town to the feeling of an MDMA comedown.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭Cartman78

As others have said, this podcast has gone very stale recently.

Seems to be a standard format of Tommy doing his grumpy old man schtick at the start, followed by Hector saying how busy/tired he is, Laurita mentioning Joe Biden, and then Hector telling a long shaggy dog story from one of his travel programs 20 years ago.

I used to listen first thing on a Thursday but losing interest lately, didn't bother with last week's one at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

How did they agree to release the podcast? It was completely uncalled for to continue to insult Laurita about ballina, however they have her over a barrel in terms of her contribution to the show.

I spent most of the show thinking “what the f*ck?” In my head as Tommy continued.

Either that or he wanted to get people talking about the podcast by pulling off a stunt like this.

Poor form and a shame as I have been really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Brackwom

My favorite podcast is Milltown Malmo of The Tommy, Hector & Laurita.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Dee_28 wrote: »
    I agree, I thought Tommy was unbelievably nasty about Ballina and Mayo, and it put a real downer on the podcast. I felt bad for Laurita and if it was me I would have walked out of the studio. Both Tommy and Hector treat her badly, Tommy is worse but in several episodes I have noticed them either talking over her or ignoring her completely.

A bigger question for me is why she's involved at all tbh. This isn't Tommy and Hector's first podcast, did they feel they needed a female voice or representation to have wider appeal for this new one. Imo she adds very little to it and often is plain annoying.
    I was really enjoying the first few episodes but they need to start bringing on some guests its getting boring just listening to the two guys talking about themselves!! Like who gives a toss what Tommy wears or if he drinks whiskey or not, at least Hector has some interesting stories.

100%. I lost interest weeks ago and often only stick it on of I've burned through my other pods. As someone else noted, it's around the time they started a paid episode so not sure if that's where the good content is going or if they simple have run it as far it will go. There is only so much that happens in a week before it starts repeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SteadyNed

Reati wrote: »
    A bigger question for me is why she's involved at all tbh. This isn't Tommy and Hector's first podcast, did they feel they needed a female voice or representation to have wider appeal for this new one. Imo she adds very little to it and often is plain annoying.

Disagree completely with this. Without her, it wouldn't work in my opinion. No doubt, the two lads are the main event, but they need a 'real person' to bounce off. And to be fair she has a good personality, good back-story of her own and thick enough skin to work well with whatever they can throw at her.

I can guarantee a Tommy and Hector Podcast wihout her would have been a short lived disaster. If nothing else, they would have ost the rag with each other by now.

I agree, I think Laurita is vital. Definitely need someone to talk about, bounce things off and she's good craic and gets on well with the 2 lads. I don't think it would work without her.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭dog_pig

SteadyNed wrote: »
    Disagree completely with this. Without her, it wouldn't work in my opinion. No doubt, the two lads are the main event, but they need a 'real person' to bounce off. And to be fair she has a good personality, good back-story of her own and thick enough skin to work well with whatever they can throw at her.

I can guarantee a Tommy and Hector Podcast wihout her would have been a short lived disaster. If nothing else, they would have ost the rag with each other by now.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, Tommy and Hector had a very popular radio show and podcast over a decade ago. It was similar in a lot of ways to the current podcast (probably better overall to be honest), so the idea that it wouldn't work without Laurita doesn't really wash.

dog_pig wrote: »
    As was mentioned earlier in the thread, Tommy and Hector had a very popular radio show and podcast over a decade ago. It was similar in a lot of ways to the current podcast (probably better overall to be honest), so the idea that it wouldn't work without Laurita doesn't really wash.

100%

• Advertisement

Matter of opinion I suppose. How long did their last gig run for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Is she doing something around the production side of things? I think she mentioned she worked in radio before

It started on a local station around 2008 and they moved to 2FM in 2010. Think they stopped in or after the summer break in 2010. Hector moved to the morning show IIRC and Tommy was on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Of course it's a matter of opinion. The point is that the relevant evidence doesn't support the idea that the show wouldn't work without her.

Here are their 2FM shows:

https://player.fm/series/series-2281916

I’d rather have the shows with her.

Of course it's a matter of opinion. The point is that the relevant evidence doesn't support the idea that the show wouldn't work without her.

Here are their 2FM shows:

https://player.fm/series/series-2281916

Thanks for the links, I'll definitely give them a listen.

So, is anyone subscribed to the bonus pod? Is it a better listen than the free one?

Reati wrote: »
    So, is anyone subscribed to the bonus pod? Is it a better listen than the free one?

It’s basically the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I agree, I thought Tommy was unbelievably nasty about Ballina and Mayo, and it put a real downer on the podcast. I felt bad for Laurita and if it was me I would have walked out of the studio. Both Tommy and Hector treat her badly, Tommy is worse but in several episodes I have noticed them either talking over her or ignoring her completely.

I was really enjoying the first few episodes but they need to start bringing on some guests its getting boring just listening to the two guys talking about themselves!! Like who gives a toss what Tommy wears or if he drinks whiskey or not, at least Hector has some interesting stories.

Havnt listened to it as yet but I’m curious

What did he say about ballina that was unbelievably nasty?

I think Laurita is struggling on her own, Tommy holds the power and himself and Hector have a long work/friendship history and the guys are bigger personalities with alot more experience in media circles. Laurita can be hilarious when she's not fighting for space with the other two. I think they need to get a fourth person involved. Tommy and Hector could be a bit less egotistical, they have had plenty of media attention. A fourth member might help Laurita to relax a bit more, then she might not feel the need to try so hard. She is clearly not comfortable talking about her partner...or sharing personal stories but expects it from the other two which is annoying.
    I agree though with other posters it is getting stale...no difference in the bonus episodes either, I am thinking of cancelling my subscription tbh. There is a tense atmosphere now, Tommy goes beyond banter and just insults people, it's unpleasant.to listen to, he can be a right miserable pr$%k and seems to be jealous of Hector. I quite like Hector, he takes pleasure in everyday life and doesn't feel the need to be snide or negative. Familiarity breeds contempt I guess..either get fresh blood in or end it...and lose the fake cultchie accents...pitiful!!

• Advertisement

There is a tense atmosphere now, Tommy goes beyond banter and just insults people, it's unpleasant.to listen to, he can be a right miserable pr$%k

I went right off him years ago, I was at a gig and he gave a few young lads in front row a hard time and imo like you said, went beyond banter. They told him where to go and they got ****ed out. The rest of the show was pretty tense after that and was a rush to the end.

That said, the Podcast can be very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Havnt listened to it as yet but I’m curious

What did he say about ballina that was unbelievably nasty?

I think it was more the lenght of time he went on about it rather than saying anything particularly nasty. Basically he was saying it was a depressing hole of a town, whcih may have been considered a bit of banter if he had left at that. But he literally kept going on about it for the entire podcast, made it a bit awkward to listen to as Laurita was clearly getting fed up with him.

Just listening now

Whoa.....

Def a bit of needle between tiernan and laurita

A nasty belligerent bollix is how I’d sum him up - no need for it whatsoever

The “national treasure” mask slips ...

Hector seemed almost afraid to confront tiernan on his behaviour

Whispering “harsh” almost apologetically

Was tiernan half scuttered during it?

Loads of cursing and swearing in it from him

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Was tiernan half scuttered during it?

Loads of cursing and swearing in it from him

Dust allergy
    Also prob drowsy from antihistamines

Sorolla wrote: »
    Dust allergy
    Also prob drowsy from antihistamines

Sure....

There does not seem to be any great chemistry between any of the 3

I think the 2 Johnny’s podcast has a different quality.

There is a great chemistry between the 2 Johnny’s and also great chemistry between them and Maura

They let each other finish their sentences and they generally seem to like each other

Tommy Hector and Laurita don’t even come across as being kind to one another

I will not listen to the podcast tomorrow

Hector seemed almost afraid to confront tiernan on his behaviour

Whispering “harsh” almost apologetically

I think Hector tried to calm him down but Tommy wasn't having any of it. Hector was doing it in a more "kicking him under the table" as they were recording.

After listening to a few episodes I think the 2 personalities work well together. Tommy needs hector to keep his feet on the ground. I reckon Tommy would be fairly up his own hole, at least Hector is a bit more level headed.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    I think Hector tried to calm him down but Tommy wasn't having any of it. Hector was doing it in a more "kicking him under the table" as they were recording.

After listening to a few episodes I think the 2 personalities work well together. Tommy needs hector to keep his feet on the ground. I reckon Tommy would be fairly up his own hole, at least Hector is a bit more level headed.

It is unfair to Laurita considering all the great work she does for charity.

I wonder do they have a podcast plan or is everything just as spontaneous as it sounds.

Maybe this controversy was part of a master plan - look at all the uproar there is on boards.ie that this one podcast has caused.

I reckon we could be in for a cracker of a podcast tomorrow especially if any of them are keeping an eye on the outroar on this thread

Advertisement